Securing a 50” panny plasma to a tabletop? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current entertainment center has a shelf where my old 30 wide 120lbs CRT rests. The shelf sticks out 6 from the tall side book shelfs but I am reluctant to just place it there on its own stand for fear stampeding kids would cause the 50 plasma to tip forward off the shelf. Is there any way to bracket or screw the stand down into the wood of my entertainment center?

I see plenty of wall mounts, but are there any table mounts for a 50 Panasonic plasma?

How about using the mountnig holes in back to strap or teather it to the entertainment center?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAppraiser View Post

My current entertainment center has a shelf where my old 30 wide 120lbs CRT rests. The shelf sticks out 6 from the tall side book shelfs but I am reluctant to just place it there on its own stand for fear stampeding kids would cause the 50 plasma to tip forward off the shelf. Is there any way to bracket or screw the stand down into the wood of my entertainment center?

I see plenty of wall mounts, but are there any table mounts for a 50 Panasonic plasma?

How about using the mountnig holes in back to strap or teather it to the entertainment center?

Your fear is unfounded, the stands aren't made to tip over. You would need 2 or more stampeders to lift it up off the stand and drop/throw it.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

You don't know my kids. The oldest is 150lbs and has made the entertainment center sway just by running to the front door. Right now I am thinking of getting eyeloop bolts in the right size and securing the tv to the back of the entertainment center with picture hanging wire.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:

You don't know my kids. The oldest is 150lbs and has made the entertainment center sway just by running to the front door. Right now I am thinking of getting eyeloop bolts in the right size and securing the tv to the back of the entertainment center with picture hanging wire.

I'm not sure about the stands for Panasonic and I don't think many people bother to do it, but the instructions for the Pioneer KRP-TS01 stand for a 60" Pro-141fd show exactly that. Eyeloop bolts and wire attached to a wall for stabilization. The other option on that stand is little brackets that get attached to the back edge of the stand and are supposed to get screwed to the "table" top. I don't think many people do that either. Myself included.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You cannot tip over 80 pound TV set that easily. You need to exert lot of force to move it unless the kids are "super kids"
post #6 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You have to look at the particular stand. At least with the Pioneer stands, there's usually still space (ie mounts) on the back of the display so you can attach a hook to the display and the wall and run a cord to keep it in place. The other thing Pioneer stands usually have are holes to bolt or screw down the stand to the table surface.

If that's something you're interested in, I would look into what stands are available for your set that have something like that. Also make sure you check the composition of your table top to make sure it's thick enough to handle 1.5-3" screws going through. If it's solid wood it should work. If it's plywood or other artificial crap, it's probably a no-go in which case I'd see if you can do the wall-hook method. Hope that helps
post #7 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I plan on reinforcing the countertop with ¾ inch OSB covered in tasteful contact paper. I did not see any holes on the base in the store. I may just bend two strips of steel and bolt those to countertop so the base slides under them. Then screw in a small wooden stop block to keep the set from sliding forward. Sorry if I seem paranoid, but I like to over engineer the heck out of everything.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

My current entertainment center has a shelf where my old 30” wide 120lbs CRT rests. The shelf sticks out 6” from the tall side book shelfs but I am reluctant to just place it there on its own stand for fear stampeding kids would cause the 50” plasma to tip forward off the shelf. Is there any way to bracket or screw the stand down into the wood of my entertainment center?

Back in 2005 when i switched from a big Tube TV to a Plasma, i was very concerned that it might be easier to tip forward in an earthquake. The big '94 earthquake caused a lot of my neighbor's Tube TVs to fall forward off their tables and onto the floor - luckily mine stopped just short but it was hanging off the edge (but my table lamps, bookcase, and most of the contents of my bath and kitchen cabinets ended up on the floor). I've also seen a few news stories where a child pulled a Tube TV forward and it fell on top of him with deadly results. Since the Plasma is taller and narrower my perception was that it's top heavy and easy to tip forward, but it turned out that it's actually the opposite.

All three of my Plasmas are very difficult to tip forward on the supplied stand due to how much the stand's base projects forward. It was much easier for me to tip my old 27" and 32" tube TVs forward than any of my Plasmas. When you attempt to tip a Flat Panel TV forward, the cantilever effect of the stand actually lifts the weight of the TV up off the table so you're not just tipping it forward, you're also lifting 70-80-90 lbs worth of TV up and off the table as the front edge of the stand pivots up onto it's "tippy-toes". As soon as you start to pull it forward, the TV suddenly feels really heavy and resists your pulling.

A kid would have to literally grab the top with both hands and intentionally pull the TV over on top of him, and it takes a lot of force to do so. They look like they're easy to tip, but their weight is somewhat centered over the rear half of the stand which plants the stand onto the table top and makes it very difficult to pull forward. With the Tube TVs, most of the weight is located at the very front where the glass is and i could literally pull them forward with two fingers hooked over the top rear of the cabinet (i tested them), but those same two fingers are not strong enough to pull my plasmas forward. Try it on your existing Tube TV and see how easy it is to pull that beast foward. Then if you know anyone with a large Plasma or LCD sitting on a table stand, try the same trick and you'll immediately see what i mean. I demonstrate this at various friends' and family's homes when they bring up concerns about their new flat panel TV tipping over and they're usually pretty surprised at how much more stable their flat TV is than the Tube TVs elsewhere in the house.

If all else fails, you could always drill a few small holes through the rear of the plastic base and screw it to the table, or tethering it to the wall or entertainment center would give more peace of mind too.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

post #10 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

I highly recommend this stand...

http://www.amazon.com/TV-Stand-Regal...5622368&sr=8-1

Although I'm not sure its exactly what you are looking for, or if you're trying to spend money. If you can afford it though get it. The review for it was written by me
post #11 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Randy you are correct, I was thinking that the higher center of gravity on a flat panel plasma would make it easier to tip.

bryanb thanks for the Safety1st link. Do these Panasonics have standard VESA mount holes?

rjpinyou I look at that stand in Sears. It is very nice, but it would have to go infront of our existing entertainment center since it does not have room for our hundreds of dvds.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I believe the Panasonic stands have small holes in the back used to secure the stand. I know that was the case with my original 42" 60U from 2006. Panasonic even included plastic strips and screws to place in the holes and to attach to a cabinet at the opposite end.

David Freeman
post #13 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Randy you are correct, I was thinking that the higher center of gravity on a flat panel plasma would make it easier to tip.

"Center of gravity" is exactly right when it comes to a plasma. All the weight is in the center or a little towards the rear of the stand, whereas with a crt all the weight is in the very front where it is very easy to knock over or pull down.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. If I end up buying one on Monday I will post pics once it is delivered.

Another thought, since I only have 6" of shelf space from the back of the panel I am not sure if the entire front of the stand will be supported. I may need to use my 3/4" OSB sheet to extend the shelf area.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page