Color sensor on Elite 111: yellows the monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this has been covered before, could someone please point me to it? I spent a half-hour searching with no luck

I just connected the color sensor to my Elite 111. The set is about 8 months old, properly broken in using D-Nice's method, and is being used in pure mode (I know, I know... I need to calibrate it). The room its in is quite dark, with medium-taupe paint, a dark hardwood floor and very low lighting coming from a floor lamp using incandescent bulbs. Without the color sensor attached, everything looks great, if a little bit heavy on the contrast (again, calibration needed).

When I plug in the colour sensor and turn it on (mode 2), however, everything gets a yellow/gold colour. The play button and other OSD elements become gold rather than white. It's quite a drastic difference, and a little unsettling.

Is there anything that can be done to adjust this, other than turning the color sensor off again? I like the idea of the TV adjusting its settings based on the viewing environment, but was hoping that it would adjust them for the best.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia View Post

If this has been covered before, could someone please point me to it? I spent a half-hour searching with no luck

I just connected the color sensor to my Elite 111. The set is about 8 months old, properly broken in using D-Nice's method, and is being used in pure mode (I know, I know... I need to calibrate it). The room its in is quite dark, with medium-taupe paint, a dark hardwood floor and very low lighting coming from a floor lamp using incandescent bulbs. Without the color sensor attached, everything looks great, if a little bit heavy on the contrast (again, calibration needed).

When I plug in the colour sensor and turn it on (mode 2), however, everything gets a yellow/gold colour. The play button and other OSD elements become gold rather than white. It's quite a drastic difference, and a little unsettling.

Is there anything that can be done to adjust this, other than turning the color sensor off again? I like the idea of the TV adjusting its settings based on the viewing environment, but was hoping that it would adjust them for the best.

Thanks in advance...

do you have experience with properly calibrated displays? If not, I can see where you are coming from. Going from an overly bright, out of box settings to something more accurate, it can seem the whites are off. They will look more brown/gold, vs an overly white/bluish color, That said, you stated you used D-nice settings, so the change shouldn't be that dramatic.

IMHO go back to D-nice's post break-in reference settings and get it calibrated. With my ISF calibration I don't use the the color sensor. I have a day setting and a night setting and occasionaly switch between the two.

Good luck
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zivman. The whites without the sensor are currently white, and with the sensor they are definitely yellow/gold. At first I thought I was seeing things, so I did some in-deapth looking: its not an illusion.

For others that had their sets calibrated: sensor or no sensor? The Pio rep I spoke with today said I should use it, but God only knows if I should believe him.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 AM

Kevin Miller calibrated my Kuro and the first thing he did was disable to color sensor.
How can a 15 dollar part accurately decide the color setting?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Unplug the sensor.

Under no circumstances would you want to use the color sensor with a calibrated TV. Beyond that, its use is a matter of preference, and it seems your preference is clear.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it would be the processing of the signal transmitted by the $15 part that would make the difference, frankly, soundwatts. But not using it makes sense given the fact that it doesn't seem to work all that well in my environment. Maybe it's made for brighter, more vibrant rooms

At least the D-Nice settings are pretty fantastic. Someday I'll have to find a good calibration person who comes North of the Border and get the TV done right. Of course, knowing my luck, as soon as the TV is calibrated for the room my wife will want me to move it to the basement
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Abulia View Post

Thanks in advance...

How do you have the sensor oriented? Is it pointing towards the light or is it facing the viewing area?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

How do you have the sensor oriented? Is it pointing towards the light or is it facing the viewing area?

Right now it is facing the viewing area (placed in the recommended position on the lower right side of the screen as viewed from the seating position). The light sources are off to the right and left of the viewing area.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Update: After waiting far too long, I took the plunge and used ControlCAL to calibrate my 111 to the D-Nice settings. For a lark, I tried using ISF-Auto with the D-Nice settings and the colour sensor on to see what was what. Results? In "Pure" mode, the colour sensor still gives the picture a yellow tint in my viewing environment. In "ISF-Auto", no yellow tint at all. I don't know if this is a calibration thing or if ISF-Auto simply doesn't use the colour sensor, but I sure like ISF-Auto more.

I should also note that other than that difference, I do not yet notice a huge difference between ISF-Day/Night/Auto and Pure modes. Perhaps in a totally dark viewing environment with some more chromatic source material it will be clearer.

Other note: The ISF calibrations were done per D-Nice's recommended settings. ISF-Auto was programmed exactly the same as ISF-Day, but with the Intelligent Mode set to 1 instead of 0.

Other other note: is it just me, or is there not much of a difference between ISF-Day and ISF-Night?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
ISF Night and Day are exactly the same. They're only different when using different settings.

If you've plugged in D-Nice's settings for each, there should be a very significant variation in light output between the two. ISF Auto automatically adjusts light output based what the light sensor is picking up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page