Panasonic TC-P42S1 buzzing and fan noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-24-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Panasonic TC-P42S1 about 2 weeks ago. I use it in the bedroom, so many times I have the volume low so my wife can sleep. I noticed a slight buzzing sound when a bright scene comes on. I also can hear the fan when I'm close to the TV. I've read about buzzing on these units, so I contacted Panasonic service and they sent a repair person. They listened to the buzzing and told me all the plasmas buzz. My sister-in-law has a 42" Samsumg plasma about 3 yrs old and I don't hear a buzzing nor the fan from that unit. Ditto from my father's Panasonic 4 yr old plasma. I'm tempted to take the unit back to Sears and exchange it for another, but I don't want to go through that if all I'm going to get is another unit with the same problem. Can anyone tell me if all the Panasonic plasmas have this problem like the service tech said?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

I have the panasonic 54V10 and can easily notice fan noise at 10+ feet, but hardly any buzz. I called panasonic too and they told me my level of (fan)noise was normal. I debated returning it, but ended up keeping it. I do not use it in the bedroom however. I got a (silent) LCD for that where viewing angle issue is not so important. If the primary us of my plasma was for a quiet bedroom I would have definitely returned it and not bothered with an exchange.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaa View Post

I purchased a Panasonic TC-P42S1 about 2 weeks ago. I use it in the bedroom, so many times I have the volume low so my wife can sleep. I noticed a slight buzzing sound when a bright scene comes on. I also can hear the fan when I'm close to the TV. I've read about buzzing on these units, so I contacted Panasonic service and they sent a repair person. They listened to the buzzing and told me all the plasmas buzz. My sister-in-law has a 42" Samsumg plasma about 3 yrs old and I don't hear a buzzing nor the fan from that unit. Ditto from my father's Panasonic 4 yr old plasma. I'm tempted to take the unit back to Sears and exchange it for another, but I don't want to go through that if all I'm going to get is another unit with the same problem. Can anyone tell me if all the Panasonic plasmas have this problem like the service tech said?

I have the same model and the same problem except I don't notice the fan. Whenever the screen gets bright, I hear the buzz even at normal volumes for a bedroom. It's very distracting during quiet scenes. Adjusting the contrast and brightness does nothing but make the picture look worse.

So I took it back and exchanged it for the same model. Low and behold, the new set is identical. The same distracting buzz. I can clearly hear it from my bed 14 feet away. I listened to a friend's Zenith plasma and I can only hear a buzz if I put my head right up to the back of the set.

I hate to take it back because I love the picture. I couldn't ask for anything more. But I can't deal with this noise. I think I'll go with a different brand. I will sacrifice a little picture quality to get a TV I can listen to without being driven batty.

I wrote a review about this on Amazon, and they've yet to publish it. Funny, after 46 reviews, there are none that mention this buzz. I read every one completely. But if you research a few forums you'll find many people with the problem. Maybe they got too many negative reviews about the buzz and automatically reject them.

Whatever the case may be, I'm disappointed. Two in a row with the noise must be more than a coincidence. I'd like to know if anyone has this model without any audible buzz from such a distance.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

I have the tcp42x1 and I get no noise at all. This model for some reason does not have fans either on the back just the holes where the fans would have gone. I have it wall mounted about 10' away from the head of our bed.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshdtv View Post

I have the tcp42x1 and I get no noise at all. This model for some reason does not have fans either on the back just the holes where the fans would have gone. I have it wall mounted about 10' away from the head of our bed.

I'l have to look into this one. Maybe being wall-mounted muffles the noise?

Mine's on a stand about a foot away from the wall. It definitely comes from somewhere in the back.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2k9 View Post

I'l have to look into this one. Maybe being wall-mounted muffles the noise?

Mine's on a stand about a foot away from the wall. It definitely comes from somewhere in the back.

The X1 series has no fans.

Larry
post #7 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

The X1 series has no fans.

Larry

I have no problem with the fans, but the buzz the topic creator is talking about when the screen gets bright on the TC-P42S1. They're two different issues. The buzzing comes from below the fans.

I'm trying to get used to this, but it's a little too much. Maybe this TV would work in a living room or somewhere with more noise to drown out the buzzing. Sometimes when the volume is low the buzzing is just as loud as the actual sound during a bright scene.

Second unit...same problem. This would be the perfect TV for me if it wasn't for that. I'm just curious if all these models do it or if I just had really bad luck getting two in a row.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2k9 View Post

I have no problem with the fans, but the buzz the topic creator is talking about when the screen gets bright on the TC-P42S1. They're two different issues. The buzzing comes from below the fans.

I'm trying to get used to this, but it's a little too much. Maybe this TV would work in a living room or somewhere with more noise to drown out the buzzing. Sometimes when the volume is low the buzzing is just as loud as the actual sound during a bright scene.

Second unit...same problem. This would be the perfect TV for me if it wasn't for that. I'm just curious if all these models do it or if I just had really bad luck getting two in a row.

Try turning the contrast down a bit.

Larry
post #9 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Try turning the contrast down a bit.

Larry

I've tried that and all other picture settings. It doesn't really help and makes the picture look worse.

I would try to wall mount to muffle the sound, but I think 14' is already a little too far away for my taste. I'd have to go back a little over a foot.

I may try to hang a piece of cardboard or something where the wall would be to see if that helps, if that's safe. If not I'll just take it back. It's just a pain lugging this thing back and forth to Sears in my car. Packing it back in the box is a nightmare the way they had everything taped up.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just got mine Sunday and haven't noticed any buzzing, only a little fan noise when switching inputs, vol. low, etc... Have you checked your manufacturing date? Mine says December 2009.

PSN ID: javant86

post #11 of 23 Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM

November 2009 here.

Have you tried yours in a quiet room? The loudness depends on what's on the screen...usually when it's something bright or in HD. At least with cable. I'm watching a HD channel right now with the bedroom door open, and I can still hear the sound. Some people may pick up on the pitch more than others. I'll try a blu-ray later to see if I hear anything.

I may just upgrade to the 42" G10 model and see how that goes. I've already sunk $650 into this thing. Another couple hundred won't make much difference I guess. Unfortunately Sears doesn't seem to carry that, and it's only available through third-party sellers at Amazon right now.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 AM

I just picked one of these up, and I'm having the same buzzing issue. In brighter scenes, especially with HD content, there's a very audible buzzing coming from the TV. If I move my head around the unit, it sounds like the bottom rear is the source. I also love the picture, but I'm not sure I can handle the buzzing... and I don't feel I should have to 'deal' with an audio annoyance from a TV at this price. I almost feel like it would be less frustrating if the buzz was constant... at least my brain could tune it out after a while. But the TV will be whisper quiet on a tight (mostly dark) shot, then it will cut to a wide angle with lots of visible sky and the buzz will kick in. It's jarring, and I'm also kind of surprised that I read so many positive reviews of this TV online without anybody mentioning this problem.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtevolution View Post

I just picked one of these up, and I'm having the same buzzing issue. In brighter scenes, especially with HD content, there's a very audible buzzing coming from the TV. If I move my head around the unit, it sounds like the bottom rear is the source. I also love the picture, but I'm not sure I can handle the buzzing... and I don't feel I should have to 'deal' with an audio annoyance from a TV at this price. I almost feel like it would be less frustrating if the buzz was constant... at least my brain could tune it out after a while. But the TV will be whisper quiet on a tight (mostly dark) shot, then it will cut to a wide angle with lots of visible sky and the buzz will kick in. It's jarring, and I'm also kind of surprised that I read so many positive reviews of this TV online without anybody mentioning this problem.

Actually there are quite a few owners including me with the same issue. You can search the s1 thread for "buzz". I had some success with the acoustic form panel hung on the wall right behind the TV. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1215876

IMO, room acoustics and hearing acuity are important factors along with the unit to unit noise variance.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for pointing out that thread. It actually occurred to me that reflections off the wall were accentuating the sound... and I was able to muffle it somewhat just by dropping a thin piece of foam between the two for a quick and dirty test. I was just hoping there were certain units out there which wouldn't require me to build a sound trap or use a wall treatment. Either way, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just go that route... better than returning the TV a bunch of times trying to find one that's slightly quieter.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

My 42S1 is very noisy, alot of buzz but the sound of whatever i'm watching overpowers it abit. I have learned to deal with it. Plus only buzzes on really bright scenes.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Liked: 14
50S1, oct2009 build, buzzes louder on bright scenes, and i can only hear the fans if i put the tv on mute and get within a foot of the tv. However, unlike the poster above, I actually hear the buzzing much less since I mounted it on the wall compared to when it was on the stand, and I have no acoustic baffles on the wall.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM

I was thinking of buying a 58S1, but now I'm having second thoughts. If I haggle in-store I'll be sure and listen to the TV for this buzz/fan noise.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM

I just picked up a new TC-P42S1 from Sears tonight (2010/01/22), set it up in my bedroom and flipped it on with nothing connected to it.

The united defaulted to the Ant input with the usual black and white fuzz. I could hear a noticeable buzz/fan noise.

I flipped it to HDMI (all black since there was nothing input) and there was still a noticeable buzz, albiet lower in volume.

I flipped back to ANT and i could hear the fan spin up and the buzz got louder.

Sitting 3 feet away the buzz was very noticeable. Laying on the bed with my head at the head of the bead (~10-12ft from the TC-P42S1) I can still hear the buzz clearly even with my ceiling fan on medium.

I haven't tried hooking up an A/V source yet to see how the buzz sounds when audio is being played or in bright screens -- but I think I am going to return it regardless.

My Toshiba 51XV545U LCD is essentially silent when turned on.. so i guess ill do some more research and see if there is a quiet plasma and if not just go with LCD. Very disappointed with my foray into Plasma. Someone should beat HDGURU with a rubber hose for giving the TC-P42S1 such a high recommendation. ugh.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

They are going to buzz in bright scenes. A high contrast setting will make it worse.

I haven't noticed mine 'buzzing' in months though. Fans are quiet but still slightly audible with no sound.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch View Post

They are going to buzz in bright scenes. A high contrast setting will make it worse.

I haven't noticed mine 'buzzing' in months though. Fans are quiet but still slightly audible with no sound.

fortytwoinch - is this a problem with _all_ plasmas? are there any silent plasmas? Maybe ones that use fancy heatsinks and very low RPM fans?

I just know that the buzzing will drive me nuts if i keep this unit.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I am really annoyed by noises. My PC is completely silent and my tv is in my bedroom. It is really at the point that it doesn't bother me at all. I don't get any sort of buzz on normal contrast settings during normal viewing unless it hits a full white screen or near full white.

Vivid and 100 contrast I do though.

It is not the fans that buzz and they are quiet(but still noticeable).

Maybe with the lower power requirements of next years plasmas the buzzing will be reduced.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Thoughts on me going through the hassle of returning it for another unit? Or should i just return it an look for a different model/lcd ...
post #23 of 23 Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

It should decrease with lower contrast settings(63 in cinema is my everyday contrast). They are all going to buzz a little and have fans. Fans are a smooth noise and buzz is not really there during normal programming.

At the price and size of 42s1 you will be taking quite a dive switching to an LCD.

edit: just playing around with things and I cannot get the buzzing on mine to be as loud as it used to. even on a white commercial vivid at 100 contrast.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page