Is this normal for the Panasonic V10? or plasmas in general? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i dont have the plasma brightness that high and I have the brightness set on mid and having any image on the screen for more than a minute causes a slight burn in. If the lights are off and say im watching a blu ray movie and I pause it for a bit, when I come back and press play in the bottom right corner you can see the pause symbols faintly blurred in.

another example I pop in the game Uncharted 2 and the main title shows up "UNCHARTED 2" in massive letters and I start up the game and the letters were on the screen for no more than 30 seconds and when the screen goes black to load I can easily see "UNCHARTED 2" in the screen.

is this normal? Burn in happens very fast, although it is never permamanent. Am I missing something with the settings? or is this common with plasmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenexo View Post

i dont have the plasma brightness that high and I have the brightness set on mid and having any image on the screen for more than a minute causes a slight burn in. If the lights are off and say im watching a blu ray movie and I pause it for a bit, when I come back and press play in the bottom right corner you can see the pause symbols faintly blurred in.

another example I pop in the game Uncharted 2 and the main title shows up "UNCHARTED 2" in massive letters and I start up the game and the letters were on the screen for no more than 30 seconds and when the screen goes black to load I can easily see "UNCHARTED 2" in the screen.

is this normal? Burn in happens very fast, although it is never permamanent. Am I missing something with the settings? or is this common with plasmas?

This is known as image retention (IR), not burn in.

This question seems to pop up fairly often, so all I can recommend is doing a search on "image retention" or "IR".

I have a 50V10, and I've never noticed image retention on my set. for the first 100 or so hours I used the factory presets with contrast and brightness around 50, occasionally using either THX mode or Studio reference mode. Lately I've been switching between the C-net settings and other AVS recommended settings, and still no IR. For the life of me, I can't figure out why some people have this problem and others don't.

If it sounds good, it is good. ~ Duke Ellington

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." ~ Peter Clemenza

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenexo View Post

You are the kind of person I speak of frequently. It's IR, not burn-in. This can happen to all plasmas especially when new. It will go away and in time as you accumilate lots of hours your set will be less susceptible to it.

So umm, where all the panny people in the other threads that say Samsungs are the ones that should behave like this, not pannies

Anyway, zenexo don't sweat it. Just enjoy your set.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM

My Panny 58V10 also gets IR very quickly. It has between 250 - 300 hours. I was especially careful with the settings during the first 175 hours or so.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Liked: 12
Weird. My 58S1, from the getgo (ie NO BREAK IN) had zero IR... even from 1-2 feet I didn't see anything after 3-4 hours of FIFA 10 in the first week of ownership. I use the CNET settings from the start and they are bright enough.

I also had a buzzing B650 before that had zero IR. My philips from 3 years ago had some IR but nothing to get worried about. Only HUDs apparent after 1-2 hours of gaming but they were gone within the next minute.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM

I Had a G10 and i got ir alot. I had about 500 hours. And i followed the break-in procedure. but ir will always be an issue. so be careful
post #7 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoney View Post

I Had a G10 and i got ir alot. I had about 500 hours. And i followed the break-in procedure. but ir will always be an issue. so be careful

has your black level doubled overnight???

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Uh, don't set your contrast up so high and you'll be fine. >_>

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoney View Post

When you say you get IR a lot it is visible while watching programs or you find only when everything is dark in a dark room?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page