Friend has $5,000 to spend on a tv, wants biggest/best - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recommended the pioneer 151 and the pioneer krp-600 m. Are these still the best tv's right now? I also mentioned the 65 v10 but i understand they are hard to find right now. He wants the absolute best in picture quality and color reproduction and wants at least a 60" televison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I know that if I had $5000 to spend, I'd buy the 600m and a good surround sound setup to go with it. No question about it. I wouldn't want the possibility of my black levels doubling after usage like the Panny sets seen to be having.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would get the Panasonic 65 incher. I had to decide between getting a 60" kuro or 65" panny and am glad I went with the larger set. Is the Pio a better looking set? Yes. Is the difference night and day? Nope. In the end, I don't think it was worth paying the same or more for a smaller set with a minor increase in PQ.
post #4 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

if he wants biggest, get the 65" V10 panny... though hard to find. I disagree with ogbuehi. 'night and day', is not all that objective, but in my eyes there is a noticeable difference between the V10 and a 9G kuro.

I would say a 600M or pro-151fd are good recommendations if "He wants the absolute best in picture quality and color reproduction and wants at least a 60" televison"
post #5 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Pioneer will be the best. Also tell him they are going out of business. It is a huge amount of money. If something goes wrong after 6 months and Pioneer doesn't do a good job with support Your friend might be pissed off at you!!
post #6 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There's nothing subtle about the difference in screen area between a 65 inch and a 60 panel. A 65 inch panel has 17% more screen area than a 60 inch.

It has been widely reported that people regret not getting the largest screen size they can afford and that fits their viewing room.

This would be a no-brainer for me. Panny 65 V 10.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarthik View Post

Pioneer will be the best. Also tell him they are going out of business. It is a huge amount of money. If something goes wrong after 6 months and Pioneer doesn't do a good job with support Your friend might be pissed off at you!!

Pioneer is going to be around for a long while and won't have any issues honoring a warranty if something were to go wrong. If the person is that concerned they can aslo get an extended warranty.
post #8 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Pioneer is going to be around for a long while and won't have any issues honoring a warranty if something were to go wrong. If the person is that concerned they can aslo get an extended warranty.

They will be around for a long while but not in plasma business. They are moving on to car stereos. Nobody is going to say "I am not going to honor warranty". How effective it is going to be is the question. Their dead line is March. Service after March. How good it is going to be .Nobody knows.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

There's nothing subtle about the difference in screen area between a 65 inch and a 60 panel. A 65 inch panel has 17% more screen area than a 60 inch.

It has been widely reported that people regret not getting the largest screen size they can afford and that fits their viewing room.

This would be a no-brainer for me. Panny 65 V 10.

+1

Especially considering if the friend is asking advice on what tv to buy, its obvious hes not an Video enthusiast which means hes going to appreciate the bigger screen. The average person doesn't appreciate the small PQ increase as much as they would the size increase.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM

I recommend the Sony BRAVIA W-Series KDL65W5100 65-Inch (this thing is BEAUTIFUL!!) and Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60-Inch Class KURO Plasma (Everything about the PDP 6020 reflects the theme "KURO".....).
post #11 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. He ordered a Pioneer Pro 151-FD today from a local store.
post #12 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyman6 View Post

I recommend the Sony BRAVIA W-Series KDL65W5100 65-Inch (this thing is BEAUTIFUL!!) and Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60-Inch Class KURO Plasma (Everything about the PDP 6020 reflects the theme "KURO".....).

I had the Sony for three weeks in my home the blacks are blue and it crushes everything. Now have the v10 and much happier. Take a look on the LCD boards no one is talking about that TV.

And size matters a lot, my 65" is already looking small. I have a Kuro for my bedroom and the difference is not big enough to give up on size. And since your friend is not an experienced vidiophile size will make a difference and if he really cares then he will have it calibrated and then the differences become very small between the top manufacturers.....Steve
post #13 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post

I had the Sony for three weeks in my home the blacks are blue and it crushes everything. Now have the v10 and much happier. Take a look on the LCD boards no one is talking about that TV.

And size matters a lot, my 65" is already looking small. I have a Kuro for my bedroom and the difference is not big enough to give up on size. And since your friend is not an experienced vidiophile size will make a difference and if he really cares then he will have it calibrated and then the differences become very small between the top manufacturers.....Steve

not to mention sony killed this bad boy after almost immed. rolling off the assy line.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #14 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingImpaired View Post

Thanks for the help guys. He ordered a Pioneer Pro 151-FD today from a local store.

I think it would have been better to go with the cheaper 600M and buy a quality surround setup.
post #15 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

I think it would have been better to go with the cheaper 600M and buy a quality surround setup.

well he got the 151 for less than $4,000 according to him so he's got about a thousand left for a home theater in a box, im sure he'll find something decent for $1,000.
post #16 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I just ordered the last piece to my HT setup. I went way over budget and I'm going to have to take some $$$ out of the play account or I might be sleeping with my new toys for a few weeks..

But for $4650 I was able to get the following-

1- TC-P65S1 w/ a 3 year Extended
1- Denon DVD-2500BTCi
1- Denon AVR-2809CI
1- Emotiva XPA-2
1 Pair- Polk Audio LSi15

Not a "true" HT setup without the surrounds but I wanted a better Audio Setup for music then just the HT in a box.

I was looking at the V but for nearly $1500 more then the S I could not justify the price. BUT... that's just me...
post #17 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have no clue, and before posting nonsense do some research, first off, Pionner and Kuro is second to none, before them it was Fujitsu, reason for Fujitsu leaving the PDP business as is the case for Pioneer is that high end PDP's in today's economy are not a smart business model, so both these companies stopped producing these wonderful panels, not because they wanted to but because the economy said so, both are still in business, in Pioneers case they not only produce fine automobile audio gear, but also home audio gear, and in regards to them honoring the warranty of their PDP's, they will honor anything they manufacture including Plasmas, go to their web site and do some research, better yet just call them. Another misinformed consumer spewing junk on the www.
post #18 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post

You have no clue, and before posting nonsense do some research, first off, Pionner and Kuro is second to none, before them it was Fujitsu, reason for Fujitsu leaving the PDP business as is the case for Pioneer is that high end PDP's in today's economy are not a smart business model, so both these companies stopped producing these wonderful panels, not because they wanted to but because the economy said so, both are still in business, in Pioneers case they not only produce fine automobile audio gear, but also home audio gear, and in regards to them honoring the warranty of their PDP's, they will honor anything they manufacture including Plasmas, go to their web site and do some research, better yet just call them. Another misinformed consumer spewing junk on the www.

blah blah blah.. you won't know how the quality of the service will be after they completely shut down their business. ya.. go to their website. Obviously you don't expect them to say "we will provide poor service" after march. would you? It is definitely a factor some would consider. It is not misinformation. It is basic caution.
post #19 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:

blah blah blah.. you won't know how the quality of the service will be after they completely shut down their business. ya.. go to their website. Obviously you don't expect them to say "we will provide poor service" after march. would you? It is definitely a factor some would consider. It is not misinformation. It is basic caution.

Dude, they are not "shutting down their business". What you are accusing them of is not honoring their warranty service. Do you think GM is going to just stop honoring Pontiac warranties, just because they decided to stop making Pontiac?

Buying a Pioneer TV should not worry anyone. You are obviously misinformed about how warranties work.
post #20 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat View Post

Dude, they are not "shutting down their business". What you are accusing them of is not honoring their warranty service. Do you think GM is going to just stop honoring Pontiac warranties, just because they decided to stop making Pontiac?

Buying a Pioneer TV should not worry anyone. You are obviously misinformed about how warranties work.

Did i say they won't honor the warranty? Read it carefully And also your analogy is bad analogy.
post #21 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyman6 View Post

Sony makes the best LCD. I just picked up a 40" Sony and love it.
post #22 of 34 Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Did i say they won't honor the warranty? Read it carefully And also your analogy is bad analogy.

How is it a bad analogy?

Pioneer=GM Plasma=Pontiac.

It's a good analogy.
post #23 of 34 Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat View Post

Common sense would tell me that if my Kuro Plasma goes bad in 2 years... It will be at the shop "waiting" for parts...
post #24 of 34 Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

It may be waiting, but at least Pioneer will be stocking parts for many years to come.

The fact many people overlook is that the parts change significantly with each product cycle, and once a production run for a particular part has ended, that's it.

Some manufacturers (like Pioneer) will stock plenty of spare parts for many years to come ... and well, others just expect you'll want to throw their TV away and buy something else.
post #25 of 34 Old 11-13-2009, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

Sony makes the best LCD. I just picked up a 40" Sony and love it.

Debatable...here's where I have to defend Samsung.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Ignorance is bliss , time to ignore the misinformed.
post #27 of 34 Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

I would get the Panasonic 65 incher. I had to decide between getting a 60" kuro or 65" panny and am glad I went with the larger set. Is the Pio a better looking set? Yes. Is the difference night and day? Nope. In the end, I don't think it was worth paying the same or more for a smaller set with a minor increase in PQ.

I just saw the V10 side by side against the Pioneer and reached the same conclusion. Sitting in my recliner I'm sure I'll easily notice the extra 5" of picture size, whereas I'm not convinced that I'll be able to notice the extra PQ of the Kuro.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

I just saw the V10 side by side against the Pioneer and reached the same conclusion. Sitting in my recliner I'm sure I'll easily notice the extra 5" of picture size, whereas I'm not convinced that I'll be able to notice the extra PQ of the Kuro.

agreed

size over a tad better pq........

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #29 of 34 Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM

if size is everything, then people should consider projectors.
post #30 of 34 Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.5 View Post

if size is everything, then people should consider projectors.

Not sure who said Size is Everything... I'm thinking they are saying with a PQ barley noticeable between the two... With most wouldn't even know the difference in PQ... But EVERYONE would noticed the difference in size...

Now if you are talking a SD 65" vs a HD 60"... well.. I believe that would be a easy choice on the 60"..
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page