No more Plasms???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just left a appliance mart store in my area and the salesperson told me that there store won't be selling plasmas anymore do to our president wanting everything to go green and that was the reason why Pioneer bowed out of the game. I just want to know it there is any truth to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project HT View Post

I just left a appliance mart store in my area and the salesperson told me that there store won't be selling plasmas anymore do to our president wanting everything to go green and that was the reason why Pioneer bowed out of the game. I just want to know it there is any truth to this.

If there is money to be made and it's not illegal to sell them, someone will be producing them.

Pioneer is out of the game because they could no longer make money selling them. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for this and one contributing factor may be people's decision in regards to the environment.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

None!
post #4 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks for the info. I was kinda disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get a plasma next year but I see that's not the case so I'm cool now.. Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcon1 View Post

If there is money to be made and it's not illegal to sell them, someone will be producing them.

Pioneer is out of the game because they could no longer make money selling them. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for this and one contributing factor may be people's decision in regards to the environment.

False, they announced their exit from the plasma market early this year due to lack of profitability. It had nothing to do with environmentalism whatsoever. What the salesman probably was referring to is the legislation in California, that if it goes into effect will ban most 50"+ Plasmas, but they've actually been reducing energy consumption significantly and will continue to do so. By the time the laws enacted, the goals will probably have already been met.

Pioneer was losing money regardless of this because it cost them too much money to make the panels to the level of quality they expect for their displays.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM

LOL @ this thread. I hope that none of this is serious.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Alright. Thanks for the info. I was kinda disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get a plasma next year but I see that's not the case so I'm cool now.. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to shop at a better store anyway where they aren't so nutty. Seriously, I would be worried about the expertise of anyone who made such crazy statements.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Rush Limbaugh is working the appliance mart isles these days?

Click here for my home theater setup
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Sounds like you need to shop at a better store anyway where they aren't so nutty. Seriously, I would be worried about the expertise of anyone who made such crazy statements.

I have never shopped there but I went in just to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Rush Limbaugh is working the appliance mart isles these days?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

False, they announced their exit from the plasma market early this year due to lack of profitability. It had nothing to do with environmentalism whatsoever. What the salesman probably was referring to is the legislation in California, that if it goes into effect will ban most 50"+ Plasmas, but they've actually been reducing energy consumption significantly and will continue to do so. By the time the laws enacted, the goals will probably have already been met.
Pioneer was losing money regardless of this because it cost them too much money to make the panels to the level of quality they expect for their displays.

I thought that was the reason(I remember reading it awhile back but could not remember where) but with no concrete evidence backing me, I didn't debate that. I figured if anyone can answer this truthfully it would be someone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

LOL @ this thread. I hope that none of this is serious.

I will never know if I don't ask.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!!!!!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If it's legal they will sell it.

It's another matter if they will have plasmas on display. The wall space is limited and precious so what moves well gets it.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

False, they announced their exit from the plasma market early this year due to lack of profitability. It had nothing to do with environmentalism whatsoever.

Unless people were not buying them because of environmental concerns. Therefore making them... gasp... unprofitable.

Like I said, ONE of many reasons.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Well that is a lovely story, except for one little tiny factual error. Pioneer were going broke selling their very expensive Plasma line, and had not turned a profit on it for the last few years. They had already decided to stop making their own panels long before last year's election day.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I will never know if I don't ask.

Haha, that's true. I just couldn't tell if you were being serious or not. To sum it up, President Obama has not said anything about plasma TVs being banned in the US, and Pioneer did not stop manufacturing TVs because of power consumption; they went out of business because they weren't making enough money on them (profit margins) to justify it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page