samsung plasma cracked - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Overnight my 2 month old Samsung 860 developed a crack *under* the exterior glass. It's small (about 1") in the lower right corner.

When I went to bed it wasnt there. When I woke up it was. The surface glass is still pristine.

Samsung sent a 3rd party tech out who took pictures. The next day I was called by said 3rd party who said that something must have hit the set and Samsung wont cover it.

Certianly cracks of this nature could happen by an impact to the surface of the screen. I would imagine that the external glass would show some sign of impact if that were the case: scratch, divit, or a crack of its own. Additionally as this happened overnight, unless my cats have taken to throwing things in the house, its highly unlikely that an impact caused this. I would imagine that a defect in manufacturing could introduce a weakspot (or thin spot) in the underlying glass that could crack with the thermal expansion from the set heating up and cooling down.

I have 2 questions on this. Firstly, has anyone had any similar experiences with this kind of issue with any brand of plasma screen? Secondly, I have the ticket number and the support number of Samsung, and am ready to call and complain, but do I have a leg to stand on? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with this?

I don't make nearly enough to fork out for another TV 2 months after the first.

thanks,
-R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Liked: 10
Most credit cards have a 90-day purchase protection plan that covers loss or damage.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 136
There are couple of threads which appear to be similar to yours.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=cracked+glass

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=cracked+glass

You might want to PM the owners to of the problem sets, and see if they can give you any advice on how to handle the situation, based on their experiences.

If you paid by credit card, you might be able to contest the payment, and just return the broken item. Good luck.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I think i have read this problem before. Sudden temperature difference can cause cracks . I think there is a thread also. Search for cracks under this forum. But unfortunately the affected owner also got the same reply as you from the manufacturer. Not sure if it is Panny or Samsung. But i presume all manufacturers will try to weasel out of this saying it is not our problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Here is another

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...hreadID=340997

This thread is useful because Samsung tech has answered directly.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava View Post

Samsung sent a 3rd party tech out who took pictures. The next day I was called by said 3rd party who said that something must have hit the set and Samsung wont cover it.

Perusing the other thread, the key seems to be that there would be signs of impact damage if "something" hit the set. You should ask the 3rd party to point it out to you, and not let him get away with guessing.

Think for instance of a car windshield that eventually cracks because it was hit by a stone... there's still going to be that impact spot.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 AM

I have been reading, the forums, about the Samsung Plasma Flat Screen, cracks showing up. One of the individuals, stated, that he was able to contact the PRESIDENT. I am wondering, if, he was refering to the PRESIDENT of Samsung. It took him FIVE months, but he received a COMPLETE REFUND. Please pursue this money, if you are still in question, as to seeing that justice, is done, in this Public domain. Thx, dj
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page