Gaming Lag for 2010 Plasmas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You know, this is the only reason why I wont buy an HDTV for gaming with the Wii. Watching Bluray movies on a 50" 1080p Plasma is fantastic on the otherhand. Anyways.... Now, forget LCD's because they dont do it for me PQ wise. As for Plasmas, even the teeniest amount of lag/timing bothers me when playing my Wii....Hell i just came back from my friends house and was playing New Super Mario Bros Wii on his Vizio 720p 42" Plasma(Using component cables)and while it looked super sharp/clear thanks to Progressive Scan(not to mention Widescreen was a bonus) I couldn't help but notice the horrible lag....The timing felt so slow and stiff when compared to my CRT which was perfect.

The question is when will gaming lag dissapear?....if only they made new 480p plasmas, then there would be no problem. But its because 480p is being upscaled to 720p or 1080p which is obviously the result in image lag...

A flatScreen display with Progressive Scan and widescreen would be awesome, but the lag/timing kills it for me...There's a giant difference when using the wii remote as well, there's no contest....on my CRT it kills both Plasma and LCD performance wise. It's true 1:1....unlike 720p and 1080p HDTV's where the timing ect is off....I've experimented with Metroid Prime 3 and Wii Sports Resort especially, much better on my CRT, it's like night and day practically.

I'm sure 'the few' 1080p PS3 and 360 games work perfectly on a 1080p set, but that doesn't matter to me. The question is, when will gaming lag dissapear? the only solution is to play a game with the same resolution that matches your set. but hey, they dont make new 480p plasmas anymore so i'm out of luck The Wii2 will most likely be pumping out 1080p games, so the problem will be solved, but that's 2 years away ;p
In the time being, i guess i'm stuck in Sony wega land! ;p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm pretty sure that plasma TVs are known for not having any lag at all... in fact, less than LCDs. I'm not sure what you are talking about. I just played a marathon session of Modern Warfare 2 and did very well. No lag here.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

I'm pretty sure that plasma TVs are known for not having any lag at all... in fact, less than LCDs. I'm not sure what you are talking about. I just played a marathon session of Modern Warfare 2 and did very well. No lag here.

Weird, I've tested a bunch of games on my friends Vizio Plasma and it was all the same for everything, sucky ;p.....The only way to tell if there is lag is to compare it to a crt, which i have. BUT, maybe the lag on this set is worse than more expensive plasmas since after all, it is a Vizio...Also you just said 'modern warfare 2' which is a PS3/360 game no? i'd imagine there would be less lag when compare to wii games being upscaled to HD
post #4 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

Some plasmas have lag, some have very little; it's not a universal thing by any means.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Weird, I've tested a bunch of games on my friends Vizio Plasma and it was all the same for everything, sucky ;p.....The only way to tell if there is lag is to compare it to a crt, which i have. BUT, maybe the lag on this set is worse than more expensive plasmas since after all, it is a Vizio...Also you just said 'modern warfare 2' which is a PS3/360 game no? i'd imagine there would be less lag when compare to wii games being upscaled to HD

Keep in mind that you were playing on a lower tier couple year old plasma. I'm not a gamer but the little bit I do lag has never been an issue on my Pioneer.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Keep in mind that you were playing on a lower tier couple year old plasma. I'm not a gamer but the little bit I do lag has never been an issue on my Pioneer.

Even the 'slightest' lag bothers me. i'm such a perfectionist and anal like that. Like i said, playing the Wii on my CRT with the Wii remote and playing around with the remotes IR/Curser, it's flawless....on that vizio, no way. I remember trying it out on a Panasonic PZ85U, i think it was the same deal or slightly better...cant remember.

Anyways, I'm really interested to see what Samsung and Panasonic are whipping up in March for their new 42" 720p Plasmas...Maybe Samsung might achieve Panasonic Blacks, while Panasonic might acheive Samsungs great color....and of course 'less' or no lag, but i'm dreamin' ;p

LAG wont be an issue NextGen, as Wii2 and PS4 will be pumping out 1080p games. So if you have an 1080p display, everything will run and look perfectly.
Also a really good way to test for lag is paying a SideScroller game, like on the Wii's Virtual Console, an Nes game is a perfect example. On the vizio, it's terrible, slow, clunky and heavy feeling, doesn't respond as fast as all compared to my CRT, but blah blah, it's a low end Vizio, so it's not the greatest example.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 249
just to throw some real numbers into all this speculation. I have a Panasonic g15(same as a g10 but thinner) and I have measured the input lag. It is only 25ms, that is about 1 frame. This measurement was taken using a laptop and hdmi cable and duplicating the output on the laptop and the tv. Then run a timer on the laptop and take a picture of the screens in one shot.

25ms is not enough to notice on any of the 360 games except slightly on rock band. I haven't played the wii on it though.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #8 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Are you sure it's a Vizio "plasma"? I always thought Vizio was an LCD only company. I am pretty sure all their ads claim them to be "America's #1 LCD company" or something to that effect.

I have never heard of any "plasma lag" far from it, it's LCD that has been identified with that.

"I am fuel we are friends, I've got means to make ammends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I am right by your side."
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM

Vizio did release plasmas, not sure if they still do.

Some people find Samsung plasmas have similar lag to their LCD counterparts(same processing going on).

I went from a Sony 30hs420 to a Panasonic X1 and didn't notice anything at all. Since it's a lower end model I would wager it has next to no lag.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef2000 View Post

Are you sure it's a Vizio "plasma"? I always thought Vizio was an LCD only company. I am pretty sure all their ads claim them to be "America's #1 LCD company" or something to that effect.

I have never heard of any "plasma lag" far from it, it's LCD that has been identified with that.

it is a Plasma, and if I remember he said he baught it last year.
Afterall, while i was playing the Wii I noticed green phospher trails, hardly noticable but if you look for it you can sometimes spot it....Like in Wario Land Shake it!, part of Wario Suit is yellow, yet it would turn green at certain spots while playing the game, so yep it's a plasma ;p
But a Vizio Plasma

As far as color goes, Greens are limish and innacurate, motion is better than any lCD, blacks are decent and the overall color is alright, could be more saturated and a bit more colorful, but again this is vizio we're talking. I bet any of the Panasonics or Samsung Plasmas from this year would handle lag and PQ a bit better.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Liked: 11
This year's Panasonic G10 has consistently been shown to have 1-2 frames of input lag (16-33 ms). That's about as good as you can get on a big screen flat panel.

If you really must have absolutely no lag you'll have to wait for OLEDs (that's what I hear anyway), but honestly, you probably just played on a crappy set and aren't as sensitive as you think you are. I've got one friend with a viewsonic LCD and two others with older LG and Phillips plasmas respectively. The LCD feels pretty off but the two plasmas I don't even notice anything, and these are on displays not really known for low input lag.

If this year is any indication, it'll be like 10 months before there's any substantial info on 2010 plasma gaming lag.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page