Please Help! First Time Plasma Buyer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of purhcasing a Plasma TV on Black Friday and need some advice between 2 TVs. Best Buy and Sears have a Samsung PN50B530 for under 900 and a Samsung PN50B550 for around 1200. If they are both part of the 5 series and are the same size, could there really be that much difference in picture quality? I looked up the specs and they side by side even except the more expensive has an extra HDMI port. I realize that specs dont always tell you what kind of technology but I am new to this whole thing. Also, how are samsungs with glare and reflectiveness. I know LCD has plasma beat with that sort of thing but I just think Plasmas look better, sorry I dont mean to offend anybody, that is just my preference. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTie4Life View Post

I am thinking of purhcasing a Plasma TV on Black Friday and need some advice between 2 TVs. Best Buy and Sears have a Samsung PN50B530 for under 900 and a Samsung PN50B550 for around 1200. If they are both part of the 5 series and are the same size, could there really be that much difference in picture quality? I looked up the specs and they side by side even except the more expensive has an extra HDMI port. I realize that specs dont always tell you what kind of technology but I am new to this whole thing. Also, how are samsungs with glare and reflectiveness. I know LCD has plasma beat with that sort of thing but I just think Plasmas look better, sorry I dont mean to offend anybody, that is just my preference. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Picture quality is likely about the same between the 2 models. Try searching the forum for owners of the 550 and/or 530 for more detailed information. Both TV's have the same anti-reflective filter and it does an OK job. The B650 definitely beats it that area. To get a good idea, try going to some local electronic stores and checking them out. If anything else, that should give you a good idea of reflectiveness. Picture settings are not always ideal in the stores.

Oppo BDP-83, Oppo DV-980H, Samsung PN58B650, Panasonic PZ4277U, Samsung LN40A630, Xbox 360 Elite (XBL: Los Swiggs)

Recent college grad and building my entertainment systems. Next up.....Audio! :)