AVS Forum banner

2009 Panasonics vs Hitachi P50S601

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  smacket 
#1 ·
I re-named the thread in hopes someone will answer.

Second post from a long time lurker.

I am looking to upgrade 27" CRT to a 50" plasma. My only expierience with plasma tvs is my inlaws Hitachi P50s601 purchased two years ago.

Right now I will mostly be watching OTA and plan on getting a Blue-Ray Player and a wii next month and Dish next May. I love watching sports

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 50x1. I have a wife enforced 1k budget and would like to get Blue-Ray player and probably a soundbar or something since sound is a big factor of enjoyment for me. The wife wants a tv that "wows" her when she watches blue-ray and future HD satellite.

My big question is can anyone give me a comparison of todays plasmas vs the Hitachi P50s601? (I am leaning toward a panasonic product but not locked in yet)

These are other, more specific, questions going through my head:

1. How does the Panasonic 50x1 stack up to the hitachi picture wise?

2. How about sound wise?

3. At 8-11 feet will i wish i had gone for the 50s1 (1080p) ?

4. How much better is the picture on the S1 or even G15 not just with each other but compared to the Hitachi?

5. I have heard sound stinks on Plasma TVs, should i forgo soundbar/suround-sound and get a better TV (S1 or G15)?

6. Since I am on a tight budget, should i even consider other brands? (LG, Samsung, Vizio, Insignia, ect..)

7. Will other brands save me that much money?

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacket /forum/post/17609925

Second post from a long time lurker.

I am looking to upgrade 27" CRT to a 50" plasma. My only expierience with plasma tvs is my inlaws Hitachi P50s601 purchased two years ago.

Right now I will mostly be watching OTA and plan on getting a Blue-Ray Player and a wii next month and Dish next May. I love watching sports

I am leaning towards the Panasonic 50x1. I have a wife enforced 1k budget and would like to get Blue-Ray player and probably a soundbar or something since sound is a big factor of enjoyment for me. The wife wants a tv that "wows" her when she watches blue-ray and future HD satellite.

My big question is can anyone give me a comparison of todays plasmas vs the Hitachi P50s601? (I am leaning toward a panasonic product but not locked in yet)

These are other, more specific, questions going through my head:

1. How does the Panasonic 50x1 stack up to the hitachi picture wise?

2. How about sound wise?

3. At 8-11 feet will i wish i had gone for the 50s1 (1080p) ?

4. How much better is the picture on the S1 or even G15 not just with each other but compared to the Hitachi?

5. I have heard sound stinks on Plasma TVs, should i forgo soundbar/suround-sound and get a better TV (S1 or G15)?

6. Since I am on a tight budget, should i even consider other brands? (LG, Samsung, Vizio, Insignia, ect..)

7. Will other brands save me that much money?

vizio is good low tier brand. pay attention to inputs you get though. you might screw your self. btw, a certain retailer that rhymes with best guy has a deal for 50u1 and panasonic blue ray player that would fit your budget if tax doesn't count as busting it for black friday.

#3 ·
Thanks for your input.

A family member was trying to convince me Yesterday that since the Hitachi P50s601 is two years old "All 2009 plasmas will look just as good or better."

Anyone have thoughts on that statement?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacket /forum/post/17615914

Thanks for your input.

A family member was trying to convince me Yesterday that since the Hitachi P50s601 is two years old "All 2009 plasmas will look just as good or better."

Anyone have thoughts on that statement?

since it seems picture quality isn't high priority on your list, i don't think you can go wrong with whatever you pick. panasonic and samsung have their +'s and -'s so maybe you should find the tv with the inputs (and maybe then some) you need and in your price range. it is not too hard to find a 50" 1080p plasma for under a $1000 or even around $900 right now. if you're concerned about sound, there really isn't a tv that stands out when it comes to sound. i would be more concerned about a tv that has terrible or tinny sound, but it seems from what i've read that most tv's are adequate. you can get a decent home theater in a box system for ~$300 with speakers, and for a couple hundred more you can get a very passable system. i'm a wannabe audiophile, so i would suggest getting a decent standalone receiver and research some speakers in your price range and go from there.

#5 ·
I do not need the best tv on the market, but it needs to be at least as good as the hitachi or the wifey wont be happy. She is all about wanting the wow factor when watching movies, which she gets when watching her parents hitachi. When it comes down to it, it is best to make her happy, even if it means putting off getting great audio now. Funny thing is yesterday she mentioned getting something bigger so I told her about the 54s1 deal from a local store that was just over our budget and she seemed interested. I might stretch a bit and go for that now, sound later, just need to bounce ideas off people who know about HDTVs. From what i have read you cant judge a tv by what you see in the store, which makes picking out a tv dificult, and fourums like this invaluable.

If anyone else has any thoughts please chime in.

Thanks

#6 ·
samsung or panasonic. either one. samsung will have better color out of the box. they're more comparable after a calibration. the panasonic will have better detail with darks. panasonic is less likely to have a nagging issue like buzzing or more heat than usual. in a couple months i'm going to get a panasonic 50g10, but the samsung 50b 550/650's being a couple hundred bucks cheaper in my area are very enticing. i wouldn't regret getting a samsung if i had to save some money.

btw, the samsung will probably offer more wow straight out the box. but if you get a g10 or v10 panasonic, they both have thx mode. thx mode will offer the most accurate depiction of x source material, but your wife might not appreciate that. especially since alot of peeps think it's too dim.

#8 ·
Does anyone else have any thoughts on the statement:

All 2009 plasmas will look just as good or better than the Hitachi P50s601 since it is two years old. I was told even the 720p sets (examples were Panasonic and Samsung, but he thought even 'off brands') will look better (both smoother and have more 'pop') because all 2009 plasmas will look just as good or better than anything you could buy 2 years ago.

typed this fast so hope it makes since. lol

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.