Panasonic TC-P42U1 / TC-P46U1 / TC-P50U1 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 200 Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
what is the general consensus on the overall pq of these pdps? after looking at all the samsungs and pannys they all seem to look the same after a while. Im torn between the U1 and the samsung 560 I can tell the difference between the X1 and the C1 but when it comes to the U1 and S1 and the samsung 5 series I cant tell the difference. How does everyone feel about their purchase? I watch a lot of bluray and xbox 360 also how is the built in atsc/qam tuner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got it last week so its not totally broken in, but I really like it so far. I bought it for $698 so at that price point i like the quality.
post #93 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Pimpology,

I have a friend that recently bought an S1, and I talked him into running the break in slides, as well as using Droids offsets. I really can't tell a difference in the picture between his S1 and my U1, but from what I gather, the S1 is supposed to be the better set. For starters, it has an AR filter. This may or may not be a big deal.. it just depends on how much direct sunlight will be hitting your TV. The S1 also has a slightly better contrast ratio, and I think it consumes less power too.

I've never seen the Sammy 560, so I couldn't comment on it. But considering how cheap the U1 was, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
post #94 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I know i saw the U1 at wallyworld and they just took it out of the box and set it up so the picture was really dark but then i saw it at bestbuy and it looked fine next to the s1 and the samsung 550 and 450 Im thinking for the price at wallyworld it might be really good. Im having my doubts with panny cuz of all the people complaining of the black levels increasing because of the firmware bug. I thought someone on here said the s1 and the u1 are identical except for the ar coating
post #95 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would grab the U1. I am positive my black levels have risen but even then it doesn't ruin the picture at all. It isn't like everything is washed out, because it isn't.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #96 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Just out of curiosity, did anyone find out anything about 5.1ch passthrough via optical out on the U1? I just picked up a home theater system, and am starting to realize I may have to pick up an optical switch rather than running everything through the set...
post #97 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post

I would grab the U1. I am positive my black levels have risen but even then it doesn't ruin the picture at all. It isn't like everything is washed out, because it isn't.

Same here. I picked up mine during Black Friday at Best Buy and love it. I've not noticed any increase in black levels at all with daily use since November.

-----------
Robert
post #98 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM

im pretty sure its not possible to pass thru 5.1 due to riaa restrictions so like all other tvs on the market you only get 2.1 thank you hollywierd If i got a U1 i would do the dnice burn in and apply his off sets and settings to get a tweaked picture has anyone committed to his break in mantra?
post #99 of 200 Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post

im pretty sure its not possible to pass thru 5.1 due to riaa restrictions so like all other tvs on the market you only get 2.1 thank you hollywierd If i got a U1 i would do the dnice burn in and apply his off sets and settings to get a tweaked picture has anyone committed to his break in mantra?

I did the break-in that D-Nice posted for the first 120 hours or so, and I'm now using Droid's S1 offsets. I'm very happy with the results so far, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like the picture looks better at 500+ hours than it did after I finished the break-in.
post #100 of 200 Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post

Yeah, that's what I thought - damn DRM. As if I'm going to try to record music off of my XBOX. Great. Optical switch it is, I suppose.
post #101 of 200 Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM

I did the DNICE break in slides, and then used Droid's offsets. A few days ago after I decided to use Sadmaker's offsets, and I am liking them a lot better. The picture on my 50u1 gets better by the day. I currently have about 225 hours on it when I checked it last night.
post #102 of 200 Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Anyone know how to get into the TC-P46U1 service mode?

Regardless, I believe I'll be returning mine.. just can't get the color adjusted right. Black levels are nice though. Whites are greyish.. red and green are too prominent, need to be able to adjust the blue level and/or the white balance. I had a Sony 405100S series and the colors were WAY better than this. The Sony had other downfalls, but the color was nice on it. I seriously doubt that 120 hrs of burn-in in are going to make that much difference in this U1.

Anyone else?
post #103 of 200 Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 AM

First off I would like to thank everyone for thier input on this thread....I am newbie when it comes to plasma, and I have been doing alot of reading the last couple of days. I currently downloaded D-nice's ( actually Evangelo's ) break-in slides. I am currently running them via SD card with D-nice's Vivid settings on my new TC-p42u1. I was wondering if anyone has offsets for they could recomend for use on my model after the break-in? I found a list of various links with offsets, but they aren't specifically for my model. Does that matter? Can I just go through and try different ones till I find one that works for me? I do not have anough knowledge to tweak a setting here or there to achieve a better picture on my own. However, I am very good at following directions. I feel comfortable changing the SM offsets...after COPYING ALL THE ORIGINAL VALUES FIRST! So if anyone can help or has a recommendation, it would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
post #104 of 200 Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam9381 View Post

First off I would like to thank everyone for thier input on this thread....I am newbie when it comes to plasma, and I have been doing alot of reading the last couple of days. I currently downloaded D-nice's ( actually Evangelo's ) break-in slides. I am currently running them via SD card with D-nice's Vivid settings on my new TC-p42u1. I was wondering if anyone has offsets for they could recomend for use on my model after the break-in? I found a list of various links with offsets, but they aren't specifically for my model. Does that matter? Can I just go through and try different ones till I find one that works for me? I do not have anough knowledge to tweak a setting here or there to achieve a better picture on my own. However, I am very good at following directions. I feel comfortable changing the SM offsets...after COPYING ALL THE ORIGINAL VALUES FIRST! So if anyone can help or has a recommendation, it would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Unfortunately, no one has posted offsets for our model yet. Though the S1 is supposed to be pretty similar to the U1, so I think many of us here have been experimenting with different S1 offsets.. If you look back a page or two, LarryInRI has a link in his signature that has most of the 12g Panasonic offsets that users have posted.

I would try some of the S1 offsets and see which one you like the best. I don't think there's any thing you could screw up by trying out all of the different setting you see. I think I've tried all of the S1 offsets by now, and the ones that Droid posted have looked the best on my TV. Although I did have to bump the contrast down a little. The only reason I even bothered with the changing the offsets was due mostly to the green push I experienced when I first fired the TV up. And since the green push seems to be a fairly common issue with 12g pannys, most of the offsets I tried were at the very least, able to fix that small problem.

Though if you're going to go through the trouble of Breaking in your TV, you might as well try out some different offsets. As far as I understand, that's really the only reason to do the break in. Unless, I dunno.. maybe you want to age your TV a little faster.
post #105 of 200 Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would just try a few of them till I find one I like. Also, I bought a PS3 because of the capability of gaming as well as Blu Ray. Would anyone one have recommendations on picture settings/mode that works well with gaming? Do I have to worry about burn-in as long as I don't pause the game for extended periods of time? One other thing, I am over half way through preak-in procedure....can I play games and movies as long as I use cinema mode with 50 contrast and brightness?

Thanks again,

Ken
post #106 of 200 Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM

You don't really need to worry about Burn In with a newer plasma. At least that seems to be the consensus around here. Worst case scenario is that you'll notice a little Image Retention, but I've never seen anything like that when playing my ps3. I played my ps3 a little during the break in too, and I just used the same Cinema settings I was using to watch normal TV. That was with contrast in the 70's and brightness in the upper 50's.

One thing you might want to do with the PS3 is go into Display Settings, and change the RGB Full Range (HDMI) setting to Limited, if it isn't there already. I don't think this TV supports a full range, so if it's not on limited certain blacks might be too black, and you'll miss out on certain details.
post #107 of 200 Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks again!!
post #108 of 200 Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM

I have a question for you all about this Model. I have had the 42U1 for 2 weeks now and all is fine, the question is it takes more than 15 sec. for the picture to come on after the power button is pressed (on remote or the panel), if this is normal thats OK I am just checking as my other Panel (an old TH-50PHD5) takes less than 5 sec. I don't want to sound whiney just want to cover any problems before my exchange date runs out.
Thank You
post #109 of 200 Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmo View Post

I have a question for you all about this Model. I have had the 42U1 for 2 weeks now and all is fine, the question is it takes more than 15 sec. for the picture to come on after the power button is pressed (on remote or the panel), if this is normal thats OK I am just checking as my other Panel (an old TH-50PHD5) takes less than 5 sec. I don't want to sound whiney just want to cover any problems before my exchange date runs out.
Thank You

It takes a while 15 seconds is about right.
post #110 of 200 Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Thank you, good to know nothing is wrong
post #111 of 200 Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Hey everybody! I have finished mt break in on my 50u and am now ready to try some offsets. Any one know how or have a link to accessing and navigating the service menu? I have seen a few offsets but nothing on how to get in and navigate.
post #112 of 200 Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverhnter View Post

Hey everybody! I have finished mt break in on my 50u and am now ready to try some offsets. Any one know how or have a link to accessing and navigating the service menu? I have seen a few offsets but nothing on how to get in and navigate.

Just hold vol - on the tv and press the info button on the remote 3 times. Once you're in the SM, use the 1 and 2 buttons on the remote to navigate back and forth through the main menus, and buttons 3 an 4 to navigate back and forth through the sub menus.

To apply the offsets that have been posted press 1 on the remote until you get to the WB-ADJ menu. There you'll be able to use the 3 and 4 buttons to scroll though the R-CUT, G-CUT, B-CUT, R-DRV, G-DRV, and B-DRV. Use the Vol- and Vol+ buttons to change these values. I wouldn't mess with anything else in the SM. Doing so could potentially damage your tv.

Oh, and remember to copy down all your original settings!
post #113 of 200 Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrg87 View Post

I picked up the 46 from Wal Mart Wednesday and I really like it so far. Great deal, btw.. might be one of the best bargains out there right now.

I'm still in the break in period as well. I've been using D-nice's break in procedure when I'm not watching tv, so hopefully that will help. I really hope that someone who knows what they're doing will post some service menu tweaks. This set looks great out of the box, but there are definitely some small tweaks that could take it to the next level. The white's are a little dirty (My first plasma, so I may just be used to LCD) and at times the green can be a little much.

You're right, the Standard setting is too dark. I was actually reading a review that said Panasonic made the Standard mode like that in order to make the TV energy star compliant. Apparently if you make a TV have a really dark power friendly default setting it can meet energy star requirements, lol. The settings I'm currently using are probably not as power friendly. Here's what I've been using lately.

Picture Mode - Cinema (Custom is good too, but I prefer the slightly warmer look of Cinema)

Contrast - 82
Brightness - 66
Color - 44
Tint - +4
Sharpness - 0 (May need to be jacked up for SD)
Color temp. - Warm

C.A.T.S., Video NR - Off

Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a panasonic tx-p50u10 (UK version) and I would just like to ask about the picture menu settings you have posted above.

When I go into the picture menu settings I just have bars with no numbers as a reference. All I know is I can click 30 to the left and 30 to the right with the remote.

With colour, the factory bar is set in the middle. Is that 50 or 0.
What about contrast? Does it go 0 to 100 from left to right?

It all seems abit basic with just whte bars for reference and I am not going to attempt entering the service menu.

I am mainly using it for bluray and SD tv.

Anyone got the optimum settings for blu ray? I currently have it set on cinema mode, warm and 0 sharpness, What about colur, brightness and contrast?

Sorry for the noob questions

Regards

James
post #114 of 200 Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmatrix View Post

Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a panasonic tx-p50u10 (UK version) and I would just like to ask about the picture menu settings you have posted above.

When I go into the picture menu settings I just have bars with no numbers as a reference. All I know is I can click 30 to the left and 30 to the right with the remote.

With colour, the factory bar is set in the middle. Is that 50 or 0.
What about contrast? Does it go 0 to 100 from left to right?

It all seems abit basic with just whte bars for reference and I am not going to attempt entering the service menu.

I am mainly using it for bluray and SD tv.

Anyone got the optimum settings for blu ray? I currently have it set on cinema mode, warm and 0 sharpness, What about colur, brightness and contrast?

Sorry for the noob questions

Regards

James

Hmm.. it sounds to me like the UK/Euro version of this TV is somewhat different than the US model. Aside from color, which is set in the middle at 0, the rest of my picture settings have a 0-100 range.. I think. I also think I've read that some of the other UK panny models are fairly different from their US cousins. Not completely sure on that though. Anyways, you might not be able to use picture settings that people have posted for their US u1. At least not with similar results as those of us with a US model. Maybe someone who knows for sure could comment on this.

Also, those picture settings you quoted were just some quick adjustments I made when I first bought the TV. The settings I've settled on for now are much different.
post #115 of 200 Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks alot hokies..
post #116 of 200 Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 PM

I'm looking to purchase a TC-P46U1 within the next couple of weeks. I'm coming from a 30" Samsung CRT HDTV that I use for Uverse (720p content), Xbox 360, PS3 (games and Blu-ray), and HD-DVD player. I missed getting a TC-P46S1 by a few weeks and I am wondering if the U series would be worth getting or to hold off until the 2010 models hit stores.

Panasonic TC-P58S1
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD Player
XBOX 360
Logitech Z-5500

post #117 of 200 Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueLS View Post

I'm looking to purchase a TC-P46U1 within the next couple of weeks. I'm coming from a 30" Samsung CRT HDTV that I use for Uverse (720p content), Xbox 360, PS3 (games and Blu-ray), and HD-DVD player. I missed getting a TC-P46S1 by a few weeks and I am wondering if the U series would be worth getting or to hold off until the 2010 models hit stores.

If you can find a good deal, I think the U1 could be a good second choice to the S1. From what I've seen, the picture looks very similar. The biggest difference between the two sets is that the S1 has an AR filter, while the U1 doesn't. So if you're going to put your TV somewhere where it's going to be hit by lots of direct sunlight, you probably don't wanna go with the U1.

See what kind of deals you can find. I was able to get my 46U1 back in November for under $700. IMO, for that price I don't think you can get a better 46" plasma.
post #118 of 200 Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrg87 View Post

If you can find a good deal, I think the U1 could be a good second choice to the S1. From what I've seen, the picture looks very similar. The biggest difference between the two sets is that the S1 has an AR filter, while the U1 doesn't. So if you're going to put your TV somewhere where it's going to be hit by lots of direct sunlight, you probably don't wanna go with the U1.

See what kind of deals you can find. I was able to get my 46U1 back in November for under $700. IMO, for that price I don't think you can get a better 46" plasma.

The sunlight might be a slight issue with where the U1 would go. Then again, I would think that the glass on my CRT should be somewhat close to the U1. The way the TV is set up now is about a 135 degree angle to the window. There is a slight glare when I have the blinds on the window open, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by closing the blinds. I should be able to pick up a U1 somewhere between $600-700 pending on what friend can do for me.

Panasonic TC-P58S1
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD Player
XBOX 360
Logitech Z-5500

post #119 of 200 Old 02-06-2010, 10:15 AM

So far I have tried Droids and Dnice settings and offsets on my 42U1. Can't say I've been very happy with the whites, very dirty. I also watch a lot of hockey so the white ice really comes up very yellow.
Has anyone tried some settings they like and watch alot of hockey?
post #120 of 200 Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM

All

Need some help quickly. I was down at a local B&M store yesterday and was able to snag what I thought was a bargain. A clearance 50" Panny u1 for $750 inc tax. This was a clearance store model but had all accessories and manufacturer warranty intact.

This thing is clean as a whistle except I have now noticed what looks to be like either a dead/stuck pixel or a little fleck of dirt/moisture between the panels. I am blazing it with the burn in DVD just to see if I can free up whats there.

My question is what are the thoughts on the U1 and if this issues doesn't resolve itself my next best unit is the 50PS14 that BB has for $979 on sale. I can't stand buying from them these days due to bad experiences in the past but if push comes to shove then I may have to.

So, what are the differences between these models and which is the better one to go for ? I had my eyes set on the G series but as this is for a large bedroom wanted to try and stay under $1k.

Thoughts on what I should do/recos would be greatly appreciated

Or should I take this one back or lastly call Panasonic as it is under manufacturer warranty and see if they can repair or replace due to panel ?

Thanks all

WC
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page