Looking for Plasma TV + Speaker Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and basically I'm looking to get a nice TV setup for my living room, since currently I have nothing there. (I'm a first-time TV buyer, aside from the Samsung T260HD Monitor/HDTV that I use for computer gaming and TV in my bedroom. )

For the TV, I'm interested in getting a Plasma. I've mainly been looking at Samsungs, since I already have two of their monitors (I use a Samsung 226BW as my secondary monitor). In particular, I really love their red ToC style.

Anyway, the main Plasma I've had my eye on is the Samsung PN50B650 (hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W6NU9E/ref=s9_simp_gw_s4_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z51RDXZBXR9KCA7QE2B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846), which is available for $1,140 on Amazon with zero interest for 24 months. (Note that I need to buy from a place like Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. that offers zero interest for some number of months.) Is there anything else that you guys would suggest in that price range? Also, I sit about 8-9 feet from where the TV will go, so do you think 50" will be enough? Depending on the ideal size, I might be able vary my price range a bit.

Also, I have a PS3, and I'm guessing that gaming and watching movies won't be much fun without some decent speakers. If possible, I'd also like to get an affordable speaker setup (most likely a home theater in a box?). I've seen things like the Samsung HT-BD1250T/1252T/1255T for around $450 (the included Blu-ray player is nice, although I suppose I could just use my PS3, so a setup without one could be a cheaper option for me... Would other players have significantly more features?), but I haven't looked much further than that. What kinds of things would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Muhahahahaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is the 650 Owner's thread. Everything you need to know about the set is there. If you need more try the search function and there is tons of info. Good luck

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=650
omeletpants is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mmmm... I have also found the Panasonic SC-BT300 7.1 speaker system, which looks like a pretty good choice, given its current price on Amazon.

Since "Anynet" is just Samsung's name for HDMI-CEC, would I still be able to control Panasonic's speaker system using Samsung's TV remote? The CEC standard seems pointless otherwise...
Muhahahahaz is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 AM
 
gwsallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sitting about 8-9 ft. away from my PN58A550 and after several weeks, i found i need bigger but my wife very comfortable and big enough for her. either you can go for Samsung PN58B550 or Samsung PN58B650 with network capability http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN58B650-58-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B001W6NU9Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260023951&sr=1-3

as for speakers setup, my cousin own a set of Yamaha YHT-590BL, http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-590BL-Home-Theater-Black/dp/B00141DTFC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1260023866&sr=1-6 and i am very impress with the sound quality.
gwsallen is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahahaz View Post

Mmmm... I have also found the Panasonic SC-BT300 7.1 speaker system, which looks like a pretty good choice, given its current price on Amazon.

Since "Anynet" is just Samsung's name for HDMI-CEC, would I still be able to control Panasonic's speaker system using Samsung's TV remote? The CEC standard seems pointless otherwise...

That Panny, "anynet" issues aside is a better choice than Samsung for an HTIB (Home Theater In A Box). Many mfgs. have proprietary gimmicks like "anynet" designed to lock you into buying all your ancillary stuff from the same company.

Unfortunately a company that makes a great tv may not make a great HTIB, and this is usually the case with Samsung.

An easy solution that lets you choose components from different mfgs based on who makes what best is one of the Logitech Harmony series of universal remotes.

These actuallly do a better job than the proprietary schemes.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen View Post

I am sitting about 8-9 ft. away from my PN58A550 and after several weeks, i found i need bigger but my wife very comfortable and big enough for her. either you can go for Samsung PN58B550 or Samsung PN58B650 with network capability

as for speakers setup, my cousin own a set of Yamaha YHT-590BL, and i am very impress with the sound quality.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I should go for 58"-60" if I can then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

That Panny, "anynet" issues aside is a better choice than Samsung for an HTIB (Home Theater In A Box). Many mfgs. have proprietary gimmicks like "anynet" designed to lock you into buying all your ancillary stuff from the same company.

Unfortunately a company that makes a great tv may not make a great HTIB, and this is usually the case with Samsung.

An easy solution that lets you choose components from different mfgs based on who makes what best is one of the Logitech Harmony series of universal remotes.

These actuallly do a better job than the proprietary schemes.

Thanks for the tip! It will cost extra, but yeah, I've heard that the proprietary schemes tend to be somewhat limited, so perhaps it will be worth it. Do you own one of their remotes? Which might you recommend?



(Note: I had to remove the URLs from the first quote... I can understand not being able to post URLs, but I can't even quote someone? )
Muhahahahaz is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahahaz View Post

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I should go for 58"-60" if I can then.



Thanks for the tip! It will cost extra, but yeah, I've heard that the proprietary schemes tend to be somewhat limited, so perhaps it will be worth it. Do you own one of their remotes? Which might you recommend?



(Note: I had to remove the URLs from the first quote... I can understand not being able to post URLs, but I can't even quote someone? )

I've been using a Harmony 880 for years now. It controls my system consisting of a Sony KDS60A2000 rptv, Pioneer receiver, Toshiba HD-DVD player, Tivo series 3 HD Tivo. There are workarounds for also using it with a PS3 but I don't bother as I prefer having the separate bluetooth remote for the PS3 so I don't accidentally turn it off when switching sources during a PS3 download.

I need only press one button to turn on the tv, select the proper input on both the tv and the receiver, etc for each source device. After that the transport buttons operate the source device, the volume button operates the receiver volume, the "aspect" button controls the tv stretch-zoom modes, etc. If I want to switch from watching the Tivo to watching a dvd, I only have to press one button and it switches all the appropriate inputs and turns off the Tivo.

The 880 is no longer in production but the equivalent current model would probably run you $250 at full retail and is usually available for considerably less.

One of the main benefits is that it makes it easy for any member of the family, no matter how tech-impaired, to operate your system without help. Unlike most any other universal remote it will control all functions of every device in your system--you don't have to hunt for the oem remote to access secondary controls on your set like picture adjustments and such.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-05-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I've been using a Harmony 880 for years now. It controls my system consisting of a Sony KDS60A2000 rptv, Pioneer receiver, Toshiba HD-DVD player, Tivo series 3 HD Tivo. There are workarounds for also using it with a PS3 but I don't bother as I prefer having the separate bluetooth remote for the PS3 so I don't accidentally turn it off when switching sources during a PS3 download.

I need only press one button to turn on the tv, select the proper input on both the tv and the receiver, etc for each source device. After that the transport buttons operate the source device, the volume button operates the receiver volume, the "aspect" button controls the tv stretch-zoom modes, etc. If I want to switch from watching the Tivo to watching a dvd, I only have to press one button and it switches all the appropriate inputs and turns off the Tivo.

The 880 is no longer in production but the equivalent current model would probably run you $250 at full retail and is usually available for considerably less.

One of the main benefits is that it makes it easy for any member of the family, no matter how tech-impaired, to operate your system without help. Unlike most any other universal remote it will control all functions of every device in your system--you don't have to hunt for the oem remote to access secondary controls on your set like picture adjustments and such.

Thanks! I'm very glad to hear that it controls *all* functions.

As it turns out, I'm definitely going with the Samsung HT-BD1250. Mainly because I just realized that my living room is *way* too small to accommodate a 7.1 system. (Also, I was finally able to find a better price on the Samsung via Google Shopping. )

However, the TV is still up in the air. Most likely Samsung, but I'm still waiting for a good deal. In any case, I will definitely get a Logitech remote eventually, but it can probably be delayed if I end up with a Samsung.
Muhahahahaz is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update: Btw, I found the PN58B650 for only $1,650 shipped! I'm mostly likely going for that, although that price is guaranteed for the next 48 hours, so I'll take some time to think about it first.

I'm also waiting because they have 12 months no interest financing, but I wasn't approved instantly. I gotta wait until tomorrow to phone in and give them more info. Financing would just be icing on the cake though. At this price, I would go for it either way!

(Go to vanns.com, search for the PN58B650, and click on "Get a Better Price, Click Here" under the price. They will email you a better priced link that is valid for 48 hours. Let me know if you get a better price than I did. Note that this is the official website of a brick-and-mortar store, so you know it's legit. Also, with a quick glance around the web, it looks like they get favorable reviews. )
Muhahahahaz is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
jaymalya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahahaz View Post

Update: Btw, I found the PN58B650 for only $1,650 shipped! I'm mostly likely going for that, although that price is guaranteed for the next 48 hours, so I'll take some time to think about it first.

I'm also waiting because they have 12 months no interest financing, but I wasn't approved instantly. I gotta wait until tomorrow to phone in and give them more info. Financing would just be icing on the cake though. At this price, I would go for it either way!

(Go to vanns.com, search for the PN58B650, and click on "Get a Better Price, Click Here" under the price. They will email you a better priced link that is valid for 48 hours. Let me know if you get a better price than I did. Note that this is the official website of a brick-and-mortar store, so you know it's legit. Also, with a quick glance around the web, it looks like they get favorable reviews. )

Wow, that's fantastic price for a 58 incher

jaymalya is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Muhahahahaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya View Post

wow, that's fantastic price for a 58 incher

Muhahahahaz is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Aeonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahahaz View Post

Thanks! I'm very glad to hear that it controls *all* functions.

As it turns out, I'm definitely going with the Samsung HT-BD1250. Mainly because I just realized that my living room is *way* too small to accommodate a 7.1 system. (Also, I was finally able to find a better price on the Samsung via Google Shopping. )

However, the TV is still up in the air. Most likely Samsung, but I'm still waiting for a good deal. In any case, I will definitely get a Logitech remote eventually, but it can probably be delayed if I end up with a Samsung.

Let me know how you like that HTiB. I've read some decent reviews on it, and I've been looking at HTiB for awhile now, trying to decide what to get when the time comes.
Aeonus is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off