Cnet Has lied to me/taking it back: the Samsung PN58650 isnt Excellent - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

yep...

Another brilliant move. You never toss the box before the return period is up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 View Post

A few posts on this thread say that hdmi low is the correct setting, IT IS NOT.

If you watch ycbcr content (blu-ray, dvd) by converting to rgb and you have the tv set to hdmi low, what happens is that the standard space of 16-235 is being extended into 0-255, which means that if you leave the brightness setting alone you are now clipping near black content which creates the impression of depth but at the cost of shadow detail. If you correct your brightness setting IT'S STILL WRONG! Why? Video uses below black information and above white information as well, you set brightness to clip below black anyway, but when you extend the standard levels you are now clipping the headroom for superwhite. Which is important and should not be clipped.

The correct thing to do is make sure that white above white (known on the ps3 as superwhite) is passed, use standard video levels, and output as ycbcr, and not rgb. When that happens the hdmi option will be grayed out as it should be.

Yes, but here's what happened with my 590 and PS3. We had all the settings the same as you described (on the PS3 and the TV) with the HDMI Black Level set to Normal. Calibrated the set and took measurements. At the time you couldn't change the HDMI Black Level to Low anyway since it was greyed out in the menu, which is appropriate since it should not be applicable while the TV is receiving a ycbcr signal. He then went to the PS3's XMB screen, which I believe uses RGB, and the HDMI Black Level menu option was now selectable. He changed it to Low. He then re-activated the disc and ran some test screens and did a full set of measurements again, using two different measuring devices and ran the full calibration report again. Black levels improved substantially and every other setting was unaffected. No black crush, etc. Interestingly, the HDMI Black Level was not selectable again because it was a ycbcr signal, even though the black level was noticeably impacted by the change.
post #93 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

No, I thought you meant bended the box...
post #94 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

I have kept my 10 year old Denon receiver box, which paid off since I accidentally shorted out my Denon AVR-5700 THX Ultra receiver 3 months ago! I learned my lesson and it cost me $289 dollars, blew drive transistors and a whole bunch more! Sending in my Oppo BDP-83 to be upgraded to Special Edition in side my Denon box, Oppo didn't return it. No problem, it served it's purpose!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I thought you meant bended the box...

Bended, what on earth are you talking about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM

He doesn't know....
post #97 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallen View Post

He doesn't know....

I want whatever he is smoking, lol!

post #98 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Yes, but here's what happened with my 590 and PS3. We had all the settings the same as you described (on the PS3 and the TV) with the HDMI Black Level set to Normal. Calibrated the set and took measurements. At the time you couldn’t change the HDMI Black Level to Low anyway since it was greyed out in the menu, which is appropriate since it should not be applicable while the TV is receiving a ycbcr signal. He then went to the PS3’s XMB screen, which I believe uses RGB, and the HDMI Black Level menu option was now selectable. He changed it to Low. He then re-activated the disc and ran some test screens and did a full set of measurements again, using two different measuring devices and ran the full calibration report again. Black levels improved substantially and every other setting was unaffected. No black crush, etc. Interestingly, the HDMI Black Level was not selectable again because it was a ycbcr signal, even though the black level was noticeably impacted by the change.

Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if there was indeed a bug perhaps in switching video signals.

I stopped using CAL-NIGHT and CAL-DAY settings because I could have sworn the black levels lightened at times in those when switching sources. With Movie Mode I never experience this.
post #99 of 115 Old 12-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

I want whatever he is smoking, lol!

You probably don't

Ferrets are Family/
post #100 of 115 Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

That is strange Citivas, well I have to admit that there is something strange about the model of tv that you have. I apologize Aeonus and Citivas for thinking you had it wrong, there must be a bug there. Maybe the best thing to do is have the source convert into rgb source then and just use hdmi low. My Sammy's work right, there must be something specific about that model, probably related to that cinema smooth bug. I shouldn't have talked based on my experience with other Sammy tvs that was wrong of me.
post #101 of 115 Old 12-24-2009, 03:33 PM

The OP definitely has a point, and there are other people having this problem as well.

For me, Normal on HDMI Black Level looks pretty bad, as the OP is saying. As far as I can tell, I always have the option between Normal/Low when using HDMI. Low was default for me, and it looks far better. Normal looks very washed out, no blacks, etc. Others seem to have a problem of not being able to select "Low" So finding a solution to that or a good reason would be nice.
post #102 of 115 Old 12-24-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOHazard87 View Post

The OP definitely has a point, and there are other people having this problem as well.

For me, Normal on HDMI Black Level looks pretty bad, as the OP is saying. As far as I can tell, I always have the option between Normal/Low when using HDMI. Low was default for me, and it looks far better. Normal looks very washed out, no blacks, etc. Others seem to have a problem of not being able to select "Low" So finding a solution to that or a good reason would be nice.

It probably has to do with whether their source device is sending an RGB signal or not. What is your source? Most Blu-ray players do not send RGB. The PS3 is unique since its also a game machine which typically does use RGB. The TV is supposed to grey out the HDMI Black Level setting when it is not. The bug has to do with the fact that Normal should not be degraded and setting Low should have no impact when RGB is not the source, but it seems to at least with some sets.
post #103 of 115 Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 PM

happy holidays all I notice on mine if I have the ps3 rgb set to full and the hdmi level set to low I get nice blacks and as far as I can tell no black crush, but I could be wrong. If I switch the hdmi level to normal it gets a lot brighter but in a contrast type way(more washed out).Also if I set rgb to limited and hdmi level to low it is also washed out looking. I prefer rgb full and hdmi level low. I have all my movie on an external usb hard drive hooked to the ps3, so thats why it come thru as rgb, blu ray my hdmi level is greyed out which of course is normal.
post #104 of 115 Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM

I'm sure you guys probably already read it, but the pretty recent Tom Huffman review measured blacks at .012, and i belive even better on the next B650 he measured. That seems to be pretty good especially compared to last year.
post #105 of 115 Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

If was lieing, i could have kept saying i bought it from bestbuy.. But i didnt.. Plus am not the only one who said the blacks were gray like...

so sometimes you are a liar... and sometimes you are not a liar.

give me a break.........
post #106 of 115 Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is useless.
post #107 of 115 Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

This thread is useless.

Pretty much.
post #108 of 115 Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsward View Post

I'm sure you guys probably already read it, but the pretty recent Tom Huffman review measured blacks at .012, and i belive even better on the next B650 he measured. That seems to be pretty good especially compared to last year.

.012 is good? That depends on what you are used to. I am used to .001, so .012 looks mediocre.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #109 of 115 Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

.012 is good? That depends on what you are used to. I am used to .001, so .012 looks mediocre.

Do you actually do anything around here other than hang out in the topics that aren't related to your set and try to bait responses?
post #110 of 115 Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

Yes, my Pioneer also has a lower black level. If you can find a way to export your black levels from whatever set you have to this Samsung PN58650 then great. Otherwise, bragging about your set is rude and counterproductive to finding a solution for them.
post #111 of 115 Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 AM

Amazing picture quality and so much bigger than my 50inch samsung. I have two Samsung TV's the 58B650 and the 50B650. The 50inch does not buzz but the 58inch buzzes like crazy. I can hear it from about 10-12 feet away. I have to turn the volume up to about 14-15 to drown out the buzzing. Read lots of reviews and looks like the only fix is to get lucky and get one that does not buzz. I had it exchanged once and the new set also buzzes as well. Looks like I'll be exchanging it again. If you get a set that does not buzz your lucky!!
post #112 of 115 Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Samsung build quality is very poor and customer support is even worse
post #113 of 115 Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
A small update, "I think" the blacks got alittle better over time and I'am still trying to get used too not having 120hz sony's MF...
post #114 of 115 Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Sounds like the title of this thread should be edited?
Initial comments by the OP bashing a perfectly good tv seem to be only related to bugs within cinema smooth?

A real shame there are bugs in cinema smooth and that does suck, but the blacks overall are fine on this set IMO and for the money I don't think you can buy a better brand than Samsung in the 58" size.
I prefer it greatly to Panasonic and the Samsung is cheaper in the 58" size.
Sure the high end units and Pioneer brands may be better but they are also more expensive by a good deal.
post #115 of 115 Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsward View Post

I'm confident the black levels of the B650 are better than .012 after a period of time. In my experience the Panasonic S1 is just a hair better in black levels than the B650, and the S1's black level measurement has never been measured as high as .012 that I'm aware of.

for my home theater setup
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page