Large plasmas vs analog and digital SD cable TV signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have Charter cable with digital channels and HD. Most channels are just SD (analog or digital). Have been using a 50" 768p Pioneer 5070 for three years. Our viewing distance is 9 feet. Very happy with it. Wanted to get a new set for same room (Pioneer going to rec room) and bought an S-series Panasonic 58" on Black Friday ($1500). It came last Saturday and the SD analog picture is awful. SD digital is better, but worse than Pioneer. HD is OK, but not great. Had Best Buy send out a couple of techs who pronounced TV defective based on Blu-Ray picture.

Went to BB and looked at their display model of this set hooked to satelite. SD picture is better than mine, but no great shakes.

I can get (eBay) a 60" 6070 (768p) Pioneer for about $2300 and a 1080p 60" Pioneer 6020 for about $3,000. That is much more than the S-series Panasonic. Or a 50" Kuro for about $2,000. I am willing to spend the money and prefer the 60" size. However, I can't see any of the Pioneers to check SD picture quality which is a big issue (it's mostly what we have on Charter). So, hesitant to buy.

I need advice from people with 6070 or 6020 sets on what SD looks like from about 9 feet.

Also, are the V series Panasonics any better on SD than the S-series?

I'm assuming that a 50" Kuro would do at least as good a job as our 5070 does at 9 feet on SD.

Help!

Thanks.

- George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopcbs View Post

We have Charter cable with digital channels and HD. Most channels are just SD (analog or digital). Have been using a 50" 768p Pioneer 5070 for three years. Our viewing distance is 9 feet. Very happy with it. Wanted to get a new set for same room (Pioneer going to rec room) and bought an S-series Panasonic 58" on Black Friday ($1500). It came last Saturday and the SD analog picture is awful. SD digital is better, but worse than Pioneer. HD is OK, but not great. Had Best Buy send out a couple of techs who pronounced TV defective based on Blu-Ray picture.

Went to BB and looked at their display model of this set hooked to satelite. SD picture is better than mine, but no great shakes.

I can get (eBay) a 60" 6070 (768p) Pioneer for about $2300 and a 1080p 60" Pioneer 6020 for about $3,000. That is much more than the S-series Panasonic. Or a 50" Kuro for about $2,000. I am willing to spend the money and prefer the 60" size. However, I can't see any of the Pioneers to check SD picture quality which is a big issue (it's mostly what we have on Charter). So, hesitant to buy.

I need advice from people with 6070 or 6020 sets on what SD looks like from about 9 feet.

Also, are the V series Panasonics any better on SD than the S-series?

I'm assuming that a 50" Kuro would do at least as good a job as our 5070 does at 9 feet on SD.

Help!

Thanks.

- George

Pioneer has always had one of the best processors and does a very good job of displaying SD material (still some flaws though) but keep in mind as you go up in picture size the flaws become more obvious. That's pretty expensive for a 6070. Have you searched to see if you can find a krp-600m? They are getting harder to find but might be some floating around and that gives you the latest, best and last from Pioneer.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-24-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

6070's are extremely rare (new). Given that a 6020 will cost at least $3,000, $2300 is not a bad price.

Anyway, I discovered that the real culprit in my poor SD PQ is not the Panasonic TV, it is the hideous PQ that Charter is supplying. My cable box puts out 480p on non-HD, that is SD, channels and 1080i on HD. As an experiment, I set the output on my Netflix-enabled Blu-Ray player to 480 p and fed the signal into the same HDMI port that is used by the Charter cable box. Then I had Netflix stream episodes of the old Rockford Files and Adam 12 TV shows to the TV. The PQ was not HD, of course, but it was FAR above the level of SD out of the cable box. The picture was soft, but there were no processing/compression artifacts. I then carefully looked at the cable box Sd picture when fed into our other two flat panels, 50" Pioneer and 22" Dynex. In both cases the same poor PQ and artifacts were in evidence, just not as obvious because of the smaller screen size.

I had a Charter service guy come out and he agreed the SD PQ sucked, but there was nothing he could do about it. Even tried a box swap. No benefit. It is amazing that Netflix at $9 a month can supply better SD PQ than Charter does at 8x that.

Time to try an alternative.

- GRL
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page