#1 ·
Im in between:

Samsung PN63c7000

Samsung UN55C7000 cheap

Samsung UN60C6300

Samsung UN55C6500 cheap

Samsung LN60c630 cheap

Panasonic 58V10 or 65V10

With all the problems ive seen with samsungs buzzing and panasonic floating black problems, im lost at this point. Ive even heard of the panasonics now buzzing.

It seems impossible to find tvs which arent plagued with problems.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff /forum/post/17839746

Ive read a review on cnet about the S1 models, and they are very basic models with little to no features. They are cheaper no doubt.

I have the 50S1. It is almost the exact same tv minus a few extra picture settings that you may not even use and internet widgets which are useless to me. They use the same panel. There is nothing basic about my 50S1 when it comes to picture quality. I would dare you to be able to notice the difference between the two in a blind test.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/17828649

Misinformation, as usual. Yes, a Panasonic plasma can rarely have a loud, annoying buzz (all plasmas have some buzz, but it's usually quiet and only heard from the back of the display). But it is definitely more common with Samsung plasmas than Panny plasmas (just search the forum, including entire threads dedicated to 2009 Samsung plasma buzzing, and you'll easily see who's correct). I do agree that most 860 Samsung plasmas do not buzz, but nobody knows the exact % that do (is it 2%, 5%, 10%, or higher?). There are too many posts here in the forum by people who had to return 2 or 3 Samsung plasmas before getting one w/o buzz for it to be "overstated" or "unlikely." I was in BB/Magnolia last week and asked the salesman about it. He told me that the V10 outsells the 860 by a wide margin, that he does not get many returns of the Samsung due to buzz, but does get a lot of calls about the buzz from people who bought the Samsung (sounds like many just don't bother returning it, either because it's not too annoying, or it's just too difficult to return it and they can't be bothered, thus guessing the incidence by the # of returns likely underestimates the true incidence of overly loud buzzing).

I have heard that sets that have a manufacture date of nov 2009 or later do not have the buzzing issue. Not sure how accurate that is.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx /forum/post/17847718

My 58B650 was built in Nov 2009 and it buzzes like a neon light. It's going back to Vanns this week. Fantastic picture though.

That's a shame. I really like the Sammy plasmas and would like to buy a 550/560 or even 860 but there seems to be no pattern or models that are prone to the buzzing. It's keeping me away from making a decision......

#36 ·
Nezff:

Go to the 2009 Panasonic Plasma thread. PQ differences between the S and G models seems non existent. Not to sure about the V models, but any of these will be a large improvement over your current HDTV.

I recently purchased an S1 and love it. The G10 had features that I had no interest in. Why spend all that money on things I will never use. Going for the best is great usually, but when the 2010 models roll out the V series will be obsolete compared to them. In 2-3 years time base models will be better than the V series.

I would take a 65" S1 over a 58" V10. I would rather spend more on screen size than features.

#38 ·

Quote:
"well the 65S1 is the same price as the 58 v10. But the 58S1 is $750 cheaper than the 58V10. Big difference. What is the deal with the 1080p/24 judder I have been hearing on the G10s and the S1s? I watch alot of blurays and dvds, is this going to affect me everytime i watch a bluray?"

The V10 series has 96hz mode to reduce motion judder. The G and S series has 48hz.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh /forum/post/17847782

That's a shame. I really like the Sammy plasmas and would like to buy a 550/560 or even 860 but there seems to be no pattern or models that are prone to the buzzing. It's keeping me away from making a decision......

Yeah, it is a DAMN SHAME! I already own 2 Panasonic plasmas (PX75U/PZ85U) and the Samsung B650's picture just blew me away. I've already placed an order for a 58S1 but am having second thoughts. The 12g Panasonics (S1, G10, V10) look soft and fuzzy compared to the Samsungs in stores. I'm not sure how it will look at home but am having doubts.

I am even considering taking another chance at a Samsung because the picture looks that good to me...

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfx /forum/post/17848234

Yeah, it is a DAMN SHAME! I already own 2 Panasonic plasmas (PX75U/PZ85U) and the Samsung B650's picture just blew me away. I've already placed an order for a 58S1 but am having second thoughts. The 12g Panasonics (S1, G10, V10) look soft and fuzzy compared to the Samsungs in stores. I'm not sure how it will look at home but am having doubts.

I am even considering taking another chance at a Samsung because the picture looks that good to me...

I would agree. I felt the same way but just unsure due to this issue. May risk it though and see.

#41 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh /forum/post/17848460

I would agree. I felt the same way but just unsure due to this issue. May risk it though and see.

I think Im feeling the same way about the samsungs by risking it. The good thing is I can go and demo the 860 and 650 and make that decision. It actually feels better to go and buy the tv locally than order it because you are never sure how the tv will show up and how customer support will treat you.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff /forum/post/17849387

I think Im feeling the same way about the samsungs by risking it. The good thing is I can go and demo the 860 and 650 and make that decision. It actually feels better to go and buy the tv locally than order it because you are never sure how the tv will show up and how customer support will treat you.

That's the unfortunate part since you are more likely to get a good price online. I have looked at 550/650 and 860 couple of times now in stores. Each one of them looks amazing and I hear no buzzing when in the store but ofcourse the acoustics are different in a store than in the home. If I do get it online I would try and make sure that it is from a reputable seller that would gaurantee me a new set and a good return policy.

#46 ·
From what I've read so far, I'd recommend you do one of the following:

Buy that Samsung locally keeping in mind that you will be able to return it if not completely satisfied with it (think about getting the details put down in writing) assuming the deal is good enough. Or buy the Panasonic 65" S1 model through a reputable dealer online. If I were in your shoes I'd probably buy the 65" S1 because I personally prefer Panasnoic and think that particular panel is an amazing value for the money! You would add 5" more to your existing viewing pleasure to boot!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

#47 ·

Quote:

My kids were watching Tinkerbell on Blu ray tonight on our P54S1 and I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that the pq was razor sharp. I was in awe as this is the first new release Blu ray movie that we have played on the tv. The picture quality was absolutely jaw dropping and although I had zero interest in actually watching the movie, I found myself gawking just to admire the brilliance of the picture!!

I'm sure the Samsung's have excellent pq too. I actually looked at a few when shopping around the last few months. The Sammies looked a bit brighter. However, the Panasonics had deeper blacks and from what I've read here and other places, the Pannies had better build quality fwiw. These two factors sold me.

To each there own. Buy whatever looks better to you. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied customers on both ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.