TCP54G10 and UNB556000 Sitting In My Living - Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope all you gurus can shed some light. I originally purchased a Samsung UN55B6000 because I loved the crisp picture and pop it gave. Got it home and have had none of the problems reported by other owners of this set (no clouding, flashlighting etc) - it is a Dec 2009 build, so maybe they are working out some of the kinks. However, it does suffer from poor viewing angle. As a result of reading many threads, I went and bought a 54g10 and set it up right next to the Sammy. I have both sets configured to well known settings from others on the thread (using serialmike's custom on G10 w/ laest fw - updated before I did anything else) and have done as much side-by-side viewing as possible with different content. Last night, watched Dark Knight on Dish HD and the pictures were very comparable - I would give a slight advantage to the G10 for shadow detail. Watched some bowl games from OTA and I give the slight advantage to B6000 because colors were crisper. This morning, doing some daylight viewing and from straight on, the B6000 blows away the G10 - G10 is completly washed out. If I move to a more sever angle, the B6000 washes out and looks almost identical to the G10. Based on my current observations, I am leaning toward keeping the B6000 over the G10. Am I missing something because so many people say the plasma trumps the LED/LCD (I know it is edgelit), but I am just not seeing it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blstanle View Post

Hope all you gurus can shed some light. I originally purchased a Samsung UN55B6000 because I loved the crisp picture and pop it gave. Got it home and have had none of the problems reported by other owners of this set (no clouding, flashlighting etc) - it is a Dec 2009 build, so maybe they are working out some of the kinks. However, it does suffer from poor viewing angle. As a result of reading many threads, I went and bought a 54g10 and set it up right next to the Sammy. I have both sets configured to well known settings from others on the thread (using serialmike's custom on G10 w/ laest fw - updated before I did anything else) and have done as much side-by-side viewing as possible with different content. Last night, watched Dark Knight on Dish HD and the pictures were very comparable - I would give a slight advantage to the G10 for shadow detail. Watched some bowl games from OTA and I give the slight advantage to B6000 because colors were crisper. This morning, doing some daylight viewing and from straight on, the B6000 blows away the G10 - G10 is completly washed out. If I move to a more sever angle, the B6000 washes out and looks almost identical to the G10. Based on my current observations, I am leaning toward keeping the B6000 over the G10. Am I missing something because so many people say the plasma trumps the LED/LCD (I know it is edgelit), but I am just not seeing it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Choose the one that best fits your need and enjoy. A lot would depend on how often others watch TV with you and also if the light in the room can be controlled or how often you watch TV during the day. Only you have those answers.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Firstly, you need to recognize that the LED backlit sets utilize an auto-dimming backlight in dark scenes, so for example in The Dark Knight during the Joker interrogation scene when the camera cuts to the Joker hidden in the shadows while Gordon is still in the room the tv cuts it's entire backlight to 0. Compared to the plasma, you should barely be able to see anything in dark scenes. The Dark Knight should be damn near unwatchable on the LED LCD in many scenes, compared to the plasma.

Secondly, with fast moving objects you should see much more clarity coming from the Panasonic with it's 1080 lines of motion resolution compared to the LCDs about 600. Unless you're using the auto-motion plus feature, in which case the picture will look fake, produce unwanted artifacts, and still not match plasma's motion resolution.

Regarding the Panasonic in the daytime, you are correct that LCDs (especially Samsung models) fare greatly in daylight, while the Panasonics' blacks wash out to a light grey. This was one of the factors that made me opt for a Samsung plasma instead of Panasonic, as they hold their blacks better in daylight.

Now, with the proper settings the LCD isn't going to look that much different than a plasma; i.e. if you calibrate your LCD to be more accurate, which is what most plasmas are right out of the box. There's a lot of plasma owners here who assume every LCD owner runs their television in torch mode with all of the settings cranked to max, which just isn't the case. That said, you should keep the plasma. It was probably cheaper, and doesn't rely on gimmicks like motion interpolation and auto-dimming backlighting to produce a superior picture.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #4 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If you are mostly concerned with day time washout but want to keep a plasma I'd look at either the 650/850 series from Samsung as they have a darker AR filter closer to what their lcds use.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

If you are mostly concerned with day time washout but want to keep a plasma I'd look at either the 650/850 series from Samsung as they have a darker AR filter closer to what their lcds use.

But you may want to be aware of the Sammy panel buzzing issues on the plasmas.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post

But you may want to be aware of the Sammy panel buzzing issues on the plasmas.

It's something to look out for if you take one home, but not every '09 Samsung plasma has a buzzing problem.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

It's something to look out for if you take one home, but not every '09 Samsung plasma has a buzzing problem.

That's the unfortunate part since it's not easy to return one if you buy it online. I have been wanting to get the benefits of the LCD and plasma which a Sammy plasma can offer to some extent but the buzzing is not something I would be able to live with. Plasma is better for SD content as well but may end up with an LCD just because of the buzzing issue.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post

That's the unfortunate part since it's not easy to return one if you buy it online. I have been wanting to get the benefits of the LCD and plasma which a Sammy plasma can offer to some extent but the buzzing is not something I would be able to live with. Plasma is better for SD content as well but may end up with an LCD just because of the buzzing issue.

If you can gaurantee you're getting a November-built Samsung, I don't think you'll get a buzzer. Mine is dead quiet, and others with a recently-built model have said the same.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

If you can gaurantee you're getting a November-built Samsung, I don't think you'll get a buzzer. Mine is dead quiet, and others with a recently-built model have said the same.

That is good to hear, what model do you have? Are some more prone to the buzzing than others? Did you buy yours online?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM

blstanle -

I'm in the same boat, which TV did you end up chosing? Just a bit worried about the G series and the problems reported in the other thread about the black lightening up.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

I wish i had your problem!
It'sYOUR call.

ALL MY MONEY I SPENT ON AUDIO AND VIDEO; THE REST I JUST WASTED!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
Even a 6 or 8 series Samsung PDP will be no match for the B6000 during daylight viewing. The B6000 will still look better. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that even the Kuros have great blacks in a sunlit room. I have a 500M, and it doesn't have world-class blacks on sunny blue-sky days. It has dark greenish/grayish blacks, like deep water in a lake or the sea. It has pretty good blacks on cloudy gray days and in the evening when the sun sets the blacks are awesome, especially with a bit of bias lighting.

It really depends on whether or not the majority of your viewing is during bright daylight, or during the evening when the light can be controlled.

Since I live in the cloudy-gray PAC-NW, and most of my viewing is in the evening time, I can live with the 500M. But come summertime I would rather swap it out for a B8500 for a few months. Then I would want to go back to the 500M after the autmnal equinox.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My roommates recently bought a 46B6000. Looks great during the day (as all LCD's do) but I've noticed that when they lower the backlight and use CNet's recommended settings for night viewing, the picture quality totally falls apart.

Could you maybe compromise and get a backlit 55" LED? Maybe the LG LH90 or Tosh 670? The Samsung 8500 is great but $$$$$.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I now have a 58B860 and so far so good - no buzzing and the filter makes a difference. Have only had it for a day so will keep an eye on buzzing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page