Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 129 Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was a bit wary about buying this TV for two reasons -
1) power consumption
2) picture quality compared to LED sets.

With LED models coming down in price, I almost bought 55" LED set in the same price range. I am so glad I didn't. After enjoying this TV for a week, I have to say that this is a great TV with outstanding picture quality and with surprising low power consumptions.

Using a kill-a-watt meter I observed the power consummption fluctuating between 250 - 350W when watching 1080i cable feed. This is not bad considering my old 56" rear projection TV was using solid 200W. I think this is higher then LED / LCD sets but much lower then older plasmas that were not Energy Star certified. Thanks to that, this TV does not get as hot as other sets I have seen in the BestBuy show-rooms. A pleasant surprise.

The picture quality is just outstanding. Not only with HD / Blu-ray flux, but when you look at the traditional cable channels 480 SD. SD TV looks much better than my old rear projection TV 1080 and 2 years, 32 "LCD Sharp like me. Int are built speakers are just OK, but I am using a home theater system, this is not a problem for me .

http://dear-lcdhdtv.blogspot.com/201...0p-plasma.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Liked: 15
Good to see someone giving this TV it's own thread.

I have my 63B590 since September and it continues to amaze me.
I originally bought it as a "compromise" because Samsung's new 65" LCD was going to be at least $2k more expensive.

I'm so happy I bought this TV!
That being said...it's not perfect.

Pros...
1) Excellent Color & Contrast
2) Excellent Value / Bang for the Buck (63 inches!)
3) No evidence at all of "Dirty" or off-colored whites
4) No Buzzing (on my set)
5) Beautiful design...looks great in my entertainment wall

Cons...
1) IR: I still get some IR from things like the Oppo logo on a black background
(easily rectified with a 10 minute use of the Scrolling feature)
2) Black Levels: while very good...they are not absolutely black
(I notice this mostly on very dark movie scenes)
Perhaps a professional calibration would help this aspect.

Overall I would give this TV a rating of 90 out of 100.

Pete
post #3 of 129 Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 AM

What is the "anynet" feature on this set?
post #4 of 129 Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM

The marketed term Samsung uses to explain HDMI-CEC. Most all TVs are capable of this. Actually most users turn this feature off because of interference with AVRs and some "quirks" the feature causes when switching devices. All in all I can say that it makes it convenient to control Bluray players in the show room when the disc players remote cannot be located.

Pimping a free Toshiba 42 LCD, Thanks to all you that bought TVs in the month of January from BBY.
post #5 of 129 Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 AM

I just installed my Samsung PN63B590 yesterday and I noticed something about how the tv is sitting. The tv is on a completely level (checked with a level!) tv stand and the base is sitting securely (and completely) on the stand, however, the tv is tilted backwards some. I have tried to move it forward, but the tv stand doesn't appear to have a forward/backward motion, only left to right.

Has anyone else noticed this and if not, what should I do? The base was already installed when I got it, I just took it out of the box. Is this harmful to the tv in anyway?
post #6 of 129 Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post

Good to see someone giving this TV it's own thread.

I have my 63B590 since September and it continues to amaze me.
I originally bought it as a "compromise" because Samsung's new 65" LCD was going to be at least $2k more expensive.

I'm so happy I bought this TV!
That being said...it's not perfect.

Pros...
1) Excellent Color & Contrast
2) Excellent Value / Bang for the Buck (63 inches!)
3) No evidence at all of "Dirty" or off-colored whites
4) No Buzzing (on my set)
5) Beautiful design...looks great in my entertainment wall

Cons...
1) IR: I still get some IR from things like the Oppo logo on a black background
(easily rectified with a 10 minute use of the Scrolling feature)
2) Black Levels: while very good...they are not absolutely black
(I notice this mostly on very dark movie scenes)
Perhaps a professional calibration would help this aspect.

Overall I would give this TV a rating of 90 out of 100.

Pete

cinema smooth function? pro or con?
post #7 of 129 Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 432
This unit is better than a LED. No motion blur, no halo effect, better color reproduction, better off angle viewing, and most important no LCD/LED glitches.
post #8 of 129 Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrdog View Post

I just installed my Samsung PN63B590 yesterday and I noticed something about how the tv is sitting. The tv is on a completely level (checked with a level!) tv stand and the base is sitting securely (and completely) on the stand, however, the tv is tilted backwards some. I have tried to move it forward, but the tv stand doesn't appear to have a forward/backward motion, only left to right.

Has anyone else noticed this and if not, what should I do? The base was already installed when I got it, I just took it out of the box. Is this harmful to the tv in anyway?

I would say my TV tilts back very slightly (like 1-2 degrees). Not enough to matter or even notice until I read your post and looked at it in perfect profile critically. If yours is meaningful more than that I would say it is not normal.
post #9 of 129 Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Citivas:

After looking at it more closely, I would say that the degree of tilt is about 1-2 degrees also. You can't tell there's a tilt to it unless you're looking at it from the side though.

I guess I'll wait for Samsung's reply on this, but from the sounds of it, it maybe the way it was designed.

Thanks for your input!
post #10 of 129 Old 01-24-2010, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Placed order for delivery on 2/1.
post #11 of 129 Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

anyone want to share their settings with this TV?
post #12 of 129 Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM

I bought this set in September to replace a 65" Sony rear projection HD set. I shopped around a lot and looked at many different sets. We mainly watch sports and this set is fantastic for that. This football season, friends have come to my house rather than to a sports bar because I have a better picture. I have an HD DirecTV DVR and the PQ is excellent. The speakers are as good as any other flat panel set and better than most, but I would recomend using a home theater system. I used the Video Essential DVD to make adjustments, but did not have to do much. I am very pleased so far.
post #13 of 129 Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

I bought this set in September to replace a 65" Sony rear projection HD set. I shopped around a lot and looked at many different sets. We mainly watch sports and this set is fantastic for that. This football season, friends have come to my house rather than to a sports bar because I have a better picture. I have an HD DirecTV DVR and the PQ is excellent. The speakers are as good as any other flat panel set and better than most, but I would recomend using a home theater system. I used the Video Essential DVD to make adjustments, but did not have to do much. I am very pleased so far.

I noticed that with the set in the showroom. It just looked right without the need for further adjustment.
post #14 of 129 Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb01 View Post

anyone want to share their settings with this TV?

These are my settings...they look good on my set in my man cave.
YMMV of course...

Pete

Movie
Cell 10
Contrast 88
Brightness 47
Sharp 15
Color 43
Tint 42/58
Gamma +1
Color Tone: Normal
flesh off
black 0ff
NR off
HDMI low
White balance:
R-O 22
G-O 25
B-O 12
R-G 33
G-G 25
B-G 33
post #15 of 129 Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just hooked one of these up for a friend yesterday and he's very happy. I did notice a slight backwards tilt.
post #16 of 129 Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Hessel Holland:

While samsung hasn't replied officially yet, I think that it designed that way intentionally and I think it's for ventillation purposes.
post #17 of 129 Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM

New contributor, long-time fan.

Was vacillating between the Panny 65V10 and this Sammy. Couldn't convince myself that the considerable extra money was worth it for the Panasonic. Samsung was delivered last Friday 1/22 and I immediately jumped into watching a movie. Without calibration, it looked great but now realize it does need it. Upon further reading, became torn on whether to do the break-in. Playing it safe and running the break-in images via USB for ~100 hours and following the viewing guidelines (full screen, no bars, low contrast/brightness, etc.) when I do want to watch something. Once I'm through that I'll do a guided calibration and pull the gloves off.

With what little watching I've done, I've been very pleased and have high expectations from this set. Will post back once I'm through the break-in.

For whatever reason, this unit doesn't seem to get as much attention in the forum so let's keep this thread going!
post #18 of 129 Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxdii View Post

The marketed term Samsung uses to explain HDMI-CEC. Most all TVs are capable of this. Actually most users turn this feature off because of interference with AVRs and some "quirks" the feature causes when switching devices. All in all I can say that it makes it convenient to control Bluray players in the show room when the disc players remote cannot be located.

Yup, we've got two Sammys in our showroom connected to Sammy BD players and that's the main use for the HDMI-CEC. The set will automatically switch to the BD input when the player is turned on, but establishing a handshake is still a pain. First the BD player blue intro screen will come on, then the HDMI link will be lost and the set will say "no signal", waiting another minute or so will finally get things going but some people give up at that point and just put the set on the store feed. I hate Samsung's HDMI characteristics. After a seemingly interminable wait for communication to be established the remote for the tv or the one for the player will operate the BD player even if there's no line of sight to the player--the tv in effect controls the player.

Steve S.
post #19 of 129 Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 AM

After a few months, I turned the Anynet feature off on my set. I have a Samsung Blu-Ray connected and every time you try to change the input, it tries to force you to go to the Blu-Ray player. It turns the Blu-Ray player on and you have to go through the entire start up and shut down process to get past that input.
post #20 of 129 Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM

After much research, I put an order for Samsung PN63B590 to replace my Hitachi 57SWX20B rptv. It's on back order and so I have to have perhaps 1 to 2 weeks for delivery.

63" plasma, some amps, speakers, dvds, etc
post #21 of 129 Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post

After much research, I put an order for Samsung PN63B590 to replace my Hitachi 57SWX20B rptv. It's on back order and so I have to have perhaps 1 to 2 weeks for delivery.

Having once had a very similar Hitachi I can say you're in for a treat.

Steve S.
post #22 of 129 Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 PM

well i got mine in august...its been a bit of a learning process for me..tweaking and such..its my first hdtv.

when i first got it i thought it looked great and the size of it was jawdropping but still i thought it would look more looking through the window like..
best buy calibrated it for me and i got closer to that and for a couple months ive been tweaking here and there and i can say i am now completely happy with it.
i dont know what BB did in the service menu but here is my final settings:

Movie(warm1)
cell 9
contrast 95
brightness 53
sharpness 16
color 50
edge enhancment: off
dynamic contarst: medium
DNR: off

Blu-Rays: 60
post #23 of 129 Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

All,
I recently got a 63B590 and the picture is definitely great for video, etc. But being new to the Plasma world (my last set was a DLP) i'm trying to understand a few things that I have noticed with this set.

1. When I started to use some of the break-in images on this set, i noticed that on full-white and some mid intensity shades of green and blue there were "seams" across the screen. It's hard to describe these visually as they are very "faint" but go all the way across the screen, perfectly level and do not move. Visually they seem to be flat on top and are only about 1/4" high and are an ever so slight shade difference in the color being displayed. I first noticed it as a "band" about 3" tall that was about 5" down from the top of the screen. The band appears ever so slightly lighter in shade than the rest of the screen. You can notice add'l lines that are even fainter in about 5" increments down the screen, again horizontal across the entire screen. These are noticeable even at 10-12' back, in fact is easier to notice standing back than up really close. You need a dark room and a minute or so for your eyes to adjust.

After first noticing this i changed inputs, relocated wireless equipment, subwoofer, etc. and then finally went to the burn-in protection menu and found it in the scrolling grayscale as well with nothing else attached to the plasma. Again it's very subtle, but noticeable and I then could see it in some video content that had a mid tone color that was constant, or at least covered the top portion of the screen, like a blue sky. Also commercials that have a lot of white in the bkgrnd, etc.

It is definitely not burn-in or IR so I ruled that out. Just wondering if A) This is normal for a set of this size/type and/or B) if anyone else can see this. Usually easiest to notice looking at a full-white screen in "dynamic" mode to drive the panel brightly, but noticeable at lower intensities too.

2. Also I have noticed some, what i'd call streaking, where you see a "streak" extending to the right from solid text on a solid background. For Example, the "preview" screen that comes up before movie trailers that is all green with bright white text. I usually see some from that as well as other commercials that have a lot of solid areas.

3. Full-bright - I know that Plasmas are not as good at driving a full white screen to the entire panel(vs LCDs), due to driving all the cells at once and there being some power limiter on the panel. When i pull up a full-white (say break-in image again) I see more of a light gray image. If you pull up the input menu that overlays about 2/3 the screen then the remaining white portion tends to "pop" white a bit more, then goes back to the greyish cast when the menu is removed. Just checking to see if that's normal for folks?

Otherwise when watching video content the picture is really amazing, even being safe and keeping cell and contrast setting conservative it looks great. I know I can be picky but want to make sure that i'm not asking for too much here.

I've read others say that they are having problems with the CinemaSmooth option, but I haven't seen any problems myself. But like others i'm not sure how to see the difference. I definitely notice that my BRP needs to be in 24hz mode in order to choose it. So i assume it's working but i'm not sure what content would show the "judder" of 3:2. people say scrolling credits? maybe i can look at that. I'm using a LG BD370 player.

-Mark
post #24 of 129 Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM

Liked: 11
Melston,
I have the PS63B680 model (European model 6 series plasma).
According to issue number 1, I have noticed it as well. Although I am so pleased with the overall picture that I kept the set.
Anyway is so subtle that you have to look for it to notice. For example nobody else has notice it while watching movies You can notice it if you look when the camera moves vertically and there is a mid tone color that is constant. And is true if you seat closer to the set you cannot notice it at all.
I believe this is normal with Plasma technology at these sizes. I have also noticed something similar on a 60" KURO screen of a very good friend of mine. He has never noticed the issue.
post #25 of 129 Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYK48 View Post

Melston,
I have the PS63B680 model (European model 6 series plasma).
According to issue number 1, I have noticed it as well. Although I am so pleased with the overall picture that I kept the set.
Anyway is so subtle that you have to look for it to notice. For example nobody else has notice it while watching movies You can notice it if you look when the camera moves vertically and there is a mid tone color that is constant. And is true if you seat closer to the set you cannot notice it at all.
I believe this is normal with Plasma technology at these sizes. I have also noticed something similar on a 60" KURO screen of a very good friend of mine. He has never noticed the issue.

AndyK48,
Thanks for letting me know that. Since i'm new to plasma (last one was DLP) I wasn't sure if i was being to particular or unrealistic about performance. I agree that for most movie content it's seldom noticeable. Guess that's a side effect of Plasmas.

-Melston
post #26 of 129 Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM

I have had my set since September and we watch about 5-6 hours per day of DirecTV, HD programming. I have never noticed any "faint seams" or "streaking" but have not used or looked at any break in images. I am very pleased with this set and consider it to be the ultimate sports TV. Football, basketball, golf and baseball in HD all look incredible on this set.
post #27 of 129 Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Got mine today. So far, it looks really good and alot more like crt.
More later...
Oh ya, no buzz at all.
post #28 of 129 Old 02-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrudy View Post

well i got mine in august...its been a bit of a learning process for me..tweaking and such..its my first hdtv.

when i first got it i thought it looked great and the size of it was jawdropping but still i thought it would look more looking through the window like..
best buy calibrated it for me and i got closer to that and for a couple months ive been tweaking here and there and i can say i am now completely happy with it.
i dont know what BB did in the service menu but here is my final settings:

Movie(warm1)
cell 9
contrast 95
brightness 53
sharpness 16
color 50
edge enhancment: off
dynamic contarst: medium
DNR: off

So BB turned your Dynamic Contrast ON? That's not a good idea.... it will fluctuate the black levels depending whats on the screen.
post #29 of 129 Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I just got this TV yesterday. Primarily due to the various posts I read hear between the Panny S1 and this. Got what I think was a great deal on the TV (threw in a Blu ray player for free) wall speakers and sub. First off, I would say it is a beautiful TV. I found myself wanting to leave work early today just to get home and watch Ironman. Color is great when watching TV. I did run into one snag that I wanted to get your opinions on. I played a little PS3 on it tonight and the color was terrible. VERY little blacks, the whole picture looked like I had the brightness and contrast all the way up. Dark grey/blue buildings appeared very light grey. A bit concerned about this. I am sure it is a setting with game in itself. Perhaps it will be fixed after I get it calibrated (got a free calibration as well!) Any idea on what I can try to remedy this problem in the mean time? Over all very good TV.
post #30 of 129 Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melston View Post

All,
I recently got a 63B590 and the picture is definitely great for video, etc. But being new to the Plasma world (my last set was a DLP) i'm trying to understand a few things that I have noticed with this set.

1. When I started to use some of the break-in images on this set, i noticed that on full-white and some mid intensity shades of green and blue there were "seams" across the screen. It's hard to describe these visually as they are very "faint" but go all the way across the screen, perfectly level and do not move. Visually they seem to be flat on top and are only about 1/4" high and are an ever so slight shade difference in the color being displayed. I first noticed it as a "band" about 3" tall that was about 5" down from the top of the screen. The band appears ever so slightly lighter in shade than the rest of the screen. You can notice add'l lines that are even fainter in about 5" increments down the screen, again horizontal across the entire screen. These are noticeable even at 10-12' back, in fact is easier to notice standing back than up really close. You need a dark room and a minute or so for your eyes to adjust.

After first noticing this i changed inputs, relocated wireless equipment, subwoofer, etc. and then finally went to the burn-in protection menu and found it in the scrolling grayscale as well with nothing else attached to the plasma. Again it's very subtle, but noticeable and I then could see it in some video content that had a mid tone color that was constant, or at least covered the top portion of the screen, like a blue sky. Also commercials that have a lot of white in the bkgrnd, etc.

It is definitely not burn-in or IR so I ruled that out. Just wondering if A) This is normal for a set of this size/type and/or B) if anyone else can see this. Usually easiest to notice looking at a full-white screen in "dynamic" mode to drive the panel brightly, but noticeable at lower intensities too.

2. Also I have noticed some, what i'd call streaking, where you see a "streak" extending to the right from solid text on a solid background. For Example, the "preview" screen that comes up before movie trailers that is all green with bright white text. I usually see some from that as well as other commercials that have a lot of solid areas.

3. Full-bright - I know that Plasmas are not as good at driving a full white screen to the entire panel(vs LCDs), due to driving all the cells at once and there being some power limiter on the panel. When i pull up a full-white (say break-in image again) I see more of a light gray image. If you pull up the input menu that overlays about 2/3 the screen then the remaining white portion tends to "pop" white a bit more, then goes back to the greyish cast when the menu is removed. Just checking to see if that's normal for folks?

Otherwise when watching video content the picture is really amazing, even being safe and keeping cell and contrast setting conservative it looks great. I know I can be picky but want to make sure that i'm not asking for too much here.

I've read others say that they are having problems with the CinemaSmooth option, but I haven't seen any problems myself. But like others i'm not sure how to see the difference. I definitely notice that my BRP needs to be in 24hz mode in order to choose it. So i assume it's working but i'm not sure what content would show the "judder" of 3:2. people say scrolling credits? maybe i can look at that. I'm using a LG BD370 player.

-Mark

I will second this. I'm experiencing the exact same scenario. I did about 50 hours of the break-in images, then my Spears & Munsil calibration DVD arrived yesterday and I spent a good 1.5 hours on that. Then I put in Star Trek. Looked amazing but afterwords saw some letterbox IR. I want to do a little more research and tweaking on the calibration. I'll post my settings once that's complete. If anyone has any feedback re: this post I'm sure we'd both appreciate it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page