Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 197 Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj slick View Post

Glad to see you finally picked up the 151 Bantam11. I am curious about how many hours are on mine as well. I am getting it delivered next Wednesday and don't have to stress about this 141 with the bad ir/burn in anymore. Also, you should be getting back about $100 in reward zone credit , so you can pick up a blu ray player to compliment your new tv.

I bought the GGF1589 remote off ebay to check mine (I figure it will come in handy for other things anyway). Easiest thing ever, panel was new as advertised. I'm willing to lend it locally in the Bay Area to any who need to try it out.

I should go to various best buys and call them out on their lies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 197 Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Was thinking about getting one off the bay as well. I was told that you can check it with the factory remote as well. I will call tomorrow and find out. If anyone else has any codes or way of finding out the hours used I'd like to know.
post #93 of 197 Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 AM

Aj,

I think you can if you can enter the service menu using control cal and the special profile.
post #94 of 197 Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Hope things get better for you! Stay tuned I am sure there will be something good for you when you are ready!

Thanks, Roman. The news improved somewhat, my "company" is sticking around, but at a reduced production level.

You may have heard something about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/ar...ref=television

I figure a guy who works in television should have a really nice television, right? Maybe those Panny VT25s will fit the bill. Unless Roman has a 141 in stock and wants to give me the deal of a lifetime!
post #95 of 197 Old 01-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Liked: 11
Good to hear things will get better for sure! 141's been gone from people I know for a while now
post #96 of 197 Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Are there any other Best Buys near your location that have a 141 or 151?
post #97 of 197 Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj slick View Post

Are there any other Best Buys near your location that have a 141 or 151?

Possibly, I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm half convinced that by even starting this thread I started a flood of last-minute 141 purchases, thus eliminating any possible chance I'd have of snagging one. That and I always drag my feet on big purchases until I've thoroughly exhausted all research resources and convinced myself that I HAVE to buy.

A smart man and his $3000 shouldn't be too easily parted.
post #98 of 197 Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM

My 141 was installed Saturday...I will post pics soon. I am just running the slides even though I heard that the panels have 100 hours of "break in" at the plant. I have the Chief mount that extends 37 inches...totally sick. It is lick you are on top of the TV. It was between the 65v10 with a mount that was standard...just a tilt. If I went with a 60 then I wanted to bring the TV closer to make up for the "smaller" tv...all I have to say is I am so happy how it turned out. Pictures to come soon. Just sick
post #99 of 197 Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 AM

We would love to see your pics, congrats!
post #100 of 197 Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 AM

I know of a BB here in NJ that has a 141 floor model.
post #101 of 197 Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wel, I looked at the last 141 in the Los Angeles Best Buys, and it was disappointing. I ran the burn-in slides, and there was a significant occurance of dark spotting in the lower right corner and the screen was highly marred and streaked. I was able to buff out a little bit of the screen marring with some saliva and a microfibre, but they had clearly been spraying the Monster Power cleaner directly on a hot screen for far too long. It's been there since July, as well.

Of course I'm game for a bargain, so I tried to get their lowest price. They claim they paid $3400 for it and that would be the lowest they could go. I missed a chance to negotiate with the manager there on Sunday for a extended warranty/calibration package (which I would have returned) in order to lower the price more. The Home Theater manager came in today and squashed any sale of the monitor for less than $3400. And to be honest, the BI/IR looked pretty significant and could be seen on any non-white or light gray screen. Who knows if it would have ever come out. For ~$3K I would have taken it home to find out, but alas, it was not meant to be.

On to other options, I suppose. Congrats to those who got the display they always wanted.
post #102 of 197 Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM

I cant blame them for selling it at cost, I am willing to take the bet it will move fast
post #103 of 197 Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahabel View Post

Wel, I looked at the last 141 in the Los Angeles Best Buys, and it was disappointing. I ran the burn-in slides, and there was a significant occurance of dark spotting in the lower right corner and the screen was highly marred and streaked. I was able to buff out a little bit of the screen marring with some saliva and a microfibre, but they had clearly been spraying the Monster Power cleaner directly on a hot screen for far too long. It's been there since July, as well.

Of course I'm game for a bargain, so I tried to get their lowest price. They claim they paid $3400 for it and that would be the lowest they could go. I missed a chance to negotiate with the manager there on Sunday for a extended warranty/calibration package (which I would have returned) in order to lower the price more. The Home Theater manager came in today and squashed any sale of the monitor for less than $3400. And to be honest, the BI/IR looked pretty significant and could be seen on any non-white or light gray screen. Who knows if it would have ever come out. For ~$3K I would have taken it home to find out, but alas, it was not meant to be.

On to other options, I suppose. Congrats to those who got the display they always wanted.

$3,300 and $3,400 is the price BB pays for 141's and 151's as well. In my area they are willing to sell way below cost in order to move out the floor models. I would keep checking around. Also check the Pioneer website and get listings for all the retailers in your area. Go down the list and see what you can find.
post #104 of 197 Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam11 View Post

$3,300 and $3,400 is the price BB pays for 141's and 151's as well. In my area they are willing to sell way below cost in order to move out the floor models. I would keep checking around. Also check the Pioneer website and get listings for all the retailers in your area. Go down the list and see what you can find.

Wish I lived in your area. Seems the supply has dried up and no one is budging on price. The Magnolia showrooms in LA have their 151s on sale, but they won't come off of $4000. Just too much for an open box, IMO.

Pretty effing bummed. Frack.
post #105 of 197 Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM

It's not too much if the supply is drying up and you want it. I can assure you that you wouldn't regret the purchase. Heck, it's still 20% cheaper than the lowest price commonly available 10 months ago.
post #106 of 197 Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

That's actually a great point, what was the lowest average price people paid for a 141/151 over the last year?

I'm certain I wouldn't regret the purchase, but I have to get my girlfriend on board and she already has a hard time seeing the value in this purchase. She thinks all HDTVs look the same, and even likes the eerie 120hz effect on LCDs. She thinks it makes it look "so clear." Don't worry, she has many other fine qualities, A/V appreciation just isn't one of them. (I could sell a tenth of her purse collection and pay cash for a Kuro, but let's not go there, shall we.)

So if you guys could choose a 151 for $4K in good shape, or a $3400 141 with possible BI/IR issues, what would you take? Or how about a calibrated and burned-in 101FD for $3K (but the 50" would be a downsize from our current 55" SXRD RPTV)?
post #107 of 197 Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 PM

I honestly don't understand why so many poor chaps on these forums allow their girlfriends/wives to dictate to them what kind of TV they must buy. So sad. I long for the good old days, when women understood their place and didn't interfere in a man's business.

$4000 for an open box is too much anyway. It's not worth that much. I wouldn't do it. Nor would I pay $3k for a 50 inch. Too much.
post #108 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I honestly don't understand why so many poor chaps on these forums allow their girlfriends/wives to dictate to them what kind of TV they must buy.

It's the price we pay for getting them to stick around long after they've seen us naked.
post #109 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:

That's actually a great point, what was the lowest average price people paid for a 141/151 over the last year?

I'm certain I wouldn't regret the purchase, but I have to get my girlfriend on board and she already has a hard time seeing the value in this purchase. She thinks all HDTVs look the same, and even likes the eerie 120hz effect on LCDs. She thinks it makes it look "so clear." Don't worry, she has many other fine qualities, A/V appreciation just isn't one of them. (I could sell a tenth of her purse collection and pay cash for a Kuro, but let's not go there, shall we.)

So if you guys could choose a 151 for $4K in good shape, or a $3400 141 with possible BI/IR issues, what would you take? Or how about a calibrated and burned-in 101FD for $3K (but the 50" would be a downsize from our current 55" SXRD RPTV)?

How big is the room you are putting it in? I would take the 101 as my last choice, but 10" is a big difference and I think the bigger size is worth it. The price the are selling the 151 and 141 is their clearance price. Which is okay if the tv was brand new- but this is probably over a year old, a good amount of hours, and no remote and manual. I don't why they are sticking to that price, especially if it is a demo. Most of the stores i've been to have them listed for less and would work with the price as well.
post #110 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm a little dumbfounded by the Magnolia stores' refusal to budge. The salesman on the phone basically said "it will sell for $4000." And you know what, he's probably right. There are far too many people in LA with more money than sense.

I'm putting this in a fairly large room, 20' x 16'. We currently have a 55" RPTV and it feels a bit undersized. Believe it or not the girlfriend is the one clamoring for more inches. (GA-ZING!) She is even down with a front projector and screen but I can't find a satisfying way to place my speakers and the screen in that scenario (we're in a rental with plaster walls and ceilings and I'm not going to install a drop down screen or install speakers on the wall; way too messy to fix when we leave).

Anyway, I've gotten several PMs from helpful members trying to get me a Kuro. Thanks a ton, guys, I knew there were a lot of good reasons to keep using AVS for my AV info, but the support of the members here is the best reason to stick around. Hopefully I can sort this mess out sooner than later.
post #111 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM

If you don't mind purchasing out of your area, you could get one shipped from mine. Assuming it's still there, I know of a 141 that is advertised for $2,899.00 I know of another for even less.
post #112 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM

I just took delivery of the BB 151FD floor model last night. Everything looks great as far as I can tell.

WOW... I can't believe how great this set looks! I have what I thought was the best plasma ever in my BR (purchased last year) and when walking back and forth between both TV's I couldn't believe how much nicer the 151 is in comparison. I guess I now have a new benchmark and some adjustments to make on the other TV. This KURO rocks!
post #113 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I just took delivery of the BB 151FD floor model last night. Everything looks great as far as I can tell.

WOW... I can't believe how great this set looks! I have what I thought was the best plasma ever in my BR (purchased last year) and when walking back and forth between both TV's I couldn't believe how much nicer the 151 is in comparison. I guess I now have a new benchmark and some adjustments to make on the other TV. This KURO rocks!

Got my 151 replacement delivered about 2 hours ago. Removed the speakers and cleaned up screen and bezel. Other than a few swirls on the bezel, the screen looks mint.
Letting it warm up to room temp. Hopefully no burn-in like the 141 display/demo. Glad to see you got yours as well Bantam11-.
post #114 of 197 Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

So, AJ, how's it look?

I got a tip that a local BB (Lakewood, CA) had a 141 for sale and indeed they do...a new one! Unfortunately they are asking full MSRP but extended a $500-off offer and included calibration. If someone far richer than me is interested, then I welcome them to enjoy the glory of a NIB 141.

I should have studied harder in school. No, wait, I studied plenty hard. I should have chosen a more lucrative field than "entertainment production lackey;" that's it!

Sigh.
post #115 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Happy to report no burn-in on this one. The screen is near mint and a few scratches and swirls on the bezel, but this is a display model and I couldn't pass it up for the price. Good luck on your search. I'm sure something will turn up for you.
post #116 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Congrats AJ! Enjoy watching the games this weekend on your 151. Go JETS!
post #117 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks- Awesome set, been drooling over it since it came out, but the price was too steep. Plus it was one of the few kuros left around here.
post #118 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wish I lived in your area. Seems the supply has dried up and no one is budging on price. The Magnolia showrooms in LA have their 151s on sale, but they won't come off of $4000. Just too much for an open box, IMO.

Pretty effing bummed. Frack.

Yikes, over here in Virginia they had a 141 floor and one sealed in the back. They offered the sealed one for $3499. Great deal, probably get the open one for around 3. Funny how the different stores have such different prices.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #119 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Enjoy it!! The 9Gs are awesome.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #120 of 197 Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure if you are aware, but the 101FD and the 500M's got some 10G tech that gives them even deeper blacks than the other 9Gs. D-Nice has reported on this quite a bit. A 101FD calibrated (assuming ISF modes activated and calibrated) is an awesome set, and should be a truly stunning picture. When I move to my new house, my 500M will be in the bedroom, in a big room, size is king and 60+ is NICE.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page