Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Although nothing has been officially released this article http://about.skype.com/press/2010/01/panasonic.html

makes it sound like Skype is a VieraCast addition, not just a 2010 model addition. I would assume this would apply to all tvs that have vieracast available. Could be wrong here, but it seems doable with a firmware upgrade. The 2009 model have "future" slots in the vieracast menu as well. Interface looks exactly the same. This also makes sense because Panny would greatly benefit from all the $200 camera kits they'd sell.

Posted below:

Skype and Panasonic Announce Collaboration to Add Skype Software to Viera® HDTVs
Collaboration Takes VIERA CAST™-Enabled HDTV Connectivity to New Level, Offering Voice and Video Communications via HDTV
LAS VEGAS, 5 January 2010 – Panasonic Corporation, a worldwide leader in High Definition technology and built-in TV web entertainment, and Skype, a leader in internet communications, today announced a collaboration that will enable consumers to make voice and video calls over Skype™ on Panasonic's line of 2010 VIERA CAST-enabled HDTVs planned for launch in spring 2010.

This collaboration takes Skype to another platform, in addition to the computer and the mobile phone, which is the technology heart of the home, the television. Skype on your VIERA® delivers many familiar Skype features including:

Free Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls
Calls to landline or mobile phone at Skype’s low rates
The option to receive inbound calls via a user’s online Skype number
Skype voicemail, if you have it set up
Being invited to participate in voice conference calls with up to 24 other parties
“The addition of Skype to our VIERA CAST offerings truly takes HDTV connectivity to a whole new level,” said Bob Perry, Vice President, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “VIERA CAST was created to offer Panasonic VIERA® HDTV owners a new level of entertainment by giving them access to some of the most popular content-driven web sites. Panasonic VIERA HDTV owners can now not only share photos and videos online; with Skype they can also talk to family and friends from the comfort of their living room.”

“Skype has made video calling easy, free and accessible. Today, 34% of all Skype-to-Skype calls include video. In addition, the number one reason why Skype users enjoy video calling is because it makes them feel more connected to friends and family,” said Josh Silverman, CEO of Skype. “This is very exciting for us. TVs are a logical and natural platform for video communications. TVs will no longer be just the center of people’s entertainment experience, but have the potential to be the center of people’s communications experience.”

To conduct a Skype video call on a VIERA CAST HDTV, a specially-designed high-performance Panasonic camera, which is sold as a separate accessory, is simply plugged into the television. The camera includes a special microphone system that can easily pick up sound from couch-distance. Plus, it will deliver up to 720p high definition video quality depending on the consumer’s internet bandwidth.

Panasonic’s VIERA CAST feature has been widely acknowledged for its distinctive internet application, allowing the consumer to view targeted sites on a large HDTV, rather than a small computer screen. VIERA CAST requires no external box or PC. VIERA CAST is accessed via a single button on the television remote control and there is no fee to use the VIERA CAST functionality (some VIERA CAST services such as VOD have a separate fee structure).

Skype joins a growing list of web-based offerings on Panasonic’s VIERA CAST-enabled HDTVs including Amazon Video On Demand, YouTube™, Picasa Web Albums™, Bloomberg News and weather information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Does not look like they will be releasing a new one. Did not see one at the show. These new units are pretty sweet They are still about 3-4" think though.

-This 3D feature NEVER has to be used if one does not want to use it. However, put the glasses on, give this a chance, get used to it ( takes some getting used to) , and OH MY !!!! Amazing 3D that a person can almost touch!!

-Black levels are better than last year, can be seen with the eye. No, I have no idea if it is Kuro black. We will have to wait till June or later to find out..........

So you liked the look of Panasonic's 3D? Any flickering with the glasses? Isn't the image darkened by the glasses being shut half the time?
post #363 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

HI

Panasonic TC-P50VT25 support 2D? or just 3d technology.
post #364 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Boy View Post

HI

Considering there is practicably nothing in 3D, it would be ridicules for it not to have 2D support if not native. So yes. The answer is yes.
post #365 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Boy View Post

HI

It supports both.
post #366 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
gots to be warmer than Chicago, with no snow, or its a no go!
:-)
post #367 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantTouchThis View Post

So you liked the look of Panasonic's 3D? Any flickering with the glasses? Isn't the image darkened by the glasses being shut half the time?

I wonder if it automatically bumps up brightness when in "3D Mode".
post #368 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

Are you judging in a dark room? Because there is a whole heck of a lot of room between 12G Panasonic blacks and 9G Pioneer blacks.

Agreed, my 500M is WAY darker than a V10.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #369 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM

tnx for answer :

When will be released EU models? march

How much will cost (approximate) in EUR (€) 1500€ 2500€ ?
post #370 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoh00 View Post

I'm running into lots of your posts in the plasma forum lately. I'm going to go on a huge limb here and guess that you like your new 65v10.

i have the 58v10 and yes i do really like it. Especially at its price point.

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #371 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post

I wonder if it automatically bumps up brightness when in "3D Mode".

Either that or that's how you get deeper blacks: by wearing the 3D glasses!
post #372 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=tbird8450;17882356]Price vs performance is a personal matter. I am not speaking of MSRP when making my comparisons. I paid far less than half of $6500 for each of my Pioneers, anyway. KRP-500Ms were well under $2000 not long ago. 600Ms were around $3000. But price aside, the 9G Pioneers properly configured are much blacker visually than any 12G Panasonic that I have ever seen. Either our eyes aren't in agreement or your 141FD was not correctly set for optimum black level.

Well my whole argument was the price point.. if money was not a factor then I would still have my 141. Yes the blacks are visually darker. i never said they were not. To me eyes its not a huge difference, and that opinion is shared on almost every review I have seen of the v10 as well.. i can cite these quotes if you want.. and personally I think the shadow detail is better on my v10 and the 141 blacks were almost to dark on some scenes.. again thats what my eyes seen. the elite and sig series are better tvs but outside of the blacks, i do not see a huge difference..

post #373 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've read the reviews and have seen the displays myself many times. I think the difference is fairly significant. My friend thinks his G10's blacks are inky. I see gray when I look at them. What matters is that he (and you) are happy.

And gamma on the Panasonics is too low at the dark end. That's your additional detail. You could match that on any ISFccc'd Pioneer if you really wanted to.
post #374 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

I've read the reviews and have seen the displays myself many times. I think the difference is fairly significant. My friend thinks his G10's blacks are inky. I see gray when I look at them. What matters is that he (and you) are happy.

And gamma on the Panasonics is too low at the dark end. That's your additional detail. You could match that on any ISFccc'd Pioneer if you really wanted to.

ok whatever you say... sometimes those inky blacks crush shadow detail.. thats your additional information.

post #375 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

ok whatever you say... sometimes those inky blacks crush shadow detail.. thats your additional information.

No, with the Kuro you are seeing 99% of what you are supposed to see. With the V10 you are seeing more than what you are supposed to see because the gamma is too low at the dark end of the spectrum. If you want your kuro to do that, just bump up the brightness a notch but I rather see what you are supposed to see than have worse black levels and see more than I am supposed to.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #376 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canttouchthis View Post

either that or that's how you get deeper blacks: By wearing the 3d glasses! :d

rofl!!
post #377 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Crushing detail and skewing gamma to reveal extra detail are both sub-optimal.

Try bumping up your Brightness control while viewing a dark scene, and watch what happens. Your blacks will elevate and chances are you'll see more detail, more easily. There's a proper balance between crushing blacks and over-elevating your blacks. This balance occurs between 2.2 and 2.3 on a gamma chart, and in achieving it your dislpay will most accurately represent the source. 12G Panasonics come in at under 2.2 on the dark end.
post #378 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

No, with the Kuro you are seeing 99% of what you are supposed to see. With the G10 you are seeing more than what you are supposed to see because the gamma is too low at the dark end of the spectrum. If you want your kuro to do that, just bump up the brightness a notch but I rather see what you are supposed to see than have worse black levels and see more than I am supposed to.

i dont have a g10..

post #379 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantTouchThis View Post

Either that or that's how you get deeper blacks: by wearing the 3D glasses!

That's a great idea. I'm surprised the marketing gurus haven't decided to include a free blindfold with every new panel sale. Now that would be "infinite black" alright.
post #380 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 PM

More good info from someone who is at the show and knows his stuff-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/repor...l#post11237546
post #381 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

Agreed, my 500M is WAY darker than a V10.

WAY darker? Testers never said Pioneers blacks were THAT superior to other sets..and that was 2 or 3 years ago before Panasonic improved their black levels. I have no doubt the Kuro is STILL the one to beat, but the differences in black levels vs a V-10 are fairly small...not huge! Huge would mean the diffference between a Kuro and a typical LCD set from 3 years ago...now that would really be a HUGE difference..lol. I have a 58 inch Panny 60u bought in June 2007. It has been a great set, but I do have the upgrade bug. (maybe to a 65 inch when I go for it). I am glad I waited to see how these new sets work out. IF they consensus is that they beat the Kuro for overall PQ, I will probably buy one. If they don't I can wait another year or two until they do beat it. My current sets black levels are somewhat lacking, but it's really only noticeable in a very dark room. The V-10's I have seen are noticeably better than mine. Any further improvements would result in an awesome set indeed. Glad to see than Panny is moving forward with plasma....I still prefer it to all LCD's I have seen.
post #382 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

i dont have a g10..

typo

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #383 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All plasmas get IR... I have never owned a TV that just stopped completley getting it. The 141 seemed to me to last longer. Stop being a homer and saying my set was defective when you never seen it. It was not a deal breaker though as it could never be seen when watching full screen programming. Its just that before pioneer went out of business I was able to sell it to pay for my v10 and new receiver and speakers.. The 141 was a better TV but not for the price in my opinion. I have been lucky enough to be able to purchase new TV's when they come available. I still think based on overall PQ and price that my V10 was my best buy so far. I know the 141 blacks are amazing, but it should not costs thousands more when the v10 is not that far off. Now if the 141 was what I paid for my v10 then thats a whole different story. Now some people are getting great deals on Pio's and should def by them if they can find em.

My v10 only gets used for BD and video games so most issues that people have I do not see. There use of 96hz is very good. I just need D nice to come by to calibrate this thing for me to even more appreciate it.

go to the Pioneer forums on this site and ask those guys if they have seen any IR at all after 100hrs...most if not all will say they havent seen a hint of it since the first day. I have seen plenty of complaints from people with Pannys V10 and G10 about IR (bad IR) happeneing even after 200 hours of break in!!! IR that takes 15-20 minutes to get rid of. If i had any IR on my Pioneer (which was only the first week after that it was nonexistent) it would be their tops for 30 seconds at most. Pioneer IMO is a much better product, better quality, better PQ better everything. Im sure when Panny gets that new KURO tech in their TV's they will stop wondering why Pioneer made them so pricey. To bad Pioneer is out of business or else i wouldnt even bother looking at these tv's but since they are not this is my only choice cuz sammy suck. I have seen these TV's in comparisons with KUROS and they dont hold a candle to them, IDK about this years but Panny seems to have this green cast all the time over it no matter what you do,. Like i said i have been spoiled with teh Pioneer 111fd but got rid of it due to the buzzing noise was a little more than normal. So for me to look at these TVs as better or close to a KURO is hard for a previous owner to agree with.
post #384 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, with the Kuro you are seeing 99% of what you are supposed to see. With the V10 you are seeing more than what you are supposed to see because the gamma is too low at the dark end of the spectrum. If you want your kuro to do that, just bump up the brightness a notch but I rather see what you are supposed to see than have worse black levels and see more than I am supposed to.

Quote:

typo

the gamma on my v10 in THX mode is excellent. Please prove me wrong as I can show you reports to prove my first sentence.

post #385 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

go to the Pioneer forums on this site and ask those guys if they have seen any IR at all after 100hrs...most if not all will say they havent seen a hint of it since the first day. I have seen plenty of complaints from people with Pannys V10 and G10 about IR (bad IR) happeneing even after 200 hours of break in!!! IR that takes 15-20 minutes to get rid of. If i had any IR on my Pioneer (which was only the first week after that it was nonexistent) it would be their tops for 30 seconds at most. Pioneer IMO is a much better product, better quality, better PQ better everything. Im sure when Panny gets that new KURO tech in their TV's they will stop wondering why Pioneer made them so pricey. To bad Pioneer is out of business or else i wouldnt even bother looking at these tv's but since they are not this is my only choice cuz sammy suck. I have seen these TV's in comparisons with KUROS and they dont hold a candle to them, IDK about this years but Panny seems to have this green cast all the time over it no matter what you do,. Like i said i have been spoiled with teh Pioneer 111fd but got rid of it due to the buzzing noise was a little more than normal. So for me to look at these TVs as better or close to a KURO is hard for a previous owner to agree with.

you seem like your just angry.. read any report from a PROFESSIONAL and they will tell you the same thing i say. Yes the TV is better but not as much as you are saying. I have owned both. also sammys do not suck. They have a pretty good picture as I have owned a 860 as well. With comments like that just make me think your opinion is that of a complete fanboy..

post #386 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ster View Post

Has anyone information about the Panasonic Z Series in 2010, will we see a 2010 Z -Series later on this year?

Yeah, but they changed the name to the Panasonic Zuro.
post #387 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
OK, the SEARCH function isn't helping me here...
Anyone know the release dates of the V series?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #388 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I dont know if this has been discussed already but have you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fd0yFujykM

Panasonic KURO?

In this video he ask if thats a KURO on display. its at 3:39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6p0BFlUVs

Im extremely happy the KURO tech is alive and well!!!

home theater addict
post #389 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Yeah those videos were posted earlier. Thanks though.
post #390 of 5848 Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I dont know if this has been discussed already but have you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fd0yFujykM

Panasonic KURO?

In this video he ask if thats a KURO on display. its at 3:39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6p0BFlUVs

Im extremely happy the KURO tech is alive and well!!!

Thats great.

Juan

My HT
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page