AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd53 View Post

Anybody know how to get into the service mode on the Vt's

If you have to ask, you're probably better off not going in there (a great way to ruin your display).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5848 Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

If you have to ask, you're probably better off not going in there (a great way to ruin your display).

I just want to know how many hours I have on my set, do you know where to find that?

JD
post #5823 of 5848 Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM

jnd53:

I knew I saw this somewhere. Try this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2278
post #5824 of 5848 Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 AM

The 3D Y/C filter is always greyed out, is there a way to turn it on?

Jerry
post #5825 of 5848 Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

The 3D Y/C filter is always greyed out, is there a way to turn it on?

Jerry

Feed it some composite SD video... the setting only applies to separating chroma information from luminance in a composite video input.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #5826 of 5848 Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Feed it some composite SD video... the setting only applies to separating chroma information from luminance in a composite video input.

Thanks how do you guy's know all this stuff.....
post #5827 of 5848 Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks how do you guy's know all this stuff.....

Relative to that particular question... I built my first TV studio in 1977, so that is just one of those second nature/common knowledge things to me. However, despite being an "old dog", I have learned quite a few new tricks here as well. That's what makes this forum great... the huge collective knowledge and willingness to share it.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #5828 of 5848 Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesypoof20 View Post

I like to listen to the music channels(also pandora) on my g25. Is there any way to turn off the video, so I can just have the TV playing the music? Essentially, audio only mode.

Anyone, please? Not too technical here and was wondering how one could listen to some of the digital music channels that Comcast has available without having the screen on continuously. Has anyone done this? If it matters, my Comcast box is a Motorola DCT-5100 on the 42" G-10, and also have a Pace RNG box on the downstairs 50" G-20...

T.I.A. ....

EDIT >>> Lol, I think I just found my answer but I won't know for sure until I pick up an optical cable and try it. Looks like I can get digital audio out from the Moto box and run it to my Panasonic home theater. If that works then I won't have to turn the tv on to listen to music channels. I guess I'll know if there is indeed a digital audio signal coming out of the Moto box when I buy a cable.

Hope it works, lol... Never knew that it had an optical audio out..... learn something new every day..
post #5829 of 5848 Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post

Anyone, please? Not too technical here and was wondering how one could listen to some of the digital music channels that Comcast has available without having the screen on continuously. Has anyone done this? If it matters, my Comcast box is a Motorola DCT-5100 on the 42" G-10, and also have a Pace RNG box on the downstairs 50" G-20...

T.I.A. ....

EDIT >>> Lol, I think I just found my answer but I won't know for sure until I pick up an optical cable and try it. Looks like I can get digital audio out from the Moto box and run it to my Panasonic home theater. If that works then I won't have to turn the tv on to listen to music channels. I guess I'll know if there is indeed a digital audio signal coming out of the Moto box when I buy a cable.

Hope it works, lol... Never knew that it had an optical audio out..... learn something new every day..

Having the Onkyo 805 below works for me. If your reciever has similiar functionality this may help you also.

"The best way to override this when you want to play CDs is to simply press the HDMI OUT button on the 805's front panel beneath the cover. That way you won't have to concern yourself with the status of the TV. (Just remember to press the HDMI OUT button again after your finished playing music and wish to watch BD again.)"

This toggles monitor on and monitor off. Off allows the music to play with the TV off!

Tom
post #5830 of 5848 Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Regarding the 2010 Panasonics, I'm in the market, and if I'm going to be watching 95% sports on cable TV, does it make more sense to be looking at a 58 S2 rather than say a 54 G25 and 58 V10, especially when I'll be watching very little blue ray? I can afford the latter two TV's, but the more money I can save the better.
post #5831 of 5848 Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovylou8 View Post

...especially when I'll be watching very little blue ray?....

I would ask why? Do you have another location where you watch films, or have you tried them at all? I would suggest that a good player hooked to any of these panels is a wonderful experience. I'd suggest you look at the added features of the different models, and then determine what they may mean to future proof yourself.
post #5832 of 5848 Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM

quick questions - does the P42U2 have an anti-reflective/glare filter?
and are there any major flaws with this model in comparison to others in the 2010 lineup?
post #5833 of 5848 Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I would ask why? Do you have another location where you watch films, or have you tried them at all? I would suggest that a good player hooked to any of these panels is a wonderful experience. I'd suggest you look at the added features of the different models, and then determine what they may mean to future proof yourself.

Mainly because I simply don't watch many movies (or any movies really). I don't watch a ton of TV, but when I do, it's usually sports or re-runs. That's why I am questioning the worth of getting a higher-end TV.
post #5834 of 5848 Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovylou8 View Post

Mainly because I simply don't watch many movies (or any movies really). I don't watch a ton of TV, but when I do, it's usually sports or re-runs. That's why I am questioning the worth of getting a higher-end TV.

So it may come down to whether you need the features like the improved anti-glare filter of the G series.

I bought the S2 for the bedroom where tv is only watched at night, bought the G25 for the well lit living room.
post #5835 of 5848 Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpross View Post

Having the Onkyo 805 below works for me. If your reciever has similiar functionality this may help you also.

"The best way to override this when you want to play CDs is to simply press the HDMI OUT button on the 805's front panel beneath the cover. That way you won't have to concern yourself with the status of the TV. (Just remember to press the HDMI OUT button again after your finished playing music and wish to watch BD again.)"

This toggles monitor on and monitor off. Off allows the music to play with the TV off!

Thanks very much Tom for this info; I will experiment with settings this afternoon. Thanks again!
post #5836 of 5848 Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post

T.I.A. ....

It all depends on how you setup your system. I am routing my hdmi from the directv hd dvr directly to the Denon receiver. thus I don't need to turn the TV on to hear the music. I just use my remote to tune the channel I want and make sure that I have the Denon set to the sat box. Then it works perfectly. It sound like you will kind of get the same thing via the fiber optic cable running from your cable box to your receiver. Some units will only allow one output so it is either the hdmi or the optical, but it sounds like in your case that won't be an issue. The music you get from cable and sat is two channel so you can use your receiver to create a matrix if you wish or just leave it at two channels.

I listen a lot to Pandora which is part of the vericast program. I had to route a optical from the Panasonic TV to the receiver and setup a input just for Pandora. This way I get great two channel info and then use my system to create all stereo or some other matrix. Unfortunately, I have to keep the TV on at all times otherwise Pandora will not work. I don't want to wear out my TV listening to music all day. Maybe I will play with changing the inputs.
Manny
post #5837 of 5848 Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM

Well OK, I just got a P42G25 and have an Oppo 83 BluRay (both still in the box until I get a suitable piece of furniture - hopefully later this week). So a question for the group, I was looking through both manuals and neither was particularly forthcoming with the information I was looking for. My question:

Will Vieracast support programming downloads from Netflix, Amazon etc.? The manual sort of hints that it does, but it doesn't come right out and say you can view this internet content. Same thing on the Oppo, if anyone has an answer (or I'll go over to the Oppo group). Both have ethernet ports which I assume can be used for internet access.

BTW I'm on Comcast cable but don't have my HD box yet - I don't even have a DTA, just basic cable and my 13 in analog TV. What a luddite!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
post #5838 of 5848 Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Another Question: Is there any menu option that allows you to see the true data rate and allocations to the various PIDs for OTA?

Got it hooked up to cable last night and PQ is great so far (even if only 1080i). Can't wait to see what BluRay and 1080p looks like
post #5839 of 5848 Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 AM

hi guys, apologies if this isnt the right place to ask.. has there been any fix for floating blacks on the 2010 models.. whats the best way to minimise it?
post #5840 of 5848 Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

They already have the dirty screen effect on the 2009 models, had 2 54G10s with MAJOR streaks and a 54V10 with very minor streaks.

so dirty screen effect is happening on the v series? Does panasonic fix this issue?
post #5841 of 5848 Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 AM

I just installed my Panny P42G25 and Oppo83 BluRay player last weekend and finally got around to watching the first BluRay disk. It was the Hurt Locker rented from BBuster. I was a little disappointed in the PQ (it might be the source). It was good, but just did not seem as clear as I would have hoped. Even 1080i programming on the cable can look better. It seemed a little "grainy" and not sharp and crisp. I watch primarily in THX mode and of course use the HDMI connection.

So a couple of questions:

1. I have a calibration disk (Spears and Munsil, HD Benchmark Blu-Ray Edition) that came with the Oppo, but am not sure how to really use it and get in to the TV to make any mods - If anyone has suggestions on using the disk, and adjusting the TV I'm all ears. Even if it is to recommend getting a pro in to calibate the TV. Are there any settings on the player I might want to adjust?

2. Are there any recommended Blu-Ray disks with full 1080p that can desmonstrate that capability? I'm into nature series, but good graphics and/or Sci/Fi (Avatar perhaps?) works as well.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and thoughts.
post #5842 of 5848 Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM

I still have a 2007 50PZ70E model. When measuring the blackest output possible with this TV, I only get 0,09 ftL (measured using HCFR + eyeone display 2). In a darkened HT room, the remaining light on IRE0 is annoying. In my previous home where the 50PZ70E was in my living room with some ambient light, this was barely noticable.

How do the 2010 models compare ? For me this is the main reason to upgrade: get blacker blacks. Would you put a plasma in a completely darkened HT room ?

Frederic Vanden Poel
post #5843 of 5848 Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

I just installed my Panny P42G25 and Oppo83 BluRay player last weekend and finally got around to watching the first BluRay disk. It was the Hurt Locker rented from BBuster. I was a little disappointed in the PQ (it might be the source). It was good, but just did not seem as clear as I would have hoped. Even 1080i programming on the cable can look better. It seemed a little "grainy" and not sharp and crisp. I watch primarily in THX mode and of course use the HDMI connection.

So a couple of questions:

1. I have a calibration disk (Spears and Munsil, HD Benchmark Blu-Ray Edition) that came with the Oppo, but am not sure how to really use it and get in to the TV to make any mods - If anyone has suggestions on using the disk, and adjusting the TV I'm all ears. Even if it is to recommend getting a pro in to calibate the TV. Are there any settings on the player I might want to adjust?

2. Are there any recommended Blu-Ray disks with full 1080p that can desmonstrate that capability? I'm into nature series, but good graphics and/or Sci/Fi (Avatar perhaps?) works as well.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and thoughts.

it was how the movie was shot...
post #5844 of 5848 Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_saunders View Post

it was how the movie was shot...

Hi Chris,
Thanks. Your comment agreed with others. It was recommended that I get Avatar or a pixar film.

Still, I'd like to learn more about the details and finer points of calibration at some point and how its done with this model, the P42G25 (e.g. access to the service menu, what things should be adjusted, what things should be left alone, etc.).
post #5845 of 5848 Old 08-22-2010, 04:48 PM

floating black level is still there...the only solution i've heard from some people is to turn up the brightness to make it less obvious
post #5846 of 5848 Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone. Has the issue with the black levels on these TVs been resolved on units shipping today? Some folks I know have just taken advantage of the EPP deals and picked up the 42 and 50 inch S2 models.

Also, did Panasonic ever release a firmware update to fix displays already out in the field?
post #5847 of 5848 Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seang86s View Post

Hi everyone. Has the issue with the black levels on these TVs been resolved on units shipping today? Some folks I know have just taken advantage of the EPP deals and picked up the 42 and 50 inch S2 models.

Also, did Panasonic ever release a firmware update to fix displays already out in the field?

I have a C2 and have fixed the black levels and am helping others to do so with my thread. Unfortunately the issue is with the power management system.

As it is has a dual mode power saving feature. Basically it makes the TV into a full time Dynamic Contrast tv.

No there is no firmware update to fix it as it is a normal function.

I disabled mine by making the internal setting for maxium contrast below normal value.

I am waiting on the forum mod to unlock my thread so my new topic heading will have a better representation of my thread.

Everyone thought it was a CATS issue at first and I proved it is the normal function of the tv.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #5848 of 5848 Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page