Panasonic 2010 Plasma Models - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_87 View Post

You're thinking about the old models. The new V and G series this year use the Z1 AR filter. It will still wash out with enough light (like all plasmas), but it's on par with what Pioneer and Samsung have.

I hope so, because the 2009 AR filer was a massive step back over my 2007 42px75 when it came to daytime washout and reflections. (and it took 3 units to get a AR filter that was uniform, the two G10 units had worse than Kuro DSE, the V10 has only VERY minor streaks)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Member
 
M5ster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like Plasma has clear technological advantages with 3D!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...y-or-not.ars/1


"Plasma: the runner-up (behind AMOLED)

Panasonic's 3D plasma displays were the first ones I looked at, and I liked the effect well enough to where I could see using it for some movies. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why this was the case. It could be that the LED LCDs had more ghosting between frames than the plasmathis kind of cross-frame motion artifact would definitely damage the 3D effect if they haven't stamped it out of the new LCD panels, and plasma historically handles motion better than LCD.

Another option is that both AMOLED and plasma have superior color reproduction and contrast to LCD, and that one or both of these is somehow a factor in making the 3D effect convincing.
LED LCD: your mileage may vary

LED LCD is what every vendor but Panasonic is going to market with this year, and my subjective impression of the CES floor displays was that the results were extremely mixed. The best LED LCD units that I saw were watchable, but the effect didn't blow me away by any means. I recently saw Avatar in (non-IMAX) 3D, and the effect of the best LCDs was comparable to that. The worst LED LCDs were just terrible, and not anything that I'd want to watch. For at least one of the really bad ones (at the Samsung booth), others who tried it had a similar negative reaction.

There could be any number of reasons why the 3D experience was so varied among LED LCDs, but it seems clear that there will be important quality differences between the panels. Buyers who take the 3D plunge will definitely want to shop around."
M5ster is offline  
post #633 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Member
 
dbrunodna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein78 View Post

So they are doing the side by side comparison with the new VT25 to the 2009 G series? I wonder why they didn't use the current V10 series?

Because the difference probably would not be as dramatic. Not really a fair comparison IMO.
dbrunodna is offline  
post #634 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
curly21029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein78 View Post

So they are doing the side by side comparison with the new VT25 to the 2009 G series? I wonder why they didn't use the current V10 series?

Actually, those both appear to be G-series sets.
curly21029 is offline  
post #635 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Member
 
The.Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

I'm sorry but I feel someone has to acknowledge the hilarity of this post.

I laughed out loud.

Darren

LOL! Indeed!

Loving the Blu-Revolution
The.Highlander is offline  
post #636 of 5848 Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Member
 
M5ster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
M5ster is offline  
post #637 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure how plasma tech works... but wouldn't the new faster phosphor timing make it even more immune to IR??
Goatse is online now  
post #638 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Member
 
horsetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you guys had a chance of delving deeper on Samsung´s 2010 8000 series plasmas? From what I gather out of their usual Korean hush-hushness about their new tech (why do Koreans always stop short of telling you all the tech details of their products, be them cars, cell phones, cameras, TVs or what have you? Are they afraid to disclose that they are actually copy-cating Japanese tech, legally or otherwise?), they seem to have given this line similar improvements to those on the VT25, i.e. new AR filter, cells with wider openings, minimized pre-charge emissions, new phosphors, etc. Have they also licensed Pioneer's patents or are they reverse-engineering 9g Kuro tech for 2010 and thus avoiding paying Panny for the new tech? Compared to all the shouting going on at Panny´s camp, Samsung is eerily quiet about their 2010 plasma line-up, but so were they in 2009 and somehow they managed to sneak up and place themselves just behind the V10 with their 650/850/860 series. Is it going to be more of the same this year or will they finally manage to outsmart their competition from across the pond, while charging less for a similar sized TV? For what is worth, their bezel design for 2010 tops Panny´s by leaps and bounds.
horsetail is offline  
post #639 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
who buys a plasma tv because of the bezel design?????
wase4711 is offline  
post #640 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

who buys a plasma tv because of the bezel design?????

Married men.
D-Nice is offline  
post #641 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
tlh1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetail View Post

Have they also licensed Pioneer's patents or are they reverse-engineering 9g Kuro tech for 2010 and thus avoiding paying Panny for the new tech? Compared to all the shouting going on at Panny´s camp, Samsung is eerily quiet about their 2010 plasma line-up, but so were they in 2009 and somehow they managed to sneak up and place themselves just behind the V10 with their 650/850/860 series. Is it going to be more of the same this year or will they finally manage to outsmart their competition from across the pond, while charging less for a similar sized TV? For what is worth, their bezel design for 2010 tops Panny´s by leaps and bounds.

I doubt any reverse engineering is occuring, there are usually manufacturing hurdles to overcome in addition to technology hurdles. Besides, they wouldn't risk the penalty. The noise about Samsung being right behind the V series is subjective, but regardless, the Panasonic camp is shouting because they think they have something to shout about. So far, first impressions seem to substantiate that. Samsung is quiet because they don't have anything to be excited about and they know it will show. Besides, they are putting all of their focus on LCD, so if they're going to shout about anything it will be that crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

who buys a plasma tv because of the bezel design?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Married men.

Haha, I feel sorry for those guys.
PS. I'm married and thankfully my wife doesn't have me falling into this category.
tlh1005 is offline  
post #642 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd want something attractive also... as a single guy, I'd like to have something nice looking when I bring the girls to the yard. Pannys look too much like an appliance, I'd want something more modern looking.
Goatse is online now  
post #643 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I'd want something attractive also... as a single guy, I'd like to have something nice looking when I bring the girls to the yard. Pannys look too much like an appliance, I'd want something more modern looking.

Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Consumer Panasonics are very bland in the asthetics department. They need a better design team. Did you see the Samsung 9000 series? Now that is a nice looking display!
D-Nice is offline  
post #644 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Member
 
Rollingrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

who buys a plasma tv because of the bezel design?????

It just happens tha my favorite bezel is also on my favorite TV...the 141. It's a win, win. I am not married but the bezel does come into play for me. I spend good money having my place look nice with art and furniture that I don't want something that is about 65 inches in diagonol(with bezel) that is just UGLY. It is like a large piece of furniture...Do you want to buy really fugly furniture?
Rollingrox is offline  
post #645 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Did you see the Samsung 9000 series? Now that is a nice looking display!

Isn't that the LED LCD that is so thin that just breathing on it will snap it in two?

(I kid of course, but it does seem way too thin for it to be strong and stable...)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
PENDRAG0ON is offline  
post #646 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm just hoping the V25's bezel is less reflective than the standard glossy black.
hhaller is online now  
post #647 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

I'm just hoping the V25's bezel is less reflective than the standard glossy black.

It does appear glossy. Not a big issue.

Goatse is online now  
post #648 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Isn't that the LED LCD that is so thin that just breathing on it will snap it in two?

(I kid of course, but it does seem way too thin for it to be strong and stable...)

Its an aluminum bezel.
D-Nice is offline  
post #649 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Its an aluminum bezel.

Panny should out do sammy, I'd kill for a carbonfiber bezel.
Goatse is online now  
post #650 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I guess I am too old to understand this, but, if you guys think that the bezel on your tv will get you laid more often, then be prepared to stay single for a long long time...

No offense, but, if the bezel on the tv "detracts" from your home design, then you probably really aren't a video enthusiast.
Maybe the day will come where you can order your bezel custom to match your furniture, but I can't imagine that ever happening; dont we pick our audio video gear based on performance more than aesthetics?
wase4711 is offline  
post #651 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
scorpio_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there some technical reason why Panny aesthetics are the way they are? Someone postulated that it might have something to do with their speaker design. I just find it hard to believe anyone in his senses can find these sets to be good looking.

It's not like it's hard to make the kind of design most of us are asking for. A simple glossy, minimal frame like Pioneer used happens to look fantastic. Why can't they just copy that and put their Panasonic logo on the bottom? Or heck, Panasonic's own Z1 from last year is a great looking display. Why not use that design, albeit not as thin?
scorpio_87 is offline  
post #652 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I guess I am too old to understand this, but, if you guys think that the bezel on your tv will get you laid more often, then be prepared to stay single for a long long time...

No offense, but, if the bezel on the tv "detracts" from your home design, then you probably really aren't a video enthusiast.
Maybe the day will come where you can order your bezel custom to match your furniture, but I can't imagine that ever happening; dont we pick our audio video gear based on performance more than aesthetics?

You can be a videophile and care about how your equipment looks at the same time. No one said that asthetics come first. However, there is no excuse for the bland look of the consumer Panasonics.... none.

I guess you don't care about the apperance of the items you purchase. To each his own.
D-Nice is offline  
post #653 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I guess I am too old to understand this, but, if you guys think that the bezel on your tv will get you laid more often, then be prepared to stay single for a long long time...

No offense, but, if the bezel on the tv "detracts" from your home design, then you probably really aren't a video enthusiast.
Maybe the day will come where you can order your bezel custom to match your furniture, but I can't imagine that ever happening; dont we pick our audio video gear based on performance more than aesthetics?


I like nice looking things and get laid plenty enough. Hence I drive a M3 not a Camry. There is nothing wrong with wanting something visually attractive. Why houses with granite counter tops and stainless appliances fetch higher than ones with out.
Goatse is online now  
post #654 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
well, those 2- 65 inch pieces of glass that make up the screen are really heavy, and need to be held securely, so that probably has something to do with it.
wase4711 is offline  
post #655 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

You can be a videophile and care about how your equipment looks at the same time. No one said that asthetics come first. However, there is no excuse for the bland look of the consumer Panasonics.... none.

I guess you don't care about the apperance of the items you purchase. To each his own.

you couldnt be more incorrect, dude..

Looks have alot to do with what I select for my house, but, I am not sure what is so horrible about a shiny black bezel on these tv's..
They match most modern HT stands, racks, and components, so I don't know what kind of gear YOU have in your house that doesn't match a gloss black tv..
wase4711 is offline  
post #656 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

well, those 2- 65 inch pieces of glass that make up the screen are really heavy, and need to be held securely, so that probably has something to do with it.

that has nothing to do with a bezel design.
Goatse is online now  
post #657 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I like nice looking things and get laid plenty enough. Hence I drive a M3 not a Camry. There is nothing wrong with wanting something visually attractive. Why houses with granite counter tops and stainless appliances fetch higher than ones with out.

and I have a c300 benz and an x5 Bimmer, and granite counter tops and all Stainless appliances in my house too, and still think this tv matches up well to my glass/black stand/rack and gear in the house..
wase4711 is offline  
post #658 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Anyone else quietly drooling about getting one of the 65" sets with deep blacks?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #659 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

and I have a c300 benz and an x5 Bimmer, and granite counter tops and all Stainless appliances in my house too, and still think this tv matches up well to my glass/black stand/rack and gear in the house..

Thats great, your opinion. I have my opinion, I think this tv looks like a white fridge. No need for personal attacks.
Goatse is online now  
post #660 of 5848 Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Looks have alot to do with what I select for my house, but, I am not sure what is so horrible about a shiny black bezel on these tv's..

The consumer Panasonics are a f'ugly, dated, glossy black bezel design. That is the problem.


Quote:


They match most modern HT stands, racks, and components, so I don't know what kind of gear YOU have in your house that doesn't match a gloss black tv..

You are only speaking of the actual color of the beZel and not the design. Samsung has glossy black bezels, yet look better than the consumer Panasonics.
D-Nice is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off