Will Amazon bring my tv into my apartment and set it on my tv stand for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to order the TC-P42S1 42 inch 1080p hd panasonic plasma from amazon.

I am not ordering it "THROUGH amazon FROM a different vendor", no, this is actually from amazon itself. Amazon is the actual seller of this particular tv. So yes, it it really is amazon in this case that I am buying it from/who is shipping it to me.


Anyway, here's my question:

I have a couple of hernias, and my doctor told me not to lift anything of any signficant weight until I have my hernias repaired.

So while it would normally not make much of a difference to most people whether they merely drop the tv off in its big cardboard box at your doorstep, or whether they actually bring it into your apartment (which in my case is a 2nd story apartment at the top of an outdoor staircase), and unbox it and put the tv on your tv stand for you, it is actually pretty important to me.

I called their 1-800 number and the guy who I was on the phone with, who had a very thick accent which was difficult for me to understand I THINK told me that they would indeed put the tv on my tv stand for me, and that it would not cost extra because this is just what they normally do anyway.

Is this true?

I am sure MANY of you have ordered large tvs from amazon before, so I would like to know.

Thanks!
The Atheist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daniel'son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gulf Coast U.S.A
Posts: 2,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
.. yes, i believe their "White Glove" service provides that; will have to check though.


*Update:

do not see the 'white glove' service any longer, but it seems they have agreements with delivery services, Ceva or Pilot
to bring set in and setup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=510066
daniel'son is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Member
 
Bonesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. yes, i believe their "White Glove" service provides that; will have to check though.


*Update:

do not see the 'white glove' service any longer, but it seems they have agreements with delivery services, Ceva or Pilot
to bring set in and setup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=510066

For me, they brought the TV into the house, unboxed it, helped me check for physical damage. Plugged it in and turned it on, making sure it worked. They would NOT however put it on the stand and set it on my TV stand. But that's a piece of cake anyway.
Bonesdad is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some shipping companies will do it but most wont. The best way is to talk to the driver when he or they come and be sure to tip if they do it since its not usually required. But then again no offense but I would not want them putting together my stand.
ROMAN O is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ALREADY have a tv stand (fully assembled already sitting there in my living room).

I just want to somehow get them to physically just plain put the tv onto my tv stand.

As in like grab the tv set. Lift it up 2 and a half feet into the air, and plop it down on my tv stand. That's it. That's all I need them to do. I will hook up all the wires and all that stuff no problem, the only thing I cannot do is the lifting the tv into the air to put it onto the stand.

This is because I, on doctor's orders, I am not able to lift a tv stand up into the air and put it on the tv stand by myself. The doctor said it might make my hernias worse if I do any havy lifting before I get them fixed.
The Atheist is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It doesn't matter what you buy anyways, it only matters what the driver that shows up at your home is willing to do.

When I got the Amazon "white glove" and even something similar from Crutchfield, the delivery company wasn't willing to do anything more than cart it to the front porch on a dolly. Heck one place wasn't even willing to do that much. It was pretty much "take what I'm offering or leave it on my truck, doesn't matter to me."
brentsg is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

It doesn't matter what you buy anyways, it only matters what the driver that shows up at your home is willing to do.
."

Unfortunately true unless you have a vendor that will talk to the driver.
ROMAN O is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Unfortunately true unless you have a vendor that will talk to the driver.

Even that doesn't help if they send a 65 year old dude, by himself.

It was kinda neat though. I had to return one of the TVs and they again, sent the same guy by himself .. for the pickup. This is even after I complained about him being alone for the delivery and I specifically told them to make sure he had help.

It was on the 2nd floor of my house and he wanted me to help him get it down the stairs and outside. "Well you can get some help or you can leave it here, doesn't matter to me." He sat on my front porch until the shipping company was able to dispatch someone there to help him.

Crutchfield did give me a $50 gift card for the trouble.
brentsg is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
DennyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

I am about to order the TC-P42S1 42 inch 1080p hd panasonic plasma from amazon.

I am not ordering it "THROUGH amazon FROM a different vendor", no, this is actually from amazon itself. Amazon is the actual seller of this particular tv. So yes, it it really is amazon in this case that I am buying it from/who is shipping it to me.


Anyway, here's my question:

I have a couple of hernias, and my doctor told me not to lift anything of any signficant weight until I have my hernias repaired.

So while it would normally not make much of a difference to most people whether they merely drop the tv off in its big cardboard box at your doorstep, or whether they actually bring it into your apartment (which in my case is a 2nd story apartment at the top of an outdoor staircase), and unbox it and put the tv on your tv stand for you, it is actually pretty important to me.

I called their 1-800 number and the guy who I was on the phone with, who had a very thick accent which was difficult for me to understand I THINK told me that they would indeed put the tv on my tv stand for me, and that it would not cost extra because this is just what they normally do anyway.

Is this true?

I am sure MANY of you have ordered large tvs from amazon before, so I would like to know.

Thanks!

I just received my PN58b860 from Amazon. They brought it in, opened it, plugged it in to make sure we got blue screen and would have set it on the stand had I wanted that. All in all, a fantastic experience. YMMV

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
DennyH is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

.......So while it would normally not make much of a difference to most people whether they merely drop the tv off in its big cardboard box at your doorstep, or whether they actually bring it into your apartment (which in my case is a 2nd story apartment at the top of an outdoor staircase), and unbox it and put the tv on your tv stand for you, it is actually pretty important to me.

Amazon used offer "White Glove" delivery where the delivery guys will assemble and install the pedestal base and lift the TV onto your stand, but now they only offer "Enhanced Delivery" but they do not install the stand or lift it onto your table. Here's a copy/paste of it:

TVs 40 inches or larger also qualify for Enhanced Delivery. With Enhanced Delivery, a representative of the common carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000347231

Now that said, different people here have had different experiences with Amazon's "Enhanced Delivery" - in my case they used CEVA and two guys carried my G10 upstairs, unpacked it and i expected them to just lean it against my couch and plug it in to ensure it works, but without me even asking one of em whipped out a rechargeable screwdriver and assembled the stand and installed it on the TV while the other guy started gathering up all the packing materials and throwing it into the box. I was surprised but since they were being so nice i asked the clearup guy if he'd help me lift the old Plasma down to the floor and he cheerfully did so. Then they both lifted the new TV and placed it on the table and plugged it in, brought up some menus to make sure i got a picture, then had me inspect the unit for damage and sign the checklist. I gave them a few bottles of cold water as they were leaving.

I would not count on them doing this for you - most other people here have not gotten this extra level of service and it was more like their printed procedure above. Sometimes if you offer them a $10 tip each and quickly assemble the stand yourself while they're still unpacking the TV, they'll help you lift the TV onto the stand then up and onto the table.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesdad View Post

For me, they brought the TV into the house, unboxed it, helped me check for physical damage. Plugged it in and turned it on, making sure it worked. They would NOT however put it on the stand and set it on my TV stand. But that's a piece of cake anyway.

That's exactly what I experienced. I did have to wait for one of my kids to come over to put the set on the stand as it takes two people.
MikeBiker is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I neglected to mention the coolest thing I've seen in plasma delivery. I saw one delivery guy unbox a 50" .. either Samsung 5054 or Pio 5080 (I forget).

He got all the wrapping off the TV, knelt down in front of it and placed one hand far left about halfway up... the other hand far right halfway up. Picked up the damn thing, and carried it upstairs where it was placed on a stand.

Amazing, I tell you..
brentsg is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Member
 
ciucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a TV last month from Amazon. Their service with CEVA is white glove. They will unbox, put it on a stand, hook it to your cable box, turn it on and make sure it works before leaving.

Anybody else saying anything different may have ulterior motives. Its a tough business. it is hard to beat free white glove delivery and no sales tax.
ciucca is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Member
 
Bonesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Amazon used offer "White Glove" delivery where the delivery guys will assemble and install the pedestal base and lift the TV onto your stand, but now they only offer "Enhanced Delivery" but they do not install the stand or lift it onto your table. Here's a copy/paste of it:

TVs 40 inches or larger also qualify for Enhanced Delivery. With Enhanced Delivery, a representative of the common carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000347231

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say in my (inexact) post. Get some buddies over to help you set the TV on the stand, crack a couple of beers and watch a game.
Bonesdad is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
TopShelf17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like your only hope is to pray for an understanding delivery guy atheist.
TopShelf17 is online now  
post #16 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Member
 
donkeypunch42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Have the stand ready to go in the spot that you want it and have a clear path to it. (also make sure there' an accessible power outlet by it.

2. If it snows in your area, shovel the walk and clear the way (make it easy for them)

3. When you answer the door, smile and greet them, don't act like their your servants. Respect your delivery guys and I've found they will do the same.

4. When they ask where you want it (which they'll do before they get to your door with it in most cases), walk them through your already cleared path and tell them you'd really like if they could set it right on your stand that's ready to go and not covered in crap or disassembled. 99% of the time they will oblige.

5. In the rare 1% that they tell you they need to leave it at the entry, pull $10 out of your pocket and ask them if they could help you get it on the stand. (my buddies out of town and I really don't want to drop it)

6. If you follow above and they won't set it on the stand, you'd be the ONE exception that I'm aware of.

Most people that have difficulty are arrogant or disorganized with crap everywhere and they can't spend all afternoon at your place. Personally, I give them $10 or $20 regardless but that's your call.

Enjoy the new set.
donkeypunch42 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had an issue with a tv delivery where the trucking company called me and told me my tv was at their warehouse and that the shipper only paid to have it sent that far. I needed to come and get it.

The item was to be delivered to me house.

I told the delivery company that I needed to find a vehicle to transport the set and hung up. Immediately called the company I bought it from and raised heck.

After getting off the phone with the vendor, I waited all of about 5 minutes to get another call from the shipper asking me if it was ok for them to deliver the set now.

They were there in no time, brought the set in, unboxed it, and tested it to make sure it worked. No discussion about the 1st call and, needless to say, no tip.

If a shipper is lazy, or gives you any problem, immidately call Amazon and discuss while the driver is there. My experience says it will be resolved quickly, and the way you want it.
aydu is online now  
post #18 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exactly my point always get the vendor involved if there is a problem no matter who the vendor is.
ROMAN O is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PrimeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lower California
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeypunch42 View Post

1. Have the stand ready to go in the spot that you want it and have a clear path to it. (also make sure there' an accessible power outlet by it.

2. If it snows in your area, shovel the walk and clear the way (make it easy for them)

3. When you answer the door, smile and greet them, don't act like their your servants. Respect your delivery guys and I've found they will do the same.

4. When they ask where you want it (which they'll do before they get to your door with it in most cases), walk them through your already cleared path and tell them you'd really like if they could set it right on your stand that's ready to go and not covered in crap or disassembled. 99% of the time they will oblige.

5. In the rare 1% that they tell you they need to leave it at the entry, pull $10 out of your pocket and ask them if they could help you get it on the stand. (my buddies out of town and I really don't want to drop it)

6. If you follow above and they won't set it on the stand, you'd be the ONE exception that I'm aware of.

Most people that have difficulty are arrogant or disorganized with crap everywhere and they can't spend all afternoon at your place. Personally, I give them $10 or $20 regardless but that's your call.

Enjoy the new set.

I guess it speaks to the times we live in that someone has to spell out what used to pass for common sense when dealing with tradesmen.

Especially Number 3 above.
PrimeTime is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Esco5710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Unfortunately true unless you have a vendor that will talk to the driver.

AGree.. I bought mine from Sears and not sure what others experience was with their delivery service but they were so against putting the tv on stand for me.. I'm on crutches myself right now so I couldn't do it myself. And I specifically asked at the store if they will set it up for me.. They told me to wait an hr before pluggin it in too bc it was cold that day in Jerz. They even called up the main office for them to tell me they normally don't put it together bc of insurance purposes.. Some BS if you ask me. Anyway, they either felt bad for me or decided to help out a fellow spic and put it on the stand.

Sadly, all depends on the person and their mood that day.
Esco5710 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post

Anybody else saying anything different may have ulterior motives. Its a tough business. it is hard to beat free white glove delivery and no sales tax.

Anyone saying anything different may simply have had a different experience than you did.
brentsg is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

I guess it speaks to the times we live in that someone has to spell out what used to pass for common sense when dealing with tradesmen.

Especially Number 3 above.

Actually I'm not sure why it's assumed by the folks that DID get what they paid for, that the ones that didn't somehow had it coming.

If the shipping company doesn't even equip the driver with the ability to deliver what was purchased, then it's got nothing to do with etiquette at the door.
brentsg is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 View Post

AGree.. I bought mine from Sears and not sure what others experience was with their delivery service but they were so against putting the tv on stand for me.. I'm on crutches myself right now so I couldn't do it myself. And I specifically asked at the store if they will set it up for me.. They told me to wait an hr before pluggin it in too bc it was cold that day in Jerz. They even called up the main office for them to tell me they normally don't put it together bc of insurance purposes.. Some BS if you ask me. Anyway, they either felt bad for me or decided to help out a fellow spic and put it on the stand.

Sadly, all depends on the person and their mood that day.

When I bought a set from Sears they put the set wherever I wanted it and hooked up any components hooked up to the old set being replaced.

They turned on the set and got a picture before leaving.

The Sales guy warned me that they would not hook up anything that was not already working on the set being replaced, to avoid having to configure new components and slow down the delivery process.

Sears does use subs for delivery, so your experience will probably vary. My advise is to always call the store if the delivery people do not do what you expect them to do.

You are the customer. Just because they have a big truck does not put them in charge.
aydu is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Bonesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Anyone saying anything different may simply have had a different experience than you did.

+1. The enhanced delivery is not White Glove delivery. If a certain company chooses to do more than what Amazon requires, kudos to them and lucky you.
Bonesdad is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesdad View Post

+1. The enhanced delivery is not White Glove delivery. If a certain company chooses to do more than what Amazon requires, kudos to them and lucky you.

Again it really comes down to the driver more.
ROMAN O is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off