Samsung picture size mode -- 16:9, wide, screen fit, totally confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure I'm missing something here. I have a 58b540. I have the picture mode set to dynamic and the picture size set to 16:9. I watch mainly HD channels.

Sometimes my kids watch Nick or another non-HD channel and it's in 4:3 format with the black side bars. I've read a lot of threads about image retention, so I don't want them watching the tv that way.

I went into the picture mode settings, and I found the picture size selection. There are about 4 or 5 settings -- 16:9, zoom 1 and zoom 2 (grayed out), wide fit and screen fit. I figured screen fit would be the correct selection -- with 16:9 HD content, there wouldn't be any correction necessary, and with 4:3 non-HD content, it would stretch the picture to "fit" the screen. Well, long story short, screen fit doesn't seem to have any effect on 4:3 content and only a slight effect on 16:9 content. When I switch the setting to wide, it stretches the non-HD 4:3 content to fill the screen, but it also has a bad effect on HD channels.

On my Sony 46XBR6, there's an auto-wide mode that automatically detects non-HD content and stretches it to fill the screen, while leaving HD content alone. Is there any similar setting on the Samsung? Do I really have to change the picture setting every time I switch between HD and non-HD channels? That can't be right.

Oh, and by the way, I tried fiddling with the settings on my Comcast DVR cable box (as I had read about in another thread), but there was no setting available that would do what I want it to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Leaving it in Dynamic (otherwise known as torch mode) will probably cause more harm than occasional sidebars.

Steve S.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Not Active
post #4 of 35 Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Screen fit is 1:1 pixel mapping of 1080i/p content. If a station broadcasts 1080 or 720 but is showing 4:3 content then there will be side bars. The side bars are from the station, not your tv. Changing to 16:9 mode will only eliminate overscan, not the side bars. However, if the channel is 480, then 16:9 mode will stretch the picture to eliminate sidebars.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 AM

I believe the Zoom 1 and 2 will not be greyed out if the source is 480. Any other source resolution and it will be grey.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #6 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

To the poster that commented on my use of dynamic mode, I guess I'm a bit confused. This is the setting that appeals to me the most. If I am damaging the set by using it, then maybe I need to return it and buy another set. I would have thought that Samsung wouldn't have put an option in the user menu settings that would allow the user to damage the tv, but perhaps I'm mistaken (I really know nothing about these things).

Based on the other responses, though, it appears that there's no easy way to set up the tv in the manner I'm accustomed to? It's just so strange because, as I explained above, my Sony does this automatically, and I previously had a 58s1 which also automatically stretched SD content but left HD content alone.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

e
post #7 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I am damaging the set by using it, then maybe I need to return it and buy another set. I would have thought that Samsung wouldn't have put an option in the user menu settings that would allow the user to damage the tv, but perhaps I'm mistaken (I really know nothing about these things).

Mostly that "feature" is built in (by every manufacturer) to compete on the sales floor. Everyone's eye is drawn to the monitor that's blazing away, but at home it's too much. Colors are wrong, grey scale is skewed - in short, not an accurate picture. You know those cars you hate sitting next to at a stop light with the booming bass? That's what any tv (plasma, lcd, rptv) is like when it's set to dynamic.

BTW-"wide fit" is supposed to work on your set the way you want it to - how are you receiving your HD signal and what input are you using?
post #8 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

BTW-"wide fit" is supposed to work on your set the way you want it to - how are you receiving your HD signal and what input are you using?

Thanks. I have a Comcast HD DVR hooked up to the tv with an HDMI cable. I tried fiddling with the box settings, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the menu that allows me to change the way the content is delivered to the tv. When I set the picture size to wide mode, the SD channels do what they're supposed to do, but there's an significant adverse stretching effect on the HD channels as well.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you using Input 2 or a different HDMI input? (I'm probably reaching at straws here, but Input 2 does work differently from the other HDMI inputs)
Also, unless you're not actually receiving an HD signal, the tv is not working properly as "wide fit" is not supposed to affect anything HD.
Is it possible that the cable box is not actually outputting an HD signal? (IIRC, by pushing "info" on the samsung remote it will tell you the signal type being displayed) - this could be an explanation as well. (BTW-my new sammy is being delivered in a few hours so I'll play with it and see what I see as well)
post #10 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

Are you using Input 2 or a different HDMI input? (I'm probably reaching at straws here, but Input 2 does work differently from the other HDMI inputs)
Also, unless you're not actually receiving an HD signal, the tv is not working properly as "wide fit" is not supposed to affect anything HD.
Is it possible that the cable box is not actually outputting an HD signal? (IIRC, by pushing "info" on the samsung remote it will tell you the signal type being displayed) - this could be an explanation as well. (BTW-my new sammy is being delivered in a few hours so I'll play with it and see what I see as well)

Thanks. Helpful thoughts. The box is putting out a 1080i signal on HD channels. It says so on the info that appears on the screen when I turn on the tv, and it also says so on the box itself.

As for the HDMI input, I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm using HDMI 1 and not HDMI 2. I didn't think that would make a difference. I'll try switching it tonight. Are you thinking that HDMI 1 is for something other than a cable box with a dedicated 1080p/i source?
post #11 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
If you're using Dynamic mode, you aren't really doing much better than an LCD outside of viewing angles.

If watching stationary content for hours is something that will be done using Dynamic mode, I would be very wary of burn in to the set.

As others have stated, Dynamic modes only purpose is really to compete against other sets in a store using a picture that is so unnatural it will stand out amongst other sets and catch your eye.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, HDMI 2 is used for PCs and sometimes gives funny results with other sources. Should be fine with input 1
post #13 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonus View Post

If you're using Dynamic mode, you aren't really doing much better than an LCD outside of viewing angles.

If watching stationary content for hours is something that will be done using Dynamic mode, I would be very wary of burn in to the set.

As others have stated, Dynamic modes only purpose is really to compete against other sets in a store using a picture that is so unnatural it will stand out amongst other sets and catch your eye.

That's what I'm trying to avoid by having the entire screen filled in when watching SD content, but not be distorted when I watch 16:9 HD content.

Like I said above, I like Dynamic mode. If I can't watch tv on this mode, then I can't own this set. I'm just trying to figure out a way to be able to switch back and forth between HD and SD without having to change the picture size.
post #14 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man22 View Post

That's what I'm trying to avoid by having the entire screen filled in when watching SD content, but not be distorted when I watch 16:9 HD content.

Like I said above, I like Dynamic mode. If I can't watch tv on this mode, then I can't own this set. I'm just trying to figure out a way to be able to switch back and forth between HD and SD without having to change the picture size.

I connect my cable directly to my television and it correctly lets me set a different picture mode for SD signals and HD signals. I believe the set should allow you to set different options depending on what signal it is receiving. Maybe a cable box setting? Does your television recognize it is receiving a 480i/p signal on SD channels and a 720p/1080i/p signal on HD channels?

As for your love of Dynamic, you can try using it but I would not recommend it. I would not be surprised if you come home to find images burned into your plasma one day because your children left the set on with stationary images. Nobody here really runs with torch mode settings so it is hard to say how resilient the set will be to that kind of abuse.
gus738 likes this.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I found wide fit is just like the zoom function when not on hdmi, it strech's all content,sd,hd or whatever will not automatically change to screen fit on hd content
post #16 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I connect my cable directly to my television and it correctly lets me set a different picture mode for SD signals and HD signals. I believe the set should allow you to set different options depending on what signal it is receiving. Maybe a cable box setting? Does your television recognize it is receiving a 480i/p signal on SD channels and a 720p/1080i/p signal on HD channels?

As for your love of Dynamic, you can try using it but I would not recommend it. I would not be surprised if you come home to find images burned into your plasma one day because your children left the set on with stationary images. Nobody here really runs with torch mode settings so it is hard to say how resilient the set will be to that kind of abuse.

I did some searching, and apparently there is a hidden cable box menu that can be accessed only with the cable box off (strange, I know). I'll try that when I get home tonight.

As for the kids, they're 7 and 9 and in school most of the day. They don't watch too much tv down there and they know they aren't allowed to watch a station with black bars on the side. As for the Nick logo burning in to the set, I would think the risk is just as great with the stations that I watch (like ESPN, the Golf Channel and Discovery) which continuously display their logos. I realize that doesn't make it right, but my point is that if I'm going to get bad IR or burn-in, it will most likely be my fault and not theirs. And this brings me back to my original premise -- if it's a bad idea to watch HD cable in Dynamic mode, then maybe I need to find me a different tv?

e
post #17 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I did some searching, and apparently there is a hidden cable box menu that can be accessed only with the cable box off (strange, I know). I'll try that when I get home tonight.

As for the kids, they're 7 and 9 and in school most of the day. They don't watch too much tv down there and they know they aren't allowed to watch a station with black bars on the side. As for the Nick logo burning in to the set, I would think the risk is just as great with the stations that I watch (like ESPN, the Golf Channel and Discovery) which continuously display their logos. I realize that doesn't make it right, but my point is that if I'm going to get bad IR or burn-in, it will most likely be my fault and not theirs. And this brings me back to my original premise -- if it's a bad idea to watch HD cable in Dynamic mode, then maybe I need to find me a different tv?

e

It's your call really. If you haven't noticed any real image retention problems thus far you should be fine using those settings. It's just those settings speed up the rate at which such problems occur (image retention and burnin).
post #18 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's your call really. If you haven't noticed any real image retention problems thus far you should be fine using those settings. It's just those settings speed up the rate at which such problems occur (image retention and burnin).

That's the strange part. I haven't noticed a thing -- not a single instance of IR -- and I've been looking for it based on what I've read here in these threads, particularly in the first few hundred hours when the set is new.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

That's the strange part. I haven't noticed a thing -- not a single instance of IR -- and I've been looking for it based on what I've read here in these threads, particularly in the first few hundred hours when the set is new.

Then enjoy your set! I'm not trying to force you to dislike your set, as everyone has their own preferences and we all prefer our own. Just trying to warn you of the potential issues you may face.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then enjoy your set! I'm not trying to force you to dislike your set, as everyone has their own preferences and we all prefer our own.

+1 (but please realize that dynamic mode does the same thing for every manufacturer's set and simply purchasing a different brand won't "fix" the problem)
post #21 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 130
This may be redundant at this point, but here's my take:

-- The Zoom modes only work on a 480 signal.
-- I believe as you note the 16:9 and Wide Fit will only stretch a native 4:3 signal. Most HD channels send a native 16:9 signal EVEN IF THEY ARE SENDING A 4:3 PROGRAM. They include black bars (or in some cases, mostly sports, grey or even patterned bars) in their signal. So the TV effectively doesn't know it is getting a 4:3 program to stretch, which is why the feature only stretches non-HD signals. Every HD TV I have owned or work with has the same issue, though I can't speak to whether there are exceptions that compensate for this.
-- Most likely your Comcast DVR box (or possibly the receiver) is converting your non-HD channels up to a 16:9 resolution. If it did this, it would defeat your TV’s ability to stretch. You need to have every device set to send “native.” The Samsung, with rare exceptions, will do a much better job up-converting the native signal than your other devices would anyway.
-- If you are confident your Samsung is receiving a native signal and is still refusing to stretch 4:3 SD-based signals, then you have a defective TV. Mine stretches this stuff beautifully. It’s easy to see if it is getting a native signal by just reading the INFO screen. Just read what resolution it is receiving and note whether it is a 480, 720 or 1080-baed resolution. If you are on an SD channel and it is receiving an HD resolution, you know your issue starts before the Samsung.

Good luck.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, problem solved.

I had to go into the "service menu" of my cable box. With the tv on and the cable box off, I hit the menu button on the cable remote. It's a very primitive looking menu (unlike a user menu). One of the options was 4:3 override -- on/off. It was set to off, and I switched it to on. With my tv set to 16:9, all channels are displayed in full screen. HD looks great, SD looks as good as can be expected.

Now, if I could just get rid of that annoying buzz . . .

Thanks for everyone's help.

e
post #23 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 AM

Thank goodness!!! The "service menu" change fixed mine too.

I had been using component cables with it working fine then switched to HDMI which caused the sidebars to appear on nonHD channels. Funny thing was when I put the component cables back on to check if it was just the HDMI the sidebars stayed?

It was driving me insane!
post #24 of 35 Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Okay, problem solved.

Now, if I could just get rid of that annoying buzz . . .

Thanks for everyone's help.

e

Again not trying to say how you should enjoy your set but it's very likely the buzz will be stronger in Dynamic mode as the set is running "brighter" for lack of a better word. High Contrast is perhaps a better description.

I would look around this forum for some good settings on your set. The funny thing I find about an accurate picture is you may not like it right away but given a chance you might love it. THX on my G10 is like this. At first it looks dull but then it quickly looks as it should. Just thought I'd suggest this.
post #25 of 35 Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM

I know this is an old thread but thought maybe someone would get some help if so needed...after searching around on both remotes for me...im with verizon. Using my verizon remote under... settings-video settings-sd override...then into stretch mode fixes problem! Hope this helps anyone else with same problem!
post #26 of 35 Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 PM

I just purchased a new Samsung 51" plasma tv from Best Buy. When watching HD broadcasts like baseball, my screen does not display all the scores etc that are being broadcast (i.e. the broadcast picture is bigger than my tv is dispaying).

How do I access the "service menue" that people here have talked about?

Also, I saw a prior post about accessing a hidden menu from the cable remote when the cable box is off. When I try that, the only menu that pulls up is the Samsung tv menu screen. It doesn't make sense to me that the cable box can display a menu when the box itself is off.

Any ideas?
post #27 of 35 Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedinva View Post

I just purchased a new Samsung 51" plasma tv from Best Buy. When watching HD broadcasts like baseball, my screen does not display all the scores etc that are being broadcast (i.e. the broadcast picture is bigger than my tv is dispaying).
Also, I saw a prior post about accessing a hidden menu from the cable remote when the cable box is off. When I try that, the only menu that pulls up is the Samsung tv menu screen. It doesn't make sense to me that the cable box can display a menu when the box itself is off.
Any ideas?

Press 'picture size' on the remote and use 'Screen Fit.'
16:9 adds over scan for the orbiter and degrades the picture.
stay away from the service menu it's a easy way to ruin the tv.
post #28 of 35 Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks! That fixed mine, too!wink.gif
post #29 of 35 Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man22 View Post

You are very patient.
post #30 of 35 Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedinva View Post

I just purchased a new Samsung 51" plasma tv from Best Buy. When watching HD broadcasts like baseball, my screen does not display all the scores etc that are being broadcast (myzV. the broadcast picture is bigger than my tv is dispaying).

Any ideas?
This is the problem in the last year,how about now?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr6 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page