I found a solution for my Panasonic plasma buzz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I returned two TC-P42S1's because I couldn't tolerate the buzz. Then I went with the TC-P42G15 and the buzz is still there, only it seems to be less noticeable (and the picture and features are more attractive than the S1). I've also heard of people mentioning the buzz with the V10, so I can only assume they all do it. Some people may be more sensitive to high frequencies, and it may depend on location.

I got to thinking, when I set up the G1 in the living room I didn't notice the buzz unless I went around back of the set. When I put it in my bedroom, there it was again from a viewing distance of 14 feet.

I have it in a quiet room, in a corner, about a foot away from two walls. I stood in front of the TV paused on a bright screen to hear the buzzing. I then held a blanket behind the TV, and, even at that close distance, I could barely hear it.

So apparently if you can hear it at a substantial distance, it's all about reflection from the wall. Right now I have a blanket on the wall and the buzz is no longer an issue. I plan on getting high-frequency acoustic foam to hang where the blanket is for aesthetics.

This worked for me and I'm finally satisfied. As long as the sound isn't reflecting off the wall, it stays behind the set.
Devil Dan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM

That sounds good I wonder why it would not work for Sammy and PIo owners.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM

For Samsungs, I think it works only if you cover the entire tv with a thick blanket
post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

That sounds good I wonder why it would not work for Sammy and PIo owners.

I couldn't say, but the buzz on the G1 is very slight. I've never heard a Samsung or Pioneer which may be considerably easier to hear without being reflected.

I only pick up on it because of the location and due to the overall size and silence of the room. Sound-dampening material worked like a charm in my case since it no longer has anything to bounce off of.

There are some attractive acoustic foam tiles out there, but they can be expensive. I'll shop around. In the mean time, the blanket works.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 50S1. I notice the buzz even during low volume tv and gaming (although the xbox360 fans usually drown it out). I was thinking when I first got the TV that it was the reflections off the back wall but didn't think of testing it. Before the purchase of my 50S1 I had a Samsung 50B650 which produced a horrendous buzz at a frequency that gave me headaches. Man was I glad when that thing left my house...

Thanks for the tip I may try some acoustic paneling in the future

BTW.. do you notice any difference between the S1 and G15 in terms of shadow quality. What I mean is the distinction between black and dark grey. I find the S1 very dark and in some movies I can barely see whats going on in dark scenes (exe. a collar on a black coat). This is with the contrast at 100%. It is somewhat frustrating to deal with and is the most annoying thing about my TV... with the buzz following closely.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfun View Post

I have a 50S1. I notice the buzz even during low volume tv and gaming (although the xbox360 fans usually drown it out). I was thinking when I first got the TV that it was the reflections off the back wall but didn't think of testing it. Before the purchase of my 50S1 I had a Samsung 50B650 which produced a horrendous buzz at a frequency that gave me headaches. Man was I glad when that thing left my house...

Thanks for the tip I may try some acoustic paneling in the future

BTW.. do you notice any difference between the S1 and G15 in terms of shadow quality. What I mean is the distinction between black and dark grey. I find the S1 very dark and in some movies I can barely see whats going on in dark scenes (exe. a collar on a black coat). This is with the contrast at 100%. It is somewhat frustrating to deal with and is the most annoying thing about my TV... with the buzz following closely.

I've only had the G15 for a couple days and have yet to watch a blu-ray, but I'd say it's just as dark as the S1 on cable TV anyway. I played Dead Space on it for a couple hours and I can't see much of a difference game-wise.

What I do notice is that the G15 has less of a grainy appearance than the S1. I picked up on it during the initial setup menu. The characters were perfectly crisp on the G15, whereas they were a little grainy and blurry on the S1. Maybe it was just a difference in the panels I got and not a model issue. Can't say for sure, but I do know the picture looks more crisp than the S1's I had. The S1 still had a superior picture to LCD and I was impressed. As far as the collar on a black coat, yes, I notice that on the G15 but it depends on the picture mode. Vivid mode is bad for that. I don't have much of an issue with custom settings.

I also like the viera cast feature since I don't have pay per view (I know I could use the 360 to rent movies too, but this seems easier). And the PC port is something I thought the S1 should have had.

THX sucks though. There was supposed to be a firmware update to fix it. When I got on viera cast it automatically downloaded the update, but I don't see any difference.

Good luck.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2k9 View Post

So apparently if you can hear it at a substantial distance, it's all about reflection from the wall. Right now I have a blanket on the wall and the buzz is no longer an issue. I plan on getting high-frequency acoustic foam to hang where the blanket is for aesthetics.

This worked for me and I'm finally satisfied. As long as the sound isn't reflecting off the wall, it stays behind the set.

Good job trigger2k9. I started using acoustic treatments above and behind my Samsung plasma a few weeks ago. (sloped ceiling) It has helped a great degree. I've posted this in the Samsung buzz thread, but I don't know if anyone has tried it.

FYI, if you google "plasma buzz gone acoustic tiles", someone posted pics of their acoustic tiles and how they fixed their plasma buzz. But they may have gone to greater lengths than you need.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Good job trigger2k9. I started using acoustic treatments above and behind my Samsung plasma a few weeks ago. (sloped ceiling) It has helped a great degree. I've posted this in the Samsung buzz thread, but I don't know if anyone has tried it.

FYI, if you google "plasma buzz gone acoustic tiles", someone posted pics of their acoustic tiles and how they fixed their plasma buzz. But they may have gone to greater lengths than you need.

I just saw the thread with the pics. It doesn't look half bad.

He said the buzzing was so loud that it drowned out the sound of his fridge. If it worked for him, it should totally eliminate the sound of my buzzing, at least from being heard in front of the set.

I didn't order anything as elaborate. I got 10 quare feet for $20 from Amazon, so I figure if they don't work well it's no big loss. I'm not sure if that'll be enough to cover the area, but I'll give it a shot.

Also, with acoustic foam you don't need to cover the entire area. You can space them out a bit from what I've heard. I'll try a few things when they get here.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Wow, I have the buzz issue and this is a great finding. I've thinking about adding a bias light and was concerned about the beige wall behind the TV. Black or gray acoustic panels might help me kill two birds with one stone!
post #10 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoh00 View Post

Wow, I have the buzz issue and this is a great finding. I've thinking about adding a bias light and was concerned about the beige wall behind the TV. Black or gray acoustic panels might help me kill two birds with one stone!

Bias lighting is most of the best improvements I have made in my HT> to me, if done right makes a worldly difference. Also people think its real good for that wow factor..

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #11 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

Bias lighting is most of the best improvements I have made in my HT> to me, if done right makes a worldly difference. Also people think its real good for that wow factor..

You have a bias lighting? No wonder you laugh at everyone having the black level issue!
post #12 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Anyone with recommendation for aesthetically pleasing and color neutral (D65) acoustic panels?
post #13 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoh00 View Post

Anyone with recommendation for aesthetically pleasing and color neutral (D65) acoustic panels?

Search for 'acoustic foam' at Amazon. They have a few nice looking kits that you can configure in different ways behind your TV. You can also get some cool designs on eBay.

I got the el cheapo 1/4" ones for now, which is probably just a roll. I'll probably go with one of the Auralex kits if the cheap ones don't do a good enough job (or if they look like crap). Hopefully they'll do at least as well as the blanket.

I'm thinking of ordering these in burgundy since that's the color of my curtains:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Studio...301862&sr=1-13

You get 32 of them, which should be more than enough to cover the area behind a 42" TV, or any TV for that matter.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

I recently installed bias lighting and was very happy with it...initially. However, several weeks after I installed the bias lighting I watched a movie without it and I have to say I find the impact of the image "floating" against a black background to have more visual impact. I'm simply drawn to the image more without the bias lighting, although I must admit there is more eye strain. As well, the black's appeared "blacker" with the bias light, but the difference is not enough to offset the loss of the impact of the floating image I get without the bias light. I have a 600M and I think the Law of Diminishing Returns regarding black levels has come to roost. Of course, the impact of the perceived darker blacks may be greater with panels that are more "black challenged", so my experience may not be typical.

It pains me to report this since I spent a good amount of cash on this lighting, but it is what it is.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #15 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I recently installed bias lighting and was very happy with it...initially. However, several weeks after I installed the bias lighting I watched a movie without it and I have to say I find the impact of the image "floating" against a black backround to have more visual impact. I'm simply drawn to the image more without the bias lighting, although I must admit there is more eye strain. As well, the black's appeared "blacker" with the bias light, but the difference is not enough to offset the loss of the impact of the floating image I get without the bias light. I have a 600M and I think the Law of Diminishing Returns regarding black levels has come to roost. Of course, the impact of the perceived darker blacks may be greater with panels that are more "black challenged", so my experience may not be typical.

It pains me to report this since I spent a good amount of cash on this lighting, but it is what it is.

I have done mine quite different then most. I have seen a lot of pictures with bias back lighting that is pretty well lit up. I only use 1 strip of LED lights and its very, very dim.

mmoh00.. haha that is a good response. But I did have my 141 set up the same way. I just like how it looks overall in my room. I have very light off white walls with a dark accent wall where the TV is. so when the light is just right its makes for a really cool affect..

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #16 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Hey guys, I see many of you having issues with buzzing plasmas (or power supplies)

Just something you might wanna try, I have a solution that works (plus an explanation) - did for my cousins Panny - works like a charm, also a Toshiba LCD where the inverter was buzzing.

(I got lucky, my Sammy barley buzzes)

Anywho, - I posted this in another thread so Ill just copy the quote here :

01-07-10, 03:07 PM
JF-GINO

QUOTE:
"if you are experiencing BUZZING – this is nothing to be too alarmed at, as its just the filter caps in the power supply oscillating the pre-charge for the panel.

LCDs will buzz too, as the inverters ceramic components in the transformer will do the same thing for a backlight on full.

A plasmas power supply (even LCD) is like a fancy computer controlled Ballast. The high voltage components can oscillate and buzz if they are not placed on the board properly, or harmonically resonate within the plasma case/bezel. To fix or cut down on the buzz, I would suggest gluing down all the power supply components so the are not loose. Then baffling the back metal cover with electrical tape not covering the grills.

This should help. My cousin bought a Panasonic which buzzed (loud enough to be annoying at times), so I did this, and the buzz was almost eliminated.

My Sammy buzzes a bit, but only with it muted and with my face 1 foot from the screen LOL – very common for high voltage devices."

The only prob. here is that you void your warranty by taking the back off and gluing the power supply's components down.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mine's not bad enough to void the warranty. I haven't even noticed it since padding the wall unless I get right up on it with the volume down or look around back.

Now that you mention LCD, I just checked behind my 52" XBR6 in the living room and it has the same sound, although it's quieter not just on bright screens.

Go figure...I'd probably notice that too if I put it in the G15's spot.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Hey it works! I bought a 2' x 3.5' black acoustic form at a local music store and hung it on the wall right behind the TV. It didn't totally eliminate it but the buzz I can hear from my sitting position is definitely lower! The sawtooth surface and its shadow didn't go very well with my bias lighting so I did cut the size a little to make it totally invisible from my sofa position. A bigger panel would have helped more but I'm still very happy with the result! Thanks to the OP.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Hey guys,

This is how I fixed my Panasonic Plasma after one year of ownership. I'm posting this in case it may help anybody. Please do not try this without the assistance of a pro. Try at your own risk and be sure to unplug the TV if you decide to take it apart and void your warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page