Why can't a non 3D plasma be converted to 3D? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Impossible, and here is why:

First, the circular polarizer method used ‘POLARIZERS’ – polarizers change the way light travels. It changes its ‘plane’ and allows light to transmit in a fixed direction. A plasma can not manipulate light in this way. This is impossible to do with a plasma, even with filters over a screen.

Each of the 2 images itself MUST be generated by a special polarizer with an angle exactly matching the ones for each lens on the glasses respectively.

This could only be done with maybe a special LCD screen with 2 panel layers and 2 separate polarizers for each panel. This could get expensive.

The polarizers can also cause ghosting and other problems.

Anywho, bottom line, polarized Tech for 3D can not be applied to plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

It would seem to me that this would be possible-- if a display can handle 1080p60 (that I assume my 50G10 can do), then if the source instead puts out 1080i 60fps, then 30 of them would be the odd lines (clockwise polarization) and the other 30 the even lines (anti-clockwise polarization). Why would this not be possible? Is the TV itself doing something to the image that would preclude such a result from the proper input source?

just a thought..
..dane

This would in fact be possible if the display also had the necessary filters. For circular polarized displays, the screen must be coated with polarizers, and a 3D optical filter must be applied to the surface. I am not sure whether the polarizers and filter are on the outisde or inside of the screen.

Either way, CP is not the highest quality form of stereoscopic imaging. Active shutter is the only method which can retain the full native resolution and frame rate of the original source video. This is why most mfrs. have chosen this method.
post #33 of 39 Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Check this out, 3D using a Wii controller and an ordinary LCD screen.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=976

I saw this a few months back. It's a form of autostereoscopic imaging, and it's very impressive. It even looks like the distance and viewing angles are greater than the 3D displays shown at CES.
post #34 of 39 Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Awesome feedback.. Thanks so much guys!

So do the CP films like Avatar use two separate projectors, one going CW and one going CCW polarization? (Or maybe you just need a CP filter and the film content handles the CW/CCW stuff)

..dane
post #35 of 39 Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Wonder if a 3D-device output to sync shutter glasses is absolutely necessary?

Probably not. This is a thread about a guy who played back the Avatar 3d Blu-Ray using his PS3, but using NVidia shutter glasses meant to be used with a PC. He just played back some random video on his PC and managed to get the shutter glasses to sync up with the Avatar movie.

Maybe he just got lucky, but it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to invent an HDMI dongle that would detect frame sync, and then add an option to add a delay - or just build the option it in to the Blu-Ray player.

If the 3d consortium frowns on that sort of thing, then it may take someone not involved to pull it off.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=4205751
post #36 of 39 Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Awesome feedback.. Thanks so much guys!

So do the CP films like Avatar use two separate projectors, one going CW and one going CCW polarization? (Or maybe you just need a CP filter and the film content handles the CW/CCW stuff)

..dane

Yes, 2 projectors with different polarizers...

I feel that like someone else noted we're just being taken for a ride here. When you see that manufactorers are going with shutter glasses, which have been arround for a while and work with regular displays, this seems like a gimmick to get people to purchase a new TV. The only benefit I could possibly see is that the synchronizer would be part of the tv and not an independent dongle...
post #37 of 39 Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Well, DirecTV just announced that they will begin to carry ESPN3D:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=4630001

Sounds pretty freakin awesome, especially the world cup in 3D!!

I just purchased a Samsung 50B550 (mid February), anyone know if there is any way to take watch this with some kind of adaptor???

I may just buy a 3DTV at best buy at the beginning of World Cup and return it at the end................ is there a hefty restocking fee for TVs?

Thanks.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #38 of 39 Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM

I have both, Samsung 43 Plasma, same t.v. 3D, side by side and I can't tell much difference but the 3D movies and some online 3D. I am pushing 85hz with no problem and most times I watch the regular plasma it has a better picture. I think a converter box would fit just fine to push 120hz the t.v. will take it but not all the time just like the real thing.
post #39 of 39 Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Seems like you can just hook your pc to your TV and buy a 3D graphics card that syncs with glases and you can have 3d blu-ray and video games. The NVIDIA NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit Model 942-11431-0007-001 is 129 at New Egg and comes with glasses and the IR emitter. I might do this for my plasma TV. Dont know why this wouldn't work. If there are any naysayers please speak up before I buy and try.

Side note: I have a Media Center PC that I use as a tivo, and HD tuner that I picked up as an open box deal from circuit city a while back, best $99 bucks I ever spent. Got rid of cable and now have a less compressed HD with 30 channels or so and the Netflix and Hulu are unencumbered by those stupid mobile or set top box flash and legal regulations that cut down on your content availability, I love it, control it with your android phone via free gmote app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page