Panasonic or LG, facts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting my first plasma soon and have pretty much settle on the Panasonic 46G10. However, went in to my local TV shop to check prices and chat today and have some questions.
It's a family shop, and basically all they carry is LG, and I asked them about the Panasonic. From their attitude, I've basically been talked into anything but an LG, but wanted to check some facts, and most of my research has been done here.
Their main selling points were...

LG owns more patents, and Panasonic doesn't have any of their own patents... Ok, but how does that matter to me?

Panasonic is almost impossible to find parts for, and LG parts are easily available... If part availability is an issue, I'd rather have a TV that doesn't break that often thanks...

And I told them what I'd been reading was that Panasonic had better panels with more accurate color and a better overall picture, and both the tech and the owner said they'd be happy to talk to anyone that said that because they were full of it and needed to be set straight.

Are any of those points valid? Went in to check prices, and came out confused and a bit hostile to LG fanboys, lol.

Help?

I've seen threads about differences here, but they were more specific and I guess I'm looking for generalizations? When I drop more money on a TV than all but my latest vehicle (heh!) I want to be sure of my choice first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pioneer <---- Panasonic <------- Samsung / LG

Pioneer was the best. They're now gone. Panasonic bought their patents (and btw are the only company focused exclusively on plasma still). LG and Samsung are focused on LCDs. Panasonic just created a new factory and is the first bringing out 3-D plasmas, additionally to using Kuro tech in their higher end models next year (if CES reporting is to be believed).

LG and Samsung tend to be more IR-prone. Samsung seems to have a pretty bad rap on tv's in general for reliability. Consumer reports claims they're all pretty similar for reliability, but a lot of people who've had Samsungs in the past seem to have had bad experience. LG make probably slightly better panels than Samsung. Panasonic own plenty of their own patents and FIY they make the highest end IPS Pro LCD panels (just check wikipedia if you want verification). What you have is a case of LG fanboyism there.

Some stores get kickbacks for pushing certain products. LG pays them the most so they push LG. Bestbuy is the same way with Samsung panels. They have display shootouts every once in a while over at value electronics. Maybe someone has the link for the breakdown of what people thought there.

My advice - wait for next years panels - either the G25 or V25 Panasonics when they come out. Basically Kuros (possibly improved on), but for affordable prices. From what I read, LG plasmas for next year were pretty disappointing by comparison.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 PM

I would not agree that LG makes better panels than samsung, especially with regard to black levels.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post

Getting my first plasma soon and have pretty much settle on the Panasonic 46G10. However, went in to my local TV shop to check prices and chat today and have some questions.
It's a family shop, and basically all they carry is LG, and I asked them about the Panasonic. From their attitude, I've basically been talked into anything but an LG, but wanted to check some facts, and most of my research has been done here.
Their main selling points were...

LG owns more patents, and Panasonic doesn't have any of their own patents... Ok, but how does that matter to me?

Panasonic is almost impossible to find parts for, and LG parts are easily available... If part availability is an issue, I'd rather have a TV that doesn't break that often thanks...

And I told them what I'd been reading was that Panasonic had better panels with more accurate color and a better overall picture, and both the tech and the owner said they'd be happy to talk to anyone that said that because they were full of it and needed to be set straight.

Are any of those points valid? Went in to check prices, and came out confused and a bit hostile to LG fanboys, lol.

Help?

I've seen threads about differences here, but they were more specific and I guess I'm looking for generalizations? When I drop more money on a TV than all but my latest vehicle (heh!) I want to be sure of my choice first.

"It's a family shop and basically all they carry is LG"---What would you expect them to push? Scare tactics about parts availability are common in this industry but only really apply to third tier makers like ProScan or Element.

Remember an American electronics mfg. called Zenith? They built premium quality electronics for over 50 years and literally went broke under the R&D costs incurred in developing the digital broadcast system used in the US. They were snapped up by LG to get those patents. For a while, before all HD tvs had built in digital tuners and the tuners had to be bought separately, LG had the best OTA tuner boxes on the market due to this purchase. They also made tvs under the Zenith brand name that were junk compared to the older Zenith sets--many of the 27" crt sets they built actually caught fire.

Don't get me wrong, LG makes a pretty decent lcd and the built in "picture wizard" calibration feature is really cool, but their emphasis as previously posted is primarily on LCD sets, not plasma.

Panasonic is the most committed to the future of plasma, they don't even make an LCD over 42" (but the ones they do make are excellent). They have among the best reliability ratings in the industry, and they make their own panels. 'Nuff said.

Steve S.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 AM

I have a 3 year old 720p LG plasma and it has been a great tv.
I'd buy a Panasonic plasma today over an LG based on the tv's I have looked at and pricing.
I think Panasonic offers the most bang for the buck.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

"It's a family shop and basically all they carry is LG"---What would you expect them to push? Scare tactics about parts availability are common in this industry but only really apply to third tier makers like ProScan or Element.

Remember an American electronics mfg. called Zenith? They built premium quality electronics for over 50 years and literally went broke under the R&D costs incurred in developing the digital broadcast system used in the US. They were snapped up by LG to get those patents. For a while, before all HD tvs had built in digital tuners and the tuners had to be bought separately, LG had the best OTA tuner boxes on the market due to this purchase. They also made tvs under the Zenith brand name that were junk compared to the older Zenith sets--many of the 27" crt sets they built actually caught fire.

Don't get me wrong, LG makes a pretty decent lcd and the built in "picture wizard" calibration feature is really cool, but their emphasis as previously posted is primarily on LCD sets, not plasma.

Panasonic is the most committed to the future of plasma, they don't even make an LCD over 42" (but the ones they do make are excellent). They have among the best reliability ratings in the industry, and they make their own panels. 'Nuff said.

Funny you should mention that, they were also a huge Zenith shop... Anyway, it's an older shop owner with his wife and 2 techs (another selling point, he doesn't hire salesmen, they're all TECHS, with 30 years experience each, I suspect they just haven't kept up with the times.)
When it comes to antenna and OTA broadcast, the man knows his stuff, I'll give him credit for that...

Anyway, I digress from my next question...

When should the 2010 Panasonic models be out? I was looking to purchase in about 2-3 weeks, whenever my tax refund gets here... And is the next progression of the 46G10 the 46G20 or 46G25??
post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 AM

with proper online reading and research, trust your own knowledge rather than a pitch salesman. if you were to step in only panasonic shop and ask about LG, you will get the whole same idea how bad is LG.

LG vs Panny, Panny won my attention already 46G10 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P46G10-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UAB40E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264264240&sr=1-1
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Reasons to select Panasonic over LG/Samsung (especially on the entry-level sets): (1) Panasonic appears to have a slight edge in recently-reported reliability; (2) Panasonic panels seem to be slightly less susceptible to image retention; (3) Panasonic panels are perceived to have slightly darker blacks.

In LG/Samsungs' favor, you have (1) a brighter picture, due to less aggressive (or no) antiglare treatment and less active power supply management, and (2) better color rendition (due mostly to accessible color-calibration controls).

So...You'll get a visibly superior picture from the LG/Samsung sets (except for dark scenes), and you'll get slightly better QC from the Panasonic units.

I believe that the differences in QC are narrowing as each line matures. LG is now considered a top-notch competitor to Sony/Samsung in the LCD field, and LG is the only one offering a 60-inch display near $1K.

The 2010 addition of 3-D capability, to me, makes postponing a purchase until later this year a serious consideration. These displays have been maturing for ten years now; one more season for a relatively inexpensive yet showy "bell and whistle" seems reasonable.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Pioneer <---- Panasonic <------- Samsung / LG

Pioneer was the best. They're now gone. Panasonic bought their patents (and btw are the only company focused exclusively on plasma still). LG and Samsung are focused on LCDs. Panasonic just created a new factory and is the first bringing out 3-D plasmas, additionally to using Kuro tech in their higher end models next year (if CES reporting is to be believed).

LG and Samsung tend to be more IR-prone. Samsung seems to have a pretty bad rap on tv's in general for reliability. Consumer reports claims they're all pretty similar for reliability, but a lot of people who've had Samsungs in the past seem to have had bad experience. LG make probably slightly better panels than Samsung. Panasonic own plenty of their own patents and FIY they make the highest end IPS Pro LCD panels (just check wikipedia if you want verification). What you have is a case of LG fanboyism there.

Some stores get kickbacks for pushing certain products. LG pays them the most so they push LG. Bestbuy is the same way with Samsung panels. They have display shootouts every once in a while over at value electronics. Maybe someone has the link for the breakdown of what people thought there.

My advice - wait for next years panels - either the G25 or V25 Panasonics when they come out. Basically Kuros (possibly improved on), but for affordable prices. From what I read, LG plasmas for next year were pretty disappointing by comparison.

This post is so riddled with errors, conjecture, opinion and AVS Forum Mythology that I don't know where to begin.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not to mention cheap shots.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
One advantage Panny has over LG is image glare. This was shown to me by a salesman in store. It's easy to test out for yourself especially if they're placed next to each other. Just turn off both sets, and place yourself in front the screen, you'll be amazed by how much LG is more "mirror like" than the Panny. Panny barely had any reflection and as for the LG, I could see myself. It's something to consider unless you'll be watching tv in dark room. I decided to go for the LG anyway, because I'm a cheap bastard (Panny was $400 more) and I hardly ever watch/movies with my windows open. I didn't want to spend too much on a premium 50 incher, knnowing that in a year or two, I'll probably be changing my main tv to a 3-D compatible one.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 01:06 PM

I am starting to think about the PS80 as an alternative to the G10 or the Samsung 650 series. The black level/IR thing with the G10 and the buzz with the Samsung worry me a LOT. Thoughts?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandabby View Post

I am starting to think about the PS80 as an alternative to the G10 or the Samsung 650 series. The black level/IR thing with the G10 and the buzz with the Samsung worry me a LOT. Thoughts?

I bought the LGPS80 about 4 weeks ago. My first choices when I started looking at buying a new HDTV was a Sharp 65" LCD, Panny, and Samsung plasmas. My son pointed out the LG while he was researching the net functions of HDTVs. We went out to view the sets and compare. I was able to go to a Sears store and view my top three choices side by side. Initially I preferred the LCD by Sharp. After making adjustments to the LG I found myself glued to the picture quality. I have no regrets and have actually enjoyed the net features. I was intially concerned but after three to four weeks of pure viewing enjoyment I can say I made the right choice, thanks to the kid. I purchased my tv from Amazon for under $184.....delivered.
I find the build of this tv to be of very good quality and doesn't have the plastic look of other sets.
Good luck!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page