KRP vs. Laservue - pros/cons/thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At present I have a KRP-500m, which is a fine set, but I'm considering selling it off and going bigger. Laservue DLP's are now sub $4000 at several reputable online stores and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are who've compared the two (KRP/Elite and laservue) side by side. These days, you're lucky if a store even has a Pioneer period, let alone KRP or elite.

The fact that the Laservue is 3-D and has essentially a permanent light-source is quite tempting, but I can't seem to find anything to indicate one way or another what their long-term reliability is. Hypothetically, it should be much more reliable, but I don't have a clear idea how much has changed.

I was also wondering as to black levels, color accuracy, viewing angles, etc... in a real-world environment as opposed to B&M "sunlight" viewing. How close do they actually get to the Kuro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I think I found an important part of the answer to my question. Expected hour life on the lasers is 50,000 hours. Compared to newer Plasmas or LCD's, that's about half the lifespan (100k hours) so it really doesn't matter if a plasma drops to half brightness 50,000 hours later. Laser still seems pretty interesting, but until they can price it in accordance with its projected lifespan (and possible reliability issues), I think I'll stick to the flat 2-D picture of my Kuro
post #3 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I thought there was a thread for the Laservue here on AVS. You might want to check that out.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did, it seems pretty stagnant. I think I'll wait for it to get clear of beta-testing before I give it another look. My impressions were -

a) new owners who didn't get the backlight problem were very impressed with it
b) there weren't many owners who'd had them long enough to comment on long-term reliability (and if they did they may not have bothered posting or seaching the web if they had concierge coverage replace the set for them)
c) some people had sets that abruptly shut off... ie since there's very little in the way of parts in these compared to the DLP's this probably means a laser died or malfunctioned, causing the safety mechanisms to shut down the set.

Compared to the proven reliability of Kuros and Pioneers overall better service (and maintenance of parts supplies) I'm comfortable with the KRP. Only thing I'd seriously consider at this point would be a 2010 Panny assuming they have the black doubling sorted out.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Did, it seems pretty stagnant. I think I'll wait for it to get clear of beta-testing before I give it another look. My impressions were -

a) new owners who didn't get the backlight problem were very impressed with it
b) there weren't many owners who'd had them long enough to comment on long-term reliability (and if they did they may not have bothered posting or seaching the web if they had concierge coverage replace the set for them)
c) some people had sets that abruptly shut off... ie since there's very little in the way of parts in these compared to the DLP's this probably means a laser died or malfunctioned, causing the safety mechanisms to shut down the set.

Compared to the proven reliability of Kuros and Pioneers overall better service (and maintenance of parts supplies) I'm comfortable with the KRP. Only thing I'd seriously consider at this point would be a 2010 Panny assuming they have the black doubling sorted out.

Given the unfortunate near demise of any kind of rptv technology I doubt if they'll ever sell enough of these to get past the Beta stage.

Steve S.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's hard to tell at this point, but if Mitsubishi wants RPTV to stay alive, they need to seriously cut their prices and improve reliability. There's also a few newcomers to the laser field (check out Laser-phosphors), which is not RPTV and could give the other techs a run for their money if they ever get off the ground.

TV makers should take a hint from cell-phone companies, devices like the kindle, etc... and make binding agreements with content providers so that they get purchase kickbacks on content purchased from the tv they sell and/or subsidies from cable companies for the price of the tv. Then they could make higher quality tv's, charge less, and still have a healthy bottom line.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I am also interested in the Laservue now that they are around $3500. I guess it bothers me that this may be a dead end product but if I can get 5-7 years out of it then I'd be happy. By then someting newer should be available (OLED?). I much prefer its non-glare screen over Plasma. For me, reflections will be a big problem.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My impression is that they are still 2 years out or so until they become mainstream enough. For one they're heavy, but they also need to improve reliability. You aren't supposed to open them for safety, so what do I care if it has a laser but it shuts off in the first year or two. I think it'll be a tossup between them and 2011/12 Panasonic Kuros. Also I think it's a good idea to wait for the 3-D to be integrated at no additional cost instead of having to buy an external adapter. At present, I think the only real safe bets are Kuros in the plasma segment and I don't think there's any serious competition in what their price-range used to be last year.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

My impression is that they are still 2 years out or so until they become mainstream enough. For one they're heavy, but they also need to improve reliability. You aren't supposed to open them for safety, so what do I care if it has a laser but it shuts off in the first year or two. I think it'll be a tossup between them and 2011/12 Panasonic Kuros. Also I think it's a good idea to wait for the 3-D to be integrated at no additional cost instead of having to buy an external adapter. At present, I think the only real safe bets are Kuros in the plasma segment and I don't think there's any serious competition in what their price-range used to be last year.

I am concerned about reliability. They did take them off the market for a while. I have no idea if they have resolved the reliability issues. As for weight, they are both fairly heavy. I think the Mits weighs about 135lbs vs about 115 for the Kuro. I can't see that making much of a difference actually. I am not sure what 3D ready really means. So you still need to buy an adaptor (in addition to a 3D player)? Maybe I am not up on the latest prices but it seems that the LaserVue is $3K less than the Kuro.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I would wait until the 2nd gen laservue comes out. The 1st gen has some issues that hopefully they will fix in the 2nd gen units. Until then, I'd stick with your Kuro. Not that the 1st gen were junk, but if you read the threads (and what I saw myself as well), they do have some issues. I'm hoping the 2nd gen sets will be much more price conscious as well.

Oh, and RPTV is far from dead. They still sell many units. Mits will keep making them until they can no longer sell them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, RPTV is going to be around for a long while because the optics aren't really in the screen and the screen isn't fragile glass. That means the cost to produce a larger set is far less for the screen size. You can get a 73" DLP for the price of a 50 or 58" plasma. 82" DLP's are roughly inline with a 60/65" plasma or smaller LCD. That said I still like my 50" KRP more
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page