Pulling my hair out - please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, My name is Mike and I am brand new to this forum. First off, I appreciate any and all suggestions/help anyone can provide.

Ok here is a list of all the components:

Pioneer - KRP-500M Monitor
Pioneer - VSX-1019AH-K Receiver
PS3
ATT Uverse Box
Nintendo Wii

Here is the way I currently have it set up:

HDMI out from Uverse box to HDMI IN on Receiver
HDMI out from PS3 to BD HDMI slot on Receiver
HDMI out from Receiver to Monitor

I can only get the Wii to work correctly through the front RCA inputs on the receiver. (not a big issue but it would be nice to integrate through the back for a more permanent solution)

Here is the main issue:

Everything works fine except the sound for the PS3. I get Video just fine but no sound. I've searched EVERYWHERE for a solution and I've gotten nowhere.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the nuances of home theater set up so I'm hoping there is a simple fix.

The manual states that I have to run a separate audio out from the Monitor (via coax and optical cables or rca) in addition to the hdmi cable to the Monitor. Problem is, there isn't a an audio out on the KRP -500M. Is there?

How can I work around this issue? Please help. I can't bring myself to believe that these two components can't communicate.

Someone save me before I go insane...

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitek21 View Post

Hello, My name is Mike and I am brand new to this forum. First off, I appreciate any and all suggestions/help anyone can provide.

Ok here is a list of all the components:

Pioneer - KRP-500M Monitor
Pioneer - VSX-1019AH-K Receiver
PS3
ATT Uverse Box
Nintendo Wii

Here is the way I currently have it set up:

HDMI out from Uverse box to HDMI IN on Receiver
HDMI out from PS3 to BD HDMI slot on Receiver
HDMI out from Receiver to Monitor

I can only get the Wii to work correctly through the front RCA inputs on the receiver. (not a big issue but it would be nice to integrate through the back for a more permanent solution)

Here is the main issue:

Everything works fine except the sound for the PS3. I get Video just fine but no sound. I've searched EVERYWHERE for a solution and I've gotten nowhere.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the nuances of home theater set up so I'm hoping there is a simple fix.

The manual states that I have to run a separate audio out from the Monitor (via coax and optical cables or rca) in addition to the hdmi cable to the Monitor. Problem is, there isn't a an audio out on the KRP -500M. Is there?

How can I work around this issue? Please help. I can't bring myself to believe that these two components can't communicate.

Someone save me before I go insane...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Run a hdmi to the receiver hdmi input from the ps3 and then run a hdmi from the reciever output to the Pioneer.

There is a forum for this receiver which should help you out. Good Luck: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1149686

Kagolu
post #3 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

First, are you sure it isn't just natural male balding? They do have surgery to replace lost hair.

Those funky white cables that you got two of in your box - they are left and right channels. One side plugs into the KRP and the other side that looks like a thick wire is designed to clip into the optional side speakers for the KRP. You can get a line level converter from amazon or other sources typically anywhere from $25-75ish. This is so that you can use other speakers than the ones they come with. You best bet would probably be to get a cheapo HDMI switch to plug any extra HDMI (if you have more than 2 devices using it) into your KRP and then output via the white cables -> line level converter (to rca) -> reciever's rca input.

I guess another possibility would be if you could find something to convert hdmi audio into optical, coaxial, or multi-rca before it hit the receiver. I don't know if such products exist though (beyond the obvious one called a receiver).
post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=kagolu;18180791]Run a hdmi to the receiver hdmi input from the ps3 and then run a hdmi from the reciever output to the Pioneer.

There is a forum for this receiver which should help you out. Good Luck:

Thanks Kagolu - I appreciate the link to the forum. I'm still learning how to navigate this site.

I currently have the HDMI running out of the PS3 and into the Reciever and then running from the reciever to the TV. That's why I'm frustrated. No sound when I switch to the PS3.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

First, are you sure it isn't just natural male balding? They do have surgery to replace lost hair.

Those funky white cables that you got two of in your box - they are left and right channels. One side plugs into the KRP and the other side that looks like a thick wire is designed to clip into the optional side speakers for the KRP. You can get a line level converter from amazon or other sources typically anywhere from $25-75ish. This is so that you can use other speakers than the ones they come with. You best bet would probably be to get a cheapo HDMI switch to plug any extra HDMI (if you have more than 2 devices using it) into your KRP and then output via the white cables -> line level converter (to rca) -> reciever's rca input.

I guess another possibility would be if you could find something to convert hdmi audio into optical, coaxial, or multi-rca before it hit the receiver. I don't know if such products exist though (beyond the obvious one called a receiver).

Thank you for the reply dlplover.

I already have an HDMI switch at the house. However, I'm not using it in this current set up. My thought was that the reciever would be able to handle the same function - would it not?

I have everything routed through the reciever. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why the sound works for everything except the blueray.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM

i would suggest disconnecting it, and first try a simple set up to make sure the ps3 is sending sound properly. Then, go step by step and check the speaker wires to make sure they are hooked up right, the receiver is in the right mode, and anything else you are using is properly functioning

If at first you don't succeed, then I guess thats it for skydiving.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news. It appears that this isn't as cheap a receiver as I initially assumed that only did pass-through and no decoding. I found the following for you on an amazon review concerning the PS3 issue:

Quote:

2nd issue:
The 1019 WILL NOT pass through HDMI from my Sony PlayStation 3! The PS3 is an excellent Blu-Ray disk player. All 4 VSR-1019 HDMI input ports work properly with my DirecTV DVR passing 1080i through to my Samsung 1080p LCD. However, the 1019 will not play audio nor pass through video from the PS3 HDMI on any input port. Per some online forums (for receivers and PS3s in general) I tried adjusting various resolution and frame rate settings on the PS3 and the 1019 - to no avail. As a result I've had to run the PS3 HDMI cable directly to my HDTV for video and run digital optical cable from the PS3 to the 1019 for audio. The PS3 only delivers 5.1 audio on its digital output as opposed to 7.1 via its HDMI output, so I've lost my rear surrounds, although I think the 1019 will try to recreate the rear surrounds using the Dolby Digital EX setting. Disappointing and unnecessarily complex. If anyone knows of a fix for this problem please post a reply to this review.

Third issue, and maybe this is just my lack of understanding, is that it is unclear how the 4 primary buttons (on the receiver front and on the remote) work to select the sound processing. Button 1 gives you Auto Surround. Button 2 gives you stereo options, Button 3 gives you manual selection of various Dolby, DTS and Neural THX options. Button 4 gives you pre-set options, like acoustic, drama, action, TV surround and several more. So, are these completely independent or do they interact? For example if I select Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie with button 3, and then "Action" using button 4, is it applying an effect to Dolby IIx or doing something else? Not clear in the manual.

The VSX-1019 delivers great sound, after a lot of work. In reading the HK AVR-354 manual, the HK looked to be so much simpler to set up and operate - more user friendly than the Pioneer. But, in the end the HKs firmware issues forced me to the Pioneer. No regrets.

UPDATE:
It appears that the HDMI handshake is affected by power on sequence. Powering up the VSX-1019 before the PS3 seems to have resolved the HDMI interface issue (#2 above). Will have to see if that consistently works.

Try it and see if it works. If it doesn't try playing with the audio settings changing the format it's outputting and then reset the PS3 each time so you're sure it's establishing a new connection each time.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again dlplover.

I will try the power up sequencing to see if that works.

Also, just to be clear. The way I have everything currently set up (in a vacuum, considering all wires/ports are functioning properly), is the correct way. Am I right?
post #9 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Also, if anyone thinks it would be easier, more user friendly option, I'd be happy to pony up the extra $200 for the next step up Pioneer Elite receiver. Just didn't think I'd really need the extra bells and whistles being that I won't be using this reciever in a home theater room. Just a wide open living room set up.

Thanks for any/all opinions.

Mike
post #10 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Did you tell the PS3 to output sound (audio) via HDMI?

There's a setting for this.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Did you tell the PS3 to output sound (audio) via HDMI?

There's a setting for this.

I believe that I made that change last night but I'll double check after work today. Thanks!
post #12 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitek21 View Post

Also, if anyone thinks it would be easier, more user friendly option, I'd be happy to pony up the extra $200 for the next step up Pioneer Elite receiver. Just didn't think I'd really need the extra bells and whistles being that I won't be using this reciever in a home theater room. Just a wide open living room set up.

Thanks for any/all opinions.

Mike

I sure the reciever is fine. Just some settings somewhere.

Kagolu
post #13 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

I sure the reciever is fine. Just some settings somewhere.

Thank you!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I suggest running an hdmi cable directly from the PS3 to the tv and see if you get sound from the tv. If it works, then the problem is the receiver. If not, the problem is probably the ps3.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I suggest running an hdmi cable directly from the PS3 to the tv and see if you get sound from the tv. If it works, then the problem is the receiver. If not, the problem is probably the ps3.

500M doesnt have speakers unless he bought them for it. So that idea wont work. It sounds like a settin issue probably within the PS3 or a hand shake issue as stated earlier. But your hook up is the "theoretical" correct setup. HDMI from PS3 and Cable box to receiver and HDMI out to your TV.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post

500M doesnt have speakers unless he bought them for it. So that idea wont work. It sounds like a settin issue probably within the PS3 or a hand shake issue as stated earlier. But your hook up is the "theoretical" correct setup. HDMI from PS3 and Cable box to receiver and HDMI out to your TV.

Correct - the only speaker that I currently have connected to the system is a Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Got home today and went the the power up sequencing of components. Solved the issue. Apparently it was just a a handshake issue.

Can't thank y'all enough for the feedback. I know it might have seemed like simple advice to you all but it meant a lot to me. I was really starting to get frustrated with what was seemingly a simple setup.

- Mike
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page