Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygrizwald View Post

speeddmon: I did go into the Wii setting and turn on the anti image retention. I'm guessing that couldn't hurt.

Bummer having to wait till April for another TV. These seem to see out quite fast but Samsung seems to be doing a decent job pumping them out.

SCREWS: I was so tempted to get my power drill and just power all the screws in but I was afraid I would have stripped them. All I can say is that I put a lot of pressure on the screw and just went slow. I ended up switching screw drivers as the first one was a little too fat and couldn't grip the head that well? Anyway....Samsung needs to fix this ASAP.

Well looks like I'm getting my tv (again) tomorrow. I'm going to have them hook it up before i leave the store to make sure everything is ok. Then I get to try to screw in the stand again (FuN!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Just got my C450 in 42". First thing I noticed sitting on the floor with a rug is a slight buzz. Not an issue there. Up on the table in the entertainment unit makes a difference. Buzz is louder, but I can only hear it at my seat position with no sound and turning my head to one side. With sound through ths sound system, its not noticable.

Screws for the stand were tough to get in, but took my time with good screwdriver and just snugged all screws. All was well. TV does tilt upward or backward a little. Placed a rolled up cloth under the rear of the stand and checked with a level. Not an issue.

Reflections. Tons. This thing is like a mirror. I thought it might be though. I tried Lost during the day. Cant watch in its current, easy, made for break in settings. Going to std from the custom movie settings and setting cell to 8 helps some. This will be what I need to experiment on.

Standard definition looks great. I cant get over how good it looks. HD from my local OTA is really great. I have not did an A-B test yet. Looking forward to it.

So to sum it up, reflections are an issue during the day and even at 6:00pm EDT but I will need to try different settings and it should get better. All else looks good.
post #273 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Im seriously considering buying this tv with the main purpose being for gaming. But Im afraid of IR to some extent, and now am more concerned about phosphor trails. That might be a deal breaker worse than any image blur Id get on an LCD. Has anyone else noticed phosphor trails on this model?

I own one smaller sized LCD that Ive only played slow strategy games on, and have never owned a Plasma before.

Are phosphor trails an issue on all Plasmas to varying degrees? And how much so on this one? I dont know if Im sensitive to them or not and never knew of them till a few moments ago. Sorry if Im asking in the wrong place. But this is the plasma Im most interested in.
post #274 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Here are my current settings, they are a combo of my old settings and Leetthal's. My settings are a little cooler than his and has less of the "green" look that the warm color temp is famous for. It also greatly eliminated the black level fluctuations.

What settings are best for the break in period and for how long?
post #275 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

What settings are best for the break in period and for how long?

I have used the Settings i posted since day one. I have nothing but a Xbox 360 hooked up to it. All i use this Plasma for is Gaming.

No issues what so ever.
post #276 of 1734 Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

I have used the Settings i posted since day one. I have nothing but a Xbox 360 hooked up to it. All i use this Plasma for is Gaming.

No issues what so ever.

Do you notice trailing? Because I plan on mostly using this for my 360.
post #277 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Dream View Post

I game on PS3 only (360 disc drive is pretty much dead and the Wii is burried under some dust) there is Phospher trailing, but it isn't as bad as the Kuro that I had, but it is worse than the 2009 Panasonic models.

And for the settings question above. I don't believe in a break-in period, there is no reason to baby a TV during your return period, treat it like you stole it and try and get those problems to show themselves. It is a lot easier to get a refund from a retailer than it is from Samsung. I have been using settings very close to the settings on my first post from day one, find some settings that look good to you and stick with them, tweaking them as the set ages.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #278 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 PM

I dont have this tv but probably will. I probably will take out a warranty and break it in. But as Ill be watching a lot of sports (static score display) and gaming (HUDs), I figure Ill be doing a lot of IR washing with images afterwards, and Ill quickly clock tons of hours on this thing doing that. My warranty wont cover burn in, so Ill want to avoid that. But should I break this tv down by posting excessive hours on it, I should still be golden. Thats my plan as of now.
post #279 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Dream View Post

The first 50-100 hours i noticed abit but way less than the Panasonic S1 i had. Now after 100+hours i don't see none anymore.
post #280 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 02:55 PM

How do you get the Fleshtone = 0 option to work. My menu shows it but it is locked out.
post #281 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Fiddle with lowering the brightness and contrast levels, to see if that reduces the buzzing level. Samsung says that it does. You may have the brightness at a high level, since you say that it looks good during the daytime.

Be sure to check with Amazon before letting Samsung work on the set. A lot of places will not allow a return or replacement, once a set has being worked on. You do not want to get caught in that trap, should Samsung not solve the problem

I do not notice buzzing on my Samsung C450 at lower brightness levels, sitting 8-10 feet from it at normal volume levels. I can barely hear it when muted at that distance. If I turn the cell light up, it becomes more noticeable. I have my cell light at 3 and brightness at 56, and its bright enough for me. I've run several different setups recommended by other users on my C450, and they are way too bright for my tastes. Tastes differ, however.

TV content also makes a big difference. A bright white background will cause the buzz to get noticeably louder, versus darker content. It is still not a big deal to me.

The 1080i judder issues I mentioned several pages back in this post are still an issue, and I will be returning this set to Best Buy. It continues to periodically judder on 1080i content; sometimes terribly. I have not had any issues on stations with a 720p signal. I think the scaler in my set is defective. I hope to get another c450 and not have any issues, as I think this set has the best PQ/size ratio for the buck that I have seen. Unfortunately, my local store is out at the moment.
post #282 of 1734 Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I game on PS3 only (360 disc drive is pretty much dead and the Wii is burried under some dust) there is Phospher trailing, but it isn't as bad as the Kuro that I had, but it is worse than the 2009 Panasonic models.

And for the settings question above. I don't believe in a break-in period, there is no reason to baby a TV during your return period, treat it like you stole it and try and get those problems to show themselves. It is a lot easier to get a refund from a retailer than it is from Samsung. I have been using settings very close to the settings on my first post from day one, find some settings that look good to you and stick with them, tweaking them as the set ages.

Well I've got mine set up and everything and it is definitely a buzzer. I don't know if I'm taking it back or not. Hopefully it'll become white noise to me soon and I won't have to worry about it. Other than that everything is fine. Broke a screw off in one of the stand holes trying to get it in, so going to call samsung about that for sure. It's ridiculous putting it together. The 4 screws on the back of tv aren't all the way in either, I just gave up. I guess I'll just look for a tv stand that has the hanging adapter attached to it. I did the settings like Letthal has and was wondering if you use those settings for regular tv viewing as well as gaming and movie setting? Or do you use different settings for regular tv.
post #283 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Well I've got mine set up and everything and it is definitely a buzzer. I don't know if I'm taking it back or not. Hopefully it'll become white noise to me soon and I won't have to worry about it. Other than that everything is fine. Broke a screw off in one of the stand holes trying to get it in, so going to call samsung about that for sure. It's ridiculous putting it together. The 4 screws on the back of tv aren't all the way in either, I just gave up. I guess I'll just look for a tv stand that has the hanging adapter attached to it. I did the settings like Letthal has and was wondering if you use those settings for regular tv viewing as well as gaming and movie setting? Or do you use different settings for regular tv.

Just got mine yesterday, the PN42C450, from Sears. Great price, BTW, let's all remember what prices for this technology used to be just a couple years ago! Anyways, I digress. I spent months looking for a quality set for the bedroom, knowing I didn't want to have the latest/greatest, but also wanted good quality. The room is fairly light-controlled, although some light definitely filters in through the blinds. Viewing angle and night-time viewing quality were my biggest needs, so I went with plasma over LCD. LED just too pricey right now to justify IMHO.

My biggest concerns were the buzzing and screen reflectivity. I would say there definitely is a "hum", but not the coarse "buzz" that I've read about and seen with my friend's B550. It's worse directly in front of the screen. I have the cell light at 8, contrast 70, brightness 50, and still can hear it when muted. But it quickly disappears if off angle by even 10 degrees, and isn't noticeable at normal audio volumes from the set. I'd say that if I didn't consciously know about the humming/buzzing beforehand, chances are low I would even notice today.

As for the reflectivity, I think it's VERY reflective screen, comparable to my 27" iMac. Kind of annoying, but only during the daytime, which doesn't matter to me as I'm not watching bedroom tv during the day. On the good side though, I don't sense the black levels dropping off significantly with lights on in the room (to my eye anyways). Of course, I'm coming from a 50" DLP, so anything would impress me in this regard!

Can't speak to IR, as I do very little gaming. Did play TW2009 (he's a stud) for a few hours, without any problem.

Thanks for the settings everybody, they made the picture go from blah to great!
post #284 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 06:50 AM

I wanted to post a follow-up comment on the "black lines" issue. There is a sort-of screen-door effect when viewing this at 1-2 feet. I'm happy to accept this, since #1 I don't watch TV anywhere near this distance, and #2: I kind of expected this from a 720P set. There are only so many pixels, right?

For me, these lines are not apparent at all starting around 4' from the screen. (I have 20/10 vision without glasses.) So for me, it's a non-issue.

To summarize, I'm completely happy with my purchase, especially since the cost/benefit ratio with this set is huge. I wouldn't personally use this set as a primary tv (need something bigger) or for a home theater, but its perfect for my bedroom. I'm amazed what you can get for around 5xx bucks!
post #285 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Well looks like I'm getting my tv (again) tomorrow. I'm going to have them hook it up before i leave the store to make sure everything is ok. Then I get to try to screw in the stand again (FuN!)

Probably a good idea to set it up in store to make sure it's doing what you want it to do. I hope it works for you this time. Boy I'm really loving this TV more and more each day.
post #286 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Just a little update. We did our first on demand movie rental HD last night. It looked great, just like a movie theator. No jutter or pixalation at all.

IR: After an hour of Wii gaming I saw my first case of image retention. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I wasn't standing right next to the TV. It was really faint and that was when it had no signal (totally black screen) I most likely would not have seen it if I was sitting on my couch. I ran the scroll bar tool and it was gone after about
15 passes. So it really wasn't an issue. I"m sure even if I didn't run the tool it would have gone away under normal viewing. So yes you
may experience IR but it's not a big deal IMOP
post #287 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
BB just swapped me the 50C450, they initially sold me a B450 by mistake. The Manager apologized for the mix-up and I must say that the shipping box was lighter/smaller than the B450 one. Must be because this has a single piece of glass vs the B450, which has 2.

I set this up in our bedroom & with all the lights on there is definitely a lot of reflection, but easily managed by a simple flick of the switch and all is well. I'm doing it right this time with the breaking-in of this PDP, of which I didn't do a very good job with my LG50PQ30 out in the living room. What I like about the Sammy is that it has the horizontal fill, LG doesn't have this, only cinema zoom. And with horizontal fill everything looks good, NOT stretched. Black levels look decent enough right out of the box, as does the PQ. I'll be looking to try your settings after the 100-200 break in period. Unfortunately, like others have mentioned, this model doesn't have the swivel stand like last years model or my current LG, but not such a big deal in the bedroom. The menu system looks very comparable to last years B models, not really any significant changes from what I can tell.

I talked to a Sammy CSR & they're looking to upload the current specifications to their website sometime next month. It'll be interesting to see what the contrast ratio is compared to last year's models.
post #288 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM

damn this buzzing is bothering me something terrible. my brother says it doesn't bother him. It's my tv so I don't know if I should keep it or take it back to hhgregg again.
post #289 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What are the recommended break-in settings?

Currently i have:

P Mode=STD
Contrast=70
Brightness=50
Cell Backlight=5

Of course I am only viewing content which takes up the whole screen. I have "Pixel" shifter/orbitter, or whatever they call it set to "ON".

Keep it like this for 100-200 hours right & then bump it up to whatever.
post #290 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM

So far so good for me. It will take some getting used to with the reflections. The 27" CRT I used to use caused the reflections to be small. This flat screen makes the reflections full size.

All in all, im real happy with it. Daytime viewing for me is not as good as I wanted, but at night, its real good. I saw enough shows in HD and SD that I can see the difference. HD is pretty good. SD is not bad really. We even watched a VHS tape not too long ago for my daughter. Not bad really. Not good, but not too bad.
post #291 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:

damn this buzzing is bothering me something terrible. my brother says it doesn't bother him. It's my tv so I don't know if I should keep it or take it back to hhgregg again.

Just exchanged mine at HHGregg because of the dead pixel...this new one buzzes significantly worse and isnt a consistent buzz - it changes and gets louder on darker content...I think I'll be calling Samsung
post #292 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryant100 View Post

The 1080i judder issues I mentioned several pages back in this post are still an issue, and I will be returning this set to Best Buy. It continues to periodically judder on 1080i content; sometimes terribly. I have not had any issues on stations with a 720p signal. I think the scaler in my set is defective. I hope to get another c450 and not have any issues, as I think this set has the best PQ/size ratio for the buck that I have seen. Unfortunately, my local store is out at the moment.

dnr = auto
post #293 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I had the 450c

I just took mine back and exchanged it for the panasonic c2. The panasonic is as quiet as can be. However, the picture doesn't suck by any means but the Samsung looked way better, especially right out of the box.

If I knew I would get one that doesn't buzz I would have got another Samsung.
post #294 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Just exchanged mine at HHGregg because of the dead pixel...this new one buzzes significantly worse and isnt a consistent buzz - it changes and gets louder on darker content...I think I'll be calling Samsung

Let me know what they say. Are you going to keep it or exchange it again? Another annoying thing I found is that through my hddvr the signal changes from 1080i to 720p when I switch input sources. For example if I switch from the box to play my wii and go back to the box the signal automatically changes to 720p from 1080i. It doesn't really change the quality that I can see but it is annoying nonetheless.
post #295 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM

I own a PN42B450 and my girl wanted to get one too.. but this is the model they have out there now. My question is.. for people who arent super serious about their TVs and were pretty impressed by the B model.. is this C model going to be just fine?
post #296 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

dnr = auto

Are you referring to Digital Noise Reduction (Filter)? I had it on high. I'll see if this helps. Really pleased with the TV otherwise (especially at this pricepoint), but the judder is driving me crazy. When I'm watching it, I'm just waiting for it to happen.
post #297 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM

yes. The C would be fine for the casual watcher. They are selling the B for the same price at best buy FYI
post #298 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM

can someone please measure the length of the stand?
post #299 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbaya19 View Post

can someone please measure the length of the stand?

23" x 11"
post #300 of 1734 Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRasta View Post

23" x 11"

thanks! is that the 42"? Thats the one I'm looking at
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags