post #361 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Look at my more recent post...Found my old box and it was not NY02 it was still IY02 in 42". So no panel lottery....

I must have missed that post, I deleted my post to avoid causing confusion.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have issue with glare from any light being on in the room. I am returning my C model for last years B model today. My tv is in a lower level with one window. I can see stars reflecting at night in the tv when it is turned off and and when the screen is showing dark images. Lamps make it unwatchable IMHO.
post #363 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Dream View Post

I like watching tv in a lit room. If I position my floor lamp (or floor lamps) against a wall behind this tv, would it cast reflections?

It potentially could cast reflections of surfaces (white wall, glass pictures etc) behind the viewing area if the light is bright enough. A dim light behind the TV shouldn't be an issue.
post #364 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Well the Tech. I talked to did say the buzz will reduce in volume after the first 200hrs, once the set has broken in..so its possible. It just makes me think that if I had kept my other mild buzzer, it would have gone down even more to be virtually silent.

My dead pixel was dark blue in color and sat right in the upper right part of the screen - easily spotted against a white background when up close, but not an issue at normal distances unless I was looking for it. I'm not sure dead pixels can be white though...but I'm not positive...

Well I took mine back today and got another one. It's funny when they plugged it in it wouldn't come on at all but it was playing fine right before i put it back in the box. Anyway I asked for a nyo2 but they didn't have any so they gave me a iy01 and I have a buzzer, but it's not as loud as the other one. It is really apparent when I sit on the left side of the tv but barely audible on the right side. I have my tv facing me catacornered about 2-3 feet from the wall. May change it to straight back against the wall or sit on the right side of the chair. Crossing my fingers that nothing else happens.Anyone else have an IY01?
post #365 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Any one else with a 42" model notice the touch of color white light not working on your model?

my parents have the larger model and the middle shines white when the panel is on and turns off when the tv turns off.
post #366 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM

OK finally got it. Mine is a 50" PN50C450 and it's NY02 and NO BUZZ AT ALL.
post #367 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
wow so no lotto then praise the lord. I will have to look into these then
post #368 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Two straight exchangers with two non-buzzers...now my hopes are up pretty high that I exchange mine for a non-buzzer...I may have them plug it in at the store/back room but I'm worried it might either be too loud to hear the buzz, or I'd be worried transporting it raw cause I'm not sure if it'll be easily repacked.
post #369 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM

can someone post some more screens?
post #370 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Two straight exchangers with two non-buzzers...now my hopes are up pretty high that I exchange mine for a non-buzzer...I may have them plug it in at the store/back room but I'm worried it might either be too loud to hear the buzz, or I'd be worried transporting it raw cause I'm not sure if it'll be easily repacked.

I don't see it being an issue if you want to check it out at the store. If the tv is going to buzz loudly then you'll just need to be in close proximity to be able to tell.

Also, if you're going to test it out at the store then I wouldn't even take it fully out of the box. Take the outside off then search for the power cable, then plug it in and see if the tv buzzes. After that all you have to do is put the locks back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbaya19 View Post

can someone post some more screens?

I'll have mine up tomorrow for sure. Been so busy with work.

I'll take some with the tv off and try to get some good pics of how reflective it is. Then I'll toss a couple blu rays in.
post #371 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:

The people at my hhgregg did it themselves and did it with the just the top box off and put it back on no problem. I didn't have them check my latest tv for buzzing cause I wasn't sure I'd here it with all the other noise/tv's going at the same time. Hope it works for you. Also one of the workers recommended a 3 stage surge protector which is supposed to suppress noise and improve picture quality. Anyone heard of this or know of a cheap one if so. I only see a $300 monster surge 3 stage filter.
post #372 of 1732 Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

I have a NY02 Model. Its 50"

No Buzzing, PQ is amazing
post #373 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:

I've been through 2 c450s....On one of them I couldn't get the screws flush, but the TV was still plenty secure - wobbly if wiggled, but still secure. The set I just exchanged, all the screws fit in flush - if it bothers you I'd call Samsung and ask for a replacement backing/stand.

Let us know when you get things running with the set and what version/buzz you have...

I ended up using a bunch of washers in between the screws and the panel to make it more secure. It is a lot better now and I'm comfortable with that. However, it seems odd that the hardest part of the setup involved low-tech screws.

I have a 42" IY02 and it definitely has a very high-pitch buzz when I get close to the screen. From a normal viewing distance, I hardly ever notice it. I would say the most distracting thing to me is not the buzzing but how much reflection there is coming from the screen. At night, I definitely have to turn off one of my lights in front of the TV to alleviate the problem. I'm not going to take it back and overall am very happy with the set.
post #374 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 AM

I received mine (50") yesterday. Mine's NY02 and no buzz.
PQ is great and remote is much better (wish it had a backlight ) than my A400 that looks like a cheap generic $10 remote.
I was somewhat excited about less energy consumption, but all it did was it dimmed the screen. Well, at least I have an option. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.
Also, no issue whatsoever with the screwing the TV stand.
post #375 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Hay PN42C450 users I have a question. I have the 50" PN50C450. Samsung has finally put up "official" specs on there website for the 42" (but not the 50"????). I noticed that the 42" has ConnectShare Movie. However the 50" only has ConnectShare JPEG.

I found this kind of strange considering they are the same model but just different screen sizes 42" and 50". I went online and chatted with Samsung support and she confirmed that the 50" does not support ConnectShare Movie.

Have any of you 42" owners used this feature? According to Samsung you can just plug in a USB drive or USB connected hard drive and play movies. What video files does it support? Does it even work?

The support person said they "may" do a firmware update to get the 50" to support Movie mode. I sure hope they do that. Doesn't seem to make much sense to cripple my 50" when the 42" is the same model #?
post #376 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygrizwald View Post

Hay PN42C450 users I have a question. I have the 50" PN50C450. Samsung has finally put up "official" specs on there website for the 42" (but not the 50"????). I noticed that the 42" has ConnectShare Movie. However the 50" only has ConnectShare JPEG.

I found this kind of strange considering they are the same model but just different screen sizes 42" and 50". I went online and chatted with Samsung support and she confirmed that the 50" does not support ConnectShare Movie.

Have any of you 42" owners used this feature? According to Samsung you can just plug in a USB drive or USB connected hard drive and play movies. What video files does it support? Does it even work?

I think Samsung's website may have it backwards...I thought only the 550 models had movie capability and the 450 only jpeg...

The support person said they "may" do a firmware update to get the 50" to support Movie mode. I sure hope they do that. Doesn't seem to make much sense to cripple my 50" when the 42" is the same model #?

Odd...my 42" owners manual totes "ConnectShare JPEG" ...not movie....hmmm...does your owners manual mention connectshare jpeg or movie?
post #377 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Odd...my 42" owners manual totes "ConnectShare JPEG" ...not movie....hmmm...does your owners manual mention connectshare jpeg or movie?

Funny. I looked in my manual that they call it "Media Play" no mention at all about the official Samsung term "ConnectShare JPEG". But it does the same thing (look at pictures or play music)

I downloaded the user manual for the PN42C450 from Samsung's website and it says the same thing mine does "Media Play". No mention of Movie support either.

However if you go to the website it clearly states that the PN42C450 has ConnectShare Movie

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

What's going on???
post #378 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Connectshare Movie - I believe they are playing with wording...they might say that you can connect a video camera to the usb and play your movie through there?? Just my two cents.
post #379 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues96 View Post

Connectshare Movie - I believe they are playing with wording...they might say that you can connect a video camera to the usb and play your movie through there?? Just my two cents.

Right from the website: "Connect. Share. Watch. By simply plugging your USB or HDD directly into your Samsung TV you can easily take movies, music and photos you downloaded from your PCand watch them on the big screen with friends and family. Take photos and videos from your camera and share them with everyone instantly. With ConnectShare Movie, you really don't need any connections to get on TV."

To me they are clearly making the statement that you can play a movie off of a HDD "DIRECTLY" to your Samsung TV. It even says "downloaded from you PC", indicating that you pull it off of your PC and put it on a USB (thumb drive) or external HDD and play that movie directly on the TV (without the use of a PC or camcorder).

With the case of connecting a camcorder you would be connecting that via an HDMI (if available on your camcorder) or composite connection and not via the USB connection. They are clearly (IMOP) stating that you can play movies loaded on a hard drive or USB drive directly from the USB port on your TV.

Sorry for going on and on about this but I am considering buying the Western Digital TV Live (WDTV Live) for playing movies. But if this feature does the same thing It would save me $110.00.

Any of you PN42C450 users have this feature or is this just a wild goose chase?
post #380 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygrizwald View Post

What's going on???

Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.
post #381 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.

Boooooooooooooo

They need to update the website then.
post #382 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I got home too late so I couldn't get any good pictures of the glare.

And to be honest, these pictures suck. I tried 2 different digital cameras and I couldn't figure out how to get crystal clear images. I must need a d-slr or something.

Anyway, here are the pics I took. I'm almost afraid to post them because I don't want someone to be swayed by them. The tv really does have fantastic PQ.

post #383 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Good lord the pics are horrible.

What can I do to take better quality pics, or is this as good as it gets with the tools I have?
post #384 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Third c450 is in my room, and I'm happy to report that the buzz/hum is verrry minimal - exactly the volume/pitch of my first c450, and significantly less than my 2nd c450. IY02 again here - confirms there is NO panel lottery going on.

1) I was getting worried as my local HHGregg manager claimed he couldn't continue exchanging new sets for others in my situation (this was my 3rd after all). He even claimed someone earlier in the day exchanged the c450 due to a "hum".....Glad this worked out. PQ on this set is excellent, and while they were getting the other TV from the back I decided to take a gander at options 2 and 3. The Panasonic S2 and the LG pj350...came away preferring the PQ of the c450 in numerous areas.

2) HHGregg upped the price of the 42" instore by 40 bucks - equal in price to that of BB and Sears for the same size/model. Bought it at just the right time a few weeks ago and with the extra $50 off coupon too.

EDIT: Upon close inspection, realized that the hum from the TV is lessened even more when the pic is in "Standard" mode vs my personal pref. of Movie mode. Std. mode seems brighter to me than Movie mode (even tho Std. apparently reaches new energy star stds), but color accuracy is off and its so bright and overexposed that it looks similar to my LCD in this mode. If anyone out there is stuck with a loud buzzer, you could try getting used to the brighter, cooler Standard mode as it may lessen the buzz.
post #385 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Third c450 is in my room, and I'm happy to report that the buzz/hum is verrry minimal - exactly the volume/pitch of my first c450, and significantly less than my 2nd c450. IY02 again here - confirms there is NO panel lottery going on.

1) I was getting worried as my local HHGregg manager claimed he couldn't continue exchanging new sets for others in my situation (this was my 3rd after all). He even claimed someone earlier in the day exchanged the c450 due to a "hum".....Glad this worked out. PQ on this set is excellent, and while they were getting the other TV from the back I decided to take a gander at options 2 and 3. The Panasonic S2 and the LG pj350...came away preferring the PQ of the c450 in numerous areas.

2) HHGregg upped the price of the 42" instore by 40 bucks - equal in price to that of BB and Sears for the same size/model. Bought it at just the right time with the extra $50 off coupon too.

You're not in orlando are you? If so it was probably me lol. Glad yours is working out too. I know they upped the price since last week so it's a crapshoot but they still do offer that $50 coupon.
post #386 of 1732 Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM

thanks for the pics. Is that screen door effect in the pics visible in person or from a 5 foot distance?
post #387 of 1732 Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:

thanks for the pics. Is that screen door effect in the pics visible in person or from a 5 foot distance?

That is an artifact from the camera, not SDE..
post #388 of 1732 Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

No not at all. This is why I was apprehensive to post them.

Maybe it would be better off if I took them down, haha!

Quote:

That is an artifact from the camera, not SDE..

So how do I go about taking clear pics?
post #389 of 1732 Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM

I finally got my PN50C450 and no buzz and pics was so sweet...watching the basketball last night I'm like damn...you can clearly see the players sweat..LOL
post #390 of 1732 Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Stepping back, it seems like we're getting a lot of ppl with minimal/no buzz....

Going to pick up another 42c450 for a family member later tonight that had been looking at LCDs......
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page