Samsung PNXXc450 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1732 Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I have the 50c450 and had to replace it after less than 2 weeks. I had a 1' x 1" section on the bottom left side of random dead/stuck pixels. I did no break in period and used the settings found on this thread. It happened after I watched Spiderman 3 on bluray.
Bestbuy took it back with no questions asked and gave me another one. I love the color and clarity of this plasma but i'm still worried that it will happen again.

I do have 2 questions:

Do I have to watch movies in formats that take up the whole screen?
When hooking up my PS3, on video settings when you choose hdmi it goes to an automatic setting at 1080p. Can I use this setting?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1732 Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Okay. Just set up my new samsung pn42c450. I was back and forth with it and the LG 42pj350. Went with the samsung because the LG was out of stock. Anyway, initial impressions are the PQ is great and the appearance of the tv is attractive.

I could NOT get the screws into the damn thing. Not by hand or with a drill. I finally just went to the garage and got some slightly smaller screws.

As far as buzzing. I have the IY02. If I put my ear up to it I can certainly hear a buzz, which is plasma normal. When I step back a few feet, I honestly don't know if I hear a buzz or not because I can't tell if it's just in my head, lol. After reading this thread, I was expecting a buzz so I literally can't tell! After sitting here for several minutes typing this on my iPhone, I cannot hear a buzz...atleast not over normal volume watching the Braves game.

Let me know if anyone has a question and I will try to update this post after the tv had a few hours on it.
post #453 of 1732 Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I think with gaming people will see IR no matter what brand of plasma they have. It seems IR has gotten better over the years, but each plasma manufacturer has only made small progress with IR from year to year, not major leaps. This leads me to believe IR is what it is from brand to brand, and manufacturers dont want to compromise their establish PQ to make large progress with IR... Panasonic seems the best, with Samsung just a touch better than LG

Exactly, Plasmas get IR, its that simple.
post #454 of 1732 Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 PM

I just set mine up today too. I eventually got the screws flush in, but almost gave up, and had to have two people help me steady and line the sides up while i screwed it in place. I notice if I look at it from the side, my tv appears to lean slightly back. Is it supposed to do that? Its not majorly and doesnt appear wrong to me.

My panel is an NY02. Some high pitch sound, but nothing very noticeable. Its easily heard in silence but it isnt very loud at all. The pitch is more annoying than the volume.

Currently running that DVD of rotating colors to get a jump start on the break in process.
post #455 of 1732 Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Dream View Post

I just set mine up today too. I eventually got the screws flush in, but almost gave up, and had to have two people help me steady and line the sides up while i screwed it in place. I notice if I look at it from the side, my tv appears to lean slightly back. Is it supposed to do that? Its not majorly and doesnt appear wrong to me.

My panel is an NY02. Some high pitch sound, but nothing very noticeable. Its easily heard in silence but it isnt very loud at all. The pitch is more annoying than the volume.

Currently running that DVD of rotating colors to get a jump start on the break in process.

It probably has something to do with the way you screwed in the stand. ON my first samsung I couldn't get the screws all the way down so the tv leaned forward but when I put it on my tv stand I couldn't tell. On my replacement I got the screws all the way down on the stand so it doesn't lean (note I used a drill bit open the thread in the holes first). But I still didn't get the four screws in the back of tv all the way it and it holds up fine.
post #456 of 1732 Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Dream View Post

I have a block between my tv and the wall to keep it straight up. the Stand on this Samsung Suck!
post #457 of 1732 Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Just picked up a PN42C450 yesterday for the bedroom. The Buzz is annoying, but for the price I guess I can't complain. I just to spoiled from my main tv which is the LN52A750. No buzz. But more expensive as well. Picture is very good on the PN42C450 but the buzz ugg. It doesn't get turned up loud because we have 2 kids that go to bed early so I only have the tv sound on 2. So I can hear it. But For the price I paid sub 500. I guess I shouldn't complain.
post #458 of 1732 Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeitaudi View Post

Just picked up a PN42C450 yesterday for the bedroom. The Buzz is annoying, but for the price I guess I can't complain. I just to spoiled from my main tv which is the LN52A750. No buzz. But more expensive as well. Picture is very good on the PN42C450 but the buzz ugg. It doesn't get turned up loud because we have 2 kids that go to bed early so I only have the tv sound on 2. So I can hear it. But For the price I paid sub 500. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Exchange it.
post #459 of 1732 Old 04-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrice1976 View Post

If any one is interested I had a chance to sit down this evening with my DVE calibration disc , and tweak my PN42C430 to the best of my ability. The picture improved quite a bit from the default settings . I had originally dialed it in to some settings that I found for the B450 , but they were far too red and the contrast level caused my set to activate some sort of peak brightness limiter. After a couple hours of getting everything optimized here are the settings I came up with-------------
  • Advanced Settings
  • Black Tone - Off
  • Dynamic Contrast - Off
  • Gamma - 0
  • Color Space - Auto
  • White Balance - Default
  • Flesh Tone - 0
  • Edge Enhancement - Off
  • Picture Options
  • Color Tone - Warm-2 (Yielded most accurate color)
  • Size - 16:9
  • Digital Noise Filter - Off
  • HDMI Black Level - Normal
  • Film Mode - Auto
  • Screen Burn Protection 4-4-1
  • Mode - Movie ( only mode that allows Warm-2 temperature)
  • Cell Light - 10
  • Contrast - 77 ( any higher engages brightness limiter in bright scenes)
  • Brightness - 62
  • Sharpness - 10
  • Color - 49
  • Tint - G45/R55

I've found a torrent for both the dve and avia2 calibration disc. I'm thinking of downloading one, which do you suggest?
post #460 of 1732 Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 PM

I took the C2 back and got another Samsung. This one I have to stick my head within a foot of the screen to hear it...so far.

I just kept trying to tell myself that the c2 looked good, but after the Samsung it looked crappy. Crossing my fingers.

This time I got to see the two on the wall with only one tv between them, the Samsung is much clearer, I guess the pixel count on the C2 really hurts it.
post #461 of 1732 Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post

Exchange it.

Question will it really make that much of a difference?
post #462 of 1732 Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post

Exchange it.

Yep. Just called the store. Will exchange it on Monday. Good thing it isn't overly heavy.
post #463 of 1732 Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 PM

where are you guys buying these sets from?
post #464 of 1732 Old 04-10-2010, 04:31 PM

I got mine from Best Buy, they have been great about it but I think I have returned enough of them now.
post #465 of 1732 Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyman5001 View Post

I took the C2 back and got another Samsung. This one I have to stick my head within a foot of the screen to hear it...so far.

I just kept trying to tell myself that the c2 looked good, but after the Samsung it looked crappy. Crossing my fingers.

This time I got to see the two on the wall with only one tv between them, the Samsung is much clearer, I guess the pixel count on the C2 really hurts it.

I believe both sets have the same pixel count (for 720p models). Although the 50ers have more pixels than the 42s, whatever size 720p plasma you get it will have the same # of pixels brand to brand. The difference is either in Samsung's video processing or differences in dither to explain the cleaner image on the Samsung.
post #466 of 1732 Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I believe both sets have the same pixel count (for 720p models). Although the 50ers have more pixels than the 42s, whatever size 720p plasma you get it will have the same # of pixels brand to brand. The difference is either in Samsung's video processing or differences in dither to explain the cleaner image on the Samsung.

I am not sure actually, I read this thread and I don't think there was a conclusive answer but it sure looked worse. Maybe it was all in my mind, if so my mind is over it now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18319829
post #467 of 1732 Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anyone who has gotten one of these sets can comment on use as computer monitor? I don't plan on using as a dedicated monitor, but I do like to be able to watch ESPN360/hulu/etc. on the TV over HDMI. I remember previous 720p sets (forget which ones) having issues with rectangular pixels, overscan/underscan, and other random weirdness, so I just wanted to confirm that won't be a problem before shopping for one of these.
post #468 of 1732 Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublfelix View Post

Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anyone who has gotten one of these sets can comment on use as computer monitor? I don't plan on using as a dedicated monitor, but I do like to be able to watch ESPN360/hulu/etc. on the TV over HDMI. I remember previous 720p sets (forget which ones) having issues with rectangular pixels, overscan/underscan, and other random weirdness, so I just wanted to confirm that won't be a problem before shopping for one of these.

Only the 42" would have rectangular pixels. Not sure on the other issues on this particular model. You can always send a plasma with rectangular pixels a non-1:1 pixel mapped HD signal and let the scaling take over. This is more likely to result in overscan on many sets. Again, I'm not sure about the C450's, though.
post #469 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 AM

Two things I'm noticing...

I tend to now prefer the "native" colorspace vs. "auto" under Advanced Settings. It tends to make the reds/pinks not as vibrant/fluroescent and makes them darker. I tend to think this gets more of an accurate red and reduces the glow in blues, but for some reason I feel like I might be losing detail with the native colorspace. Anyone with a calibration disk try messing around with native vs. auto for various colors?

Also, to those that have had problems with IR (Pendragon and others)...has your input source been a 1080i or 720p source? I noticed when watching some 1080i OTA HD channels, the pixel shifter function was disabled, but was enabled for 720p sources...haven't tried Blu-Ray 1080p... Perhaps some users are experiencing heavy IR because the source is 1080i and the orbiter is disabled?? Just a thought.
post #470 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

I've found a torrent for both the dve and avia2 calibration disc. I'm thinking of downloading one, which do you suggest?

I haven't had any experience with the Avia disc , but I can tell you that the DVE disc comes with colored films in the package for adjusting color , tint , and color temperature , and with out them the disc is basically useless. Maybe you can find the films alone some where and download the torrent , I'm not sure , any one else here know???
post #471 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Two things I'm noticing...

I tend to now prefer the "native" colorspace vs. "auto" under Advanced Settings. It tends to make the reds/pinks not as vibrant/fluroescent and makes them darker. I tend to think this gets more of an accurate red and reduces the glow in blues, but for some reason I feel like I might be losing detail with the native colorspace. Anyone with a calibration disk try messing around with native vs. auto for various colors?

Also, to those that have had problems with IR (Pendragon and others)...has your input source been a 1080i or 720p source? I noticed when watching some 1080i OTA HD channels, the pixel shifter function was disabled, but was enabled for 720p sources...haven't tried Blu-Ray 1080p... Perhaps some users are experiencing heavy IR because the source is 1080i and the orbiter is disabled?? Just a thought.

How did you know the orbiter was disabled. I got my ir from my wii. I just downloaded pixel projector to see if it will get rid of my ir.
post #472 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrice1976 View Post

I haven't had any experience with the Avia disc , but I can tell you that the DVE disc comes with colored films in the package for adjusting color , tint , and color temperature , and with out them the disc is basically useless. Maybe you can find the films alone some where and download the torrent , I'm not sure , any one else here know???

Yeah I just found that out. Looking online it seems that they run about 6.50 per film so hopefully I can find them cheaper. It's Red Blue and Yellow right?
post #473 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

How did you know the orbiter was disabled. I got my ir from my wii. I just downloaded pixel projector to see if it will get rid of my ir.

I'm not sure if its disabled or just un-tweakable, but the option of pixel shifter/orbiter is grayed out under the picture settings on my 1080i broadcasts.

However, I just read in the b450 thread that it could be related to picture size settings.... at just scan or screen fit for 1080i/1080p sources the option is grayed out and untweakable. I don't have my TV in front of me, but with it set at 16:9 it may be enabled, but then there's some overscan...I'm wondering if it is in fact disabled for "screen fit" picture settings on 1080i and 1080p Blu Ray sources or just unable to be tweaked/customized.
post #474 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 558
The pixel orbiter is disabled in 1:1 dot mode (or this sets version of it since it isn't a 1080p display, but it has a no overscan option) Set it to 16:9 instead and the orbiter will be working again.

I don't care of just scan on Plasma TVs thanks to uneven wear potential so I always leave it on 16:9 (and I really wish that Samsung had a proper zoom mode for letterbox movies like Panasonic has, it allowed me to watch any movie I wanted without worry of eventual uneven wear) I may game without worry on a Plasma, but I still fear uneven wear.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #475 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does the C450 compare to the A750 Picture wise? After all my TV swapping the 52A750 was my favorite set overall, but it was just too expensive for what it offered. (1.5k more than what my 50c450 cost)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #476 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The pixel orbiter is disabled in 1:1 dot mode (or this sets version of it since it isn't a 1080p display, but it has a no overscan option) Set it to 16:9 instead and the orbiter will be working again.

I don't care of just scan on Plasma TVs thanks to uneven wear potential so I always leave it on 16:9 (and I really wish that Samsung had a proper zoom mode for letterbox movies like Panasonic has, it allowed me to watch any movie I wanted without worry of eventual uneven wear) I may game without worry on a Plasma, but I still fear uneven wear.

Can you elaborate on why "just scan" modes could lead to uneven wear? Is this simply because the pixel orbiter would be disabled or is there another issue I'm being oblivious towards....I suppose I can deal with some overscan with my OTA 1080i broadcasts, but I haven't noticed any IR even with watching Blu-Rays on the "just scan" mode so I'll likely keep it that way....
post #477 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you elaborate on why "just scan" modes could lead to uneven wear? Is this simply because the pixel orbiter would be disabled or is there another issue I'm being oblivious towards....I suppose I can deal with some overscan with my OTA 1080i broadcasts, but I haven't noticed any IR even with watching Blu-Rays on the "just scan" mode so I'll likely keep it that way....

Most content in 1:1 mode doesn't fill the screen 100% (like movies that are 1:85:1 for example) The only cases of "burn-in" I have seen on recent plasma sets have been from uneven wear, I haven't seen any perma burn from TV tickers or games. I just like to have the option to eliminate any traces of black bars to avoid this, unfortunately Samsung doesn't offer this for letterbox movies.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #478 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Just swapped out my pn42c450 with another do to humming. The new one is humming as well. Owell guess I'll live with it as this is a bedroom tv. Picture quality for a sub $500 tv is excellent.
post #479 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hey fellow C450 and PS3 owners i have a question.

i will be getting a PS3 soon and i know you can set it to 1080p but some games are forced to be scaled back to 720p so i was wondering on these certain games with it being 720p is the Just scan or screen fit mode still available? basically i mean 1:1 Pixel whatever

because when i had a PS3 and a Panasonic it would always have overscan on 720p content and being that this samsung plasma is 720p i was hoping for no overscan.
post #480 of 1732 Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just swapped out my pn42c450 with another do to humming. The new one is humming as well. Owell guess I'll live with it as this is a bedroom tv. Picture quality for a sub $500 tv is excellent.

Plasma hum is normal. Was it excessive?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page