Samsung PNXXc450 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I know we're not supposed to talk price, but anyone that purchased this at BB might want to compare what you paid for it with the price they are advertising now on their website. I bought it on sale and they are on sale now for $50 less than what I paid.....Today happens to be the 30th day I've owned the TV so I think they'll credit me that $50 back...Hope so anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Has anyone else noticed that the buzz on these sets seem to be getting quieter with age? I am now only noticing the buzz when I am close to the set, before I was easily hearing it from normal seating distances....

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #543 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Has anyone else noticed that the buzz on these sets seem to be getting quieter with age? I am now only noticing the buzz when I am close to the set, before I was easily hearing it from normal seating distances....

That is good to hear. Maybe it's like living near Niagara Falls. After a while you just don't hear it anymore

Mine never buzzed a bit from day 1. But I'm glad it's getting better for you.
post #544 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I posted earlier that the Samsung tech told me the buzz would quiet down as the set ages....interesting

I've also been toying with WB settings to get rid of the green haze in Movie-Warm2..... Someone else posted B450 settings that got rid of it, but it made complexions far too pink/red in dark scenes. EE posted settings, but they seemed too strong and all the crushing increased the noise/grain in the picture. I'll have to post what I've got now and see what people think/modify with them.
post #545 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan97TJ View Post

So I know we're not supposed to talk price, but anyone that purchased this at BB might want to compare what you paid for it with the price they are advertising now on their website. I bought it on sale and they are on sale now for $50 less than what I paid.....Today happens to be the 30th day I've owned the TV so I think they'll credit me that $50 back...Hope so anyway.

Ahhhhhhhhh NUTS!!!! I got it at BB on 3/19/10. I checked on lower prices on the website for a few weeks but gave up thinking, "no way it's going to go lower then the last sale price".

Oh well my Bing Cash back made it closer to this price but it would have been nice to get $50.00 back
post #546 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I posted earlier that the Samsung tech told me the buzz would quiet down as the set ages....interesting

I've also been toying with WB settings to get rid of the green haze in Movie-Warm2..... Someone else posted B450 settings that got rid of it, but it made complexions far too pink/red in dark scenes. EE posted settings, but they seemed too strong and all the crushing increased the noise/grain in the picture. I'll have to post what I've got now and see what people think/modify with them.

I switched to Warm 1 and it solved all my green push problems.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #547 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had good results with Movie - Warm1 and Normal. Standard mode looks good to me also. But Movie mode emits less plasma hum.
post #548 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I switched to Warm 1 and it solved all my green push problems.

I agree, it does solve the green haze problems, but I'm not a fan of Warm1. I find that the whites are too blue for my tastes - some things tend to appear a little too pink too. To me, colors are deeper and more pleasing to me in warm2 - just the green cast tends to show itself in dark room viewing more than I'd like...Here's my WB settings that try to clear it up a bit - still messing with it here and there but I feel its better than the defaults.

Mode - Movie:Warm2
Color: Native
Tint: G42 / R58

WB:
Roff - 25
Goff - 25
Boff - 25
Rgain - 29
Ggain - 20
Bgain - 30
post #549 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, it does solve the green haze problems, but I'm not a fan of Warm1. I find that the whites are too blue for my tastes - some things tend to appear a little too pink too. To me, colors are deeper and more pleasing to me in warm2 - just the green cast tends to show itself in dark room viewing more than I'd like...Here's my WB settings that try to clear it up a bit - still messing with it here and there but I feel its better than the defaults.

Mode - Movie:Warm2
Color: Native
Tint: G42 / R58

WB:
Roff - 25
Goff - 25
Boff - 25
Rgain - 29
Ggain - 20
Bgain - 30

I'm running the WB corrections that were posted awhile back by Leetthal

White:

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #550 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm running the WB corrections that were posted awhile back by Leetthal

White:

Tried those as well, but the Ggain being so low makes things too red/pink for my taste - its more evident in dark room viewings.
post #551 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Also, I'm led to believe the software is backwards for the c450's color space settings. I've been doing research, and "auto" seems to be the usual correct colorspace for HDTVs because it reaches all posible color gamuts and automatically adjusts to the source. "Native" is thought to expand the color space regardless of source, and is understood to be the improper setting in almost all circumstances.

The b450 thread parallels this for the most part- auto being the correct setting and native being incorrect. EE_engineer confirmed this with some techy talk on "auto" vs. "native", and that he couldn't tell any visual difference in color between the two settings. However, one poster mentions he heard from a Samsung tech that all quality issues/testing is done on "native" settings for their plasmas. Another poster mentioned that the "native" color setting allowed him to get more accurate tint/hue settings with a calibration DVD that he couldn't get with "auto". So I did some experimenting:

On my Samsung LCD, when alternating between "auto" and "native"
-native makes reds/blues fluorescent and overly vibrant

On my c450 plasma
-auto makes reds/blues fluorescent and vibrant (it does what "native" does on the LCD)

I feel its kind of strange that Samsung possibly has these settings backwards, and that for these c450s (at least the models with the same software I have) should be on "native" for color space. I don't understand why the color space settings would do the opposite for their LCD vs. their plasmas. I also noticed that "native" is the default color space in "Standard" mode which was the default mode the TV was in after initial setup. Movie was defaulted in "auto". I'm curious to the effect these have with Blu-Ray sources....I'll have to check my other LCD to see if its opposite as well.....anyone tried tinkering with auto/native ?
post #552 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

This was talked about earlier in the thread but can someone confirm connect jpeg/movie plays video files via usb? List the tv size you have and if you can play videos or not.

I'm trying to figure out for certain if you can play movies thru usb on the 50in model. ThanQs!
post #553 of 1732 Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygrizwald View Post

Ahhhhhhhhh NUTS!!!! I got it at BB on 3/19/10. I checked on lower prices on the website for a few weeks but gave up thinking, "no way it's going to go lower then the last sale price".

Oh well my Bing Cash back made it closer to this price but it would have been nice to get $50.00 back

I got mine at hhgregg where it was on sale and printed off a $50 coupon once I registered on their website so it was even cheaper. That $50 coupon is good for any tv over $399. It's still good until the end of April. On a side note I still have that burn in but it seems to have gone down some and is only visible when the screen is all white or all one color (i.e. when I run the break in dvd or bright/white commercials). I'm trying to remember the name of that Discovery program that ran for a week so I can try that on dvd, if anybody knows the name of it let me know.
post #554 of 1732 Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I muted the TV last night and just listened for buzz. The only time I could hear any buzz at my seating distance was when the screen was more than 50% white. This is a drastic improvment over when the set was new.

Also just a reminder, my FFXIII ir took nearly 2 weeks to fully fade. It does go away, it just takes a long time versus a Panasonic.

And I'll test the auto and native setting to see what it does.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #555 of 1732 Old 04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tried those as well, but the Ggain being so low makes things too red/pink for my taste - its more evident in dark room viewings.

try changing the 5 to 10.

Seemed to help.
post #556 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM

I got mine at CompUsa for the MSRP without tax or shipping charges applied. After Bing, my total cost was still lower than the Best Buy price, and without sales tax.
post #557 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Hi All,

I just bought this TV about a month ago and I've been keeping track of this thread. One thing that comes to mind are the color settings that some people have shared with us. I've fiddled with all of the settings here and to be honest, I'm not really feeling the movie mode vs the dynamic mode.

I would like to know why people don't use the Dynamic mode vs. the Movie mode. I feel as if it gives HD feed a more vibrant look and feel to it where as the movie mode seems very dim and dull. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion.

You guys are the experts here and I'd just like to get some insight behind it all. Thanks.

BTW I love the tv. Especially at it's price.
post #558 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenmang View Post

Hi All,

I just bought this TV about a month ago and I've been keeping track of this thread. One thing that comes to mind are the color settings that some people have shared with us. I've fiddled with all of the settings here and to be honest, I'm not really feeling the movie mode vs the dynamic mode.

I would like to know why people don't use the Dynamic mode vs. the Movie mode. I feel as if it gives HD feed a more vibrant look and feel to it where as the movie mode seems very dim and dull. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion.

You guys are the experts here and I'd just like to get some insight behind it all. Thanks.

BTW I love the tv. Especially at it's price.

Dynamic is overly bright for one. It crushes dark details into oblivion, it blows out details in bright scenes, IR is much worse in this mode, Buzz is much worse in this mode, it adds a ton of edge enhancement to the image (which erases details) Noise reduction is bad, there is added noise to the image (all of this erases details in the source) it just isn't a good mode for anything.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #559 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info on the p****, I went back to Bestbuy and got 54 bucks back.

Thanks again PENDRAG0ON

I took your advice and got the 50in.
post #560 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Dynamic is overly bright for one. It crushes dark details into oblivion, it blows out details in bright scenes, IR is much worse in this mode, Buzz is much worse in this mode, it adds a ton of edge enhancement to the image (which erases details) Noise reduction is bad, there is added noise to the image (all of this erases details in the source) it just isn't a good mode for anything.

^^what he said. Dynamic looks the worst out of the 3 modes IMO. Just...too much....not smooth - too much noise..too blue....its basically "LCD" mode for a plasma. I find myself swapping between Movie modes Warm1 and Warm2. Standard is bright when I equal the cell light setting (~7 or 8) to Movie mode, but the colors are not as deep and engaging as they are in Movie.

Overall, the "insight" is that most of us prefer a more natural picture thats essentially more "true" to the source. Everyone has their preferences, and some will prefer Standard, or Movie "cool" or what have you...but most of the settings posted are to find a balance between having an accurate picture while still incorporating enough settings to allocate for someone's personal picture preference.

Try playing with some of the advanced features like "dynamic contrast" to low in Movie mode and see how you like it. It gives more "pop" to the picture that you may like...but also crushes blacks and increases noise, but it may be what you are looking for.
post #561 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM

i personally like a bright picture. So when I get my set, how do I make it brighter w/o dynamic? Does this increase risk of IR/burn in?
post #562 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbaya19 View Post

i personally like a bright picture. So when I get my set, how do I make it brighter w/o dynamic? Does this increase risk of IR/burn in?

Personally, I like Movie, but it's not as crisp standard. I would have to engage Dynamic Contrast-low to get some Standard sharpness and pop. But this also crushed some detail. So I've found that I can use Standard and lower the color, brightness, and contrast. I'm still testing with lowering the gamma to -1, but currently my Standard mode looks like a crisper Movie mode. Brighter than Movie. Yet still w/ nice deep color, good blacks (as good as can be expected), and good shadow detail. And I now can leave all other "enhancements" to off.

I haven't seen any increase in IR issues.
post #563 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply all.
post #564 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenmang View Post

Thanks for the reply all.

BTW, I do use Movie mode if I don't have any ambient light. Easier on the eyes.
post #565 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 PM

I just threw this up as anotehr thread but I',m glad I saw this one. The screen on mine will go form lighter to darker for a few seconds. Is this normal or should I maybe exchange it. I'm digging this TV so far.
post #566 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moop2000 View Post

I just threw this up as anotehr thread but I',m glad I saw this one. The screen on mine will go form lighter to darker for a few seconds. Is this normal or should I maybe exchange it. I'm digging this TV so far.

Try looking through the menu with the gearbox icon....make sure power saving and eco mode are both "off"
post #567 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Try looking through the menu with the gearbox icon....make sure power saving and eco mode are both "off"

Thanks, it was the Eco Sensor as that was on. I'm glad it's not defective.
post #568 of 1732 Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 PM

I would like to share my findings from bestbuy this evening.

Videos WILL NOT play via "media play" on both the 42 and the 50in model. Only pics and music.

However the 50in series c550 "media play" DOES play videos. The c550 series is still "media play" but it has a different gui altogether...

Also the 50in c450 on display was a NY02...No buzz that I could tell even with my head up next to the front of the panel.

I was disappointed, but its not a deal breaker. I will be picking mine up tomorrow night after work hopefully. My local only has 1 left!
post #569 of 1732 Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

People were wanting pictures so here is one from Life on Discovery HD during the day with quite a bit of natural light coming in.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #570 of 1732 Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi everyone from mexico , im about to buy mi firts hdtv and a i have two models in my mind
the panasonic 42x1 and this samsung 42c450 , i now this is a c450 owners thread , but if someone had experiences whit this 2 models please tell me which one you recommend , thanks and godd luck !!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page