Samsung PNXXc450 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1732 Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello - I'm considering purchasing this unit to replace my 5 year old 42" Philips Plasma. Does anyone know what the actual average power consumption is on this model? The BB website says it's 146 watts while a rep from Samsung said it's 550 (??).

My Philips is a 400 watt power hog so I was hoping to get something a lot more efficient. Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Tiga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1732 Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Okay guys i have a PS3.

whats should i set the RGB to?

and what about HDMI black level on my tv?

so limited/full and normal/low?

i'm so confused.
post #633 of 1732 Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

Okay guys i have a PS3.

whats should i set the RGB to?

and what about HDMI black level on my tv?

so limited/full and normal/low?

i'm so confused.

RGB limited, black level low, that way you get deep blacks and good shadow detail (RGB full just crushes detail)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #634 of 1732 Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Hi all,

Still new to plasma, still having major brightness/contrast variability issues with the set.

This is even after I turned Power Saving off.

Problem is worst with dark or dimly light scenes and I see it most at nighttime (EcoSensor on or off).

Last night, during a nighttime scene, it looked like there was a lightning storm on screen - that's how bad it got.

Contrast is set to about 65, brightness to 54, mode to Movie. Cell light to 6-7. I've also tried Standard mode - same issue, if not worse.

STB/DVD are both connected to the TV via component cable, not HDMI. I'm saving the HDMI for the eventual Blu Ray player but would swap it in if I thought it would fix the problem. (I've heard that Verizon STBs have issues with HDMI, which is another reason I haven't tried it.)

I'm ready to go back to the good old CRT at this point.

Is this a plasma-specific issue or do I just have a bum set? Is there any setting I can modify? I've tried just about everything that seems (to a novice at least) to be connected to the issue.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.
post #635 of 1732 Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Sounds like a bum set to me, I haven't seen any issues like this yet. Particularly a "lightning storm". I don't think that's normal.
post #636 of 1732 Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 AM

So I've had this TV for about a week now and I'm enjoying it so far. This is my first plasma, came from a 32" LCD. No motion blur, color accuracy and blacks are a huge plus over the LCD I had. I would be strictly using this for gaming(75%) and watching movies(25%), don't watch TV.

My only concern is that I tend to sit up too close to the TV, I would say about 3-4 ft away and I can notice a grainy imagine on my games with certain colors. I think this is called "pixel dithering" If I bring down the cell light, contrast and brightness it tends to go away or if I sit back about 6 ft then It isn't noticeable at all. Maybe its just me being paranoid or maybe my eyes have to get use to plasma. What do you guys think about these LCDs compare to this plasma.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=9761174

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=9605116
post #637 of 1732 Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butac View Post

Sounds like a bum set to me, I haven't seen any issues like this yet. Particularly a "lightning storm". I don't think that's normal.

I upped the cell light to 8 based on some settings I saw in this thread. Brightness still around 50 and contrast at 65. Power saving = low. I also decreased the color to about 33. I find that I prefer Standard to Movie mode - more "real" to my eye.

I spent a few hours watching different types of programming last night - HD on different channels (local PBS, HBO, HDNet Movies), SD films (Turner Classic), etc.

I still see the contrast variability sometimes, but the increased cell light may have helped to address the issue.

All in all, when that set is doing the right thing with regard to the picture, which really is most of the time, it can bring tears to your eyes.

For now, I'm willing to live with the variability in exchange for what is most of the time a stellar picture.

It really is far better than some Blu Ray projection systems I see in local theaters - and for a fraction of the cost.

And I don't think I can give up the "Treme" score/soundtrack piped through my legacy Onkyo receiver, now that I've heard it. "Inglourious Basterds" was pretty, well, glorious in that respect too when I watched the DVD the other night.

Glad this forum is here.
post #638 of 1732 Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryant100 View Post

Despite some qualms, I am very satisfied with the set, other than one flaw which I hope is not a widespread problem with the model. While watching hours of NCAA bball this past weekend on CBS, I noticed frequent judder in commercials and periodically in live action. It was easy to notice in the commercials, as they repeat the same commercials over and over, and it would judder (looks like a frame skip) in the same place every time they aired. I have noticed this on both CBS and NBC broadcasts, but have not had one problem on Fox or ABC. I receive over the air signals with an antenna, but it is not a signal issue. The commercials are the easiest comparison, because certain ones judder in the same spot everytime on CBS and NBC, but are smooth on Fox and ABC. CBS and NBC both broadcast in 1080i, while Fox and ABC broadcast in 720p. Could the scaling mechanism in my set be defective? It doesn't appear to be handling the 1080i signal well. Has anyone else had a problem? I've posted this on other sites and have had no feedback. Best Buy and Samsung were no help. I'm leaning towards returning it for another set, and would like to get another C450. I just don't want to get another one home and have the same problem again. Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone else had this issue with "judder" I also get it on one OTA HD channel, and it's SUPER irritating. I tried adjusting the digital noise filter, but it didn't help. Thoughts? I'd appreciate them.
post #639 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 AM

I noticed this during the March Madness broadcasts...put my DNR/Noise Red. to "auto"...put Film Mode to "auto"...and haven't noticed it on anything since...(*film mode is only an option on 1080i signals)
post #640 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

I bought a PN42C450 about a month ago from Crutchfield and I'm still breaking it in (movie mode, contrast/brightness < 50), but i've noticed that during some darker scenes the shadows will fill with red/pink dots. Its very noticable and i assume a defect, but has anyone else noticed similar issues?

If i flip over to "dynamic" for a second all the red dots go away. It's not a constant problem, but i noticed it was especially bad after i moved the TV from the living room to the bedroom.
post #641 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked one of these up at Sears (model: PN42C450B1DXZA) and got it installed last night, put it on a wall mount from Monoprice. The buzz is ridiculous. I can't believe any reputable company would allow such a flawed product be sold. I fiddled with the adjustments and could still easily hear the obnoxious buzz over normal content - volume turned up to 50% of max, above that the distorted sound overwhelmed the buzz. I think my wife was even more annoyed than me. She helped me install everything so knowing we'll be returning it for something else in it price range is very frustrating for both of us.
So, any recommendations? My options are:

Panasonic P42C2
Or
An LG 42" 720p plasma

BTW, we own two Panasonic plasmas, 58" in the living room, and a 50" in the master bedroom. Neither makes any perceptible buzz, so I'm tempted to just go ahead and trade it for the Panasonic. But the LG has me intrigued. I can't believe my first attempt at a Samsung was such an utter fail.
post #642 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1 View Post

Just picked one of these up at Sears (model: PN42C450B1DXZA) and got it installed last night, put it on a wall mount from Monoprice. The buzz is ridiculous. I can't believe any reputable company would allow such a flawed product be sold. I fiddled with the adjustments and could still easily hear the obnoxious buzz over normal content - volume turned up to 50% of max, above that the distorted sound overwhelmed the buzz. I think my wife was even more annoyed than me. She helped me install everything so knowing we'll be returning it for something else in it price range is very frustrating for both of us.
So, any recommendations? My options are:

Panasonic P42C2
Or
An LG 42" 720p plasma

BTW, we own two Panasonic plasmas, 58" in the living room, and a 50" in the master bedroom. Neither makes any perceptible buzz, so I'm tempted to just go ahead and trade it for the Panasonic. But the LG has me intrigued. I can't believe my first attempt at a Samsung was such an utter fail.

Might try an exchange as Sears is local and usually easy to work with.

In the plasma world, I find Samsung outclasses the other manufacturers in terms of pq. Panny always seems noisy and soft in comparison. LG might be ok, but do check out the screen for reflections. The LG sets I've seen on display look like mirrors and would only work in rooms that have very controlled lighting.
post #643 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 PM

SPX2010 - The exact issue you described has just begun happening on my TV during dark scenes. However, it only seems to occur within the first 3 or 4 minutes that the TV is turned on. But just as you described, purple/pink dots will fill dark scenes where there is a quick change from dark to light. Do plasma pixels need to "warm up" or something?

I got my TV from Crutchfield too incidentally.
post #644 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 09:05 PM

aydu,

Thanks for your input. I went ahead and got the Panasonic (I now have three - One may confuse me for a Panny fanboy - but I'm not; I have an Epson 6500UB in the theater room). I was really hoping the Samsung would work out and it didn't. At Sears there was lots of ambient noise in the store but the buzz was still noticeable on the floor model so I'm thinking maybe that's just the way it is on Samsungs, at least, the 2010 models. My brother has two and his don't buzz, 2008/09 models.

I hooked the Panny up and scanned for local channels (this tv is in our workout room and will only use local OTA content and a DVD player). It pulled in more channels than the Samsung, so it might have a little better tuner. I adjusted the Cinema mode a little and was happy with what I saw. It appeared to have less glare/reflection than the Samsung. Don't know which TV is better in terms of picture quality in lower light, however.

I could perceive no buzzing on the Panny, so I'm happy and will stick with it. Sad the Samsung didn't work out, but oh well.
post #645 of 1732 Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:

aydu,

Thanks for your input. I went ahead and got the Panasonic (I now have three - One may confuse me for a Panny fanboy - but I'm not; I have an Epson 6500UB in the theater room). I was really hoping the Samsung would work out and it didn't. At Sears there was lots of ambient noise in the store but the buzz was still noticeable on the floor model so I'm thinking maybe that's just the way it is on Samsungs, at least, the 2010 models. My brother has two and his don't buzz, 2008/09 models.

I hooked the Panny up and scanned for local channels (this tv is in our workout room and will only use local OTA content and a DVD player). It pulled in more channels than the Samsung, so it might have a little better tuner. I adjusted the Cinema mode a little and was happy with what I saw. It appeared to have less glare/reflection than the Samsung. Don't know which TV is better in terms of picture quality in lower light, however.

I could perceive no buzzing on the Panny, so I'm happy and will stick with it. Sad the Samsung didn't work out, but oh well.

Kinda off topic but do you live in a mansion? LOL I was counting your rooms and tv's
post #646 of 1732 Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I was playing Uncharted 2 and it just didn't look quite right, so I went into the settings and tried to improve it but nothing worked. I then turned black enhancement to dark and dynamic contrast to low, and suddenly it looked almost right. I then started checking other content and everything that had a washed out look suddenly looked right. (save for stuff meant to be washed out, like the Of their own Accord level in MW2) Everything from live action to Animation looked more natural with these on.

I think that we need to experiment with these settings to see what they offer.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #647 of 1732 Old 05-15-2010, 09:36 AM

once again putting espn the logo stays for about 10 seconds when i switch to another channel then goes away is this normal, or should i return it
post #648 of 1732 Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by War53B View Post

once again putting espn the logo stays for about 10 seconds when i switch to another channel then goes away is this normal, or should i return it

That is Image Retention and it is normal on Plasma TVs. It goes away.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #649 of 1732 Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

Kinda off topic but do you live in a mansion? LOL I was counting your rooms and tv's

Not even close, but my dad calls our house "the mansion." It's far from special, three bedroom, bonus room and a detached garage (22' x 16') we turned into a nice home gym. That's where the new, humble 42" 720p, tv resides.
post #650 of 1732 Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Last night I was playing Uncharted 2 and it just didn't look quite right, so I went into the settings and tried to improve it but nothing worked. I then turned black enhancement to dark and dynamic contrast to low, and suddenly it looked almost right. I then started checking other content and everything that had a washed out look suddenly looked right. (save for stuff meant to be washed out, like the Of their own Accord level in MW2) Everything from live action to Animation looked more natural with these on.

I think that we need to experiment with these settings to see what they offer.

Black enhancement only tends to decrease shadow detail rather than actually deepen blacks IMO...blacks stay the same, but it just throws in more black content which can make it seem like a deeper shade of black. IMO it tends to crush blacks a little too much and takes away detail...

Dynamic contrast is cool for certain things..I keep it off only because I prefer a more natural/accurate look, but I see where it could be great for gaming and animated flicks/blu-rays... - it makes the set look more akin to a vibrant LCD and it does it pretty well if you like that vibrant look. Colors aren't as accurate, but it really pumps up perceived contrast and brightness/detail...IR might be more prevalent with this enabled though. I think if you aren't going for "accuracy" but more for a "wow" picture, this would be the ticket to get it...
post #651 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:

aydu,

Obviously some people have an issue with buzzing. My PN50C450 2010 has zero buzzing from day 1. With the ones that do buzz most have not been noticeable from a standard viewing distance of 8 FT and volume at standard levels. I'm wondering if the Wall Mount increases the buzz sound (reflecting off the wall making it sound louder)? Sorry it didn't work out for you.
post #652 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Anyone have any ideas on the red snow I have been experiencing within the first 5 minutes I turn my TV on? I can see it in dark scenes with movement. Should I call a Samsung Tech or is there another solution?
post #653 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Anyone have any ideas on the red snow I have been experiencing within the first 5 minutes I turn my TV on? I can see it in dark scenes with movement. Should I call a Samsung Tech or is there another solution?

I've had the TV for 3 months now and have never seen the "red snow" effect you are talking about. I'm guessing this isn't "normal". Have you tried using another HDMI cable? Maybe you have a bum cable or your getting some kind of interference? It may be worth switching it out just to rule out that problem? Also check any of the other connections you have to the TV. Maybe unplug all the other connections and just have the TV via HDMI connected to see if you still get the effect.

Let us know how it goes.
post #654 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM

I noticed this morning and i also am having red dots on the top left the screen. going to call samsung
post #655 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM

I was worried about glare and resolution (especially the 720P really being 1024X768 on this set), but I am happy so far with both in my setup, but not the buzz.

I plugged up my new PN42C450 last night (on a stand, not wall-mounted) and the buzz is quite loud. It is louder than any other display I've heard. I'm sitting 10' away in an apartment living room where I don't have the luxury of drowning the buzz out all the time. When I increase the volume to 10 it begins to disappear...except of course when someone speaking pauses or I change channels. I've played with cell light level, energy saving modes, brightness, contrast, etc. These settings as well as the average picture level of whatever content do affect the buzzing, but nonoe of them satisfactorily lower it. Since there are several reports of some of these with little to no buzz, I'm going to see about an exchange at HH Gregg. I know this is an inexpensive TV, but the buzz is pretty bad.

If they won't exchange, I may consider the LG, Panasonic or a 40" LCD, none of which I'm too excited about.
post #656 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Hello all

I bought the 42 inch Brazilian version of this plasma and I'm using a calibration i found here although i found it a little to dark and improved it..

After a few days being conservative i have pushed the contrast and brightness, but i wish to know if i'm doing anything wrong or there is any better setting or what do you think of it...

I also would like to say that i dind't had any retention yet (1 week) and no buzz, only if i put my head on top of TV...and the image is fantastic...

Movie Mode:

Cell Light = 15
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 10
Color = 42
Tint G42/R58

Advanced
Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma +1
Fleshtone = +1
Edge Enhancement = Off

Color Temp = Warm 1
DNF = Off

White:

Energy Save: Off
post #657 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:

this typically means you have a bad set. i don't believe there is an inhouse fix for the red snow. did you follow proper breaking in procedures?
post #658 of 1732 Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Yes, I have been careful with break in - using a break in DVD and varying my content. I have never seen any IR and have just been using the default "movie" setting for all viewing. So maybe I just got a lemon? I am within my 30 day return period, but I feel bad returning my second TV now (the first one was shattered on arrival). I want to call Samsung so I can say "I already called them" when trying to return it...good idea or should I just return it now?
post #659 of 1732 Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM

I've been so pleased with my 50C450, I just ordered another one for the bedroom from BB. I hope it's just as buzz-free and brilliant as the first one!
post #660 of 1732 Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM

I picked up a 42c450 Friday after work but once I got it home I realized the native resolution of 1280x768 wouldn't work for my application, as I use my HTPC for watching all video content. Even forcing 1366x768 looked horrible. Saturday I returned and exchanged it for a 50c450, with a native resolution of 1365x768. Both sets had an excellent picture out of the box and a very slight buzz which couldn't/can't be heard over the volume.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. So happy, in fact, that I can't imagine being any happier with the 1080p plasma I was planning on saving up for
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page