i have a 42"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Eco sensor location confirmed. It is small circular bulb hidden behind the bezel right underneath the power button. It reminds me of the trackball on blackberry phones. It can only be seen when shinning a flashlight at it. Now everyone knows where to aim light in the room. Though most of the time I just leave my eco sensor off.

Another thing, the power went out here and I swear some of my settings on movie mode went back to default...very annoying. I'm going to have to write up my settings and save them to a file. Maybe I'm just imagining things though...*shrugs*

Edit. This last statement was my mistake.
post #723 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft_soul View Post

Eco sensor location confirmed. It is small circular bulb hidden behind the bezel right underneath the power button. It reminds me of the trackball on blackberry phones. It can only be seen when shinning a flashlight at it. Now everyone knows where to aim light in the room. Though most of the time I just leave my eco sensor off.

Another thing, the power went out here and I swear some of my settings on movie mode went back to default...very annoying. I'm going to have to write up my settings and save them to a file. Maybe I'm just imagining things though...*shrugs*

Did you use the settings posted earlier in this thread?
post #724 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 08:42 AM

This is from the Samsung product page. I wish it did have a swivel stand - what is this person talking about 20 degrees swivel? Can a swivel stand be purchased for this tv?

Quote:

Does this tv swivel on the stand provided?
asked 3 weeks ago
rigtank
on PN42C450 42 720p Plasma HDTV- NEW
3 answers
Answers
answer 1
No, it has a fixed stand on it. Thanks
answered 4 days ago
rocketolds72
- circleville, ohio
answer 2
No it does not but it is still well worth the money!
Top 500 Contributor
Top 500 Contributor
answered 4 days ago
proudmama
- West Texas
answer 3
As a matter of fact, the PN42C450 does offer 20 degrees of swivel from side to side.
-MrSamsung

post #725 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Did you use the settings posted earlier in this thread?

Yes, but my mistake. I had the tv on another input. I just learned on different inputs even the same mode can have different settings saved.

However now I have stumbled upon another issue. I was playing a ps3 game (elder scrolls) and was switching between picture size modes, just messing around. I was mainly looking at 16:9 vs screen fit. Now...one would think that 16:9 would be ideal for ps3 content but actually I noticed that screen fit (with no horizontal or vertical adjustments) actually shows more content on screen and 16:9 actually cuts off a bit on the left and right sides. I switch to another input source (ota hd) and notice the same. So I preferred screen fit up until now...

While continuing to play around in the settings I notice that screen fit however disables the pixel shift function which I like to have for gaming. Maybe others have already known this but its new to me. What would you choose 16:9 with a little less on screen... or screen fit with more on screen but no pixel shift protection?
post #726 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft_soul View Post

Yes, but my mistake. I had the tv on another input. I just learned on different inputs even the same mode can have different settings saved.

However now I have stumbled upon another issue. I was playing a ps3 game (elder scrolls) and was switching between picture size modes, just messing around. I was mainly looking at 16:9 vs screen fit. Now...one would think that 16:9 would be ideal for ps3 content but actually I noticed that screen fit (with no horizontal or vertical adjustments) actually shows more content on screen and 16:9 actually cuts off a bit on the left and right sides. I switch to another input source (ota hd) and notice the same. So I preferred screen fit up until now...

While continuing to play around in the settings I notice that screen fit however disables the pixel shift function which I like to have for gaming. Maybe others have already known this but its new to me. What would you choose 16:9 with a little less on screen... or screen fit with more on screen but no pixel shift protection?

Yes, this was discussed earlier. The drawback to screen fit is the pixel shift disables, which could result in more IR...The positive is that overscan is limited. Another thing we noticed is that with screen fit, there is still some extra TV space not being used, so it is not quite "full screen". If content was not varied, this could lead to permanent damage, although it is still quite a small space that is not being filled. Personally, I use 16:9 in most TV viewing, but for Blu-Rays I'll throw it on screen fit.
post #727 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM

I thought screen fit was this sets mode for outputting the native resolution of the source?
post #728 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM

What about if you change the picture size from the source (ie the zoom feature of advd player or wmc)? is that preferable?

also..anyone attach the ferrite cores to the pwr cord? are they supposed to be loose?
post #729 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

What about if you change the picture size from the source (ie the zoom feature of advd player or wmc)? is that preferable?

also..anyone attach the ferrite cores to the pwr cord? are they supposed to be loose?

I have the cord wrapped around it twice so it isn't loose, I think that's how you are suppose to have it as.
post #730 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma002 View Post

I've been so happy with my 50C450 for the past month, I ordered another one for my bedroom (...)

...no excessive buzzing, no cloudiness, no dead pixels, etc., (though I can see some very slightly uneven brightness as it's running the break-in disc, but I think the first one did that, too.) Hey, for the price, I think everything's OK (knock on wood), and I'm happy so far!

Well, although still no buzz problem, I've noticed that there seem to be regularly-spaced horizontal "bands" running across the entire panel; they're only visible in medium-dark to dark scenes and in the darker of the solid backgrounds contained in the break-in and calibration discs. I can see this irregularity on all inputs, even on OTA HD broadcasts (now that I'm looking for it).

I'm not sure if the lines will be noticeable in this pic:

My first 50C450 that I purchased over a month ago doesn't exhibit this banding using the same backgrounds (hooked up to a very similar model Panasonic blu-ray player, BD-80, and the splash screen doesn't show these lines).

Still great PQ during content, though, but I hate knowing that this is there...*sigh*...guess I'll have to call BB for an exchange.
post #731 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 557
Quote:

Well, although still no buzz problem, I've noticed that there seem to be regularly-spaced horizontal "bands" running across the entire panel; they're only visible in medium-dark to dark scenes and in the darker of the solid backgrounds contained in the break-in and calibration discs. I can see this irregularity on all inputs, even on OTA HD broadcasts (now that I'm looking for it).

I'm not sure if the lines will be noticeable in this pic:

My first 50C450 that I purchased over a month ago doesn't exhibit this banding using the same backgrounds (hooked up to a very similar model Panasonic blu-ray player, BD-80, and the splash screen doesn't show these lines).

Still great PQ during content, though, but I hate knowing that this is there...*sigh*...guess I'll have to call BB for an exchange.

My 50c450 has vertical banding (about the size of a 4:3 bar right where the left 4:3 bar ends) It isn't as bad as it was on day one, but it is still there. All three Sammy LCDs, and all three Panny Plasma sets had various forms of banding as well so I'm living with it since it is the least noticable so far.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #732 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Really? I was wondering if maybe time might lessen the effect.

The other TV, upon closer inspection with the room darkened, does something similar, but the horizontal banding is subtler - the bands are larger, and they don't stand out quite as much from each other...I guess that's why I didn't notice it on that set.

Ah, well...I guess I'll go ahead and keep running the break-in disc and watching programming on it. BB is temporarily out of these sets in my area anyway...they don't seem to last long when they're in stock. Thanks for the info
post #733 of 1732 Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? I was wondering if maybe time might lessen the effect.

The other TV, upon closer inspection with the room darkened, does something similar, but the horizontal banding is subtler - the bands are larger, and they don't stand out quite as much from each other...I guess that's why I didn't notice it on that set.

Ah, well...I guess I'll go ahead and keep running the break-in disc and watching programming on it. BB is temporarily out of these sets in my area anyway...they don't seem to last long when they're in stock. Thanks for the info

This thing is a steal at the price they sell for after all, it is no wonder they are always sold out.

The next best overall deal is the Samsung 58c550, but that is double the price of one of these...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #734 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 AM

Hi ya all... happy I finally found this forum !

I bought the 42c450 (though the sticker on the back says it is the NY02 despite the fact someone said here that "ny02" would only be for the 50") over the internet, i was very happy as it arrived. The box said it's made in Hungary (I'm from Germany).
Surely I had to use some pressure on my screwdriver when assembling the stand, but after some minutes it all was set up and powered up!!! I still am amazed about the PQ even using standard analog cable input ^^ Plug-n-Play, all set up and enjoyed .. a very neat feature is that Media Player, I sticked an USB thumb drive with an standard .AVI i just had and wow, it plays it really fast, good looking picture ^^

So all was fine until the late evening... I was alone, in my bed, about 12 feet away ... and there it was, clearly loud, damn-annoying BUZZING !! awww.. i just hate that, I can't watch anything to loud at night so this buzzing is just turning me crazy ... Have the set for only 5 days now so it only ran for about 50-60 hours, but I didn't want to wait until 200h to see if the buzzing (that obviously isn't coming from the power source but from the display - darker scenes do buzz a little louder) so I just called my supplier and told him about that - surely he wanted me to call Samsung first, but I directly asked for an exchange set because I really, really like everything at it but the buzzing.

It will be picked up tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my exchange set until the end of the week - hopefully a NON buzzer ^^

What do you ppl suggest best to do if the exchanged set will also be a buzzer ? just keep it running for some days to see if it goes away !?!

Also I was wondering what the best option is to connect my PC - do you suggest using a HDMI cable or the normal PC-In ? Anyway I would have to use a cable length of about 7.5m (about 24 feet).

I'm happy to read further comments on this and will surely report back when the exchange set is here.

so until then you all enjoy your sets!!
regards
post #735 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 AM

This whole buzzing issue is strange to me. I have never noticed any on mine. In fact, I just turned the volume all the way down and put my ear 4 inches from the screen. I cannot hear a sound. Not even the faintest hum.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact that all my inputs are running through my Onkyo receiver. I don't use the TV's sound at all.
post #736 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have wondered if one variable on the buzzing is not the TV but how clean the power is in your house at that specific outlet. I recall a post a while ago where someone added a power conditioner and the buzz went away. Our 50" has a very faint buzz that you need to put your head right at the TV to hear.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #737 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post

I have wondered if one variable on the buzzing is not the TV but how clean the power is in your house at that specific outlet. I recall a post a while ago where someone added a power conditioner and the buzz went away. Our 50" has a very faint buzz that you need to put your head right at the TV to hear.

It does seem to have an effect on the buzz, but it isn't everything. My set's buzz is audible at times, but I know that the power in my house is hardly the best and should be quite "dirty" so in theory I should have a beehive level buzz, but I don't.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #738 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Has anyone calibrated the brightness for this set yet with a calib. DVD/BRay? I have mine anywhere from 48-50, but I feel I'm still way off on brightness in Movie mode.....that it should be somewhere around 55ish with movie....
post #739 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Has anyone calibrated the brightness for this set yet with a calib. DVD/BRay? I have mine anywhere from 48-50, but I feel I'm still way off on brightness in Movie mode.....that it should be somewhere around 55ish with movie....

I have mine set at 60, and it seems fine to me. I had it set at 50 for the first month (for break-in), but I seemed to be missing some detail in really dark scenes, so I bumped it up along with the Gamma (+1). Watching "Avatar" last night just blew me away
post #740 of 1732 Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ran across an extremely good deal on a 50 430 and hopefully it is in the mail. From the specs and 2 techs I talked to the 430 is the exact same in electronics, screen etc as the 450 sans a few connections. This is my first plasma and large TV. Could someone tell me where I can get a break in disc and the optimum settings if anyone has had a professional calibration.
post #741 of 1732 Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Bought a 42" C450 on Friday and was so impressed I picked up another on Sunday for my parents. This set is a great value ... only issue I've had is the now almost legendary funky stand. Absent a using a tap, neither stand allowed seating of all the screws in the TV or the stand. Mine will be wall mounted and the M8 screws for the VESA mount work much better.
Both sets I purchased, as well as the ones I saw in the stores are quiet. Nice menu, easy to set up.

As usual, thanks to the folks here ...

Frank
post #742 of 1732 Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post

Bought a 42" C450 on Friday and was so impressed I picked up another on Sunday for my parents. This set is a great value ... only issue I've had is the now almost legendary funky stand. Absent a using a tap, neither stand allowed seating of all the screws in the TV or the stand. Mine will be wall mounted and the M8 screws for the VESA mount work much better.
Both sets I purchased, as well as the ones I saw in the stores are quiet. Nice menu, easy to set up.

Frank

Agreed...bought/suggested one to my sister after my own...vs the competition in this size/price range I think it comes out on top.
post #743 of 1732 Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post

Frank

Thank you - glad I am not the only one. I called Samsung and the freakin CSR has the nerve to tell me to go to Home Depot to pick up longer screws - I replied that I should not have to go to Home Depot for a brand new tv! She's mailing me the screws but I couldnt wait so I searched my toolbox for replacement screws that fit. I still think the stand is crap and it does not feel sturdy.

I have a friend who has the older model Samsung 42" Plasma that came with a swivel - he mounted his so he would give me the stand but I cant see how it would fit.
post #744 of 1732 Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
jig

i apologize up front - i should have done more reading before posting, but work and sleep is forcing me to try to short cut getting info.

i'm having trouble figuring out which settings in this thread are for the 50" or, for example, the 42". are they specific to screen size?

as far as burn in - should i be using the burn in dvd during the day? i also have something that could play music with the milkdrop visualization... is this ok?

finally, in the menu, there is the "scrolling" option under screen burn protection. is this something worth running all day long, or is it damaging over that period of time?

oh, one more thing - are the settings that are posted here for viewing also the ones that should be used for burn in? i know that there's at least an argument for using lower contrast and such for safety, but even just an opinion on the matter would be welcome.

thanks a lot for the help. i've already seen a little 4:3 burn in just after using it for a few hours over night, though i could only see it in absolute darkness. i haven't gone through a full 1hr scrolling session to see if that helps it yet - busing watching tv!

also, just to add here - i've listened to 3 50c450's in different stores, and they all buzz. mine also buzzes, and i have a laboratory-grade stand-off transformer (isolation transformer) feeding it power. i'd be very surprised if there are any that are truly non-buzzing.

oh, and the price was $589 at Fry's Electronics in SoCal, last weekend.

Again, thanks for any direction/wisdom on the above.

-jig
post #745 of 1732 Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM

so I exchanged my plasma and glad I did because I do not notice buzzing on the new set. Also seem to not notice any dithering effect at all in my games. Whatever you do don't mess around with the service menu, I did a factory reset and that seemed to ruin my TV because this new set looks so much better than my old one.
post #746 of 1732 Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
My 42 inch Vizio vu42lf died last week so I picked up a PN50c450 (basically stole if from hhgregg with their sale this weekend combined with a coupon) based the generally favorable reviews on the forums a it's price point ( Word of advice: never get a new puppy, then build a new HTPC/gaming rig, then have your only flat panel die on you all in a three week span )

Anyway, brought her home, mounted and hooked her up, diggin what I am seeing so far except a few things.

ONE: I know LCD's tend to be brighter and I am moving from a LCD to a Plasma but this set does seem quite dark, much darker then my old LCD. I mean, not dark enough to ruin the viewing experience, but I constantly find myself wanting to jack up the contrast and brightness (don't worry, I don't). Do you think this is just a normal LCD to plasma transition for me and plasmas are just noticeable darker, a breaking in period thing or what?

TWO: everything on the set looks very "soft" (for the lack of a better term) The LCD had much cleaner/sharper edges where as this set everything looks like it has a slight "blurish" filter over everything. Again, it doesn't ruin the view, just a bit different. My old set was smaller and 1080p, but I do site approx 13 feet from this set so I don't see an issue with the 1080p v 720p due the distance. Is this again, a normal plasma thing and I'll just adjust or something I can tweak?

THREE: I know, for the most part, gaming modes on plasmas are usually just a gimmick, but in the settings of this set is does mention reducing input lag (which I have heard is an issue with certain plasmas) for the sake of picture quality. Could this be the case of just another "gaming mode" fallacy?

I know a lot of this stuff will be moot based on plasams have a breaking in period and the fact that I have a "dead pixel" and am getting a replacement delivered on Monday and that set might just be a bit different ..... anyway, I'm looking forward to enjoying her for quite a while and want to get her tip top!

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

P.S. My setting for the set (based then tweaked on ones found here) are listed below

Movie Mode. (Standard is too dim and Dynamic is useless)

Cell Light = 8-10 depending on content
Contrast = 75
Brightness = 65
Sharpness = 0
Color = 42
Tint G42/R58

Advanced
Black Tone = Off (didn't notice a diff with it on so I left it off)
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma +1
Fleshtone +1
Edge Enhancement = Off

Color Temp = Warm 1
DNF = Off

White:

PSN: futurecode
post #747 of 1732 Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LCDs tend to be overly bright and oversharpened, what were your settings on the old Vizio?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #748 of 1732 Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Honestly, I don't remember the exact settings on the LCD but it wasn't jack up at all. I did the same as with this samsung, got some settings off the avsforum boards, then used an AVE calibration disc (not used with the plasma yet), fine adjusted based on preference and went from there.

Like I said, not disappointed in the pictures, just ab it dark for my eyes which are probably just used the Vizio and my computer monitor, I'm sure I'll adjust, just wondering if any of the stuff above was "abnormal".

PSN: futurecode
post #749 of 1732 Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Standard seems much brighter on my set than Movie mode...perhaps you have power saving enabled/on. - make sure this is "off" in the settings...then try standard again if it was on with your same cell light / contrast / brightness settings.

Otherwise I'd +try playing with dynamic contrast...and Pen is correct...most LCDs are typically OVERLY bright and have added (IMO fake-looking) sharpness (either added in processing or simply from the tech).
post #750 of 1732 Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 PM

I too went from LCD to plasma and don't think I can ever go back to LCD. I did notice how much dimmer it was on my plasma and now it just looks like the LCD is way too bright for my eyes. I think this is perfectly normal. You might want to go to settings and in setup turn off energy saving and eco sensor, you will get a much brighter picture with these two off. Turning up cell light also helps a lot.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page