Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

any updates on the horizontal line bleed?

The normal plasma line bleeding (not the spacers between the pixel rows) is average for a Plasma TV, so I don't consider it an issue.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The normal plasma line bleeding (not the spacers between the pixel rows) is average for a Plasma TV, so I don't consider it an issue.

sorry.... what I had meant..... any updates on the black horizontal lines that bothered you? you know the spaces between the pixel rows that are painted black?

and did you get the replacement from Amazon?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrice1976 View Post

Does anyone have a good set of settings yet for the C450's ? I tried a few from the B450 thread but the colors seem a little off on most of them.

Here are my updated settings, the colors are still a little off, but this was the best I could do without messing with the white balance.

Movie Mode. (Standard is too dim and Dynamic is useless)

Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 75
Brightness = 55
Sharpness = 0
Color = 45
Tint G47/R53

Advanced
Black Tone = Off (didn't notice a diff with it on so I left it off)
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma +1
Fleshtone +2
Edge Enhancement = Off

Color Temp = Warm 1 (Warm 2 has always been too green to my eyes)
DNF = Off
Screen Burn Protection = 4/4/1

These are not final but they look pretty good with most content.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Here are my updated settings, the colors are still a little off, but this was the best I could do without messing with the white balance.

Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 75
Brightness = 55
Sharpness = 0
Color = 45
Tint G47/R53

Advanced
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma +1
Fleshtone +2
Edge Enhancement = Off

DNF = Off

I'm guessing the dimness in Standard is a result of the new Energy Star 4.0 criteria this TV is meeting. I remember reading that some manufacturers were using less bright settings in "Standard" modes in order to meet certain energy requirements to help market the TV.

Are you using a calibration DVD or are these just tweaks by eye? I'm thinking of getting DVE for my 42" when it comes in...just curious
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry.... what I had meant..... any updates on the black horizontal lines that bothered you? you know the spaces between the pixel rows that are painted black?

Not much to update, they are still identical to what they were on day one. I can say however that even with these lines I will be keeping the set, the price is too good to pass up. The picture quality is right there with many of the other sets that I have had over the last year as well. For the money, this is still one of the best bargains of 2010.

I added a $20 Logitec PC speaker/Sub to the set and now I can no longer hear the buzz over most normal content, but I am still hoping that the replacment is quieter.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I'm guessing the dimness in Standard is a result of the new Energy Star 4.0 criteria this TV is meeting. I remember reading that some manufacturers were using less bright settings in "Standard" modes in order to meet certain energy requirements to help market the TV.

Are you using a calibration DVD or are these just tweaks by eye? I'm thinking of getting DVE for my 42" when it comes in...just curious

Yep, Energy Star 4.0 is the culprit as to why Standard is so dim.

Tweaks are by eye using content that I have viewed on many different TVs, Knowing what it looked like on the higher priced sets I adjusted it to look close to them while letting it's own strengths shine. I'm sure that DVE would get a picture closer to what is considered accurate, but I was never a fan of 100% accurate colors.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 75
Brightness = 55
Sharpness = 0
Color = 45
Tint G47/R53

Advanced
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma +1
Fleshtone +2
Edge Enhancement = Off

DNF = Off

These are very similar to what I came up with using DVE , the only difference is that I didn't adjust the flesh tone or gamma because I wasn't really sure what they would do. I tried it first on warm-2 , which everyone seems to swear by , but it seemed too yellow and dingy. Warm-1 worked much better for me , everything looks really good now except I think the color of red is a little off , it could also just be that my last set displayed reds a little more on the "crimson" side , and that was what I was used to looking at. I will certainly plug these settings in and give them a try , and I can't wait till someone professionally calibrates one of these so I can try there settings as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 PM

I have still new in box from BB a PN50B450 I got one week ago. The C450 is now in stock at the same store for the same price I paid (2010 models are lower priced). With an hour of driving I could exchange it (or maybe get them to refund me 10% or so, which is what they'd mark mine down by if they had to sell it again). Assuming I don't get a 'buzzing' unit like some posters here, are there any claimed improvements in picture quality or features over last year's B model?

The BB site indicates the C adds a USB port, loses a Composite input, and possibly loses "Internet connectivity" (but might just be BB's site does not have complete specs yet). The power consumption is a little lower (was already low), and the interestingly the weight has gone from 77 to 52 lbs! That's gotta mean something... maybe related to the leaner power consumption? The thickness has decreased 1/20", which implies different construction.

But is the picture and sound the same as last year? Thanks for any guidance on whether i should exchange mine.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmagee View Post

I have still new in box from BB a PN50B450 I got one week ago. The C450 is now in stock at the same store for the same price I paid. Assuming I don't get a 'buzzing' unit like some posters here, are there any claimed improvements in picture quality or features over last year's B model?

Is the picture and sound the same as last year?

keep the B450 !

it's 10 times better than the C450 !

quote from AVS member:

"I owned a 2010 PN42C450 and took it back to get the "B" 2009 model. Colors were so washed out I took it back after 24 hrs. the PN42B450 looked 10 times better out of the box and I even tried tweaking the "C" 2010 model for hrs. and could not get it to look right. Prices went down this year so I wonder if they sacrificed quality. I dont care for the new anti-glare screen that they are using either."

and from the OP:

"Normally I can sit 8.5 feet from a 50inch 720p plasma set to get all signs of screen door effect to vanish, but thanks to these black lines(of the 50C450), I have to move to 14.5 feet to get them to vanish. I would guess that roughly 1/3 of the screen is made up of these lines, maybe more. there is no way that I will be able to put up with these lines."

Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:

keep the B450 !

it's 10 times better than the C450 !

Thanks RobbyTV. However, those two references sounded to me like they were defective units, given that there are others with the same model who are indicating they are NOT seeing those issues. I have another couple of weeks of return period, so maybe I'll wait and see what other specific info is reported here and elsewhere. Thanks, again.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmagee View Post

Thanks RobbyTV. However, those two references sounded to me like they were defective units, given that there are others with the same model who are indicating they are NOT seeing those issues. I have another couple of weeks of return period, so maybe I'll wait and see what other specific info is reported here and elsewhere. Thanks, again.

did these other people compare it to a B450?
if not I would not take there word for it....

you need to find more people who have done a side by side before you can draw a valid conclusion.

B450 versus the C450 ?
(so far only one review that compares both, and the B wins).
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:

did these other people compare it to a B450?
if not I would not take there word for it....

you need to find more people who have done a side by side before you can draw a valid conclusion.

B450 versus the C450 ?
(so far only one review that compares both, and the B wins).

No other user here has reported poor PQ, and in fact, two different posters suggested the PQ on this budget plasma compares very well to a V-series Panasonic and even a 2010 Panasonic S2. I don't believe the same could be said for 2009's B450. Also, amazon reviews have also been positive for both this c450 as well as the c430. Lastly , I find it very rare (and confusing) that an older model plasma TV provides better PQ than its brand new model. Plasma TV models have been improving PQ from model to model consistently I believe.

The other poster referenced washed out colors…..perhaps this user had a defective unit, but the OP noted that Standard mode was noticeably dimmer than movie modes as a result of Samsung meeting the new Energy Star 4.0 requirements in Standard mode. He noted movie mode to be an improvement…I’m guessing the poster who claimed the PQ to be washed out could have had it left in Standard mode.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM

Could someone who has the 42" tell me the inputs/outputs as I haven't been able to find official specs anywhere?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM

subscribing, just ordered the 50 inch off Amazon to replace a 42inch Philips Plasma in the Master Bedroom. For the price, it was just to good to pass up.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Just called HHGregg to check on my 42" c450....I should have mine on Thursday...I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Any reason that you all think Samsung doesn't even list these new c series 42 or 50 on their website....I am swapping a semi-defective LG 50pq30 (sometimes doesn't power on - have to turn on and off a couple of times to get picture) due Amazon not having more for the 50 inch C450....Saw the C450 at Best Buy, thought it look awesome but couldn't hear any buzz due to the loud environment there at the store. Can anyone who has the 50 inch C450 take a picture of the back of the panel?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I'm guessing the poster who claimed the PQ to be washed out could have had it left in Standard mode.

i hope you are right... but the poster claimed to have spent a lot to time adjusting the C450 before giving up on it.... so who really knows for sure?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Last night I added a Vizio soundbar with the wireless sub, and the buzz is basically a non factor now. I'm starting to think most of the buzz was being transmitted through the speakers. Other than the sound quality of the TV, I am very happy. I am going to try Pendragoon's settings after the wife is done watching Up In the Air.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 PM

I just picked up a 42" today from HH Gregg...

Absolutely no buzzing whatsoever. No even if I stick my head behind the panel.

Picture quality seems great so far...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few changes to my settings, I upped the color back to 50, it was a little too pale at 45.

And Gamma is only at +1 for blu-ray, for my PS3 it needs to be at 0

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A few changes to my settings, I upped the color back to 50, it was a little too pale at 45.

And Gamma is only at +1 for blu-ray, for my PS3 it needs to be at 0

I could of sworn you said that you are going to return you C450 because you can see the screen door effect at 14' and less.

you said: "I have to move to 14.5 feet to get them to vanish. there is no way that I will be able to put up with these lines."

what changed your mind?

and did you get your replacement yet?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could of sworn you said that you are going to return you C450 because you can see the screen door effect at 14' and less.

you said: "I have to move to 14.5 feet to get them to vanish. there is no way that I will be able to put up with these lines."

what changed your mind?

and did you get your replacement yet?

The replacement arrived yesterday, and after getting it set up and I went to check my blu-ray player, the HDMI board went loopy, it wasn't working right, so I had to keep my current set. (the buzz was the same on the new unit) I didn't get to check for the lines, but I am pretty sure that they were the same. (it is by design after all)

As for why I am keeping it, for the price, this set is impossible to beat and the picture quality is very good on top of that. This set was simply a set to hold me over until enough reviews and user impressions of the higher models came out, I intend to upgrade to a 58 inch set before the end of the year. So I simply moved my chair back a bit and I will continue to use the set until enough is known about the new units and the prices come down a decent amount.

This thing cost me only $50 more than my near launch PS3, hard to beat that.

And for those that care, Final Fantasy XIII is gorgeous on this Plasma.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

And for those that care, Final Fantasy XIII is gorgeous on this Plasma.

Maybe you could do some input lag tests for us then seeing as you're a gamer XD
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Does the C450 have a swivel stand? I did like the feature on my LG that allowed a 20 degree swivel to each side.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues96 View Post

Does the C450 have a swivel stand? I did like the feature on my LG that allowed a 20 degree swivel to each side.

I don't know if the 450 has the same stand , but the stand on my 430 doesn't swivel.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues96 View Post

c450 doesn't swivel either.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Picked up my 42" c450 today....It's auto programming channels right now...and it IS a buzzer...HOWEVER, I don't consider it as big of a deal as others are making the buzz out to be. I had the local news on a volume of '10' and it was barely audible. I'll see if it annoys moreso after time but I don't find it to be a major fault or worthy of being exchanged. To note, I also have good hearing - I'm not an old fart ;p

EDIT: Does anyone else's c450 screen/stand have a fair some "play" or wobble in it?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:

It has gamma controls and full white balance controls as well, but only in movie mode, Standard and Dynamic are locked out on a bunch of stuff.

And I intend to treat this thing like I stole it, simply because it is a buzzer and I will probably have to get a new unit anyway.

Was reading this post, and my c450 in Standard mode has the same tweaking options (gamma/WB/dynamic contrast etc.) as Movie mode.

Also, SD processing on this set is much much better than I had anticipated
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

Maybe you could do some input lag tests for us then seeing as you're a gamer XD

Input lag isn't as good as a Panasonic plasma, but it is still very good and you will not notice it at all. (I would say it is under 45ms just to be safe, but I am pretty sure that it is less than that)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Input lag isn't as good as a Panasonic plasma, but it is still very good and you will not notice it at all. (I would say it is under 45ms just to be safe, but I am pretty sure that it is less than that)

Pen, have you tried out your c450 with a Blu-Ray source? Do black levels improve with the better Blu-Ray source? I ask this because I was watching some OTA HD last night, and on 16:9 material the black bars didn't seem very black to me (in a pitch black room). In fact, I'd say they would be about equal to the Samsung A550 1080p LCD in the family room in the same pitch black viewing env. I'm not overly disappointed as the general PQ and colors on this set are fabulous, but I was expecting deeper blacks than my LCD being as this is a plasma.

EDIT: Also, anyone tried the MediaPlay/USB port on the TV?? I plug in my digital camera and go to 'photos', but all is shows is a bunch of empty boxes and none of my pictures.

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread