Samsung PNXXc450 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1732 Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

Yes my settings remove this Greentint. try it

Tried them...they definitely remove the green tint, but skin tones seem a bit off and the whites look a little bit cooler...I find myself preferring the defaulted warm2. It only really looks green in dark scenes.
jamesco411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1732 Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
mindsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a PN42C450 and here are my initial thoughts after two days of use (primarily video gaming and one movie watched on it).

The phosphor lag is bad. I didn't notice any in the store. But it should be pointed out that it's most noticeable in games. However you can also easily see it when running the burn-in protection side-scrolling 'screen saver.' When you run that- you'll easily see the border between the white and black appears green. I'm hoping this will dissipate, unfortunately there are conflicting opinions on the internet as to whether or not it will actually lessen over time. If it does not get better, then I'm returning it. The whole reason I bought this tv was to avoid the blur of LCDs. Now I should say that the phosphor lag/trails/whatever-you-want-to-call-them are indeed more desirable than LCDs motion blur. However, for those with high retinal persistence, it will still bother you as it does me. I've read all manner of tweaks to lessen the phosphor trails, and I will attempt them and report back. Not sure if the "edge enhancement" helps- it simply says "empahsize object boundaries" in the instruction manual.

It buzzes. If you live in a moderately sized apartment, be forewarned. However the angle of your location in relation to the tv greatly affects this. Standing over the tv, or off to the side greatly influences the 'timbre' of the buzzing. I'm going to possibly buy some of that foam sound dampening padding (like they have in studios) to put on the wall behind the tv. This is not necessarily a deal breaker- but if the phosphor trails do not subside, I have another thing on my list to tell best buy should i return it.

Overall it seems like an ok set. I have not noticed much image retention at all, and I've played plenty of successive hours of Gran Turismo Prologue and Call of Duty: MW on it.
mindsaber is offline  
post #183 of 1732 Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some Pictures. (my Camera and my photo-taking skill suck)




Leetthal is offline  
post #184 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Newbie
 
dcibrando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looks like it has a lot of screen glare... are you really close to 2 big windows (kinda see them in the photo)
dcibrando is offline  
post #185 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
your blacks in the 3rd picture also look deeper than mine in a dark room.....nice pics
jamesco411 is offline  
post #186 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah i took off angle pictures to show how much Glare there is. A friend has one of those expensive cameras so i'll take better pictures.

as for the windows i have a blue curtain but light still shines through, i need blackout binds.

as for the blacks, they look like that when theres that amount of light from the windows, but at night time it gets slightly brighter.
Leetthal is offline  
post #187 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
dcibrando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does the glare bother you when viewing your tv or is it barely noticable unless you actually look for it

I am building a new house... I will be mounting a tv above my fireplace in my living room which includes a french door (will be able to shade it with curtains however) and a bay window in the open kitchen area with no blinds. Also I will have recessed lights shining downward from the ceiling

should I be concerned about getting a plasma
dcibrando is offline  
post #188 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

Yeah i took off angle pictures to show how much Glare there is. A friend has one of those expensive cameras so i'll take better pictures.

as for the windows i have a blue curtain but light still shines through, i need blackout binds.

as for the blacks, they look like that when theres that amount of light from the windows, but at night time it gets slightly brighter.

Yes, mine do tend to look deeper with some ambient light / overhead light on as well....I had thought it was a dark room in the pic but it looks like there is some light. I do a lot of night time viewing and noticed the blacks tend to brighten up in a completely black room.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #189 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=PENDRAG0ON;18240825]It has a single pane of glass, no internal reflections at all. It also weighs under 60 pounds thanks to this.


And here are a few more updates.

The blacks in a completely dark room are better than a risen Panasonic, but not as good as one out of the box. I'll check out a bias light tonight along with the Dark Knight to see how well that works.

QUOTE]

Have you tried this out? What kind of light did you use? I've been noticing that my blacks are a fair amount deeper when I have lights on in the room, and I'm wondering if a bias light would help deepen the blacks in a totally dark environment.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #190 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Member
 
mezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you guys getting your settings by eyeballing it or are you using a calibration disk?
mezz is offline  
post #191 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post

does the glare bother you when viewing your tv or is it barely noticable unless you actually look for it

I am building a new house... I will be mounting a tv above my fireplace in my living room which includes a french door (will be able to shade it with curtains however) and a bay window in the open kitchen area with no blinds. Also I will have recessed lights shining downward from the ceiling

should I be concerned about getting a plasma

Well the glare is only bad at dark scenes but if you can control the lighting then definitely do that. Some lighting is fine as long as its not directly shined on the Plasma.

Bias lighting is very good, i installed some behind the set and its improves the contrast to my eyes and also gives a cool effect/look.

I definitely will have to get the Blackout binds to reduce glare during the day.
Leetthal is offline  
post #192 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went at Best Buy 2 weeks ago and looked at this and compared it to the Viera and at 42' the Viera looked better but at 50' the Samsung looked better. For some reason both Samsungs look like they had tinted screens but the employee said he didn't notice it. Unfortunately hhgregg has a great sale on it (PN42C450) and I have $20 coupon so I might pull the trigger tomorrow. Hopefully after I get it home and set it up it will look better to me.
speeddmon is offline  
post #193 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

I went at Best Buy 2 weeks ago and looked at this and compared it to the Viera and at 42' the Viera looked better but at 50' the Samsung looked better. For some reason both Samsungs look like they had tinted screens but the employee said he didn't notice it. Unfortunately hhgregg has a great sale on it (PN42C450) and I have $20 coupon so I might pull the trigger tomorrow. Hopefully after I get it home and set it up it will look better to me.

That 20 dollar coupon should be $50...HHGregg has $50 off any TV you just have to sign up for email updates or something like that on the website...takes only a few seconds...This c450 series is an amazing deal...I'm still amazed at the PQ, esp. when I think that my 42" with tax ran me well under 5 bills
jamesco411 is offline  
post #194 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

That 20 dollar coupon should be $50...HHGregg has $50 off any TV you just have to sign up for email updates or something like that on the website...takes only a few seconds...This c450 series is an amazing deal...I'm still amazed at the PQ, esp. when I think that my 42" with tax ran me well under 5 bills

HOT DAMN! Thanks for that info. I'm doing it right now.
speeddmon is offline  
post #195 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its an amazing deal, and after some hours and calibration the PQ is abit better than the Panasonic S1 i had.

Despite being 720p vs the 1080p Panasonic S1 the Samsung has a Sharper picture.

i loved the Panasonic but with the Black level issue and the Annoying 720p Overscan bothering my PS3 gaming i had to make the switch plus i went from 42" to 50"

this Set should hold me off 2-3years and hopefully the Kuros will be surpassed.
Leetthal is offline  
post #196 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

Its an amazing deal, and after some hours and calibration the PQ is abit better than the Panasonic S1 i had.

Despite being 720p vs the 1080p Panasonic S1 the Samsung has a Sharper picture.

i loved the Panasonic but with the Black level issue and the Annoying 720p Overscan bothering my PS3 gaming i had to make the switch plus i went from 42" to 50"

this Set should hold me off 2-3years and hopefully the Kuros will be surpassed.

So you got the 50' Samsung? I have a wii so I don't think it's gaming experience compares to the Xbox360/PS3. I was hoping to hold out for the 50' but I think 42' is big enough for me right now after being on a 32' for so long.
speeddmon is offline  
post #197 of 1732 Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes mines is a 50"

I had 22" Samsung 226BW monitor which i gamed on and was amazing. i then upgraded to a Sharp Aquos 32" and then to a LNT4081F (Local Dimming LED) which was amazing but a remote went through the screen.

After than i got the Panasonic 42S1 and let me tell you the jump from 32 to 42 is going to be amazing! so imagine when i got my first 50" Set. its amazing but after awhile it does seem abit smaller so next will be a 60"

If you can get the 50" but if not the 42" will still be plenty big.
Leetthal is offline  
post #198 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Member
 
Mystique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the PN50B650 in my living room and I want to get a the 42C450 for my bedroom. I have over 300 blu-rays as I'm a avid collector. I was wondering if the 720p will have a major picture quality difference from 1080p? Should I stick with a 1080p set or will the 720p do its job? How will the picture quality compare? Will I be able to tell the difference from 1080p to 720p?
Mystique is offline  
post #199 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Some pics for Wii games would be great
I know these are just pictures, but the blacks look great.
WaveBoy is offline  
post #200 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Some pics for Wii games would be great
I know these are just pictures, but the blacks look great.

Blacks are very good in daytime viewing or if there is some ambient/fluorescent lights in the room (as long as the light isn't directly pointed on screen). I found that they tend to brighten up significantly in a totally dark room, but are still better than LCD blacks. This leads me to believe the black levels in a dark room haven't changed much since the b450 series, but that the biggest improvement has been daytime black levels.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #201 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

I currently have the PN50B650 in my living room and I want to get a the 42C450 for my bedroom. I have over 300 blu-rays as I'm a avid collector. I was wondering if the 720p will have a major picture quality difference from 1080p? Should I stick with a 1080p set or will the 720p do its job? How will the picture quality compare? Will I be able to tell the difference from 1080p to 720p?

Definitely NOT a major difference. Depending on how far you sit, the difference may be very subtle, but I believe most enthusiasts are correct when they assume the average viewer can't discern difference in detail from 720p/1080p. I think the real world differences lie more with processing, black levels, and other general improvements on 1080p models. I find that my c450 plasma is equally as sharp as the 1080p 550 Samsung LCD downstairs with Blu-Ray, and has a sharper/cleaner image than my family members Panny X1.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #202 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Leetthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Definitely NOT a major difference. Depending on how far you sit, the difference may be very subtle, but I believe most enthusiasts are correct when they assume the average viewer can't discern difference in detail from 720p/1080p. I think the real world differences lie more with processing, black levels, and other general improvements on 1080p models. I find that my c450 plasma is equally as sharp as the 1080p 550 Samsung LCD downstairs with Blu-Ray, and has a sharper/cleaner image than my family members Panny X1.

This!
Leetthal is offline  
post #203 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Member
 
blues96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick observations:

1. Has a slight buzz when putting ear up to back panel, a non-issue.
2. Picutre looks great, better than my LG 50pq30 that I exchanged for this one from Amazon. Samsung quite a bit cheaper.
3. Better than LG when it comes motion blur/response time
4. I have windows right behind where I sit so the glare is bad, but that's not the TV's fault. I just purchased a swivel stand that will help. The LG stand had a swivel built in which was nice and helped me with daytime viewing.
5. I don't like that when I switch from one input to another I have to hit enter to make the OSD go away. LG would disappear after a few seconds. Issue when using TV Input button in DirecTv remote.
6. Scrolling graphics (ESPN, FOXNEWS, etc) are much smoother than LG.
7. Haven't messed around much with settings as I am obviously in the break-in period.
8. Blacks do look nice, as good or better than the LG
9. Don't see the horizontal lines that have been discussed, however if I get close to the TV I can see what people are talking about. Not an issue unless you like to sit real close, but who does?
10. Can't figure out why I can't access the melody, V-Chip section in the set up menu, they are greyed out an not accessible. Anyone?
11. Also see an option to change HDMI black level but can't access this menu item either? Anyone?

OVERALL IT APPEARS TO BE A GREAT BUY!!!
blues96 is offline  
post #204 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
did any of you buy the extended warranty plan from wherever you brought it?
speeddmon is offline  
post #205 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Member
 
blues96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope didn't take advantage of any extended warranty through Amazon.
blues96 is offline  
post #206 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
poohba86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

did any of you buy the extended warranty plan from wherever you brought it?

I got the 2 year warranty from Fry's Electronics that covers everything that Samsung refuses to like dead pixels. It sort of seems like buying one of these plasmas can be a crapshoot so I figured the extra money would be worth my peace of mind in case something went wrong. And of course I knew that as soon as I purchased the extended warranty my tv would work perfectly.
poohba86 is offline  
post #207 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohba86 View Post

I got the 2 year warranty from Fry's Electronics that covers everything that Samsung refuses to like dead pixels. It sort of seems like buying one of these plasmas can be a crapshoot so I figured the extra money would be worth my peace of mind in case something went wrong. And of course I knew that as soon as I purchased the extended warranty my tv would work perfectly.

Either that or it would mess up the day after your warranty ends lol. Someone said don't buy warranty on a tv if it's less than 800 or something so I don't know. I bought a warranty on my wii but not on my pc when I bought them. Both have worked fine although since I modded my wii I kind of voided my warrant but anyhoo since I'm getting it from hhgregg I don't know. This is my first new tv so I'm excited and frightened with the plasma horror stories of noir.
speeddmon is offline  
post #208 of 1732 Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just went and got it at hhgregg. The 5 year warranty plan runs $200 but I might as well pay for a bigger/better tv if I were to do that. Wasn't in stock but truck is bringing it in tomorrow so will pick up then. Even the guy that worked there said I got a deal. So I got what I wanted and stayed within my $500 budget . Now let's hope it works/looks fine. Has anyone heard of SquareTrade? They do warranties on stuff you purchase and I was thinking of getting one as a cheap alternative to the hhgregg one. Thanks
speeddmon is offline  
post #209 of 1732 Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
cumbaya19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is this TV 3D ready like the B450?
cumbaya19 is offline  
post #210 of 1732 Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Member
 
speeddmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbaya19 View Post

is this TV 3D ready like the B450?

I don't think so. Went and picked up tv today and damn how hard it is to get the screws in the stand. I had to go buy a power drill and drill bit to make the holes bigger to get the screws all the way in. Turned on the tv and right side of the tv had vertical bars going through the picture, only the left half worked fine. Returned to hhgregg and now I may have to wait until April 10 to get another cause they say it's on back order of 750.
speeddmon is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c450 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off