The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4934 View Post

I have been using wireless G to stream Netflix for over a year with my Roku. No problems. Any problems with speed would be with your internet provider. For an acceptable download (SD) you would need at least 2 mps (notice I said acceptable) for HD you are going to need 4-5 (more would be better). Wireless "G" can support 54 mps I believe, so that will not be a limitation. Netflix streaming on the Panny looks very good.

Good news! Thanks a lot for the info. I currently have Comcast cable internet. I think I'm gonna order the Netgear adapter since the Panasonic adapter is so expensive.

My wireless devices tend to connect to the router at 36Mbps or 54Mbps but that does not necessarily mean that data transfer is always that fast.

Viken K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Tonight while looking at a Netflix movie I brought up the picture menu. For some reason the THX setting was replaced with Cinema. It seemed to have the same setting choices as the THX mode. I tried this on You Tube and, apparently, when using the Internet apps you get the Cinema mode rather than THX (I get the THX mode whenever on cable, satellite, etc.). No problem, but why?

I noticed that too. It seems that when you use the Viera tools (image viewer or Viera cast) the picture setting names change. You get "Cinema" instead of "THX" and "Photo" instead of "Custom". I think that this may be a hold-over from the "old days" when Panasonic TV's did not have a THX mode. I *think* the picture calibrations are the same as THX but I'm not sure. I'm wondering about that myself.

Viken K.
post #4413 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Man I love the G20.... but the phosphor trails in MW2 are driving me insane. Apparently only 1% of the population have eyes sensitive enough to see phosphor trails.
post #4414 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM

I've been having an issue with Image retention. Thankfully, a few hours of color slides and bar wipes fix it, but it's still frustrating that I can't even play BlazBlue:CS without the life bars getting stuck in the screen.

I'm hoping things normal out after the 1000 hour mark, so I'm grinding out as much time on those color slides as I can while I work.
post #4415 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikenK View Post

Good news! Thanks a lot for the info. I currently have Comcast cable internet. I think I'm gonna order the Netgear adapter since the Panasonic adapter is so expensive.

My wireless devices tend to connect to the router at 36Mbps or 54Mbps but that does not necessarily mean that data transfer is always that fast.

Unless you know otherwise that netgear won't work. The os in the tv only has a kernel driver for one nic. Whatever the panny nic is.

Can you do MoCa or powerline to your multimedia area? Getting a wire and a small hub to that area is a real advantage. I never have to worry about crappy wireless lag or expensive wifi cards. I got the netgear moca set on eBay from bestbuy outlet.
post #4416 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude101 View Post

Man I love the G20.... but the phosphor trails in MW2 are driving me insane. Apparently only 1% of the population have eyes sensitive enough to see phosphor trails.

dude, enough with the phosphor trails! how many times are you going to post about it....?
post #4417 of 8543 Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydon View Post

Unless you know otherwise that netgear won't work. The os in the tv only has a kernel driver for one nic. Whatever the panny nic is.

Can you do MoCa or powerline to your multimedia area? Getting a wire and a small hub to that area is a real advantage. I never have to worry about crappy wireless lag or expensive wifi cards. I got the netgear moca set on eBay from bestbuy outlet.

The Netgear WNDA3100 is the only other approved adapter to be used on the Panasonic TV. I was told this by Panasonic when I called to ask them about it. Thanks for the head's up though. I'll have to look into the Moca, as you suggested.

Viken K.
post #4418 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:

That's my main gripe with the PAnasonic remote - No "Picture" button, it's buried in a menu instead. What's worse, the picture setting doesn't minimize to the bottom of the screen (like it does with the other settings) so you can check out the whole picture on the whole TV. Instead, the full menu stays up and you can only see a portion of the TV.

That being said, you may not need to switch picture settings. The TV remembers which setting was used in each input and switches to that setting automatically when you change to that input. So, if you're like me, you use HDMI-1 for cable/TV and HDMI-2 for your Blu Ray player. When I switch to HDMI-2 to watch a DVD/BD, the picture setting changes to THX automatically and I don't have to think about it. When I switch back to HDMI-1 to watch TV, the picture switches back to "Custom" mode.

Hope this helps.

I did not realize that. That will definitely help although I would still like to create a macro on my remote with different picture settings to simplify things for the rest of my family. Maybe I will head over to remotecentral and see if anyone has any ideas.
post #4419 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 AM

Hello, All

I recently purchased a 55 inch 6300 Samy LED, and I was very pleased with it until I started looking at the 50 G20. Now, I am seriously thinking of purchasing the 50G20 for my bedroom, and this tv would almost be exclusively used for PS3 gaming (MW2). Will the Tv be able to connect to my Airport extreme router after purchasing the wireless dongle?

Thanks in advance, I'm very new to this!
post #4420 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The Netgear WNDA3100 is the only other approved adapter to be used on the Panasonic TV. I was told this by Panasonic when I called to ask them about it. Thanks for the head's up though. I'll have to look into the Moca, as you suggested.

Also stated from Netgear:

http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/wifitv.aspx

This is pretty cool, I think, and I'm glad someone posted about it. It makes sense since Panasonic is not in the wifi adapter business and we all knew someone else made it for them. I'm just glad that they're coming out and saying it (and supporting it) instead of tinkerers like us finding out on our own and doing things "unsupported". (The Wii adapter comes to mind.)

post #4421 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsudaMan View Post

dude, enough with the phosphor trails! how many times are you going to post about it....?

BAHAHAAH! No kidding huh? Must have seen him nonchalantly just say it now a couple of times. And its gotta be greater than 1%. It's there, its not there all the time, so yeah you won't even notice it soon enough
post #4422 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I have been using wireless G to stream Netflix for over a year with my Roku. No problems. Any problems with speed would be with your internet provider. For an acceptable download (SD) you would need at least 2 mps (notice I said acceptable) for HD you are going to need 4-5 (more would be better). Wireless "G" can support 54 mps I believe, so that will not be a limitation. Netflix streaming on the Panny looks very good.

You could use a wireless bridge/Access point. this device will connect to your current router wirelessly N/G. You can then hook up to 4 devices via the lan ports on the back.

I currently use this setup with my G20. I have streamed Amazon, and Neflix with no issues.

Network setup:
D-link DIR - 825 wireless router
D-link DAP- 1522 Bridge / Access Point

picked up both on e-bay for relatively cheap
post #4423 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscar99 View Post

You could use a wireless bridge/Access point. this device will connect to your current router wirelessly N/G. You can then hook up to 4 devices via the lan ports on the back.

Yes! That works quite well.. here's a link describing how to convert a plain vanilla home router into a wireless bridge: http://www.dvrplayground.com/article...hernet-Bridge/
post #4424 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Tonight while looking at a Netflix movie I brought up the picture menu. For some reason the THX setting was replaced with Cinema. It seemed to have the same setting choices as the THX mode. I tried this on You Tube and, apparently, when using the Internet apps you get the Cinema mode rather than THX (I get the THX mode whenever on cable, satellite, etc.). No problem, but why?

Quote:

I noticed that too. It seems that when you use the Viera tools (image viewer or Viera cast) the picture setting names change. You get "Cinema" instead of "THX" and "Photo" instead of "Custom". I think that this may be a hold-over from the "old days" when Panasonic TV's did not have a THX mode. I *think* the picture calibrations are the same as THX but I'm not sure. I'm wondering about that myself.

It actually changes the TV setting from THX to Cinema. I know because I didn't have my Cinema setting adjusted and the picture was horrible. You also lose some settings in the menu when using VeiraCast.
post #4425 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:

If you like razor sharp images and it's a major concern for you, I'd take a good long look at LCD/LED as well. I did a bit of TV shopping at several stores and one thing that all salesmen told me is that LCD pictures tend to be sharper than plasma, although plasma has overall better picture quality. I would have to agree with them. The LCD TV's I saw (mostly LED) did have a more sharp, crisp and clean image but still could not compete with plasma in the overall picture quality. The black levels and contrast simply cannot compete with Panasonic's plasmas. Also, LED/LCD tv's have a more un-natural look, in my opinion. Plasma TV's have a more natural, CRT-like picture. Also, plasmas also win in viewing angle and motion smoothness.

That being said, I still think you'll be very happy with a G25. I know I am.

Have you had a chance to the pk550 in person?

I def. wanna go plasma, and right now am deciding between the g25 pnd pk550.
post #4426 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

I do agree with everything you say here. Plasmas show more grain than LCD. I did think the Samsung plasma picture was cleaner than the Panasonic but I preferred the Panasonic's picture. The Samsung seemed to do better with noise control.

I agree that setting the sharpness to 75 exacerbates noise, but note that 75 is Panasonic's default setting for sharpness in almost all of its picture settings. Some are even higher. I have mine at 40.

Viken

Try setting your sharpness control at either zero or the mid-point, whichever does zero processing. On last year's Panasonics the correct setting was zero.

Sharpness control is a leftover from the original color TV's in 1954. It was added because color was taking up about 200 of the 525 lines of the NTSC signal. All sharpness has ever done is to add video noise to the picture. On an 18" color TV from 1954, this probably produced what looked like a sharper picture. However, the sharpness control has probably been useless since at least the late 1970's or early 1980's. It has no place at all on a digital television as digital processing will bring you all of the detail from the original picture. Manufacturers have all left the control in place, because most consumers would feel they were missing something if it wasn't there.

Turn it off. If you think the picture looks muddy, adjust it mildly, but no more than about 10-15. Watch the picture that way for a week. Most people who try this and then move the control back to its original setting come away wondering what they were thinking with the original setting.

If you have a good test pattern, most of the instructions for these tell you to adjust the sharpness upward until you start to see hair growing from the straight lines, then turn it back until the hair disappears. If your pattern is detailed enough, you will probably see that some of the finer lines are touching and merging into one another as you increase sharpness. In effect, what you are losing is detail as you increase sharpness. Remember, sharpness is only video noise. One of the pluses of digital TV is to remove video noise. Don't add it back in there.

David Freeman
post #4427 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just came back from a store called PC richard & son's they sell tvs and stuff
they are pretty good. they had the G-25 set up but they had a dvd with
rca jacks playing transformers moive. i really like the G 20 and 25.
should i waite for superbowl and the prices will come down or just waite for 2011 models
post #4428 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfhex View Post

For those of you who've used the PS3 disc, the interface looks exactly the same. It seems a little more responsive. Supports HD.

So I did some more watching and Netflix playback seems a little "jumpy" like the processor can't quite keep up during some scenes (not all the time). Think I'll have to stick to 360/PS3 playback unless they can improve performance.
post #4429 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I currently use this setup with my G20. I have streamed Amazon, and Neflix with no issues.

Network setup:

I am using that set up except with a Linksys wireless router and a Linksys (cisco) multiport adapter/bridge/access point.
post #4430 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaista2k View Post

Have you had a chance to the pk550 in person?

I def. wanna go plasma, and right now am deciding between the g25 pnd pk550.

No, I haven't. I only compared the G25 to the Samsung 6500 series plasma (which s the same as the 6400 series found in BJ's, Costco, etc). Overall The Samsung PQ was very good but could not match the black levels and contrast of the G25. It did seem do a better job with noise control. It had a a touch less grain (oh God, there's the "G" word again!) in the picture compared to the G25 when they were both plugged into the same source and were showing the same picture.

I love the G25 picture, though. The grain "issue" is not really an issue at all. It's negligible, really.

Viken K.
post #4431 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM

Great forum here. I've only read a few posts about buzzing on this set and mine seems to be affected. I've had my panny since Saturday. Should these sets run essentially silent or is some buzzing to be expected? My 54" has an audible low and high frequency buzz from the back that I can hear while seated about eight feet away, even while watching a movie. The buzz gets louder on bright scenes. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
post #4432 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM

With volume off in a dead silent room you can hear the power supplies lightly buzzing (eminates from top rear corners) from 6 to 8 feet away. With volume up the buzzing should go away (its actually still there but overridden by volume of set). With volume up and screen moving to bright whites you will here a buzz eminating from screen itself as opposed to rear of set.
I called Panasonic and was told this was normal. Depending on your level of tolerance it may or may not be a deal breaker, in most cases my PVR player is louder. I debated several times while I had the opportunity about returning the set for a LED-LCD Sony which are silent but cant match the superb picture of the Panny. I was annoyed at first but have grown accustomed to it . This may change with hockey and skiing but F1 is fine. The only negative I have with this set is the buzz but alternatives leave little other choice IMHO. And I knew this going in, that's why I bought the lower cost 50 G25 as opposed to 65 VT25 which had been my intention. But C$5K for a 65" w buzz was not good value IMHO.
post #4433 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM
fev

Serious Netflix a/v sync issues with my g25 this evening. Audio leading the video significantly.
post #4434 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpug View Post

Great forum here. I've only read a few posts about buzzing on this set and mine seems to be affected. I've had my panny since Saturday. Should these sets run essentially silent or is some buzzing to be expected? My 54" has an audible low and high frequency buzz from the back that I can hear while seated about eight feet away, even while watching a movie. The buzz gets louder on bright scenes. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

My 54" has no buzz at any volume level or any distance.
post #4435 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Network setup:

I do this with my ps3 and g25 using a Linksys WRT54GS and WRT54GL running Tomato firmware. The routers have much better antennas so while I was getting ~5mbps using the ps3 wireless I get ~25mbps using the GL in bridged mode. Well worth the money.

PSN: MakoCSH
post #4436 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug View Post

My 54" has no buzz at any volume level or any distance.

Are you sure it's on?

Kidding of course.

Mike
post #4437 of 8543 Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post

I did not realize that. That will definitely help although I would still like to create a macro on my remote with different picture settings to simplify things for the rest of my family. Maybe I will head over to remotecentral and see if anyone has any ideas.

If you find an answer, please post it here. Your question was asked earlier in this thread, and no discrete codes were uncovered, probably since no dedicated button exists on the remote.

My Sandy Bridge Gaming/HTPC Build

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #4438 of 8543 Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Liked: 14
Thanks for this post, I've wondered for a long time what 'sharpness' meant for HD digtial. This post is the why I check this site off and on. They sure don't so a good job in the manual describing a lot of the picture settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Viken
"Try setting your sharpness control at either zero or the mid-point, whichever does zero processing. On last year's Panasonics the correct setting was zero.

Sharpness control is a leftover from the original color TV's in 1954. It was added because color was taking up about 200 of the 525 lines of the NTSC signal. All sharpness has ever done is to add video noise to the picture. On an 18" color TV from 1954, this probably produced what looked like a sharper picture. However, the sharpness control has probably been useless since at least the late 1970's or early 1980's. It has no place at all on a digital television as digital processing will bring you all of the detail from the original picture. Manufacturers have all left the control in place, because most consumers would feel they were missing something if it wasn't there.

Turn it off. If you think the picture looks muddy, adjust it mildly, but no more than about 10-15. Watch the picture that way for a week. Most people who try this and then move the control back to its original setting come away wondering what they were thinking with the original setting.

If you have a good test pattern, most of the instructions for these tell you to adjust the sharpness upward until you start to see hair growing from the straight lines, then turn it back until the hair disappears. If your pattern is detailed enough, you will probably see that some of the finer lines are touching and merging into one another as you increase sharpness. In effect, what you are losing is detail as you increase sharpness. Remember, sharpness is only video noise. One of the pluses of digital TV is to remove video noise. Don't add it back in there.

post #4439 of 8543 Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky3c View Post

Is there a way to start Pandora on the g20 and then turn the screen off so you don't burn it with the static Pandora image?

I use Pandora on my Panny and after a few minutes, it is not static, it turns into like a screen saver and flips and moves around the screen.
post #4440 of 8543 Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Just want to give anybody who has purchased this set in the recent past and is still under a price guarantee a heads up. Seems like Panasonic has dropped the price in the last day or so. Might want to check your point of purchase for a price adjustment. Hope this doesn't violate the "no price talk" thing but to me it makes a great TV even greater when I get if for less.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays