The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 54" G20 available anywhere to purchase in the Southern Californian area?

I've been scanning all the stores, but I can't find any of these sets above 50".

Emotiva + Energy = Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-nice View Post

and your orginal post was completely wrong.

How so oh great one?

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US ALL!

ALL MY MONEY I SPENT ON AUDIO AND VIDEO; THE REST I JUST WASTED!
post #453 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-007 View Post

Is the 54" G20 available anywhere to purchase in the Southern Californian area?

I've been scanning all the stores, but I can't find any of these sets above 50".

It's available on Panasonic's website, dunno when you'd get it though. I put in my order for one through EPP the other day because the price was too nice to resist It says it ships in 4 weeks, but now the product page has them shipping in 3-5 days. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman1666 View Post

How so oh great one?

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US ALL!

Read the last two pages numbnuts, your idea was debunked - the counter goes up by 256 for every hour. Digits after the colon are the # of times the set's been powered on.
post #454 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

...I put in my order for one through EPP the other day because the price was too nice to resist It says it ships in 4 weeks, but now the product page has them shipping in 3-5 days. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise!

I have been checking the EPP site every week since the TC-P50G25 has been available and have watched the price get lower and lower. I just checked again today and the price is definitely too nice to pass up (about 30% off). I had been waiting to see some reviews on the LG PK950 before I made my decision, but I couldn't resist and just pulled the trigger.

Does anybody have any idea why the price is dropping so much? Even with some of the flaws, I can't believe a display like this can be had for such a great deal.
post #455 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilko View Post

I have been checking the EPP site every week since the TC-P50G25 has been available and have watched the price get lower and lower. I just checked again today and the price is definitely too nice to pass up (about 30% off). I had been waiting to see some reviews on the LG PK950 before I made my decision, but I couldn't resist and just pulled the trigger.

Does anybody have any idea why the price is dropping so much? Even with some of the flaws, I can't believe a display like this can be had for such a great deal.

Does it show estimated ship date as June for you?
post #456 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

Does it show estimated ship date as June for you?

Yes. One thing I failed to mention in my previous post was the estimated ship date. Over the weeks, the estimated ship date is getting farther out. IIRC, when I first started looking the date was April, then May, now it is June.
post #457 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilko View Post

Yes, estimated ship date for me is June. Not sure how accurate this is.

That sucks. Other sizes are 3-5 buss days. Not sure what's the deal with 50" ones.
post #458 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

First time poster here,...I want to purchase the p42g25 but no area stores in Massachusetts carry it so I'm forced to purchase via internet. It is available at many sites, some for below $1,000 but I worry about how safe these sites are. Can anyone recommend a proven site I could buy from? I see Vann's and Wholesale AV a lot. What is this EPP site I see folks mentioning?

...and any proud owners have any comments on how window and light glare are improved for daytime viewing? I had purchased a Samsung LED LCD last month but had it return it (movies and sports were terrible, the movement was too fake) however it was very bright in the daytime Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
post #459 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my company does not use epp, but is there any other ways to get an epp # for purchasing straight from panny?
post #460 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra30 View Post

my company does not use epp, but is there any other ways to get an epp # for purchasing straight from panny?

I don't believe so. The site states "Only registered users can access the Panasonic Purchase Program. If you haven't registered yet, you can do so only through your company's Intranet."
post #461 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuffChuck View Post

Can anyone recommend a proven site I could buy from? I see Vann's and Wholesale AV a lot. What is this EPP site I see folks mentioning?

I've been happy with Vann's, zero problems (most recent purchase was a digicam late last year). Other big virtual stores I've purchased from that have the G25's are Onecall, Best Buy, and Crutchfield. Pricing deals will vary.

EPP is Panasonic's Employee Purchase Program. Its available as a perk through certain employers, typically larger corporations.
post #462 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 PM

I got my G20 last Saturday. Last night I was watching the tv and got a green screen. I could pull up and see the TV menu. The only way I could get the green screen to go away was to turn off the TV and back on again. When I came home today it did the same thing. Been watching it for the last couple and hours.

My cable box is hooked up with a HDMI cable. Not sure if the HDMI cable would cause this or maybe my cable box. Never had the problem with the LCD that the G20 replaced. Anyone ever seen this happen or got any ideas.
post #463 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Vann's was great - on time and easy to work with.

I've been casually watching the G25 over the last couple of weeks. While he G25 isn't on the same level with my Pio-151, it's an excellent plasma for 1/4 the cost.
post #464 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamattd View Post

read the last two pages numbnuts, your idea was debunked - the counter goes up by 256 for every hour. Digits after the color are the # of times the set's been powered on.

After the color?

After the colon...that's what i said in the original post!

ALL MY MONEY I SPENT ON AUDIO AND VIDEO; THE REST I JUST WASTED!
post #465 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernsehen2009 View Post

Vann's was great - on time and easy to work with.

I've been casually watching the G25 over the last couple of weeks. While he G25 isn't on the same level with my Pio-151, it's an excellent plasma for 1/4 the cost.

The color accuracy of your G25 is better than all 9G Pioneers.

D-Nice said: "The G20 is not in any way, shape or form a 9G Kuro except when it comes to color. It beats a 9G Elite/Signature/KRP Kuro when it comes to the dE of the blue color point (THX mode only). The other 5 color points equal the Kuros in accuracy."
post #466 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Hey everyone. New here. As you can see by my username i just bought a 50G20. So far its amazing. Color and blacks are great. Just hopefully i dont see a big jump in blacks like last years model but now to my real question.

When i watch Blu-rays and DVD's, the black bars on the top and bottow seem to get darker and lighter on their own when a scene changes...not all the time but sometime. Is this normal for these TV or plasmas or am i just losing my mind? I have it in THX mode if that helps. Thanks all

Edit: So i am not losing my mind. I just rewinded a DVD back and forth and got close to the TV and it got lighter when it changed scenes. I think my old LCD use to do this as well. Do all TVs do this? It goes from a black to a greyish black. Normal TV its fine, only when watching a DVD or blu-ray with the black bars
post #467 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiznatchX View Post

Do most of you guys watch 4:3 with the pillar boxing? I thought that was a plasma no-no...

Ppl still say first week of new plasma to stretch, fill zoom that for 4:3 viewing. Or lighten the bars to gray. As your set gets broken in a little within first 50-100 hours. However most ppl are fine and dont do much of anything, as has been said Plasmas these days burn ins and IR just thing of past at least with top brands and models. However initial break-in period would be most susceptible just precautionary imo...
post #468 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

That sucks. Other sizes are 3-5 buss days. Not sure what's the deal with 50" ones.

Mine said shipping "April to May" when I ordered, and it arrived one week ago. I wonder if they will refund the difference since it has dropped so much in one week?
post #469 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

Hey everyone. New here. As you can see by my username i just bought a 50G20. So far its amazing. Color and blacks are great. Just hopefully i dont see a big jump in blacks like last years model but now to my real question.

When i watch Blu-rays and DVD's, the black bars on the top and bottow seem to get darker and lighter on their own when a scene changes...not all the time but sometime. Is this normal for these TV or plasmas or am i just losing my mind? I have it in THX mode if that helps. Thanks all

Edit: So i am not losing my mind. I just rewinded a DVD back and forth and got close to the TV and it got lighter when it changed scenes. I think my old LCD use to do this as well. Do all TVs do this? It goes from a black to a greyish black. Normal TV its fine, only when watching a DVD or blu-ray with the black bars

your not losing your mind, my 50g20 does this as well. anyways to get rid of this?

edit: i like how i post one coupon link (when i didnt know it was against the "rules") and get my posts in this thread deleted...even the one that had a legitimate concern. a pm telling me to edit it wouldnt have sufficed so that i can still get my question answered?
post #470 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorvick View Post

Under custom, in the pro section there is a feature called AGC, the default setting is 7, but I usually turn it down to 1 or 2, because it seems to put a shine, overly contrastly, (for a lack of a better word) on people faces or the bright areas of the scene. The manual says it supposed to make the dark scenes brighter, but it appears it lightens the brighter areas too. And when I turn it off the picture is duller with overstaturated colors, and I have to compensate my brightness up 5-6 clicks and move the color down at least 6 clicks. Normally my settings are at 50 for these. Could anybody explain what this really does?

In my experience it lightened the blacks and also washed out/desaturated the whole picture. I turned it to 0. With my Custom mode settings (similar to what D-Nice posted in the calibration thread) I have color at 33 and it's pretty colorful still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

So i am not losing my mind. I just rewinded a DVD back and forth and got close to the TV and it got lighter when it changed scenes. I think my old LCD use to do this as well. Do all TVs do this? It goes from a black to a greyish black. Normal TV its fine, only when watching a DVD or blu-ray with the black bars

I belive they're called "floating blacks". There were some posts from Chad B and D-nice earlier in the thread. I noticed it too while watching a letterbox DVD, haven't watched anything letterboxed since adjusting my picture settings though. Not really seen LCDs do this but then the blacks are so bad at any angle outside the sweet spot that you probably wouldn't notice.
post #471 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM

So I got my 50G25 on March 10 and been playing Final Fantasy XIII on it pretty frequently. No HUD display or image is ever present on the screen full time while I'm playing. It probably goes something like 1minute - 5minute battles displaying those hud elements -> Followed by some walking in the field for 1-3minutes which is completely HUD free. I figured that Since no element is ever on the screen the entire time the TV would not get burn-in. However, looking at my TV now in complete darkness reveals the battle HUD burned in. How is that possible? I thought Plasma's were pretty much burn-in free at this point unless you left the TV on with a static image/hud on for a LONG TIME. What gives?
post #472 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Floating blacks eh? Can anyone else confirm this or have heard of this?
post #473 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerdog View Post

.....However, looking at my TV now in complete darkness reveals the battle HUD burned in. How is that possible? I thought Plasma's were pretty much burn-in free at this point unless you left the TV on with a static image/hud on for a LONG TIME. What gives?

It can't be burn-in - that would take several months of abuse to occur.

If you're seeing this "burn-in" of your HUD while looking at a black screen with no input then that's not burn-in, it's residual charge and is not normally visible when actually watching TV programming etc. All of my Plasmas have been doing this for their entire lives, yet i have no Burn-In and IR goes away almost immediately. My Tube TVs did the same thing.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #474 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It can't be burn-in - that would take several months of abuse to occur.

If you're seeing this "burn-in" of your HUD while looking at a black screen with no input then that's not burn-in, it's residual charge and is not normally visible when actually watching TV programming etc. All of my Plasmas have been doing this for their entire lives, yet i have no Burn-In and IR goes away almost immediately. My Tube TVs did the same thing.

I forgot to mention that I cannot see those residual images while watching movies/tv/other games, etc. Thanks for clearing that up, this is my first Plasma and I'm loving it so I was just worried about that.
post #475 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Heads up guys:

I purchased a g20 from Best Buy on March 6th. I also purchased their new Panasonic Blue Ray player. The THX setting mode out of the box is gorgeous. But wait, there's more.. The first blue ray I viewed was the Matrix, 10th Anniversary Edition. I loved this G20 until I saw the gamma levels change 4 times during the scene when Trinity rolls down the stairway and aims her guns up at the window. I also noticed the same "lightening and darkening" of the screen while watching a scene from Pirates 3 between Keira and Orlando, set on the ship at night. I rewind and watch it over again and can see it every time. This drives me nuts.

What's frustrating is that the gamma/brightness shift is not simultaneous with the scene changing: the set takes a moment to adjust to the frame in the movie. A darker scene in the movie with more blacks causes the set to adjust and the blacks become "darker" a few moments later. It is so obvious that I am not able to watch blue rays in the dark at this time, and I'm even considering returning the set. Call me picky, fine. But I'm not happy about this issue. After tinkering, I realized that the shift is less evident when the set is watched on the "dark" setting found in the advanced menu. Also, on the "custom mode" set up, I can set the gamma to 2.6 on the pro menu and eliminate the problem. The downside with both these settings is I lose all grays and contrasts, unless I raise brightness to something like 100. Is this called crushing of blacks? Either way, it's pissing me off. I've been on the phone with Panasonic for several hours now 3 times. I know more about the problem than their techs, and I'm a novice. I've even inquired about whether "infinite black pro" will eliminate this issue. No one I've spoken with even knows the difference between infinite black and infinite black pro. Lovely.

My question: Is there any way to fix or lesson this change? The poster known as D-Nice seems incredibly knowledgeable, but I'm not even sure how to ask this question the right way, as I do not know enough about these issues. It seems this is the nature of the beast. What alternatives are there? Can anyone please help?

-Picky guy in CA
post #476 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I forgot to mention that I cannot see those residual images while watching movies/tv/other games, etc. Thanks for clearing that up, this is my first Plasma and I'm loving it so I was just worried about that.

Don't be worried. To echo Randy, if you can't see it on content then all is well. Also, as you put more hours on the set the residual charge effect will lessen. As a precaution, you may want to keep gaming/static images to a minimum and turn down the contrast a bit for the first few weeks if you don't plan on doing a formal break in. Of course, this is if you're one of the "better safe than sorry" guys like myself.
post #477 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 133
can anybody find the 42" G20? I can find the 42" G25 and the 50" G20, but no luck with the 42"...is it available yet? Sorry if this has been addressed already.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #478 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine03 View Post

Heads up guys:

I purchased a g20 from Best Buy on March 6th. I also purchased their new Panasonic Blue Ray player. The THX setting mode out of the box is gorgeous. But wait, there's more.. The first blue ray I viewed was the Matrix, 10th Anniversary Edition. I loved this G20 until I saw the gamma levels change 4 times during the scene when Trinity rolls down the stairway and aims her guns up at the window. I also noticed the same "lightening and darkening" of the screen while watching a scene from Pirates 3 between Keira and Orlando, set on the ship at night. I rewind and watch it over again and can see it every time. This drives me nuts.

What's frustrating is that the gamma/brightness shift is not simultaneous with the scene changing: the set takes a moment to adjust to the frame in the movie. A darker scene in the movie with more blacks causes the set to adjust and the blacks become "darker" a few moments later. It is so obvious that I am not able to watch blue rays in the dark at this time, and I'm even considering returning the set. Call me picky, fine. But I'm not happy about this issue. After tinkering, I realized that the shift is less evident when the set is watched on the "dark" setting found in the advanced menu. Also, on the "custom mode" set up, I can set the gamma to 2.6 on the pro menu and eliminate the problem. The downside with both these settings is I lose all grays and contrasts, unless I raise brightness to something like 100. Is this called crushing of blacks? Either way, it's pissing me off. I've been on the phone with Panasonic for several hours now 3 times. I know more about the problem than their techs, and I'm a novice. I've even inquired about whether "infinite black pro" will eliminate this issue. No one I've spoken with even knows the difference between infinite black and infinite black pro. Lovely.

My question: Is there any way to fix or lesson this change? The poster known as D-Nice seems incredibly knowledgeable, but I'm not even sure how to ask this question the right way, as I do not know enough about these issues. It seems this is the nature of the beast. What alternatives are there? Can anyone please help?

-Picky guy in CA

Have you tried a different player?...I just tired pirates on my PS3 and I don't see it.
post #479 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Yeah it scares a lot of people until they understand that it's harmless. Here's a few of the half-dozen or so threads about the phenomenon:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post14496410

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post16164661

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #480 of 8543 Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

can anybody find the 42" G20? I can find the 42" G25 and the 50" G20, but no luck with the 42"...is it available yet? Sorry if this has been addressed already.

It was addressed on the first page of this thread. There is no 42" G20 (well maybe there is in Europe and Asia, but not in North America).

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page