The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Ive had my G20 since may and haven't noticed any motion blur in games or tv/movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeKing View Post

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling the 85 lacked in ability a little. I hadn't fiddled with it much but I tried Amazon on the 85, wired through my 200mbps powerline adapter, and couldn't get HD speeds but could using the wireless adapter with the G25.

Good idea for Pandora too.

Your Powerline Adapter is not giving you 200mbps, lets get that out of the way. I doubt you could even stream a HD content from a in home media server to a box that is connected to it. Take a guess at how I would know this.

Just stick with wireless unless you have a long ass CAT5/6 cable that you'd be happy to run from the modem to the TV/BD player.
post #5313 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin23 View Post

Yes, I did have my nose right up to the screen

I first noticed the lines while doing a close inspection of the screen when I first got it and they are absolutely NOT noticeable from normal TV viewing distance. You described exactly what I am seeing, only the far right-most and left-most pixel columns display the green and purple. Now that I have seen the same lines on 3 different Panasonic plasmas as Sears and two others have mentioned seeing the lines, I'm not too worried. My G25 is a September 2010 build. I also wonder why they are there from a technical perspective, especially because I didn't see them on a Samsung plasma that I also inspected while at Sears.

I just took a look at my September build 50G20. What you are seeing is the individual colors (RGB) that make up the pixel. On the left edge it's the Red and on the right edge it's the Green. The only reason they are visible is because there's nothing next to the individual cell. It's also why they only really appear on a whitish color screen as all of the colors are turned on. Nothing to see here. Move along.
post #5314 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Need to know if I should be able to change Black Level when watching SD content. My set locks this setting to 'dark' in SD mode.
post #5315 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM

No motion blur. Fantastic picture, never going back to an LCD.

No signature here...
post #5316 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Any have or know if a Linksys WUSB54GSC Wireless G USB adapter with Speed Boost will work on the Panny? They are on sale for real cheap.
post #5317 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng View Post

Any have or know if a Linksys WUSB54GSC Wireless G USB adapter with Speed Boost will work on the Panny? They are on sale for real cheap.

From what i've read you have two choices. Get a wifi bridge and use wired from that, or get the panasonic wifi adapter. I'm going the wifi bridge so that I can strengthen wifi around my house as well as get 2 ethernet ports to use for whatever i want.
post #5318 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 View Post

From what i've read you have two choices. Get a wifi bridge and use wired from that, or get the panasonic wifi adapter. I'm going the wifi bridge so that I can strengthen wifi around my house as well as get 2 ethernet ports to use for whatever i want.

Slight correction - *three* choices.

1. Wired. Can be accomplished by direct cable run to the router, powerline, wireless bridge, etc.

2. OEM Panasonic wifi adapter

3. Netgear WNDA3100 v2 wifi adapter

I'm using the Netgear adapter with a Netgear WNDR3700 dual-band Wireless-N router, and the performance is fantastic. The VieraCast apps work flawlessly, and all the other wireless devices around the house perform great also. Very pleased I decided to upgrade the home network at the same time the TV arrived.
post #5319 of 8543 Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Tonight I sat down and watched REPO! The Geneatic Opera and I must say...during the dark scenes I did notice a little bit of how would you say..grids of light fighting the dark. Don't know if it was just that way because of that movie but I'm going to try out another darker movie and see if that happens. It was around the ending where the girl is singing and the spot light is on her. But all around it dark and it gave it a grid like line. Its not distracting since you're supposed to be focusing on the girl it was something I noticed.
post #5320 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post

Tonight I sat down and watched REPO! The Geneatic Opera and I must say...during the dark scenes I did notice a little bit of how would you say..grids of light fighting the dark. Don't know if it was just that way because of that movie but I'm going to try out another darker movie and see if that happens. It was around the ending where the girl is singing and the spot light is on her. But all around it dark and it gave it a grid like line. Its not distracting since you're supposed to be focusing on the girl it was something I noticed.

What do you mean by grids ? Line bleed or floating blacks? Just curious because your description sounds pretty weird
post #5321 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenski View Post

Slight correction - *three* choices.

1. Wired. Can be accomplished by direct cable run to the router, powerline, wireless bridge, etc.

2. OEM Panasonic wifi adapter

3. Netgear WNDA3100 v2 wifi adapter

I also use the WNDA3100v2 adapter and it works great with my Linksys Wireless N router. However, keep in mind that the Netgear WNDA3100 adapter MUST be VERSION 2! There are older versions of the WNDA3100 adapter floating around, so make sure you know what you're buying.

I bought a refurbished adapter off a reputable dealer on ebay and it cost me about $22. New adapters are upwards of $60 or $70. The Panasonic adapter is even more.

Viken K.
post #5322 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Your Powerline Adapter is not giving you 200mbps, lets get that out of the way. I doubt you could even stream a HD content from a in home media server to a box that is connected to it. Take a guess at how I would know this.

Just stick with wireless unless you have a long ass CAT5/6 cable that you'd be happy to run from the modem to the TV/BD player.

Of course we speak in theoretical speeds, I have too many networked devices to have everything near my router. Both work equally well. I get consistent HD streams with Netflix on my 360 and Media Center has no problems. I use the 5ghz N dongle for the G25 to have one less wire in the wall.
post #5323 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM

I have no motion blur at all playing Halo: Reach.
post #5324 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Liked: 13
After about a week with the 50G25, I am going to say that the buzzing is not acceptable to me. I had the volume off this morning and could hear a noticeable buzz (not high pitched) at 8 feet.

I have read this and other threads thoroughly, but am still not sure what my best remedy is. I am between having Amazon send a new set and having a Panny service person come out. Normally I would request a new set, since this seems to be out of spec (yes I know some buzzing is normal, but this is noticeable) and it is a brand new piece of equipment. However, am I going to go through another delivery, break-in, etc. just to wind up with a service visit anyway?
post #5325 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 AM

2 questions:

1) Asked this a few pages ago and got no responses. Are you folks using the "Blur Reduction" feature? I did do some searching and someone mentioned that this kicked on the 600hz that the G20 is capable of.

2)Am I missing something, or is there no cable management device in the back? Looking to just clean up some cables (just 2 HDMI, a cat5, and the AC cable is all I have plugged in).

Thanks. Great thread for a great TV!!!!
post #5326 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My G25 just arrived this morning. Unpacked it somewhat (still resting in the bottom of the crate) and plugged it in, got a nice hdmi picture from the tivo. Proceeded to run the burn in images from SD card. Didnt see any issues with the screen.

One question though, I thought the P54G25 was supposed to have a swivel base? Mine is a fixed/stationary base. I am going to need to swivel it (infrequently) and wonder what the best way to go about this will be. Its going to be either on a glass top or wood top furniture. Would several well placed felt pads on the bottom suffice? Or should I look at other options, and what would those be?
post #5327 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post

My G25 just arrived this morning. Unpacked it somewhat (still resting in the bottom of the crate) and plugged it in, got a nice hdmi picture from the tivo. Proceeded to run the burn in images from SD card. Didnt see any issues with the screen.

One question though, I thought the P54G25 was supposed to have a swivel base? Mine is a fixed/stationary base. I am going to need to swivel it (infrequently) and wonder what the best way to go about this will be. Its going to be either on a glass top or wood top furniture. Would several well placed felt pads on the bottom suffice? Or should I look at other options, and what would those be?

If you can move it onto a wall use an articulating mount. I have one from Cheetah that's nice. Comes out about 2' and can swivel left and right almost 45deg.
post #5328 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:

The 54" does not have a swivel base. The felt pads should work fine. I just covered the rubber pads with adhesive back green felt as I need to swivel mine occasionally to get to the side connections.
post #5329 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

2 questions:

1) Asked this a few pages ago and got no responses. Are you folks using the "Blur Reduction" feature? I did do some searching and someone mentioned that this kicked on the 600hz that the G20 is capable of.

2)Am I missing something, or is there no cable management device in the back? Looking to just clean up some cables (just 2 HDMI, a cat5, and the AC cable is all I have plugged in).

Thanks. Great thread for a great TV!!!!

The blur reduction doesn't "kick in" the 600Hz. Actually your tv doesn't even show anything at 600Hz, because it is just bollocks that Panasonic uses to advertise their tv. And this so called 600 Hz mode is on all the time regardless of if you use IFC or not.

If your tv gets for example 60 Hz in, then it divides every frame to 10 sub fields. These sub fields make that one frame. The sub fields flash the tv's pixels so that the single frame is made, but your tv doesn't really update your whole screen 600 times per second. Actually, with 60 Hz material, it does it 60 times per second and uses 10 sub fields to form a single frame
This is because of the way that plasmas work. Different colours and brightness levels are achieved by flashing the individual pixels on off, and one pixel can flash once per sub field.

It's totally your personal opinion if you like to use the IFC or not. Your tv has by default a great motion resolution and turning IFC off will not ruin it Usually if you see motion blur with some content, it is because of the source, and is not tvs fault.
post #5330 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM

I finally purchased a 50G20 this weekend. I'll post in more detail after I've had time to use it more. For now, I can say there is no buzz, I haven't noticed any 'floating blacks', I had a green line on cable, but changing to size 1 fixed it. I am coming from a Sony XBR9, which I thought was one of the best TVs I've ever seen. I can say early on that this set handles SD much better. More comparisons soon.
post #5331 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LED View Post

I finally purchased a 50G20 this weekend. I'll post in more detail after I've had time to use it more. For now, I can say there is no buzz, I haven't noticed any 'floating blacks', I had a green line on cable, but changing to size 1 fixed it. I am coming from a Sony XBR9, which I thought was one of the best TVs I've ever seen. I can say early on that this set handles SD much better. More comparisons soon.

My parents have a 52xbr6 which I thought was amazing.

Then I got my tv, went to their house and thought the xbr looked horrible. Actually now I think all lcd's look horrid.
post #5332 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Some ppl here have mentioned using an old wrt54g with alt fw as a repeater and I have one of these gathering dust somewhere but at G speeds I don't think that can match a powerline adapter. What do you think?

Either may be okay for Viera Cast but I think the 360 media center extender needs about 30Mbps which arguably can't be maintained by a G signal.
post #5333 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeipii View Post

The blur reduction doesn't "kick in" the 600Hz. Actually your tv doesn't even show anything at 600Hz, because it is just bollocks that Panasonic uses to advertise their tv. And this so called 600 Hz mode is on all the time regardless of if you use IFC or not.

Thanks for the very detailed response! So if the 600hz is just ad-fluff, what is the realrefresh rate of the TV then? Either way it's darn smooth and I like this much better than my Sony LCD (although it does some things outstanding). I think I am just more into the plasma look and feel now.
post #5334 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

For those of you who use the Viera cast for Netflix, Skype, and other apps, how has the performance been? I am sure it will vary from set to set based on the wifi adapter and network setup, but just wondering if it is worth it to get a network adapter. I already have a camera (it came with the TV).
post #5335 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsohng View Post

For those of you who use the Viera cast for Netflix, Skype, and other apps, how has the performance been? I am sure it will vary from set to set based on the wifi adapter and network setup, but just wondering if it is worth it to get a network adapter. I already have a camera (it came with the TV).

I have a cat 5 cable going to my G20. It plays Netflix fantastically. Unless Netflix is experiencing problem on their end, the stream and HD quality has been outstanding. I also have a 10mb connection, which helps, too.
post #5336 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A follow up on the Vieracast stuff... Is amazon VOD part of that, and if so, does it stream the 1080p/24 HD stuff like I get on my Tivo?
post #5337 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

A follow up on the Vieracast stuff... Is amazon VOD part of that, and if so, does it stream the 1080p/24 HD stuff like I get on my Tivo?

Yes, it's part of it for me in the US. It seems I have the option to get Robin Hood in HD from Amazon VOD. Not sure if that's 1080p or not.
post #5338 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 11:57 AM

The color banding on this TV (50G25) is absolutely horrible in my opinion in certain situations.

Is there any setting(s) that can be used to minimize this? I aimagine it's just one of those shortcomings the panel has and nothing will fix it. It does look pathetic at times and not something I would expect from a decent set in 2010.
post #5339 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeipii View Post

What do you mean by grids ? Line bleed or floating blacks? Just curious because your description sounds pretty weird

Like grids. I guess I should take a picture but I don't have a great digital cam ATM But yea grids is what I saw at the bottom right and left of the screen.

Quote:

Of course we speak in theoretical speeds, I have too many networked devices to have everything near my router. Both work equally well. I get consistent HD streams with Netflix on my 360 and Media Center has no problems. I use the 5ghz N dongle for the G25 to have one less wire in the wall.

Quote:

Some ppl here have mentioned using an old wrt54g with alt fw as a repeater and I have one of these gathering dust somewhere but at G speeds I don't think that can match a powerline adapter. What do you think?

Either may be okay for Viera Cast but I think the 360 media center extender needs about 30Mbps which arguably can't be maintained by a G signal.

in home I've found powerline AV to be fine when it comes to streaming a few contents but it does bog down compared to a good old Wifi G/N set up when trying to stream from the internet HD content. The wireless bridge idea IMO would be the best way to go unless you bought a compatible USB dongle.

I myself personally don't like wifi so its turned off in the house and everything that is important is hooked up straight to the router (PC, Xbox 360, PS3). The only thing that isn't is the outside HTPC that is on a Belkin Powerline AV that will be replaced by a Wireless N in a few months.
post #5340 of 8543 Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling the 85 lacked in ability a little. I hadn't fiddled with it much but I tried Amazon on the 85, wired through my 200mbps powerline adapter, and couldn't get HD speeds but could using the wireless adapter with the G25.

Good idea for Pandora too.

If you're interested, check out that link I posted. The problem with the BD85 is not so much that's its less capable, but that its got a bug in its LAN interface.

The BD85 has a 10/100 Ethernet port just like the G20/G25. But when the BD85 is manually set to 100 Mbps full-duplex (its "best" manual setting) it doesn't allow some users to receive Amazon VOD at the HD bitrate.

But when you change the setting to 100 Mbps half-duplex (even on a fully-switched LAN that can run at full duplex!) the BD85 will then allow HD content. It doesn't make sense but this behavior has been confirmed by multiple owners.

On the same fully switched/hardwired network, the G20/G25 doesn't have this problem.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page