The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemarr View Post

Well dag gone it. I got the green screen again on my G20. The only way to get it to go away is to turn off the Tv and turn it back on again. I changed out the cable box and HDMI cable and thought the problem was gone. It was fine for a few days and now it's back again. Any ideas? Looks like I might have to return this one since I am still in my 30 days.

Yeah either return it or photograph the effect & call Panny & get them to fix it. I'd return it if it was mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by new plasma guy View Post

im having trouble finding some one in my area to calibrate my g20 . so far i have found one guy . he is not isf certified . he says he will use a colorimeter , dvd, and laptop . to calibrate the grey scale , sharpness , contrast , red/blue/green ect . does this sound right ?? thanks

Did you look in the: ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here! thread? It's in the display calibration forum.
It helps to display your location in the user control panel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Liked: 10
My 50G25 comes in a week and I'm ecstatic to replace my 2000 model year 50" tosh rptv.

I'm also excited about the acquisition of a blu ray player to pair up with the 50G25. Any suggestions? Should I stick with a Panasonic for viera-link capability? Should I be worried about DVD upconversion? I figure I won't need Netflix, etc since this TV supports it. Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomite View Post

My 50G25 comes in a week and I'm ecstatic to replace my 2000 model year 50" tosh rptv.

I'm also excited about the acquisition of a blu ray player to pair up with the 50G25. Any suggestions? Should I stick with a Panasonic for viera-link capability? Should I be worried about DVD upconversion? I figure I won't need Netflix, etc since this TV supports it. Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

PS3. Best Blu-Ray player out there! Easy to use. Wireless. AMAZING
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman1666 View Post

ENGADGET HD/March 21, 2010

Yeah I know netflix plans on offering HD video streams i was more refering more to the audio formats like Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS HD audio which are not supported over toslink outputs. As long as its HD video streams with a regular dolby 5.1 audio format there should be no problems.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Hey guys, 50G25 just came in today really excited about it. Doing the break ins right now. I hear that youre not suppose to leave the tv on for long periods of a time? Can anyone confirm? I was planning on leaving it on until Saturday night but if I need to space it out maybe 10 hours a day.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryland View Post

Hey guys, 50G25 just came in today really excited about it. Doing the break ins right now. I hear that youre not suppose to leave the tv on for long periods of a time? Can anyone confirm? I was planning on leaving it on until Saturday night but if I need to space it out maybe 10 hours a day.

Hey Rotaryland, mine is coming in a couple days. I'm new to plasma. Are the break-in directions in the box or what are you following? Many thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermatt View Post

Hey Rotaryland, mine is coming in a couple days. I'm new to plasma. Are the break-in directions in the box or what are you following? Many thanks

http://

ww

w.avsforum

.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

Combine the above four lines & paste into your address bar. Sorry, I cannot post links right now, since I only registered today. I have been lurking for sometime. My 42g25 is at about 25 hrs of break-in time.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 PM

If a residual image still shows up under no input and a during a white screen 20-30 hours after it originally appeared is it still considered image retention or burn-in?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJmobileII View Post

http://

ww

w.avsforum

.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

Combine the above four lines & paste into your address bar. Sorry, I cannot post links right now, since I only registered today. I have been lurking for sometime. My 42g25 is at about 25 hrs of break-in time.

Thanks a lot.

So, in simple terms, do I just go into each mode and use those figures as my settings or is there something else to do?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:

You're probably confusing burn-in with break-in. You don't want to leave the tv on for long periods on a static solid image, esp first 100-200hours. While breaking in your TV with the slides method (link has been given right above my post) it's well... no burn in will happen (LONG as you make sure it runs smoothly...). It's to evenly age all pixels before changing settings. I wouldn't leave the TV on for a week without ever turning it off for a few hours or leave for more than a day not checking up on it. But it's safe to leave it on for 24 hours this way. I would stay with it however for at least the first few hours or day you run the slides make sure running smoothly and checking for defects. Run IR-Sweep before and even run a blu-ray if have one first; just to see if any obvious/big issues are with your set (ie: there's defect need to get a new one. And make sure not HDMI cable =). A quick Blu ray few minute looky lew is also just to revel at what you will get after 100 hours and know it'll look better once calibrated/adjusted settings (such as D-Nice's =)

Quote:

Thanks a lot.

So, in simple terms, do I just go into each mode and use those figures as my settings or is there something else to do?

Simple terms, yeah... I'd run the slides for optimal use of changing the settings. For the first 100h. Also, don't change ANY SETTINGS, esp the Service Menu without writing down what values you see because not every set has the same. I'd also make sure you understand what you're doing a little bit. AVS is the right place for that. I haven't met anyone not satisfied or thought they did not got a better picture with D-Nice's settings (but that's after doing about 100hours slide break-in). The person in this link gives a great easy to understand description of WHY (not how) ppl break-in first 100 or so hours via slides (link goes right to his post). This helped me a lot: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16016324
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM

I didnt do break in slides, i just watched regular TV making sure the screen was always full and nothing static on the TV for more than 5 min. Mine came out fine
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Red Window,

Thanks a lot. Mine is arriving in a couple days so I'm reading up and excited to get started
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerdog View Post

If a residual image still shows up under no input and a during a white screen 20-30 hours after it originally appeared is it still considered image retention or burn-in?

As far as I understand, residual image / IR is just a temporary effect while burn-in is a permanent one. IR is only temporary as it should disappear as you continue to use your TV in a non-abusive manner. If I remember correctly, you were saying about FF HUD IR.

Did you play regular full screen content on your TV after first seeing the IR (like, afterward or in between gaming sessions)?

Did you try the white bars (menu -> setup -> anti IR -> scrolling bars)?

Did you lower the contrast?

These new plasma panels are supposed to take quite a bit of abuse before permanently giving in and developing a burn-in.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Chad said: "The PK550 has much smoother pans; the G25’s 48Hz mode has too much flicker in my opinion, so I never use it. That gave the PK550 the advantage in handling 1080P/24 Blu Ray motion. The PK550 had bolder colors than the G25, and had a harder edged look with more pop. The G25 looked less contrasty and a bit on the washed out side of neutral in comparison."

The VT25 seems to be the one to get if you really want a Panasonic and like to watch Blu-ray.

unless you live in Europe.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Has anyone tried to connect their p50g20 to PSs's media server the one using java? If you haven't heard of it you should look it up. You can stream all kinds of files from your pc to your tv using the ps3 media server without having to actually have a ps3. I haven't tken the time to set it up yet but was wondering if anyone has done this yet or would be ibtreasted in setting it up and then showing the rest of us how to do it?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

Chad said: "The PK550 has much smoother pans; the G25’s 48Hz mode has too much flicker in my opinion, so I never use it. That gave the PK550 the advantage in handling 1080P/24 Blu Ray motion. The PK550 had bolder colors than the G25, and had a harder edged look with more pop. The G25 looked less contrasty and a bit on the washed out side of neutral in comparison."

The VT25 seems to be the one to get if you really want a Panasonic and like to watch Blu-ray.

unless you live in Europe.

I'd read the full review; https://clevelandplasma.com/store/20...ews/lg_xxpk550

that quote alone is a tad misleading as it makes the G25 sound like it's much worse by comparison and not the case (I hope not at least =D Although definitely raises LG's stakes and I admit to not considering them given last years models... Reminds me sort of like Samsung 650/860 vs G10/V10s in terms of colors. Plus only review I've seen about the LG. But I still think it all depends on you I doubt Chad means to sound like the G25 is way less superior or a dud =D
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

PS3. Best Blu-Ray player out there! Easy to use. Wireless. AMAZING

but hard to find.. not sure why inventory is 0 and they are marked up $50-$100 over retail.. wondering what other options are worth looking at.

must have:

good dvd up-conversion (should i worry about this and let 50G25 up-convert?)
good blu ray performance
decent startup/boot time
bd live 2.0

maybe:
panasonic brand for viera link connection to G25. not sure if this provides much value?

not a must have:
netlix/pandora (since the tv has this).
Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The only audio output on the Panasonics is digital optical. Up till a few years ago all of their models had analog audio out, but no more. Panasonics haven't had a headphone jack since 2004, and that's the last year they had Variable Audio Output too.

The only way an external speaker system or sound bar will work with the TV is if it (A.) has a digital optical input, and (B.) it has it's own volume control.

I have a Yamaha HTR 5250 A/V Reciever and currently working on doing this. It has a Digital Optical input but I think it's on the video side. I'm hopeing it will work with the Audio output from this Plasma. This is so I can have good sound while watching Netflix or Amazon streaming.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The G20/25 black filter reminds me of a matte LCD screen.

But I guess if you don't have a light contolled room and you don't watch a lot of Blu-rays... then the G25 would be a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow View Post

I'd read the full review; https://clevelandplasma.com/store/20...ews/lg_xxpk550

that quote alone is a tad misleading as it makes the G25 sound like it's much worse by comparison and not the case (I hope not at least =D Although definitely raises LG's stakes and I admit to not considering them given last years models... Reminds me sort of like Samsung 650/860 vs G10/V10s in terms of colors. Plus only review I've seen about the LG. But I still think it all depends on you I doubt Chad means to sound like the G25 is way less superior or a dud =D

Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibejaminben View Post

Has anyone tried to connect their p50g20 to PSs's media server the one using java? If you haven't heard of it you should look it up. You can stream all kinds of files from your pc to your tv using the ps3 media server without having to actually have a ps3. I haven't tken the time to set it up yet but was wondering if anyone has done this yet or would be ibtreasted in setting it up and then showing the rest of us how to do it?

I use that software and it works really good, and have been using it for about a year now. My understanding is that the US version G20 doesn't have DNLA capabilities, but I could be wrong. I use my PS3 for streaming locally. Installing PS3 media server is up is a breeze, just install, choose the folders you want to share, and poof it works !
Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomite View Post

but hard to find.. not sure why inventory is 0 and they are marked up $50-$100 over retail.. wondering what other options are worth looking at.

Almost every Gamestop I have been in always has PS3s in stock.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorvick View Post

I use that software and it works really good, and have been using it for about a year now. My understanding is that the US version G20 doesn't have DNLA capabilities, but I could be wrong. I use my PS3 for streaming locally. Installing PS3 media server is up is a breeze, just install, choose the folders you want to share, and poof it works !

Astorvick are you using a ps3 or are you streaming directly to your tv? I had a ps3 and used the ps3 media server when it first came out but i don't have aps3 anymore. If you are streaming directly to you tv what is the setup process could you write a little tutorial for me please.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibejaminben View Post

Astorvick are you using a ps3 or are you streaming directly to your tv? I had a ps3 and used the ps3 media server when it first came out but i don't have aps3 anymore. If you are streaming directly to you tv what is the setup process could you write a little tutorial for me please.

I'm not streaming to my display only to the PS3 . I don't think the US version of the G20 has DNLA capabilites.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I ran the slides from a USB flash drive 24 hours a day for five days. I would just peek in on it occasionally to make sure it was changing slides. Now it is callibrated per D-Nice's instructions and it looks amazing.

Thanks D-Nice!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Well I've been talking a lot in anticipation now my G25 is here! Running slides now.

I have a question, it says Cinema in mode where shouldn't it be labled THX? I assume this is just a label issue.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow View Post

Well I've been talking a lot in anticipation now my G25 is here! Running slides now.

I have a question, it says Cinema in mode where shouldn't it be labled THX? I assume this is just a label issue.

My G25 has THX in the video settings but in the service menu it is Cinema. They are the same.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemarr View Post

Well dag gone it. I got the green screen again on my G20. The only way to get it to go away is to turn off the Tv and turn it back on again. I changed out the cable box and HDMI cable and thought the problem was gone. It was fine for a few days and now it's back again. Any ideas? Looks like I might have to return this one since I am still in my 30 days.

It is very unlikely that a replacement G20 will act any differently. The "green screen" is a HDMI hand-shaking issue that several owners have reported with cable STB. It is more likely that a firmware update for the G20 or for your STB will correct the problem. Here's a couple things to try:
  • Use component cables for your STB instead of HDMI. The PQ is, for most, the same and there are no hand-shaking issues.
  • Does your cable company offer a newer or older generation STB than the one you exchanged? If so, try the different model.
  • What resolution is your cable box set to? I had the green screen with a Moto DCX box set to "Native" and hooked directly to the G25. When I set it to 1080i, I no longer had the green screen issue. (I now have it set back to "Native" but hooked up through the AV Receiver via HDMI.)
  • Wait for the firmware update.
Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Hi,

Getting ready to order a 50G25, was wondering HOW beneficial spending the $350.00 for calibration is?? that will affect where I purchase from. just want it to look as good as possible, without wasting my kids inheritance.
thanks,
Bob