The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm babying it, but not doing a full bore break-in. I will avoid keeping it on channels with bright logos for awhile, and will watch dvds zoomed till I get a hundred hours on it or so. After that, I probably won't worry about it anymore.

Mostly Harmless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Typically, Panasonic designs the Power key on their remotes so they're somewhat flush, while all the other keys are raised so as to not accidentally turn the TV off. I presume the 13G remotes will follow the same path.

That doesn't mean it's not bad placement. It should be in the upper right hand corner so it's easy to find in the dark, and minimizes accidental button presses.
post #63 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticpuma View Post

That doesn't mean it's not bad placement. It should be in the upper right hand corner so it's easy to find in the dark, and minimizes accidental button presses.

I agree, although I must say the way it's set up, I know that I won't have any accidental turn offs, it's really a nice design on how it is set up, but it would have been nice to have it all the way on the right, or the ability to have it on and it automatically lights up the second a button is hit... but really it's not as bad as you would think.
post #64 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Had similar questions about wireless adapters, and asked Panasonic. Here's their reply but haven't tried any out yet on my tcp50g25:

"Thank you for your interest in our products. This letter will serve to
acknowledge and respond to your request. After reviewing your inquiry
regarding a list of compatible USB WIFI adaptors or cameras to be used
with the model, you can actually any USB wireless network dongle for that
purpose."
post #65 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM

Can't believe this hasnt been posted yet...first review of the G20/25 I have been able to find, but it is of a European device:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/p...-still-got-it/
post #66 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been posted many times in the other 2010 models thread.
post #67 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Having a problem getting my G20 to pull in the clearQAM HD channels coming over my cable. This isn't a big deal to me, but I imagine it will be for some people. When autoscanning for cable channels, it locks up halfway through the digital channel scan, and won't progress. I tried it twice, and let it sit 5 minutes. It might eventually get going again, but I don't want to leave the info screen stationary on my new tv that long.

My wife's Sanyo and my win7 media center found the clearQam channels no problem, so I know it isn't the signal.

Mostly Harmless.
post #68 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelcheker View Post

Having a problem getting my G20 to pull in the clearQAM HD channels coming over my cable. This isn't a big deal to me, but I imagine it will be for some people. When autoscanning for cable channels, it locks up halfway through the digital channel scan, and won't progress. I tried it twice, and let it sit 5 minutes. It might eventually get going again, but I don't want to leave the info screen stationary on my new tv that long.

I don't think you're giving the TV enough time to load the channels. It has taken my G10 and my PZ700U upwards of 15+ minutes to completely populate the channel list with all the cable channels, which includes hundreds of blank unused QAM channels that are empty, but still show up in the list. Even if it looks like it's stuck, let it go for up to a half hour if you have to. If you're scared that the menu is going to cause IR or burn-in, then temporarily set up say Standard mode with the Contrast and Brightness set way way low so the screen is very dark and use that for scanning the channels.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #69 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't think you're giving the TV enough time to load the channels. It has taken my G10 and my PZ700U upwards of 15+ minutes to completely populate the channel list with all the cable channels, which includes hundreds of blank unused QAM channels that are empty, but still show up in the list. Even if it looks like it's stuck, let it go for up to a half hour if you have to. If you're scared that the menu is going to cause IR or burn-in, then temporarily set up say Standard mode with the Contrast and Brightness set way way low so the screen is very dark and use that for scanning the channels.

Great idea. Will do.

Mostly Harmless.
post #70 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM

For those wondering about the bezel color of the G20/G25, I can only speak for the G25 ad mine arrived on Tuesday. I thought from the web photos that the bezel was going to be black and that the bottom where the Panasonic logo is was three dimensional and Sweeps out away from the screen in a curve. When I received the set, I was surprised (pleasantly) that the bezel color is not black, but a very deep blue. In low light it still looks black, but in brighter light it is distinctly dark blue. My girlfriend and I both really like this color because it is like her Toshiba laptop. The part on the bottom that I thought was a curved surface in the pictures is in fact perfectly flat like the rest of the bezel. The highlight that goes through the Panasonic logo is actually a lighter colored (silvery) stripe that is in the color of the frame. It is feathered like a nice airbrush job and looks quit classy. I am extremely pleased with the look of the set and also really happy that the back of the set is metal rather than the usual cheap plastic. I think people will be pleased when they see it for themselves.
post #71 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftin4Luv View Post

For those wondering about the bezel color of the G20/G25, I can only speak for the G25 ad mine arrived on Tuesday. I thought from the web photos that the bezel was going to be black and that the bottom where the Panasonic logo is was three dimensional and Sweeps out away from the screen in a curve. When I received the set, I was surprised (pleasantly) that the bezel color is not black, but a very deep blue.

You gotta be kidding me. What is Panasonic thinking making a blue TV? Are you sure it's just not the light making the black look dark blue?

Quote:

also really happy that the back of the set is metal rather than the usual cheap plastic.

What brands have a plastic back? All the Panasonic plasmas have metal rear covers. I couldn't imagine anyone making a 42+ or larger TV with a plastic rear cover (although it's common on small LCD TVs).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #72 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM

yeah I would def say mine is black, and not a dark blue.... I will pull out a magnifying glass when I get home to confirm.
post #73 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I just got tired of messing with unrecognized usb wireless adapters and ran a cable across the house on the floor just to test Viera Cast. There is no sign of Netflix.

Pandora, weather, fox sports (coming soon), youtube, picasa, amazon vod, twitter (coming soon), Bloomberg financial, and 2 german apps.

That's it.

I guess I can just wait till more info is available before worrying about getting the TV on the internet, because Netflix streaming was the only feature I was really interested in. Maybe by the time they get it running they'll have the wireless adapter list out.

Mostly Harmless.
post #74 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin.cue View Post

Can you give an estimate in degrees (or inches) how far the set swivels on the new stand? Also, does the set seem pretty secure with this new swiveling feature?

Sorry, I didn't install the stand. It does seem quite heavy and sturdy though.

I can't give you an angle it turns as it's now in the box up in my attic.

Mostly Harmless.
post #75 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

My TC-P50G25 bezel looks decidedly black/very dark gray under ambient light and flashlight.....
post #76 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

So, I bought an LG 47LH90 LED a week ago because the 20/25s weren't out yet. Its *nice* but I just don't like it that much. The Panny ads mention a new anti glare filter this year - how does it compare to the G/S series from 2009 or the glossy LCDs that everyone seems to be making? I'd really like to go with the 20/25 but I can't have a really reflective screen in the room it will go in. I'd judge for myself but no one has them in stock and my return window is closing. Thx....
post #77 of 8543 Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 PM

an lh90 was my initial choice till i found out panasonic was releasing their '10 models. my g25 hasnt arrived yet though
post #78 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelcheker View Post

I fear people won't shutup about it. There's 200 pages of that crap you can read in it's own thread. Please don't bring it here.

A somewhat rude response but, being a moderator on a few other sites I've come to realize rude people are out there.
Wanting to know about the potential black level problems in the 2010 models...I felt my question was a valid one and why I posted it here.
post #79 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

A somewhat rude response but, being a moderator on a few other sites I've come to realize rude people are out there.
Wanting to know about the potential black level problems in the 2010 models...I felt my question was a valid one and why I posted it here.

I'm not normally rude. I over-reacted plus didn't mean it to sound that harsh. I apologize.

Mostly Harmless.
post #80 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Some images of menus as requested.

Mostly Harmless.
post #81 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Panasonic is replacing my 50 TH-PE700UA with a G25 next week. My previous set is the costco equivalent of a PZ700U. What kind of improvement can I expect?
post #82 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM

What happened to your 700ua?
post #83 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog View Post

What happened to your 700ua?

QAM tuner stopped working and picture was getting weird. They tried to fix it and didn't have the right parts. Under Costco warranty they only get one shot to fix it. Then they have to replace it. Can't wait to get it.

My service rep at Panasonic was amazing as was everybody I have worked with there.
post #84 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

QAM tuner stopped working and picture was getting weird. They tried to fix it and didn't have the right parts. Under Costco warranty they only get one shot to fix it. Then they have to replace it. Can't wait to get it.

My service rep at Panasonic was amazing as was everybody I have worked with there.

Yeah that's another factor keeping me from going to my second choice (Samsung).

I've heard nothing but good things about Panasonic's service (their black level debacle aside), and nothing but BAD things about Samsung.
post #85 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

i think it has been stated in some other review on the web that the bezel has a slight blue tint to it. dont remember where i saw it.

RANDY: on another note, i see that you also have a G10 to go along with your older px50u. I have a 42" px50U and i plan on getting the 46" G25. i am trying not to listen to all the black level bickering because firstly, a Kuro isnt in my price range so why would i ever compare it to a tv in my range. secondly, when people say that the black level is now grey, i get a little confused. i know it is all relative to conditions but isnt that kinda of overstating it a little? i mean come on, my 5 year old panny still doesnt show black bars as grey. and i even recalibrated it recently and had to push up the brightness from 0 to +8. they still arent "grey". all i need you to say is that the g10 you have is considerably better than the px50u.
post #86 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

sweet good to know you had a good experience with panasonic customer service.
how old was the set?
post #87 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Hi everyone. I have not been able to find any store that has the G20/G25. Where did you buy it? Best Buy won't have it until 3/14. Thanks!
post #88 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post

Hi everyone. I have not been able to find any store that has the G20/G25. Where did you buy it? Best Buy won't have it until 3/14. Thanks!

the Best buys around me weren't caring it, so they had to order it and have it shipped. I think a lot of people got theirs delivered threw the net though.
post #89 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Word of advice.... I just called my local Best Buy store. They said they would arrive on 3/14. The best part???? This TV will NOT be part of the Magnolia Theatre part of the store and since the regular price is $1499.99, any 10% coupons out there WILL apply. I just bought one on eBay for a buck.
post #90 of 8543 Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Starting to break in the TC-P50G25

LL
LL

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page