The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post

Hi Randy... I hope it's not too noisy as I am planning on purchasing the 50" G20 for the living room, and moving the 42" G10 upstairs to the bedroom. So far the blacks don't appear to be worsening too bad on the G10, but I have both ageing eyes and newbie status with flat panels, lol. In reality though it's probably getting lighter in blacks but perhaps I am not noticeing it !!

I have had the G20 for a couple weeks now. I mostly watch movies and some content I stream from Netlfix (through ps3) and I have not heard a single buzz yet. The PS3, my computer, and ambient noise from my neighborhood (nyc) are all I can hear. I've put my head up at the screen for minutes at a time and can't hear a thing, and I'm especially sensitive to buzzing because I have had some minor ground loop issues with audio equipment in the past. Maybe if I put up a really white screen I would hear something.

I don't know how susceptible panels are to ground loops, but i wonder if that is responsible for a small percentage of the buzzing people hear on various panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well kinda, like the Samsungs the new Panasonic G (and V) model no longer has that outer layer of insulating glass like all the 2001-2009 models did so you're now more likely to hear the panel buzzing at greater distances than you did with the 2009 and older models. Hopefully the issue won't be as extreme as it is with the Samsungs and Pioneers (which also don't have an outer glass). Regardless, if you can hear the buzzing from your normal viewing position enough to bother you than the TV is defective, regardless of brand.

There's a more noticeable buzz for this reason. But that = quality due to the glass panel. I've heard Pioneers and Samsung; Samsung is far worse than g25s. And Pioneers buzz the similar imo no one complains =) I only notice on white/bright images. And when volume is low.

Definitely not a reason to not consider these heh. I've had a CRT a while and there's that hum frequency always know when the TV is on, not audible like a buzz. But I'd rather have a buzz than that.
post #903 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post

I have had the G20 for a couple weeks now. I mostly watch movies and some content I stream from Netlfix (through ps3) and I have not heard a single buzz yet. The PS3, my computer, and ambient noise from my neighborhood (nyc) are all I can hear. I've put my head up at the screen for minutes at a time and can't hear a thing, and I'm especially sensitive to buzzing because I have had some minor ground loop issues with audio equipment in the past. Maybe if I put up a really white screen I would hear something.

I don't know how susceptible panels are to ground loops, but i wonder if that is responsible for a small percentage of the buzzing people hear on various panels.

Agreed. I don't know if there is a huge disparity to these panels but I have heard no buzzing and seen no floating blacks or anything else.

All I keep hearing is my wife telling me how insanely good the PQ is on this set.

(She was not thrilled when we bought a blu ray player the other day but after we watched Iron Man BR last night, she is a believer)
post #904 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morehifi View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neurox/...7623541989824/

what do u think bout that

Does the vertical bar show up with different video sources? If its a defect, you should be covered under warranty.

I'm curious what the date & place of manufacture for your unit is? Should be a sticker on the back.
post #905 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM

guys...my best friend is asking me to advice him to purchase a new TV and I was thinking about the 42" G25 but all this black level issue made a tremble in my mind...I know he won't except my Kuro black levels but really want him to make a good purchase...

those who had these sets...so far so good? how many hours on it? how about image retention?

I'd really love to hear what is your experience with these 2010 sets

thanks
post #906 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 04:11 PM

okay im running the break in for the g20 i check the time but not shure how many hours this means 5376:25
post #907 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

okay im running the break in for the g20 i check the time but not shure how many hours this means 5376:25

Divide 5376 by 256 which equals 21 hours.
post #908 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

Maybe that minutes, that would make sence.
post #909 of 8543 Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow View Post

There's a more noticeable buzz for this reason. But that = quality due to the glass panel. I've heard Pioneers and Samsung; Samsung is far worse than g25s. And Pioneers buzz the similar imo no one complains =) I only notice on white/bright images. And when volume is low.

Definitely not a reason to not consider these heh. I've had a CRT a while and there's that hum frequency always know when the TV is on, not audible like a buzz. But I'd rather have a buzz than that.

i think the buzzing is more of a tv to tv thing. a lot of people talked about last years samungs 650 buzzing like crazy, but my brother has a 50" and you can only hear a slight buzz if you put your head right behind the tv. there is no way you could hear it in a normal seating postion. now maybe he just got lucky, but i have read most of that samsung thread and a ton of other people don't have the buzz problem on their sets either.
post #910 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 AM

Guys, I need some honest info. My 3rd sammy PN50B860 is going back and I need to pick up a panny quickly before the family lynches my a$$.

I've followed the threads and it seems the floating blacks on the 2010 panny models are better than what has been measured on the 2009 sammy 860. I was quite happy with the PQ on the sammy but the buzz killed it. So, since the black levels will not be a problem, how does the overall PQ compare between the sammy 860 and panny G20/25?

Also, will the 24p 48/96hz thing be a deal breaker. I'm not sure how the sammy 860 compares in this respect and have to admit I don't fully understand it, but, I want to make sure I don't screw myself later when things start making sense.

Finally, would I be better off getting the VT20? I'm a long term buyer so I plan to keep the set 7+ years.
post #911 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone comment on how this year models compare to last year when it comes to image noise?

I was very impressed with g15 and how clean it looked, however i noticed chad b review he mentioned graininess in the picture, can anyone comment if it looks as clean as last years version? Did they change the processing or anything?
post #912 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 AM

Well, with the risk of announcing the discovery of hot water, I can confirm that Viera Link works nicely with the PS3 (slim model). You can browse through the menus and control the DVD/BR playback (including Netflix streaming) with the Panasonic remote. Didn't see many posts on this subject, but it's a nice feature to have and it works out of the box (well, almost, needs to be enabled). In fact, I think if you have any HDMI-CEC compliant device, you may be able to control it over HDMI and Viera Link.
post #913 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricevics View Post

Well, with the risk of announcing the discovery of hot water, I can confirm that Viera Link works nicely with the PS3 (slim model). You can browse through the menus and control the DVD/BR playback (including Netflix streaming) with the Panasonic remote. Didn't see many posts on this subject, but it's a nice feature to have and it works out of the box (well, almost, needs to be enabled). In fact, I think if you have any HDMI-CEC compliant device, you may be able to control it over HDMI and Viera Link.

Hey that's neat! I wonder if its only on the slim model? I've got a fat 60GB.
post #914 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

ive been enjoying this feature since i accidentally used it.
post #915 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog View Post

ive been enjoying this feature since i accidentally used it.

Yours a Slim?
post #916 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

Hey that's neat! I wonder if its only on the slim model? I've got a fat 60GB.

According to this site, only slim model is compliant (scroll down to "PS3 HDMI chip" section):

Quote:

The Slim PS3 has an upgraded HDMI 1.3c protocol chip (Panasonic MN8647091), and this time bitstream of Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA is finally implemented, so you can use your Audio Video Receiver to decode the audio signal. In addition, HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync) is now fully supported.

Note that although HDMI CEC wiring is mandatory via HDMI 1.0 (a pin on the port is dedicated to CEC), actual implementation support for the CEC specification protocol (introduced in HDMI 1.2a) is optional. That is why the PS3 Fat did not have a CEC Controller chip attached to that pin, so all HDMI-CEC commands are ignored. The PS3 Slim does have a CEC Controller implemented inside the Panasonic HDMI chip, so it does support HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync).

Bravia Sync = Viera Link = HDMI-CEC

I was actually more surprised that it worked between devices made by different manufacturers. It's nice to see that both Sony and Panasonic followed standards.
post #917 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a quick question regarding the G20/G25.

Basically, I'm down to two TV's this plasma and a LCD. Does anyone know how durable the anti-reflection coating is on the TV?

My concern is a 2 year old that likes to touch the TV and leave finger prints on the screen. It wasn't a problem on my old Panasonic Tau CRT, just Windex the glass.

But I'm assuming, it's harder to clean a plasma with a AR coating and I certainly wouldn't want it damaged by frequent touching.
post #918 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

Yours a Slim?

yes mine is a slim
post #919 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to this site, only slim model is compliant (scroll down to "PS3 HDMI chip" section):

Bravia Sync = Viera Link = HDMI-CEC

I was actually more surprised that it worked between devices made by different manufacturers. It's nice to see that both Sony and Panasonic followed standards.

Yeah after a quick search, found out too. Damn, ah well.
post #920 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg4878 View Post

But I'm assuming, it's harder to clean a plasma with a AR coating and I certainly wouldn't want it damaged by frequent touching.

Plasmas are not hard to clean, maybe a little hard to get streak free. Don't use windex, us a plasma cleaning kit. Is hanging the TV an option, then it can be hung out of harms way.
post #921 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Plasmas are not hard to clean, maybe a little hard to get streak free. Don't use windex, us a plasma cleaning kit. Is hanging the TV an option, then it can be hung out of harms way.

Unfortunately, hanging the TV is not an option. Our living room is oddly shaped and the TV is actually in the corner.

I've seen pictures where people mounted them in the corner, but the wife won't go for that.
post #922 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Why do the colors change in 48 hz
post #923 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM

They TV repair guy came to drop off my LCD that **** the bed. Its fixed now but still discoloration on the right and left side. I told him about my floating blacks and he goes yeah that feature sucks, 90% of the people hate it. I got a laugh out of it
post #924 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM

have you called panasonic about it g20fan?

i gave them a call again after i finally noticed the floating blacks when watching cable. They told me the issue had been escalated to engineering and they would give me a call back in a few days.
post #925 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have a 50g20 being delivered to me this Saturday to replace my 50g10 under warranty. I saw it set up in the store the other day & it looked good. I didn't see floating blacks but it was daylight & the set was running full screen too. It was beside a S2 & looked more or less the same in image quality. I'm hoping I like this set as much as my G10 overall despite the issues I've had with it.
post #926 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post

I have a 50g20 being delivered to me this Saturday to replace my 50g10 under warranty. I saw it set up in the store the other day & it looked good. I didn't see floating blacks but it was daylight & the set was running full screen too. It was beside a S2 & looked more or less the same in image quality. I'm hoping I like this set as much as my G10 overall despite the issues I've had with it.

it's not easy to see the floating blacks during the day.

it's easy to spot at the end of colbert report, though, when the "busboy" logo shoots across the screen.
post #927 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Quaildog,

It was I who got this issue escalated to engineering. I am the original 2010 floating blacks bitcher. I'm really glad you called and complained about it as well. Now we are two.

They escalated this to engineering (supposedly) over a week ago. I have still heard nothing back.

I was reading some threads about how all this works, and it doesn't sound promising. It sound like an energy star issue. Something about cutting initialization cycles from 2 to 1 below certain levels. Evidently that cuts total power output and makes them have that pretty energy star rating, but then causes an adjustment lag time. I have no clue, I'm paraphrasing (poorly) what I read some tech type guys writing in the floating blacks thread. My fear is this is not going to be fixed by firmware, which really pisses me off. If I return my G20 to Best Buy this week, I will go home without a replacement, because as I understand it Panasonic's entire 2010 plasma line has this issue. I've been reading up on this in older Panasonic threads. In the past people have made a huge stink over it and customer service came out and replaced panels and power supplies, etc, etc. This is not a new issue. It's frustrating Panasonic is playing dumb. They know exactly what their set is doing and why, and they aren't going to give us a damn thing until after their 3D line is sold out. When they do, it will be "The set is doing what it is intended to do under normal use. This is not a warranty issue."

Samsung, here I come. Hang in there till May, boys.
post #928 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM

i guess i'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #929 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM

just bought the g20 am in the process of breaking it while watching the colors I see in some colors I see a vertical bar of an inch bleed I have to be very closely to see the bar, you think I should return the TV as faulty .
post #930 of 8543 Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I can confirm that Viera Link works nicely with the PS3 (slim model). You can browse through the menus and control the DVD/BR playback (including Netflix streaming) with the Panasonic remote. Didn't see many posts on this subject, but it's a nice feature to have and it works out of the box (well, almost, needs to be enabled).

I was JUST reading about HDMI-CEC the other day, but I couldn't find out if it actually worked with Panasonic TVs or not. I've already bought the PS3 adapter for my Harmony One anyway, oh well. P33 Slim arrives in a few days.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page