AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk]

1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  deathfalls 
#1 ·
Since I was asked to start this thread over in the 2010 Panny thread, here it is.

Ordered my 50G20 last Friday at the local BB, they said it was in stock at the warehouse and would be here Wednesday. It actually showed up Tuesday, and I spent last evening getting it mounted on my Unibrak articulating mount. (check into these if you're looking for a mount, great value)

First thing I watched was Lost, and was of course, blown away. After 7 years of my 47" Panny crt rear-projection set I wasn't sure how it would compare. I always liked the old set's film-like quality and fast blur-free picture, but I was worried about nothing. The new set has far better PQ than the old. The blacks are amazing, and even the fastest camera pans during action scenes look flawless.

I don't have any measuring equipment and I don't have any prior plasma experience to tell you any differences, but if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Here are some pics. I'll put up more after I get the install cleaned up.

The old girl getting put out to pasture.

Box dimensions are 34.4" x 53.0" x 11.2"

See less See more
#877 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJimBob /forum/post/18398307

Like I said above the BB consultation guy came out with a trainee and looked at my setup for suggestions on proper cables install and while watching the g20 he adjusted it. The consultation trainee adjusted it.

Well there's no secret "turn floating blacks off" setting. Do you know if he was in the service menu? What are your picture mode settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog /forum/post/18398376

where is the gray bars in 4:3 adjustment

Under Aspect adjustments > Screen format, change it to 4:3.

#878 ·
I just got my G20 yesterday, and I absolutely love it.

It's gorgeous; the BB store did NOT do it ANY justice.

I popped in 2 Blue Rays, Harry Potter Half Blood Prince, Pirates of the Caribbean, and I also popped in my DVD of LOTR Two Towers and my Oppo Up-converted it beautifully.

- Is calibration necessary? In terms optimum performance?

I know DNICE has settings, but if it looks good from my tweaking the picture controls, do I need to do anything else?

- Also, this is more of a logistics question. I need my G20 to sit 3 to 3.5 inches higher so that my center speaker can sit in front of it without blocking the screen.

Anyone, in a similar situation? I don't think I can put the speaker over the entertainment center because it'll be too high and there just isn't any space underneath it. - Can the the speaker go behind the TV, or will that just block all the sound?

Thanks again, all the advice I've received thus far has been so helpful!

#879 ·
I'm in the same boat in that my Definitive Tech C-1 is 8" high. Finally decided to just replace the center channel speaker with a DF Mythos 7 which is only 4" high. Perhaps you can find a center channel made by the same manufacturer as your others that is not so high.

#880 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug /forum/post/18403168

I'm in the same boat in that my Definitive Tech C-1 is 8" high. Finally decided to just replace the center channel speaker with a DF Mythos 7 which is only 4" high. Perhaps you can find a center channel made by the same manufacturer as your others that is not so high.

I'd rather not, this Aperion set of speakers is supposed to be blended so nicely together...It's their 4T series, so I believe it's their smallest model anyway.

Would it be wierd or spoil the sound to put it high and try to angle it downwards? Or would I better off putting the speaker behind the TV?

Best would be to put something underneath the TV to give it a prop up.

#881 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikslal /forum/post/18403201

I'd rather not, this Aperion set of speakers is supposed to be blended so nicely together...It's their 4T series, so I believe it's their smallest model anyway.

Would it be wierd or spoil the sound to put it high and try to angle it downwards? Or would I better off putting the speaker behind the TV?

Best would be to put something underneath the TV to give it a prop up.

That was my problem too. I replaced the console so I couldt fit the center speaker on the top shelf and the rest of the equipment on the bottom shelf. It was a Bello brand all black with open black glass shelves. Looks killer but really shows the dust.

#882 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre /forum/post/18403449

That was my problem too. I replaced the console so I couldt fit the center speaker on the top shelf and the rest of the equipment on the bottom shelf. It was a Bello brand all black with open black glass shelves. Looks killer but really shows the dust.

Bummer, I wish I had that option, unfortunately, it's a very large furniture type of entertainment center. I want the speaker to be dead center and it's far to big to fit in any component shelf.

#883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikslal /forum/post/18403032

I need my G20 to sit 3 to 3.5 inches higher so that my center speaker can sit in front of it without blocking the screen.

I have a similar situation although I want to raise the panel for other reasons as well. I haven't found anything pre-made for this situation yet. I may consider fabricating a rectangular platform to go under the stand, perhaps from MDF and wood (haven't looked at strength properties of MDF). If I can find black laminating material, there are some websites that show how to apply it.

#884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin /forum/post/18404808

I have a similar situation although I want to raise the panel for other reasons as well. I haven't found anything pre-made for this situation yet. I may consider fabricating a rectangular platform to go under the stand, perhaps from MDF and wood (haven't looked at strength properties of MDF). If I can find black laminating material, there are some websites that show how to apply it.

Guess since the big ass speaker will be in the way it won't really matter if the color of the platform is really a close match!
lol

#885 ·
So true. I'm thinking a black laminate material would blend in and be easy to dust

#886 ·
I think placing the speaker behind the TV will interfere with the sound. I was thinking of building a platform (as others have mentioned) using 1 by's for the sides and 1/8" steel for the top, then it occured to me that the speaker would have to be infront of the platform and I only have 3" available in front of the actual TV stand.

I have seen center channel speakers above the TV on a bracket aimed down at the listening area. You could give it a try to see how it sounds before permanently mounting it.

#887 ·
Thanks for the info although I am aware of the optimum viewing distances. The main viewing area is 7-8' from the screen where my wife an I will sit most of the time, but there are some seating areas as far as 12' from the screen. My attitude has always been get the largest set I can afford dollar and space wide, but was just curios as to what people thought of a 54" vs 50" since there is not much difference is actual screen size.

#889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug /forum/post/18406824

Thanks for the info although I am aware of the optimum viewing distances. The main viewing area is 7-8' from the screen where my wife an I will sit most of the time, but there are some seating areas as far as 12' from the screen. My attitude has always been get the largest set I can afford dollar and space wide, but was just curios as to what people thought of a 54" vs 50" since there is not much difference is actual screen size.

I'll let others comment on the preferred size for that viewing setup but do keep in mind that with even just a 4 inch increase in diagonal screen size your overall viewable real estate (for full screen content) is increasing by about 16 - 17%. Decent size jump.

#891 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18396793

You don't need more than two people. Once you assemble the upright posts to the stand's base, you and a helper simply lift the TV and carefully lower it down onto the stand.

The TV is physically too large to grapple by yourself without risking damaging it or scratching the delicate screen even though it's light enough to lift alone.

Thanks for the practical tip. I read that thread about the psycho cat scratching the AR coat. Good thing I don't own a cat, crazy or otherwise

#897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO /forum/post/18409388

Maybe Panasonic used some Samsung buzzbox technology, lol ???

Well kinda, like the Samsungs the new Panasonic G (and V) model no longer has that outer layer of insulating glass like all the 2001-2009 models did so you're now more likely to hear the panel buzzing at greater distances than you did with the 2009 and older models. Hopefully the issue won't be as extreme as it is with the Samsungs and Pioneers (which also don't have an outer glass). Regardless, if you can hear the buzzing from your normal viewing position enough to bother you than the TV is defective, regardless of brand.

#898 ·
Hi Randy... I hope it's not too noisy as I am planning on purchasing the 50" G20 for the living room, and moving the 42" G10 upstairs to the bedroom. So far the blacks don't appear to be worsening too bad on the G10, but I have both ageing eyes and newbie status with flat panels, lol. In reality though it's probably getting lighter in blacks but perhaps I am not noticeing it !!

#901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO /forum/post/18409896

Hi Randy... I hope it's not too noisy as I am planning on purchasing the 50" G20 for the living room, and moving the 42" G10 upstairs to the bedroom. So far the blacks don't appear to be worsening too bad on the G10, but I have both ageing eyes and newbie status with flat panels, lol. In reality though it's probably getting lighter in blacks but perhaps I am not noticeing it !!

I have had the G20 for a couple weeks now. I mostly watch movies and some content I stream from Netlfix (through ps3) and I have not heard a single buzz yet. The PS3, my computer, and ambient noise from my neighborhood (nyc) are all I can hear. I've put my head up at the screen for minutes at a time and can't hear a thing, and I'm especially sensitive to buzzing because I have had some minor ground loop issues with audio equipment in the past. Maybe if I put up a really white screen I would hear something.

I don't know how susceptible panels are to ground loops, but i wonder if that is responsible for a small percentage of the buzzing people hear on various panels.

#902 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18409730

Well kinda, like the Samsungs the new Panasonic G (and V) model no longer has that outer layer of insulating glass like all the 2001-2009 models did so you're now more likely to hear the panel buzzing at greater distances than you did with the 2009 and older models. Hopefully the issue won't be as extreme as it is with the Samsungs and Pioneers (which also don't have an outer glass). Regardless, if you can hear the buzzing from your normal viewing position enough to bother you than the TV is defective, regardless of brand.

There's a more noticeable buzz for this reason. But that = quality due to the glass panel. I've heard Pioneers and Samsung; Samsung is far worse than g25s. And Pioneers buzz the similar imo no one complains =) I only notice on white/bright images. And when volume is low.

Definitely not a reason to not consider these heh. I've had a CRT a while and there's that hum frequency always know when the TV is on, not audible like a buzz. But I'd rather have a buzz than that.

#903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek /forum/post/18411660

I have had the G20 for a couple weeks now. I mostly watch movies and some content I stream from Netlfix (through ps3) and I have not heard a single buzz yet. The PS3, my computer, and ambient noise from my neighborhood (nyc) are all I can hear. I've put my head up at the screen for minutes at a time and can't hear a thing, and I'm especially sensitive to buzzing because I have had some minor ground loop issues with audio equipment in the past. Maybe if I put up a really white screen I would hear something.

I don't know how susceptible panels are to ground loops, but i wonder if that is responsible for a small percentage of the buzzing people hear on various panels.

Agreed. I don't know if there is a huge disparity to these panels but I have heard no buzzing and seen no floating blacks or anything else.

All I keep hearing is my wife telling me how insanely good the PQ is on this set.

(She was not thrilled when we bought a blu ray player the other day but after we watched Iron Man BR last night, she is a believer)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.