AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic G20/25 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk]

1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  deathfalls 
#1 ·
Since I was asked to start this thread over in the 2010 Panny thread, here it is.

Ordered my 50G20 last Friday at the local BB, they said it was in stock at the warehouse and would be here Wednesday. It actually showed up Tuesday, and I spent last evening getting it mounted on my Unibrak articulating mount. (check into these if you're looking for a mount, great value)

First thing I watched was Lost, and was of course, blown away. After 7 years of my 47" Panny crt rear-projection set I wasn't sure how it would compare. I always liked the old set's film-like quality and fast blur-free picture, but I was worried about nothing. The new set has far better PQ than the old. The blacks are amazing, and even the fastest camera pans during action scenes look flawless.

I don't have any measuring equipment and I don't have any prior plasma experience to tell you any differences, but if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Here are some pics. I'll put up more after I get the install cleaned up.

The old girl getting put out to pasture.

Box dimensions are 34.4" x 53.0" x 11.2"

See less See more
#904 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by morehifi /forum/post/18411598

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neurox/...7623541989824/

what do u think bout that

Does the vertical bar show up with different video sources? If its a defect, you should be covered under warranty.

I'm curious what the date & place of manufacture for your unit is? Should be a sticker on the back.

#905 ·
guys...my best friend is asking me to advice him to purchase a new TV and I was thinking about the 42" G25 but all this black level issue made a tremble in my mind...I know he won't except my Kuro black levels but really want him to make a good purchase...

those who had these sets...so far so good? how many hours on it? how about image retention?

I'd really love to hear what is your experience with these 2010 sets

thanks

#908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito /forum/post/18413010

okay im running the break in for the g20 i check the time but not shure how many hours this means 5376:25

Maybe that minutes, that would make sence.

#909 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow /forum/post/18411756

There's a more noticeable buzz for this reason. But that = quality due to the glass panel. I've heard Pioneers and Samsung; Samsung is far worse than g25s. And Pioneers buzz the similar imo no one complains =) I only notice on white/bright images. And when volume is low.

Definitely not a reason to not consider these heh. I've had a CRT a while and there's that hum frequency always know when the TV is on, not audible like a buzz. But I'd rather have a buzz than that.

i think the buzzing is more of a tv to tv thing. a lot of people talked about last years samungs 650 buzzing like crazy, but my brother has a 50" and you can only hear a slight buzz if you put your head right behind the tv. there is no way you could hear it in a normal seating postion. now maybe he just got lucky, but i have read most of that samsung thread and a ton of other people don't have the buzz problem on their sets either.

#910 ·
Guys, I need some honest info. My 3rd sammy PN50B860 is going back and I need to pick up a panny quickly before the family lynches my a$$.

I've followed the threads and it seems the floating blacks on the 2010 panny models are better than what has been measured on the 2009 sammy 860. I was quite happy with the PQ on the sammy but the buzz killed it. So, since the black levels will not be a problem, how does the overall PQ compare between the sammy 860 and panny G20/25?

Also, will the 24p 48/96hz thing be a deal breaker. I'm not sure how the sammy 860 compares in this respect and have to admit I don't fully understand it, but, I want to make sure I don't screw myself later when things start making sense.

Finally, would I be better off getting the VT20? I'm a long term buyer so I plan to keep the set 7+ years.

#911 ·
Can anyone comment on how this year models compare to last year when it comes to image noise?

I was very impressed with g15 and how clean it looked, however i noticed chad b review he mentioned graininess in the picture, can anyone comment if it looks as clean as last years version? Did they change the processing or anything?

#912 ·
Well, with the risk of announcing the discovery of hot water, I can confirm that Viera Link works nicely with the PS3 (slim model). You can browse through the menus and control the DVD/BR playback (including Netflix streaming) with the Panasonic remote. Didn't see many posts on this subject, but it's a nice feature to have and it works out of the box (well, almost, needs to be enabled).
In fact, I think if you have any HDMI-CEC compliant device, you may be able to control it over HDMI and Viera Link.

#913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricevics /forum/post/18415191

Well, with the risk of announcing the discovery of hot water, I can confirm that Viera Link works nicely with the PS3 (slim model). You can browse through the menus and control the DVD/BR playback (including Netflix streaming) with the Panasonic remote. Didn't see many posts on this subject, but it's a nice feature to have and it works out of the box (well, almost, needs to be enabled).
In fact, I think if you have any HDMI-CEC compliant device, you may be able to control it over HDMI and Viera Link.

Hey that's neat! I wonder if its only on the slim model? I've got a fat 60GB.

#914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricevics /forum/post/18415191

ive been enjoying this feature since i accidentally used it.

#916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18415451

Hey that's neat! I wonder if its only on the slim model? I've got a fat 60GB.

According to this site , only slim model is compliant (scroll down to "PS3 HDMI chip" section):

Quote:
The Slim PS3 has an upgraded HDMI 1.3c protocol chip (Panasonic MN8647091), and this time bitstream of Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD MA is finally implemented, so you can use your Audio Video Receiver to decode the audio signal. In addition, HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync) is now fully supported.

Note that although HDMI CEC wiring is mandatory via HDMI 1.0 (a pin on the port is dedicated to CEC), actual implementation support for the CEC specification protocol (introduced in HDMI 1.2a) is optional. That is why the PS3 Fat did not have a CEC Controller chip attached to that pin, so all HDMI-CEC commands are ignored. The PS3 Slim does have a CEC Controller implemented inside the Panasonic HDMI chip, so it does support HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync).

Bravia Sync = Viera Link = HDMI-CEC

I was actually more surprised that it worked between devices made by different manufacturers. It's nice to see that both Sony and Panasonic followed standards.

#917 ·
I have a quick question regarding the G20/G25.

Basically, I'm down to two TV's this plasma and a LCD. Does anyone know how durable the anti-reflection coating is on the TV?

My concern is a 2 year old that likes to touch the TV and leave finger prints on the screen. It wasn't a problem on my old Panasonic Tau CRT, just Windex the glass.

But I'm assuming, it's harder to clean a plasma with a AR coating and I certainly wouldn't want it damaged by frequent touching.

#919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricevics /forum/post/18415874

According to this site , only slim model is compliant (scroll down to "PS3 HDMI chip" section):

Bravia Sync = Viera Link = HDMI-CEC

I was actually more surprised that it worked between devices made by different manufacturers. It's nice to see that both Sony and Panasonic followed standards.

Yeah after a quick search, found out too. Damn, ah well.

#920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg4878 /forum/post/18415877

But I'm assuming, it's harder to clean a plasma with a AR coating and I certainly wouldn't want it damaged by frequent touching.

Plasmas are not hard to clean, maybe a little hard to get streak free. Don't use windex, us a plasma cleaning kit. Is hanging the TV an option, then it can be hung out of harms way.

#921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/18415922

Plasmas are not hard to clean, maybe a little hard to get streak free. Don't use windex, us a plasma cleaning kit. Is hanging the TV an option, then it can be hung out of harms way.

Unfortunately, hanging the TV is not an option. Our living room is oddly shaped and the TV is actually in the corner.

I've seen pictures where people mounted them in the corner, but the wife won't go for that.

#925 ·
I have a 50g20 being delivered to me this Saturday to replace my 50g10 under warranty. I saw it set up in the store the other day & it looked good. I didn't see floating blacks but it was daylight & the set was running full screen too. It was beside a S2 & looked more or less the same in image quality. I'm hoping I like this set as much as my G10 overall despite the issues I've had with it.

#926 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster /forum/post/18416214

I have a 50g20 being delivered to me this Saturday to replace my 50g10 under warranty. I saw it set up in the store the other day & it looked good. I didn't see floating blacks but it was daylight & the set was running full screen too. It was beside a S2 & looked more or less the same in image quality. I'm hoping I like this set as much as my G10 overall despite the issues I've had with it.

it's not easy to see the floating blacks during the day.

it's easy to spot at the end of colbert report, though, when the "busboy" logo shoots across the screen.

#927 ·
Quaildog,

It was I who got this issue escalated to engineering. I am the original 2010 floating blacks bitcher. I'm really glad you called and complained about it as well. Now we are two.

They escalated this to engineering (supposedly) over a week ago. I have still heard nothing back.

I was reading some threads about how all this works, and it doesn't sound promising. It sound like an energy star issue. Something about cutting initialization cycles from 2 to 1 below certain levels. Evidently that cuts total power output and makes them have that pretty energy star rating, but then causes an adjustment lag time. I have no clue, I'm paraphrasing (poorly) what I read some tech type guys writing in the floating blacks thread. My fear is this is not going to be fixed by firmware, which really pisses me off. If I return my G20 to Best Buy this week, I will go home without a replacement, because as I understand it Panasonic's entire 2010 plasma line has this issue. I've been reading up on this in older Panasonic threads. In the past people have made a huge stink over it and customer service came out and replaced panels and power supplies, etc, etc. This is not a new issue. It's frustrating Panasonic is playing dumb. They know exactly what their set is doing and why, and they aren't going to give us a damn thing until after their 3D line is sold out. When they do, it will be "The set is doing what it is intended to do under normal use. This is not a warranty issue."

Samsung, here I come. Hang in there till May, boys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.