The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2271 Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
JJ7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am considering a 42" or 46" S2 as a second set in our home- for some DVR viewing and Wii gaming. Is this set a good choice? I'm not sure if I should be looking at LCDs instead if we're planning to do a fair amount of gaming. My primary set is a Kuro- I love the black levels and good viewing angles. Those are the main reasons I was thinking of a plasma for this second set as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2271 Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post

I am considering a 42" or 46" S2 as a second set in our home- for some DVR viewing and Wii gaming. Is this set a good choice? I'm not sure if I should be looking at LCDs instead if we're planning to do a fair amount of gaming. My primary set is a Kuro- I love the black levels and good viewing angles. Those are the main reasons I was thinking of a plasma for this second set as well.

If you wanted a Kuro which is very pricey, you should consider the TC-P46G25 or larger. If you go to a Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics that has them side by side there is a clear difference.

My dad just got a 58" S2, and I'm encouraging him to sell it and go for the G25. It really looks a lot better.
post #273 of 2271 Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmendoza1969 View Post

so, i am considering exchanging the tc-p50s2 for a 46" c2. it just seems too big for our living room - otherwise i like it. we sit 10-11 feet away and my wife and son watch mostly non-hd stuff. i will be watching most of the hd (football/discovery channel) and my son will play his wii.

i could tell the difference between the 720 vs 1080 side by side at BB. but since most of our viewing will be non-1080p, do you think i will be able to tell? we are connected to Uverse. my other option would be to exchange for the 46" s2, but i got such a great deal on the original 50", i would end up spending more for the 46" and that burns me...

you think i should pull the trigger and do the exchange for a c2 or an s2?
any thoughts are appreciated. my 30 day window ends this week.

I'm really pretty sure you can't tell the difference at all between a 1080p and 720p when the 46" is a 720p. You will notice the difference at much larger sizes. This is a common misconception.

What you are noticing is a difference in image quality. The C2 is a cheaper model. What you really should get is the G25. It looks much better. My G10 looks much better than my dad's S2, and the G10 is last year's model.

When buying a TV that isn't monsterous your main concern is the image quality of the set.

I'd recommend to stay away from the G10 as there have been some reported problems with black levels that decrease quite a bit over time.

Go for the G25!
post #274 of 2271 Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 PM

I just got this tv last week, I used D-Nice's settings, however I'm stuck on the Service Menu section....how do I reset this to default? its sorta a clusterf*uck at this point....if anyone can help through this calibration portion that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WB-ADJ MENU
R-DRV: +5
G-DRV: -11
B-DRV: -11
R-CUT: -2
G-CUT: 0
B-CUT: +4
post #275 of 2271 Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV85 View Post

I just got this tv last week, I used D-Nice's settings, however I'm stuck on the Service Menu section....how do I reset this to default? its sorta a clusterf*uck at this point....if anyone can help through this calibration portion that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WB-ADJ MENU
R-DRV: +5
G-DRV: -11
B-DRV: -11
R-CUT: -2
G-CUT: 0
B-CUT: +4

Just out of curiousity, what went wrong?
post #276 of 2271 Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM

well I had trouble navigating the options and controls, so i accidently changed a few things. However, I turned the tv on/off and now it appears everything is back (back to my cinema settings). Does this mean the Service Menu is back to Default?

Thanks for replying
post #277 of 2271 Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Also, for the tint value, does G9 = "+29"?
Someone asked this previously but I couldn't find an answer..
post #278 of 2271 Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV85 View Post

Also, for the tint value, does G9 = "+29"?
Someone asked this previously but I couldn't find an answer..

I imagine they mean +9 on the green side.
post #279 of 2271 Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Hello all,

I have a P42S2 and I've been reading much on this "black rise" issue (or "feature" depending on who you talk to). I consider myself a casual viewer -- I primarily watch DVDs and a few HD channels for a couple of hours a night, and I usually have a lamp on in the room. I'm pretty satisfied with the picture quality with the cinema setting, so I probably won't venture into calibration. Even with the rise in black levels, do you think it would be very noticeable in my situation? (I know thats pretty subjective.) I usually watch from about 9' away.

Thanks
post #280 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 AM

My new 58S2 is due in tomorrow morning and I got all the new collateral equipment in today which includes a Panasonic 1019 receiver. This is my first time working with HDMI and all digital signals, rather than component inputs. Should I send the HDTV HDMI signal from my DirecTV box to the receiver, or exclude the video signal from the receiver since the S2 does such a good job of processing on it's own? It seems like they would be jointly adding too much processing to the original clean signal.

Also, If I do input the DirectTV HDMI signal to the receiver I thought that would include the digital audio signal, but the receiver hookup drawings seem to indicate that I would have to run an optical or some type of audio output from the S2 to the receiver to get that audio source to the surround speaker system.

Confused on these two issues and want to get off to a good start with what can be complicated setups the first time through. Much less starting to think about the calibrations, which I have been absorbing from this thread.

I am running Klipsch horn loaded speakers up front and also surround as FYI. Also, Panasonic BluRay and PS3 inputs.

Thanks for your help.
post #281 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You run an optical directly from the DTV box to the AVR. The one from the TV is if you are using the TV's internal tuner. Although, I'd run everything HDMI. It's doubtful that you'll notice any difference between the S2 and the AVR's video processing.
post #282 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Just got my 50S2 and loving it so far. no problems.
post #283 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft View Post

Just out of curiousity, what went wrong?

well I had trouble navigating the options and controls, so i accidently changed a few things. However, I turned the tv on/off and now it appears everything is back (back to my cinema settings). Does this mean the Service Menu is back to Default?

Thanks for replying
post #284 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J P Morgan View Post

WOW! Love my new plasma. A little smaller than my old Sony KDS-55A2020 but an awesome picture.

Thanks Dnice and everybody else for all the critical setting info!!

Can some one familiar with Dnice' settings for the S2 post a link or give a page number?

Thanks!

Will it include a review?

HD Rules
post #285 of 2271 Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolShark View Post

Can some one familiar with Dnice' settings for the S2 post a link or give a page number?

Thanks!

Will it include a review?

Here it is

Cinema Mode
Picture:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 71
Brightness: 60
Color: 47
Tint: G9
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm
x.v. Color: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: On

Personally, I dont know what kind of lighted room (if any this is taylored too..) mine is "medium" light throughout my apt and its good for the most part. However, I put the sharpness to 35 and I think its a little more brighter/dynamic or something. Anyone else going higher on sharpness?

I HATE the calibration process because I'm so OCD, wish there was some automatic way of doing this lol
post #286 of 2271 Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Can anyone help me with post #265? I imagine someone has updated firmware and could shed some light on this. Thanks.
post #287 of 2271 Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Damnit, why didn't anyone say anything about the service menu settings?? now im freaking out b/c other forums i looked at say that you shouldn't touch them as no two tv's are alike....i just wanted to change mine to D-Nice's settings...

I'm 99 percent sure that i really didnt change anything as i remember these values

HD

Warm

Should i be freaking out here? somebody please help...i just got this tv and I wanna be assured that if something is even slightly off there IS something i can do...
post #288 of 2271 Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Hello everyone, I am interested S2 42 "but I am doing the break in slides for the calibration of DNIzE, the great intrigue that I have is if the S2 has the same problem that had the S1 with the precision of color in the green and red push they had, bone in the S2 was resolved that problem and that is my main concern??.

If I decide to make or break DNIzE settings on slides, the image that would also win would be good?? thread someone is doing well without having done the break in images??

I am very excited to buy the S2 so would appreciate your comments rather about everything that interests me most is whether the problem of green and red push that was the big ah S1 is fixed in the S2 and if necessary to arrange that I have to do what I did the breaking of images, this would be my first TV PLASMA years after having a CRT samsung wrong and I would like to purchase.

Greetings from South America.
post #289 of 2271 Old 07-25-2010, 03:17 PM

The S2 looks absolutely great out of the box on Cinema setting. Experimented some and could see differences by using various suggested settings, but all they showed was being different not better. Great set and crisp deep picture. Running it through a Panasonic AV receiver too.
post #290 of 2271 Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 PM

I've been interested in the 42" edition of this TV a lot. I've been comparing it to the C2 and deciding which one I should buy. The obvious differences between the two are 1080p vs. 720p and AR filter vs no glare protection. Other than these two differences, why should I buy the S2 over the C2?
post #291 of 2271 Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM

I've been an owner of the S2 for awhile now... so far been pretty happy with it!

I'm getting a Panasonic BD85 blu-ray player which supports 24p output. However, I notice in my picture settings and in the manual there is an option for 3:2 pull-down to be able to set it to on - off or auto. My question is, since this is a 60hz display won't I need to use this setting for proper NTSC DVD/blu-ray playback?

What's confusing me is - that it's even an option to turn the 3:2 pull-down option off on the TV picture settings even though it's a 60Hz display. It seems to me that it would be a requirement to have this setting set to on?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? The manual is a bit "mum" on the explanation for this setting. The only thing it says is that it "optimizes playback of 24p content...". It don't believe the S2 has the capability for 24p cinema playback... but not sure what the difference is in this case.
post #292 of 2271 Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiavs View Post

I've been an owner of the S2 for awhile now... so far been pretty happy with it!

I'm getting a Panasonic BD85 blu-ray player which supports 24p output. However, I notice in my picture settings and in the manual there is an option for 3:2 pull-down to be able to set it to on - off or auto. My question is, since this is a 60hz display won't I need to use this setting for proper NTSC DVD/blu-ray playback?

What's confusing me is - that it's even an option to turn the 3:2 pull-down option off on the TV picture settings even though it's a 60Hz display. It seems to me that it would be a requirement to have this setting set to on?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? The manual is a bit "mum" on the explanation for this setting. The only thing it says is that it "optimizes playback of 24p content...". It don't believe the S2 has the capability for 24p cinema playback... but not sure what the difference is in this case.

Essentially the same question came up a little while back... the setting on the TV only pertains to how the TV deinterlaces 480i/60 and 1080i/60 material. Auto is the correct setting unless you have deinterlacing issues. The other settings force a particular deinterlacing algorithm to match native 60Hz sources (video) or 24Hz film-based sources that were converted to 60Hz in the telecine process using the 3:2 pulldown.

It is somewhat confusing in that it has absolutely nothing to do with sources that hit the TV's input as 24Hz video. The TV will handle that irrespective of that setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

...the setting only pertains to selecting the correct deinterlacing algorithm. It should be available for sources that hit the TV at 480i/60 and 1080i/60 only.

Normally, the Auto setting allows the TV to determine whether a 60Hz interlaced source originated as 60Hz (video) or 24Hz (film w/3:2 pulldown introduced in the telecine stage) and automatically apply the correct deinterlacing method. The manual setting is only there to allow you to force a particular deinterlacing algorithm if the TV is guessing wrong, which typically results in a combing effect.

If the video that is hitting the TV is already progressive scan (whether natively or because it has been deinterlaced upstream by another device), then the setting is irrelevant and would be grayed out.

Unless you see deinterlacing issues with a particular piece of 480i/1080i content, its best to just leave it on Auto anyway... otherwise you will need to be switching it back and forth manually every time a commercial comes on during the movie you are watching on a 1080i network.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #293 of 2271 Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM

I just ordered my P50S2 and it'll be arriving tomorrow. It's not going to be easy going back to work after it gets delivered. The only thing I wish this TV had is a swivel stand. Nothing's perfect I guess!
post #294 of 2271 Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister f View Post

I just ordered my P50S2 and it'll be arriving tomorrow. It's not going to be easy going back to work after it gets delivered. The only thing I wish this TV had is a swivel stand. Nothing's perfect I guess!

You can buy platforms that swivel to set the TV on. IKEA sells one.
post #295 of 2271 Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Essentially the same question came up a little while back... the setting on the TV only pertains to how the TV deinterlaces 480i/60 and 1080i/60 material. Auto is the correct setting unless you have deinterlacing issues. The other settings force a particular deinterlacing algorithm to match native 60Hz sources (video) or 24Hz film-based sources that were converted to 60Hz in the telecine process using the 3:2 pulldown.

It is somewhat confusing in that it has absolutely nothing to do with sources that hit the TV's input as 24Hz video. The TV will handle that irrespective of that setting.

Thanks for the clarification!
post #296 of 2271 Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

I got to say the TC-P58S2 looks very impressive.

I tried the Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark to calibrate the set, and I had nearly the same results in contrast, brigthness and color as D-Nice. I also forgot his settings and did so with no knowledge of his settings. Just kind of an interesting aspect.

If anyone wants to see the S2 in a different light I sugest trying out the color temp to cool.

Every single color looks much more accurate. I don't think it looks blueish in any way either.
post #297 of 2271 Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Something_soft, did you do any kind of a break in period? If so, what did you do? Just curious since you're coming up so close in results to d-nice. I get my 46S2 in the next day or two and really don't want to do 100 hours or so of slides.
post #298 of 2271 Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM

I just bought 42s2; looks really good.. i was wandering why in the box is says it has
"infinite black" but in Panasonic site it does not.
post #299 of 2271 Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Just bought the TC-P58S2, should be here next Thu. Will be breaking in, and then enjoying. Calibration set for week after Labor Day.
post #300 of 2271 Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_McDougal View Post

I have only seen floating blacks once on my 58" (on HDTV, episode of Burn Notice). I keep on theater lighting at night so that could help it, but really I think the size of the set combined with my 9' seating distance makes it hard for me to see since the panel puts out so much light.

You guys wanna see blacks float all over the screen, buy one of the LED LCD's with local dimming...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page