The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2271 Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done my best to remove any interference from the equation. The xbox 360 has proprietary components and are only ones I can use for It.

Almost all of components are plugged into one outlet using power strips. I only have the one outlet available. I replaced the physical outlet when I moved here and it is properly grounded.

Would a power conditioner help out? Any other possible solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up the 50S2 last night, loving it so far. The Cinema mode seems the best without going into the custom settings. A few questions:

1. When I have a lamp on and can see it in the reflection of the panel I see what i can only describe as a Diamond checkered pattern when looking at the light reflection. Is that normal?

2. Also I am new to Plasma's so what should I be doing to properly break-in my screen.

Thanks!!!
post #33 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM

^ Hopefully that is normal because I have that diamond pattern too haha. But seriously, I am pretty sure the panel is designed like that.

I ran slides while at work and all night...giving the TV a break for a little bit here and there. I also watched TV when I was home just making sure the settings were down and everything full screen. I got up to the 120 hour mark pretty quick. You can find the slides in the forums as they are the most popular form of break-in, but some will argue it is not even necessary anymore. I just wanted to hit the 120 mark asap.
post #34 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Glad i'm not the only one to notice the Diamond pattern, anyone else chime in if they see it too?

What is the help of running the slides and the significance of the 120 Hour mark?
post #35 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingCrown View Post

What is the help of running the slides and the significance of the 120 Hour mark?

From my understanding you can't/shouldn't really calibrate the TV until the 120 hour mark at least. Also, I believe at that time it is safe to raise the contrast and fear less of IR/burn in happening. The slides just get you there faster because you don't have to worry about logos of stations causing burn in while the TV is on for long periods of time. It also helps to evenly age the TV so when you do calibrate you get the results you are meant to.
post #36 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM

Liked: 11
I just picked up a 50 s2 last night and I see the diamond pattern as well in reflections, but it doesn't bother me.

Also, to me it has less of a green shift than the s1 had, although I never really found the green shift in the s1 too bothersome.

Does anyone notice any difference when they use the motion blur reduction feature? I don't notice any difference...

The black levels seem pretty identical to the s1.
post #37 of 2271 Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM

I was playing the Watchmen Directors Cut BD last night and the graininess was intolerable in the dark scenes. Will be calling Panny tomorrrow for some answers.
post #38 of 2271 Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Got my S2 tonight, looks great. I bought it for $974 shipped from Overstock.

Installed it in my condo using a Monoprice Mount on metal studs using tapcons.

Anyone got recommended calibration settings?
post #39 of 2271 Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthy lacy View Post

I was playing the Watchmen Directors Cut BD last night and the graininess was intolerable in the dark scenes. Will be calling Panny tomorrrow for some answers.

Be sure to let us know what they say whenever you hear from them. I am very interested in learning if there is a fix before my return period is up.
post #40 of 2271 Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Swift, I'm calling Monday, possibly Tuesday. I will keep you apprised.
post #41 of 2271 Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberGeist View Post

Got my S2 tonight, looks great. I bought it for $974 shipped from Overstock.

Installed it in my condo using a Monoprice Mount on metal studs using tapcons.

Anyone got recommended calibration settings?

Awesome! Did you get the 46 or 50? I just got my 50S2 1 1/2 weeks ago and am loving it. I like it just the way it is and it hard to imagine calibrating it would make it any better. I'll wait and see what is reported.

I am going to mount mine also in a couple weeks. How is the monoprice mount? i have read good reviews on them. Did you get the flush, tilt or the one that swings around?

Tom
post #42 of 2271 Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpross View Post

Awesome! Did you get the 46 or 50? I just got my 50S2 1 1/2 weeks ago and am loving it. I like it just the way it is and it hard to imagine calibrating it would make it any better. I'll wait and see what is reported.

I bought the 50".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpross View Post

I am going to mount mine also in a couple weeks. How is the monoprice mount? i have read good reviews on them. Did you get the flush, tilt or the one that swings around?

No problems with the Monoprice mount. I used different screws than what came with the unit because I have metal studs in my condo (high-rise). It's a tilt mount.
post #43 of 2271 Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 430
pricing/ retail links are not allowed: technical talk only

check link in my sig for rules

Thanks
post #44 of 2271 Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmac View Post

Be sure to let us know what they say whenever you hear from them. I am very interested in learning if there is a fix before my return period is up.

Panny's viera concierge service is sending an in-home tech to check out the prob in a few days. The tech on the phone said there must be something defective with the set.

I hope that when the set is repaired/replaced it will wow me as it has wowwed everyone else
post #45 of 2271 Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Quick question. Im looking at getting a 42" s1 or s2 and im wondering why such a difference in price? Is the s2 missing something?
post #46 of 2271 Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 AM

I just picked up a Panasonic TC-P54S2. I found this breakin and calibration guide on this board for the PXXS1 series. Would this guide still apply to my new 54S2?

With my low post count, I can not properly insert the link. Copy/paste and remove the space before the "c" in com

Http://s.fatwallet. com/static/attachments/18332_calibrationguide.pdf

Thanks,
Mike
post #47 of 2271 Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM

This grainy picture is driving me crazy on my TC-P50S2. I liked the picture on my TH50PX60U way better. I never had any of these issues. Too bad it died on me.

Lacy please post back as soon as you hear from them. I want to know if I should be taking this thing back.
post #48 of 2271 Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacp View Post

This grainy picture is driving me crazy on my TC-P50S2. I liked the picture on my TH50PX60U way better. I never had any of these issues. Too bad it died on me.

Lacy please post back as soon as you hear from them. I want to know if I should be taking this thing back.

If the the TV is still under panny or a purchased extended warranty you should not hesitate to call for IN HOME service as I ahve done. Since you own a 50inch someone will come in and analyze the problem. Fix it or replace it.

I have techs coming over on tuesday. I keep you up todate. The graininess in dark scenes is simply intolerable. The grain is there in all BDs, HD cable and Xbox 360 HD-DVD
post #49 of 2271 Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Sorry for my occasional typographical or grammatical error, I'm using my cell phone to post most of the time.
post #50 of 2271 Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacp View Post

The 60u was a much much more accurate tv. I have one. I also have an S1, which is much like the S2. Coming from a 60u, I wasnt satisfied with the S1 for a long time until I calibrated the grayscale. The colors of the s1/s2 just do not seem as accurate as Panasonic's of the past, like the 60u. It was one of the best sets IMO.

To reduce that grainly look, run a mode like cinema, which greatly reduces "dithering", and then use a pluge pattern, to reduce sharpness around the below black bar (it shows up there if its too high) and also make sure brightness is adjusted properly, as low as it can be without loss of detail. A pluge pattern is perfect for reducing grain, on the two above black bars, you should see lots of dithering in "standard" mode, with sharpness and brightness too high. Go ahead and test it yourself. Doing these three things should remove the "Grainy" look by a lot.

I took a look at the previously posted default cinema mode rgb tracking in this thread, and it looks a lot like the S1. Green is tracking too high, and to keep flesh looking "right" cinema mode says tint is at "0" but it is really at -8 towards red. If you play with the blue filter and a DVE disk, you will see this "trick" Cinema mode tint at "0" actually equals "-8" on any other mode. I would imagine this is panasonic's "trick" to get glowing bright greens, and maintain an OK looking skin tone.

I recommend a grayscale calibration, and the above picture adjustments to reduce dithering, and then you will be in heaven just like when you had your 60U.
post #51 of 2271 Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Red,

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. Here is a comparison of the factory RGB tracking and CIE gamuts for the PX60U and the S1. I don't see much difference.

The gamma curves are extremely similar also.

Larry
post #52 of 2271 Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Larry.

I removed my statement about "better RGB Balance" from my original post. This is very enlightening actually. I thought I had seen pre-calibration charts that looked better for the 60u but I must have been mistaken.

Why on earth did my S1 looks overly green all over the place before grayscale tweaking, and the 60u I have still doesn't, both on warm? yet they both share the same grayscale characteristics.
post #53 of 2271 Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the tips.

I am using D-nice's calibration settings, but I will definately try the pluge pattern to see if I can make it go away.

I did hook my laptop up to the tv to see if it is a better source and found that the graininess did seem to go away. I have a Blu ray player on my laptop, so I am going to go rent one today and see how it looks.

Is the tv just not very good at processing anything that is not a 1080p source? Both my xbox and satellite only do 1080i output.
post #54 of 2271 Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Obviously new to the forum, but am happy to have found such a great resource.

I just got a 50" S2 this week and have kicked off running the break-in slides just a few minutes ago. This is my first HDTV, let alone my first plasma. Really looking forward to it.
post #55 of 2271 Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mn8r View Post

Obviously new to the forum, but am happy to have found such a great resource.

I just got a 50" S2 this week and have kicked off running the break-in slides just a few minutes ago. This is my first HDTV, let alone my first plasma. Really looking forward to it.

Brother, once you go HD you never go back
post #56 of 2271 Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 AM

I recently purchased a 42 inch s2 and I am very happy with the purchase. I'm coming from a 60u and the picture to me is outstanding for a 800 dollar TV. What people have to understand is that flat panel technology is a ever improving thing. My first TV that I got as a kid was a black and white zenith and is a far cry from the 34 inch HD Sony tube TV that I have. Flat panels are in the first years of existence so people will have to live with the problems that come perfecting it.
post #57 of 2271 Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Does anyone know if the the "noise" grainy picture is just natural to plasma in the background of scenes? I am currently watching "24" and the noise in the background in unreal. Clearly seen from 6 feet away, you can just see the background picture that is out of focus moving around like crazy. It is intense haha.

I am wondering if the G20 would be any better or if it would be exactly the same. My ps3 looks pretty crisp now so I am thinking the noise is just inherent to either hdtv in general or some of the channels.
post #58 of 2271 Old 04-06-2010, 01:15 PM

I know what you are saying swiftmac. It is almost unwatchable. There is just so much movement in the picture it is giving me motion sickness. =P

I am going to give Panasonic a call and find out what is what, but I want to hear back from mouth lacy and see how the visit from the tech went.
post #59 of 2271 Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Okay, i know some people have been waiting on the edge of their seats for the aftermath of the tech's arrival. Well, here it is.

The tech came over (I was told he would arrive between 9am and 1pm. He showed at 2:30pm) and looked at what all my inputs looked like. The cable (thru HDMI) on SD and HD, the BD player, and the Xbox 360. He concentrated on what the Xbox 360 looked like as it showed the graininess the best.

The tech grabbed the remote and started making adjustments to color, sharpness, brightness and sharpness. I always suspected the sharpness adjustments I was attempting were doing nothing. The sharpness adjustments did nothing for him so.........

The tech decided to change the mother board or "A BOARD," as he referred to it. After he made a call to Panny to confirm he was using the correct replacement board he took the back off and made the swap. After switching out the old board for a new one he started making adjustments.

Well, now that my sharpness adjustments are working (not drastic changes, mind you) the grainy problem has improved some. I also saw some minor difference when i turned off the anti image retention, although i dont recommend keeping that particular function off.

So a combinaton of the tech, a mother board replacement, and some calibraton the problem has alleviated somewhat but not disappeared. It was explained that this is inherent to plasma TVs in varying degrees from model to model.

My opinion, It still has to be under Panny's warranty so take advantage of some in-home service and check it out for yourself.
post #60 of 2271 Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the update. I can definately understand some noise, but I think what we have been witnessing is something out of the ordinary. As it stands right now I could not even watch a movie from my xbox as there are wavy lines running from top to bottom. I will be calling panasonic tomorrow.

What are your settings at right now?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page