The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk] - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2271 Old 05-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I just tried D-nice's settings. I also went into the SM and changed the values there. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly.

However, everything just looks "washed out". Whites don't really look white, blacks don't really look black, and colors don't really "pop".

It seems like I have to go into Vivid Mode or at least Custom in order to get the effects that I desire. Am I the only one that's seeing this?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining. I just would like this TV to look good in brighter conditions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2271 Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Liked: 13
I had a Vizio plasma just before they stopped making them and it got ripped off. I loved the blacks and am looking for a plasma replacement. After reading this thread it looks like the TC-P54S2 I was thinking about is not the way to go. A lot of defective circuit boards from one particular supplier? The excess grain issue is unacceptable.
post #93 of 2271 Old 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Bonkrood,
How do you access the SM? Thanks. I tried by pressing VOL- and INFO 3 times, but an anything happens.
I watch lots of soccer and I can't get a setting that gives a "true picture". The white colors look bluish or greenish. Weird!
I am considering returning the TV to BB, but I would like to try to change the menu settings first...sometimes the cinema mode gives a nice picture but varies by the channel.
Can anyone recommend "another plasma" TV around the same price range?
Thank you for your help.
post #94 of 2271 Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 PM

sacatacos:

You have to hold the Vol- button on the tv itself, then press the "info" button the remote 3 times. Then let go of the vol- button.

Even with the SM adjustments, the picture doesn't look too great in Cinema Mode. I don't understand if I'm missing something or if this is just the best it gets on this tv.

I'm actually watching it on Custom Mode because I can't get it to look good enough on Cinema Mode. And this is with the lights completely off. Please, someone who knows what they're talking about, enlighten me.
post #95 of 2271 Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 AM

Thank you bonkrood. I was pressing the volume on the remote!
I beleive I have the same issue/complain as you. I can't get the "rigth vivid/real color" (cinema mode, the others suck!), mainly to watch sports (soccer).
I'll wait and see if anyone can give me any advise within the next couple of days...before I return this "weird TV" and try a Sansumg.
post #96 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 AM

I bought a 54S2 on Friday and love it so far. I set it up and turned all my settings under 50 and watched the tv all weekend maybe no more than 20 hours. I started reading about the break in slides and now i'm wondering is it too late to run them on my panel? I'd be willing to run them for 7 hours or so each nite while i'm sleeping or is that worthless at this point?

Thanks for the help guys
post #97 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkrood View Post

Hey guys,

I just tried D-nice's settings. I also went into the SM and changed the values there. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly.

However, everything just looks "washed out". Whites don't really look white, blacks don't really look black, and colors don't really "pop".

It seems like I have to go into Vivid Mode or at least Custom in order to get the effects that I desire. Am I the only one that's seeing this?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining. I just would like this TV to look good in brighter conditions. Thanks in advance.

I have a 65S1 and finally settled on Custom mode as well, despite a lot of the pros in the forum sticking with Cinema. I have my contrast between 85 and 90 on Custom and it seems to do the trick. I have had zero IR problems so far and did not use break in slides. I kept trying to convince myself that I had done something wrong because everyone was staying in Cinema, but, alas, had to go with something that made me happy.
post #98 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM

I received my 50S2 on Friday and also noticed the picture issue on all 3 HDMI ports. The picture looks stunning on Cinema mode with the Avatar blu-ray, but switching to the other modes brings out the grain. I did a lot of testing before finding this thread, switching inputs, cables, source, etc. I finally unplugged the cables completely and found that even the TV’s menu shows the grain when set to anything other than cinema or vivid. This is most noticeable in standard mode. Cinema makes it disappear. I will call Panasonic later today. Is this something that can be fixed with firmware? The firmware on this set shows up as 0150-2010 on the about screen. Status1 shows 11003-10011. I would hate to return it since it’s mounted over the fireplace already and can look great at times.
post #99 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I think I've just about had it with this TV. I guess because I've been spoiled with my LCD's bright picture, this just doesn't look as good. I will be returning it soon.

If you read this and are thinking of buying this TV, I would not recommend it.
post #100 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM

I don't know if i'd take it that far. It's not terrible by any means. Looks fine to me. This is my 2nd panasonic plasma and both are awesome sets.
post #101 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Guys,
I'm in Houston on business all this week. The hotel I'm staying has a LG 42" plasma TV, what a nice picture! And hotels don't get the best connections! When I get back home this week end I will be returning the TV to BB. I can't believe Panasonic has produced such a "bad plasma TV"!!!!
Good luck to the ones keeping this "faulty piece of equipment".
post #102 of 2271 Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc909 View Post

I received my 50S2 on Friday and also noticed the picture issue on all 3 HDMI ports. The picture looks stunning on Cinema mode with the Avatar blu-ray, but switching to the other modes brings out the grain. I did a lot of testing before finding this thread, switching inputs, cables, source, etc. I finally unplugged the cables completely and found that even the TV's menu shows the grain when set to anything other than cinema or vivid. This is most noticeable in standard mode. Cinema makes it disappear. I will call Panasonic later today. Is this something that can be fixed with firmware? The firmware on this set shows up as 0150-2010 on the about screen. Status1 shows 11003-10011. I would hate to return it since it's mounted over the fireplace already and can look great at times.

nothing defective with your set. This is why Cinema mode is the only mode recommended to be used with Panasonic plasma. it's been that way for the last couple of years and models.
post #103 of 2271 Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI_#73 View Post

I don't know if i'd take it that far. It's not terrible by any means. Looks fine to me. This is my 2nd panasonic plasma and both are awesome sets.

I retract my previous statement. I changed my settings to the recommended settings via this website and it looked terrible. Colors were washed out, faded looking almost. I altered the settings to be a little brighter and "pop" but then the picture turns grainy as hell. I cannot get the picture to look good no matter what I do. Now I see what you guys are talking about and i'm highly disappointed.
post #104 of 2271 Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bill View Post

I purchased the TC-P50S2 Saturday at a local BB store. Got it home and set it up. I was very disappointed with the background grainy- ness and blur. I went to bed fully intending to return the TV this morning. I read a post in regard to settings to help this problem before I began to re box the TV and return it. I changed the picture mode to "Cinema" droped the sharpness down to zero and WOW! Basketball in HD looks great again. Movies also have that nice smooth texture like my two older Panasonic plasmas excel at.
Thanks to all for the advice! Other picture modes really are terrible for this TV.
I am going to keep this TV now.
Boy that was close!

So you had the default settings, then the only change you made was switching to cinema and changing sharpness to zero and that did the trick?
post #105 of 2271 Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
I switched to Cinema and used these settings
Picture:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 71
Brightness: 60
Color: 47
Tint: G9
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm
x.v. Color: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: On

However I set color temp to cool and Tint to G6
I love this!
post #106 of 2271 Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks mariachi! Quick question. When I edit the cinema settings and pick a different color temp, will this change the cinema setting for the other HDMI inputs as well? Is their one global cinema setting, or can it be modified per input? Have not had a chance to try any of this, but will give it a shot tonight.
post #107 of 2271 Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 PM

yes, unfortunately, it's a global setting so whatever changes you made on one input will affect another input using the same picture mode. So you have to find a setting that will look good for all inputs sources.
post #108 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:

Picture:

Advance Options

I love this!

When you guys are talking about the tint and say G6, how exactly do you set it to G6? I know there is red yellow and green on the little bars when you go to change the tint but the normal number values only show. Do you scroll over til you get to the green bar and then go 6 to the right?
post #109 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 AM

Either way, I had messed with the settings some more last night and the picture still looks terrible. Colors are washed out, almost faded looking. Colors don't pop like they did on my old panasonic 42" plasma. I'm pretty upset with this tv but i'll try the settings above and see what happens.

What TV's are you guys switching to when returning this one?
post #110 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkrood View Post

Hey guys,

Droids grayscale settings drop the light output of the tv to a very low levels. This can make white look pretty dim. Consider trying one of the offsets made by a calibrator that actually raised red and blue drive rather then decreasing green drive.

I felt the same way with the S1 when using droids settings, it made the tv dim and dull. Now I am using offsets that raise red and blue, and leave green as is, and the results are amazing. You don't want to sacrifice overall contrast to correct your grayscale. With increasing blue and red drive, you actually increase the contrast of the picture. Then you can simply dial your contrast setting to your liking in the user menu. Use LarryIRI signiture link to look at the grayscale settings that increase overall light output. There are better offsets available, IMO.

You will know you have it right once you see it with a pluge pattern. You want a color free, neutral gray, and of course, you want that white clean and bright.

I am using Chad473's offsets, but wrinklefree's offsets are excellent too. He has a whole website that has a review on the S1 with side to side comparison to a Kuro after grayscale calibration.

I found for my set, wrinklefrees was still a tad green, but chads was perfect. Chad also had the exact same starting offset drives that I did, for what thats worth.
post #111 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed, in general you guys are all trying to fix the exact same problems that the S1 has. Chances are the S1 and S2 are identical sets. You should really all take a look at the Official S1 thread, which has over 7000 posts. This will save time with you guys trying to solve the same issues that have already been resolved or discussed.

As long as your grayscale has a green cast to it, and you follow the DVE blue filter and test pattern and set cinema mode to +8 green tint, you will suffer a washy, overly green looking picture. It is my theory that the cinema mode "tricks" the consumer into thinking there tint is correct at zero, like it is on all the other modes. But in Cinema mode, since it defaults to that warm, overly green grayscale, they actually made the tint at "0" -8 towards red. (try it yourself with your blue filter, all the modes have an accurate tint at "0", but cinema is actually accurate at +8. Without filters, the consumer doesnt know this, and leaves it at "0" which is really -8 towards red) This is probably to enhance the look of green, say on a baseball field, but preserve skin tones. This results it inaccurate colors. BECAUSE there is an inaccurate, green grayscale, they have to mess up the colors to get them to look "right".

Once you fix the grayscale, then you can set the tint correctly, and all will be perfect in the tv world. Setting tint correctly with that terribly green out of the box grayscale however, will result in an overly green picture. Not to mention white looks green reguardless of the color and tint.

If you love the Warm color temp, you really have to fix the grayscale. Otherwise, use cool/custom settings.
post #112 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Droids grayscale settings drop the light output of the tv to a very low levels. This can make white look pretty dim. Consider trying one of the offsets made by a calibrator that actually raised red and blue drive rather then decreasing green drive.

I felt the same way with the S1 when using droids settings, it made the tv dim and dull. Now I am using offsets that raise red and blue, and leave green as is, and the results are amazing. You don't want to sacrifice overall contrast to correct your grayscale. With increasing blue and red drive, you actually increase the contrast of the picture. Then you can simply dial your contrast setting to your liking in the user menu. Use LarryIRI signiture link to look at the grayscale settings that increase overall light output. There are better offsets available, IMO.

You will know you have it right once you see it with a pluge pattern. You want a color free, neutral gray, and of course, you want that white clean and bright.

I am using Chad473's offsets, but wrinklefree's offsets are excellent too. He has a whole website that has a review on the S1 with side to side comparison to a Kuro after grayscale calibration.

I found for my set, wrinklefrees was still a tad green, but chads was perfect. Chad also had the exact same starting offset drives that I did, for what thats worth.

What website is this from? Wheres the link?
post #113 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM

I have been playing with my new 54s2 all weekend. No complaints here.

I did not mess with break in slides. I have been playing XBOX 360 and watching Netflix through the XBOX through component cables. I have been using cinema mode with the previously mentioned settings for movies, and game mode with a cooler color temp for games. No input lag to speak of, and the Halo:Reach beta has been awesome on this TV...

TV looks good mounted on the wall, and looks even better when it is turned on. No buzzing. In my dark basement, the picture is as bright as I need it to be. There's a lot of whining going on in this thread, but the S2 seems to be a really good bang for the buck.
post #114 of 2271 Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI_#73 View Post

What website is this from? Wheres the link?

Here is the link to the calibration and comparison of an S1 vs. Kuro:

http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?p=1741

There is also a 12g Panasonic Plasma calibration tutorial guide, complete with videos of service menu entry, and more:

http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=788

This is the link to all the offsets for a 12g series tv, most are S1 grayscale settings, including the creator of the above website:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17210257
post #115 of 2271 Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I purchased the TC-P50S2 Saturday at a local BB store. Got it home and set it up. I was very disappointed with the background grainy- ness and blur. I went to bed fully intending to return the TV this morning. I read a post in regard to settings to help this problem before I began to re box the TV and return it. I changed the picture mode to "Cinema" droped the sharpness down to zero and WOW! Basketball in HD looks great again. Movies also have that nice smooth texture like my two older Panasonic plasmas excel at.
Thanks to all for the advice! Other picture modes really are terrible for this TV.
I am going to keep this TV now.
Boy that was close!

Quote:

Picture:

Advance Options

I love this!

Beantown. I tried your initial recommend on dropping the sharpness to 0 on Cinema. Worked great! Been using it like that for 10 days now. TV is awesome! I'll play around with your additional settings and see how it goes. This set is wonderful. I'd never dream of returning it.
post #116 of 2271 Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 PM

I have been trying to find the optimal settings for sports viewing on this TV. I have used D-Nices' calibration settings (using Cinema mode) and this works great for movies, but to my eyes looks don't look right for sports. Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings could be considered 'optimal' for watching sports?
post #117 of 2271 Old 05-09-2010, 05:55 PM

I just picked up a 50S2, and I'm loving it. I played around with the settings, have everything set pretty low for now. I noticed that Cool looks a lot better than Warm to my eyes. Does anyone have any tips as to getting to the service menu, and what to change? I'm new to service menu operation, and I know its pretty risky.

Also, does anyone know if you can turn off the "floating blacks"? I know Panasonic is claiming it as a "feature", but its not an option in the Tv's menu. I'm hoping someone figures it out, because it's pretty annoying.
post #118 of 2271 Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Has anyone tried the 1080/24P input? My 50S2 seems to accept the the input, but it seems to make some frames stutter once in a while. This could be my HTPC or TMT3 player. I am also unable to change the 3:2 pulldown setting (grayed out) when I am feeding it a 1080P picture. Is this normal? Thanks.
post #119 of 2271 Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 AM

I've seen several references to running this TV on a computer, or HTPC, but I've also seen a couple customer reviews stating that DVI > HDMI does not work with this TV; and for that matter even PC HDMI to HDMI and to "stick with samsung". I'm fairly confidant that these are probably from some samsung fanboy and/or disgruntled panasonic customer, but want to verify that you guys are using a passive DVI > HDMI adapter.

Thanks for the thread, great info so far.
post #120 of 2271 Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Hey Fuzzy, I am using HDMI to HDMI with a ATI 3200HD built in. The motherboard puts out 1080P from a built in HDMI port. I am playing with the pixel mode. Full RGB vs limited. Still not sure what looks better. Appears the S2 might be able to handle both.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page