The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2271 Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornxtreme View Post

Can't wait till the burn-in disc hits 100 hours or so and I can stop worrying about IR etc.

The break-in disc will not prevent your set from getting IR.
When IR becomes noticeable just run the scrolling white bar for a few minutes and it should take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2271 Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricot View Post

Found it, its still on their website. Will see if its still valid, if not us-appliance is running the same deal, just haven't ever purchased anything from them before.

Tried to purchase, didn't work, contact their online chat, finally said it ended yesterday and something to the effect of " even though they are still advertising it (with no time restrictions) they have not intent to honor what they advertise so screw you for shopping at sears, feel free to fill out the post chat survey.. rep terminates chat. Love that we can advertise things and just not do them, have a nice day, warm fuzzy feeling...

So anyone with experience with US-appliance?
post #183 of 2271 Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricot View Post

Tried to purchase, didn't work, contact their online chat, finally said it ended yesterday and something to the effect of " even though they are still advertising it (with no time restrictions) they have not intent to honor what they advertise so screw you for shopping at sears, feel free to fill out the post chat survey.. rep terminates chat. Love that we can advertise things and just not do them, have a nice day, warm fuzzy feeling...

So anyone with experience with US-appliance?

Go into the local store. My sales guy knocked $50 off using an expired coupon because he really wanted the sale. Commission can be a wonderful thing
post #184 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM

S2 owners: do you wish you got the G20 or G25 model instead? Or maybe you wish you saved some cash with the U2? Or are you happy with the S2.

I'm trying to decide if the S2 would be OK for me, it's reasonably priced here, while the G series is nice but a lot more cash here.

Friend has a 50C2 which is a bargain price, but I think I want the 1080P, enhanced motion resolution, and the A/R filter of the S2 or G series.
post #185 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

AR filter is definitely worth it if your room has any sort of light coming into it.

The G has better black levels and the internet stuff. The internet stuff I already have with my HTPC, so it came down to better black levels or saving $400. I chose the $400.
post #186 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Great question, Thousandaire! I noticed that a lot of people on these boards compare the VT series with the G series, but I would like to see some comparisions with the other Panasonic series as well.
post #187 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thousandaire View Post

S2 owners: do you wish you got the G20 or G25 model instead? Or maybe you wish you saved some cash with the U2? Or are you happy with the S2.

I'm trying to decide if the S2 would be OK for me, it's reasonably priced here, while the G series is nice but a lot more cash here.

Friend has a 50C2 which is a bargain price, but I think I want the 1080P, enhanced motion resolution, and the A/R filter of the S2 or G series.

Bought a 50S2 the day they came out. I now have over 1,000 hrs on it and couldn't be any happier! I figure I'll get the internet connectivity (and wireless to boot) through my upcoming Blu Ray purchase anyhow. George Lucas doesn't need anymore money from me for the THX certification as I'll always set it to my eye anyway. Cinema mode with sharpness set to 0 really works for me. A/R is great as I have a fairly bright room at times. Save the dough! Don't even think of the U2 though ... one look at them side by side will tell you all you need to know.
post #188 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Ar the U2 Plasmas even all that cheaper than the S2 series?
post #189 of 2271 Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz1218 View Post

The more I read this thread the more skeptical I am...

notice the last post on this thread is from 2007 lol ive had 4 plasmas since 05 never seen burn in and i only watch espn!!!

Stop weezing the juice!
post #190 of 2271 Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Yep I'm mostly considering the S2 and G25 series since they have the full motion-resolution and A/R coating. But after watching my friend's C2, I think the U2 series might be acceptable too as regards the shiny screen, if it's in a room without a lot of bright stuff and sunlight to cause reflections. My friend's C2 is actually not bad for screen reflections, but he's in a shady room and mostly views at night, I'd have same situation. In stores the C2 and U2 look bad for reflections since the stores are brighter than homes.

Here in Canada we pay too much for the higher-end bigger-size Panasonics like S2, G25 compared to USA. The retailers are offering fairer prices on the lower end models like C2 and U2. However recently they seem to be occasionally offering more reasonable prices on the S2 and G25 bigger sizes, so there is hope.

What do people think of the cost-cutting idea of getting a smaller but higher-quality TV such as 42" S2 and sit closer to the TV for important viewings (favorite sports & HD movies)? I'm single and generally view alone, so sitting closer to the TV is not a problem, but if you had several people it might not be as convenient (bumping shoulders, fighting for best chair).
post #191 of 2271 Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM

I briefly had 46 inch C2 and the PQ was good. If you are not too discerning, it should be fine. I do recommend you go bigger than 42 inches if your budget can allow it. I live in a one bedroom apartment and my 46 inch was way to small.

Edit: I read your post wrong. You are planning on getting an S2, not a C2. Anyway, you will have to sit ridiculously close to 42" if you are hoping to sit at the recommended distance for that size. If you are not wanting to sit incredibly close and still want the smaller set, you won't miss much by going with a 720p model. Personally, I think it will be more convenient in the long run to buy the biggest set you possibly can...and still sit close for important viewings
post #192 of 2271 Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM

Wondering if anyone could direct me to the owners manual?
I have looked everywhere on the net for the TC-P65S2...

Thanks everyone!
post #193 of 2271 Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Only played with my new 42" S2 for about 30 mins, but I'm digging it!

First power up, I was very worried. I've only read about the first half of these comments, and I saw the grain/noise issue pop up several times, and even on the initial start-up menu, I saw it very clearly! It's like the "pixels" are constantly jumping around. Even on the menu of the ps3, I could see it. Then I switched from Standard to Cinema, and poof, it was gone. Picture was totally solid.

In fact, every other setting except for Standard, it looks fine. Why Standard looks strange, I have no idea. And as for the other settings, I personally think they can all look fairly similar, except for the overall brightness of the set (not brightness in terms of black level, but sheer light output). Cinema is darker, then custom, game, and vivid. They look different by default of course, but I think you could make them all fairly similar by changing the color temps, etc.

The way I see it working, is that depending on your lighting conditions, you can switch between pre-sets depending on how bright you want the set (night vs day for example).

But once I got off the Standard preset and it's noise, this set is looking awesome. Still need to finish reading the posts here and try some of the custom settings, but I have very high hopes.

And I'm coming to this model from a Samsung PN42C450. The Samsung made a terrible buzzing sound. Thankfully, this Panasonic is whisper quiet! Even up close, I can't hear a thing. Love it.
post #194 of 2271 Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post

Only played with my new 42" S2 for about 30 mins, but I'm digging it!

First power up, I was very worried. I've only read about the first half these comments, and I saw the grain/noise issue pop up several times, and even on the initial start-up menu, I saw it very clearly! It's like the "pixels" are constantly jumping around. Even on the menu of the ps3, I could see it. Then I switched from Standard to Cinema, and poof, it was gone. Picture was totally solid.

In fact, every other setting except for Standard, it looks fine. Why Standard looks strange, I have no idea. And as for the other settings, I personally think they can all look fairly similar, except for the overall brightness of the set (not brightness in terms of black level, but sheer light output). Cinema is darker, then custom, game, and vivid. They look different by default of course, but I think you could make them all fairly similar by changing the color temps, etc.

The way I see it working, is that depending on your lighting conditions, you can switch between pre-sets depending on how bright you want the set (night vs day for example).

But once I got off the Standard preset and it's noise, this set is looking awesome. Still need to finish reading the posts here and try some of the custom settings, but I have very high hopes.

And I'm coming to this model from a Samsung PN42C450. The Samsung had terrible buzzing sounds. Thankfully, this Panasonic is whisper quiet! Even up close, I can hear a thing. Love it.

Are you it's not just standard plasma dithering? Every plasma set has that, since that's how it displays more than just red, green, and blue.

If I watch my 50" from closer than 3' I can see it on every setting. But sitting back on the sofa it's invisible.
post #195 of 2271 Old 07-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Are you it's not just standard plasma dithering? Every plasma set has that, since that's how it displays more than just red, green, and blue.

If I watch my 50" from closer than 3' I can see it on every setting. But sitting back on the sofa it's invisible.

I'll double check....but there was something about standard that was VERY different than the rest. I could see the noise on Standard from 8 feet away. I can try and take a video too. I'll let you know.
post #196 of 2271 Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I'll double check....but there was something about standard that was VERY different than the rest. I could see the noise on Standard from 8 feet away. I can try and take a video too. I'll let you know.

Yep... same here. The floating blacks are most prominent in Standard as well. Between the two issues, Standard is virtually unusable.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #197 of 2271 Old 07-04-2010, 06:30 PM

What are floating blacks? I noticed once or twice on an SD signal that in a dark scene, it was like the brightness changed for no reason. The dark scene seemed to get a little brighter.... when I don't think it should.

Only saw this on the SD signal. Played on the ps3 for quite awhile and didn't notice anything. Am I making this up, or is this floating blacks? any solution?
post #198 of 2271 Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI4Logan View Post

Wondering if anyone could direct me to the owners manual?
I have looked everywhere on the net for the TC-P65S2...

Thanks everyone!

Here ya' go ...
http://service.us.panasonic.com/oper...?model=TCP65S2
There is one manual for both the TC-P58S2 and TC-P65S2.
post #199 of 2271 Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by thousandaire View Post

Depends, as one can get a bigger unit for less cash. In the bigger sizes the S2 and VT25 are the only models made.
post #200 of 2271 Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM

Man I'm frustrated. This is already my 2nd plasma. Returned a samsung because it buzzes.

Now I'm going to return my S2, because the floating blacks are KILLING it for me. In dark scenes, the shifting black level is just all over the place. It's darker, it's lighter, it's darker, it's lighter. In a 20 minute episode of community, it happened at least 10 times. Talk about annoying.

I brightened things up in cinema mode, and it seemed to help some, but it was still there. But I shouldn't HAVE to adjust anything to keep this stupid problem from happening.

At this point, I think I'm going to move to an LCD. Plasmas are just not being nice to me.
post #201 of 2271 Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Man I'm frustrated. This is already my 2nd plasma. Returned a samsung because it buzzes.

Now I'm going to return my S2, because the floating blacks are KILLING it for me. In dark scenes, the shifting black level is just all over the place. It's darker, it's lighter, it's darker, it's lighter. In a 20 minute episode of community, it happened at least 10 times. Talk about annoying.

I brightened things up in cinema mode, and it seemed to help some, but it was still there. But I shouldn't HAVE to adjust anything to keep this stupid problem from happening.

At this point, I think I'm going to move to an LCD. Plasmas are just not being nice to me.

Boy, this is making me nervous! I've got a 58" S2 scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well. The floating black level reports are particularly frustrating because it does not seem to be a consistent problem. So units have the problem, others do not.

Oh, and since you mentioned a buzzing Samsung, I remember purchasing a big Samsung plasma set about 3 or 4 years ago. It had the most beautiful picture I'd ever seen, but the buzzing was unacceptable. It was very loud, and the TV vibrated when it buzzed! I've not even considered another Samsung plasma purchase since. From what I've read on the forums, a good percentage of Samsung plasma sets still buzz louder than they should.
post #202 of 2271 Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

Boy, this is making me nervous! I've got a 58" S2 scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well. The floating black level reports are particularly frustrating because it does not seem to be a consistent problem. So units have the problem, others do not.

Oh, and since you mentioned a buzzing Samsung, I remember purchasing a big Samsung plasma set about 3 or 4 years ago. It had the most beautiful picture I'd ever seen, but the buzzing was unacceptable. It was very loud, and the TV vibrated when it buzzed! I've not even considered another Samsung plasma purchase since. From what I've read on the forums, a good percentage of Samsung plasma sets still buzz louder than they should.

It also depends on the lighting in the room, and just how sensitive you are. I had to show the same scene to my wife about 5 times until she finally saw it, but once I pointed it out, she could see it. I continued to see it, and she didn't always.
post #203 of 2271 Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I have only seen floating blacks once on my 58" (on HDTV, episode of Burn Notice). I keep on theater lighting at night so that could help it, but really I think the size of the set combined with my 9' seating distance makes it hard for me to see since the panel puts out so much light.
post #204 of 2271 Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe all the sets have the problem, it's just that not everyone notices it. Honestly, I've only seen it in one scene of one blu-ray movie without purposely looking for it, and that was at night with all of the lights in the room turned off. I haven't noticed it otherwise.
post #205 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 AM

So are a lot of people finding the Cinema mode giving a good enough picture without any calibration? I don't have the TV yet, but I saw the AVS HD 709 thread in the Calibration board and thought I'd start from there when I finally get my TV.

I'm pretty much a noob with HDTV's. I've had an Olevia LCD 720p 32" the past 3 years and didn't bother with much calibration outside of eyeballing some of the values. Still thought my PS3 games looked fantastic on it (Uncharted 2 and FFXIII to name a few) so I'm guessing I'm going to be pretty happy with the P58S2.
post #206 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 AM

Does it look like the anti-reflective filter on the S2 series is the same filter used on the S1, or has it changed?
post #207 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3stuff View Post

So are a lot of people finding the Cinema mode giving a good enough picture without any calibration? I don't have the TV yet, but I saw the AVS HD 709 thread in the Calibration board and thought I'd start from there when I finally get my TV.

I'm pretty much a noob with HDTV's. I've had an Olevia LCD 720p 32" the past 3 years and didn't bother with much calibration outside of eyeballing some of the values. Still thought my PS3 games looked fantastic on it (Uncharted 2 and FFXIII to name a few) so I'm guessing I'm going to be pretty happy with the P58S2.

I used Cinema mode as a starting point, and adjusted the levels by eye using the videos in Windows 7 Media Center (since I watch mostly on my HTPC). I think there's still a slight green push, but most sets do that to make sports really "pop".
post #208 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
hate to be a broken record, but anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why the 3:2 pulldown submenu (under advanced in picture adjustments) is permanently grayed out, even with 24fps sources?
post #209 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's not permanently greyed out, I've been able to change mine before.
I just can't remember what exactly I was sending to the TV when I was able to change it!
post #210 of 2271 Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

It's not permanently greyed out, I've been able to change mine before.
I just can't remember what exactly I was sending to the TV when I was able to change it!

i have tried everything - 24fps sources - 60hz sources - and always grayed out.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page