The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS2 Owner's Discussion Thread [NO Price talk] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2271 Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Just got a Panasonic TC-P54S2. The break in starts

LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2271 Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 158
You didn't stop unwrapping there did you? More pics please!

I am curious how this compares to the S1, which I own. Looking forward to seeing this thread grow!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 2271 Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got stationed overseas in Korea. I don't have a TV and there is not much of a quality selection at my BX. With that said I am looking forward to picking up this TV tomorrow as it easily should outclass all the sets I have available to me to choose from.
post #4 of 2271 Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I had a chance to get together with with Chris from Cleveland Plasma and take a good look at the new Panasonic S2 plasma. I've worked with some of last year's S1 model, and was eager to see how the S2 compares, given the generally fast and steady improvements in plasma picture quality in the last few years.

While the S2 is not one of the super thin displays, it does run cooler than I have come to expect of a plasma; and it does that without the aid of fans. When I arrived, the white room was fairly bright with sunlight, and the S2's screen looked somewhat milky-gray with no image displayed. It picked up what I considered to be an average amount of glare for a plasma; it was easy to see my reflection looking back at me, though it was softer and more diffuse than on untreated glass. It suffered from the same "double image" at off axis angles as the V10, though I find that more of a curiosity than a flaw in normal everyday viewing.

Chris had run the break in DVD the week before my arrival, and I began by hooking up my calibration equipment and checking the S2's measured performance in different picture modes as it comes from the factory. Measurements sensitive to ambient light were performed either after sunset or with a black blanket covering the screen. Attachments 1 and 2 show out of the box performance in custom and cinema modes. I was surprised to see a distracting amount of graininess and video noise in standard mode, but fortunately it seemed to be limited to that mode. Standard also suffered from severe pumping and instability, so it was unusable in my opinion. Custom had it's own share of problems, which included less severe but still noticeable pumping, white crush, extremely poor gamma, and overly hot color. I tried several experiments and advanced adjustments while in custom mode; unfortunately, nothing could alleviate the poor gamma. Cinema mode brought relief; the image was rock solid, smooth, and bright. Cinema was the best (correction- the only) choice for an accurate picture.

In cinema mode, the S2 behaved somewhat like the S1 models I have calibrated, but with more light output capability. With the S1, cinema mode usually had modest light output capability, and in order to have a bright day mode I would have to use the less accurate standard or custom mode. However, with the S2's increased light output, custom can be made to be an acceptably bright mode for watching in brighter rooms if desired. I ended up calibrating to around 55 fL, though I could have gone higher or lower depending on the lighting conditions of the viewing room. I appreciate that flexibility, and it can be a significant step forward in picture quality if you like to watch with the drapes and blinds open.

Like the S1, the S2's color decoding is not perfect and requires some judgment calls when calibrating. Setting color to 43 brought the red to the correct level and was a good compromise on the other color's intensities. However, setting tint was more of a challenge. Each secondary color required a dramatically different tint setting, so I took the ideal tint setting for cyan, magenta, and yellow and averaged them together for a setting of +11. This technique resulted in a very pleasant but not quite perfect skin tone color. During the final viewing, I felt the skin tones were not quite ruddy enough; so I settled on a setting of +10. However, anything in the range of +8 to +11 would be an acceptable compromise.

The S2's gamma, or brightness ratio as it transitions from dark to bright images, was not quite as accurate as on the S1. This gamma behavior tended to emphasize the brightness of low and middle intensity images. There was also a bit of edge enhancement even with the sharpness turned all the way down. The S2 had perfect, strong resolution in 720P, 1080i, and 1080P. As with a few other Panasonic plasmas, especially older models, there was slightly more green in the white balance in full fields than in small windows. While I use small windows for nearly all my plasma calibrations, I do like to test for color shift with full fields, which showed this up. The issue was not nearly as pronounced as on older Panasonic plasmas like the 700u.

I measured the ANSI contrast ratio at 1203:1, which combined with the high light output, packs a pretty good amount of punch. Blacks measured .009 fL with my profiled Trichromat-1 meter, which I used only for contrast and black measurements due to it's rock solid performance at low light levels.

After the calibration was complete (attachment 3), I settled down for some 1080P/24 Blu Ray goodness. I had two powerful first impressions, which I'll explain below.

Dark images were very easy to see on the S2; too much so. When we hear talk about shadow detail and how one display is so much better than another, generally the set whose shadow detail is more visible is superior. However, there is a such thing as too much shadow detail, where things like dark suits look a little too gray. This can cause the image too look a little washed out and flat, but it is generally only an issue when viewing in a dark room. In a brighter room, the emphasis can be a welcome thing, making the image more palatable. Such was the case with the S2. This is a byproduct of the S2's measured gamma. I found that things which would ordinarily be a very dark shade were much more visible than normal.

My other impression was that skin tones looked very, very nice. That took me by surprise, because I knew how many inaccuracies and resultant judgment calls were involved in the S2's color. Color wasn't quite as rich as it is on a reference grade display, but the overall color was very pleasant. No unseemly yellowish "antique" casts or sunburnt flesh tones were visible.

The image has lots of pop, with bright whites and deep blacks. The image was smooth, with no trace of graininess or false contouring.

There really wasn't that much to complain about with the S2's overall presentation; it's flaws (shadow detail, color) are in the pleasantly inaccurate direction.

Since I also calibrated and reviewed a Panasonic G25 series the same day, I was able to make comparisons between the two. Though I couldn't have them both on at the same time, I was able to switch from one to the other quickly. Room lighting was dark, and I used demo material from DVE and The Dark Knight Blu Rays. Both displays were calibrated to the same light output with a 100% white window.

With both sets turned off and the lights on, the G25's screen looked significantly darker. The G25 picked up less visible reflection as a result. It was much harder to see my reflection in the G25 than in the S2.
Image quality was good on both, but had two very different perspectives. The S2's color was pleasing but less rich; the G25's colors looked more like how I know that material to look on reference grade displays.
The G25 looked more "contrasty", slightly richer, and slightly sharper. The S2, in comparison, looked very good but perhaps a little less exciting. There were a few occasions where I thought I detected some flashlighting or pumping in the G25, but not the S2. My overall impression was that the G25 is much more the Videophile's TV; it's accurate, and if that accuracy shows up flaws in the picture chain, that's the price you pay for having such a revealing display. On the other hand, the S2 is much more Everyman's TV; it's pleasant, looks very good, and never fails to impress your friends and family, but it's not quite being truly faithful to the image. If you are not a super picky videophile, the S2 may well be your dream come true. I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone who loves to watch TV but doesn't care to get caught up in the subtle nuances of being a picky video purist.

Pan S2 custom before.pdf 154.71484375k . file

Pan S2 cinema before.pdf 152.46484375k . file

Pan S2 cinema after.pdf 147.9248046875k . file
post #5 of 2271 Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the report. Sounds like 1 step forward 2 steps back for the S2 this year. Certainly better light output but gamma is worse
post #6 of 2271 Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM

I just purchased a Panasonic 42S2 from Best Buy. My wife and I are happy with the TV; however, we both notice a brightness flicker. It appears to get brighter and then dimmer every 10-30 seconds (I haven't timed it). I have tried several inputs - Blu-Ray, DirecTV HD DVR, and our old DirecTV SD DVR. All have done this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a common problem?

I will most likely return it; however, I want to know if I should get another of the same set or try a different set.

Thank you.

Mike
post #7 of 2271 Old 03-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 11
I have a 46" S1 and am exchanging it because of a couple of dead pixels. I can either exchange it for another S1, or get a different model and pay the difference. I'm considering the S2 or the G20. Do you guys think the S2 is an overall improvement over the S1?

Thanks.
post #8 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Thanks for the review, Chad. Any measurements for luminance on the G25?

post #9 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

Thanks for the review, Chad. Any measurements for luminance on the G25?

Yeah, it's in the text of my G25 review. It was .0083 fL.
Now, both the S2 and G25 black luminance did change a bit if I left the meter taking continuous readings for several minutes. The readings were about 10-20% higher a few minutes later. The readings I published were the average for the first 30 sec to 1 minute of measuring.
post #10 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Great review on the S2 Chad. Now I have to make a decision whether to go S or VT. I don't care about the 3d but certainly would love the better filter for blacks and the more accurate colors. But have to step down to 58" from 65" on the VT and hate the fact that Panasonic has limited our choices. A 58" option in the G series would have been nice. Good stuff, keep the review coming guys.
post #11 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Just picked up the p50s2 Sunday night and so far the TV is great. Turned the settings down pretty low, everything is below 50 to take it safe. I put in Eastbound and Down and notice a lot of static when watching it through my ps3. Anyone else have problem with static in the picture? Is this something that calibration in the future can change?

Running break in slides right now 23/7 taking a 1 hour break in the morning. Hopefully will be able to either love it or hate it in 30 days and exchange for something else if need be.
post #12 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm a fairly new board member here and I just wanted to say thanks to Chad for the extremely useful review of the S2. I'm currently saddled with an old 51" Sony rear projection and I have spent countless hours during the past six months trying to educate myself on my much needed upgrade. I would have happily snatched up a Kuro is one was available but I live in a pretty remote area and have to travel four hours to get to a Best Buy. Reviews like Chad's go a long way with the learning curve and buyer education.

With that said, my new tv would be for movies and gaming primarily in a walkout basement room with controllable light. I would like to get the largest one I can but I can do without the 3D capabilities of the V2x line. I'm not a picky video purist and anything would be an upgrade for what I have. At least early on, the S2 may be a perfect fit for me. I am definitely interested to see what the long term testing will be regarding black levels. Too bad the G2x doesn't come in 60+.
post #13 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yeah, it's in the text of my G25 review. It was .0083 fL.
Now, both the S2 and G25 black luminance did change a bit if I left the meter taking continuous readings for several minutes. The readings were about 10-20% higher a few minutes later. The readings I published were the average for the first 30 sec to 1 minute of measuring.

Ah, I see. I peeked at your review index thinking you might have it there, but it doesn't seem to be listed yet. It's unfortunate to see the luminance hasn't improved since last generation. Hopefully, at least, Panasonic managed to adjust their voltage regulation so that the luminance doesn't rise considerably. Only time will tell, I guess. Have you had any experience with either of the new V panels?

post #14 of 2271 Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike55 View Post

I just purchased a Panasonic 42S2 from Best Buy. My wife and I are happy with the TV; however, we both notice a brightness flicker. It appears to get brighter and then dimmer every 10-30 seconds (I haven't timed it). I have tried several inputs - Blu-Ray, DirecTV HD DVR, and our old DirecTV SD DVR. All have done this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a common problem?

I will most likely return it; however, I want to know if I should get another of the same set or try a different set.

Thank you.

Mike

So I exchanged the set for another, and the new one does not have the brightness flicker that I saw with the first S2. I am happy with the set and plan to attempt to calibrate it soon. I only have a Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up calibration DVD, but that should be better than nothing.
post #15 of 2271 Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmac View Post

Just picked up the p50s2 Sunday night and so far the TV is great. Turned the settings down pretty low, everything is below 50 to take it safe. I put in Eastbound and Down and notice a lot of static when watching it through my ps3. Anyone else have problem with static in the picture? Is this something that calibration in the future can change?.

So I watched another movie, That's it That's all , a snowboard film. Ran it from my external hard drive and through the ps3 and the TV still looked bad. Grainy enough to notice and bother you. Could it be a setting on my PS3 that is messing things up?
post #16 of 2271 Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

I just got my 50S2 yesterday and so far it is everything I had hoped for. Yesterday I was playing with the settings and getting used to the remote. I like the cinema setting the best and have not yet played too much with custom. I only watched it for 6-7 hours so far, but the picture is great. i see no green tint whatsoever, Standard TV is OK as far as it goes, and HD is great. Last night i watched The Wild Thing on Blue Ray and the picture was great! The movie was Ok also.

I also watched the Hurt Locker on Std DVD and the picture looked really good also.

I am new to Plasma, coming from a Sony 36CRT clunker, and plan to play with calibrating the set when it is broken in and I figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any favorite Custom settings to share? I played with them a little bit, but couldn't really improve on Cinema. Also, i read there is a Service Menu and maybe some improvements can be in there. I know to record all the setting before changing anything in the SM and saw several settingd for last years G12 models. i will keep looking for S2 settings, but if someone can point me to them that would be great!

In the last week I picked up a Samsung BD1600, connected to the internet with Netgear ethernet over powerline, and now have Netflix to watch streaming movies. I will give my impression on how Neflix streaming looks in the next few days.

Tom
post #17 of 2271 Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

Ah, I see. I peeked at your review index thinking you might have it there, but it doesn't seem to be listed yet. It's unfortunate to see the luminance hasn't improved since last generation. Hopefully, at least, Panasonic managed to adjust their voltage regulation so that the luminance doesn't rise considerably. Only time will tell, I guess. Have you had any experience with either of the new V panels?

Based on Panasonic's statements, and measurements to date of the S2 and G25 over time, I believe the only prudent assumption is that the MLL at 100-200 hour use will likely triple over 2-3 years. Panasonic's assertion that "The Black Level at this stabilized point will yield excellent picture performance. .." is certainly open to legitimate question.

Wes Sokolosky
post #18 of 2271 Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM

i just picked up the tv and the image is grainy. I had the lgpk550 and traded that in cuz it was a defective panel, but the lg looks way better then this panasonic. The motion was better and the image was sharper. Wonder why? Im tempted to return this on and get the LG again. THere were also much more calibrating options on the lg as well.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
post #19 of 2271 Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmac View Post

So I watched another movie, That's it That's all , a snowboard film. Ran it from my external hard drive and through the ps3 and the TV still looked bad. Grainy enough to notice and bother you. Could it be a setting on my PS3 that is messing things up?

Same here. *Sigh*

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
post #20 of 2271 Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 AM

My 50S2 is not grainy at all. My sources include Brighthouse SD and HD, Samsung Bluray and SD DVDs and lastnight I watched some of Willi Wonka from Netflix streaming (More to see how the colors looked than for the content ) and it was the best i have ever seen it. The 'quality' said 'HD' after it checked the connection speed and it was crisp, clear and the colors were great. The blacks were inky especially in the seen where they go on the Wonka ship through the tunnel. Perhaps the grainy you see is from your source? i have everything connected through HDMI on passthrough from the Samsung 1600 (through my Onkyo 805) and it is fine. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Are there any settings on the 360 to bump up the resolution perhaps?

BTW a google search on "xbox 360 looks grainy" gets several hits with the same issues you are having - so maybe it is the Xbox?

Tom
post #21 of 2271 Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpross View Post

My 50S2 is not grainy at all. My sources include Brighthouse SD and HD, Samsung Bluray and SD DVDs and lastnight I watched some of Willi Wonka from Netflix streaming (More to see how the colors looked than for the content ) and it was the best i have ever seen it. The 'quality' said 'HD' after it checked the connection speed and it was crisp, clear and the colors were great. The blacks were inky especially in the seen where they go on the Wonka ship through the tunnel. Perhaps the grainy you see is from your source? i have everything connected through HDMI on passthrough from the Samsung 1600 (through my Onkyo 805) and it is fine. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Are there any settings on the 360 to bump up the resolution perhaps?

BTW a google search on "xbox 360 looks grainy" gets several hits with the same issues you are having - so maybe it is the Xbox?

If you are to referring to my question I appreciate your input but I do not have 360, I have Playstation 3. When I first set up PS3 to the TV it checked for maximum setting and selected 1080p so I am assuming it automatically put the DVD into the best resolution it can. I am going to give it up to just before the 30 days are due at BB and if it still looks bad I will return it and suck it up and get the G20.
post #22 of 2271 Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 AM

All,

I have a Panasonic 42u1 that I bought on closeout that was incredibly perfect as a HTPC monitor straight out of the box. Hooked to a Mac Hackintosh (GeForce 9500) and looked perfect once the 1:1 pixel mode was enabled.

My boss at work wanted one as well after seeing mine, and I went back to BestBuy and they had the 42s2 only. Picked it up and took it to the office and the PC display / fonts were awful out of the box. So bad that I assumed I had a bad unit or cable or something.

Returned and picked up another one with similar results.

In desperation snagged a 50s2 from BestBuy to play with over the weekend to try to sort out the problem. It now looks fairly decent color wise on my rig at home, but text displayed is distorted and looks awful.

Hoping this is a known issue that has an easy fix. If not, I guess I can try to hunt down another 42u1 or 50u1 and pray my original one isn't something special.

Pulling my hair out and I can't spare any. Searched the forums but can't seem to come up with anything.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks!
post #23 of 2271 Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM

I went to a local retailer today and got a few minutes to play around with the 42 and 46 s2's and g25's side by side.

The first thing I noticed was that the s2 did look very grainy on every mode except for vivid and cinema. Not sure what the deal with this is, but it was very noticeable to me. Mind you that the tv's were showing the in-store promo video. I did not look for this on the G25 for some reason, probably cause the sales people seemed annoyed that I kept playing with the settings on the TV's. So I can't confirm or deny that it is not there on the G25.

Second I noticed on both units that HDMI 3 was labeled as GAME. I assume that this input bypasses any additional processing to cut down on lag.

Finally, I compared both tv's showing the same content. The S2 was set to Cinema with default settings and the contrast set to 60. The G25 was set to the THX mode. The only real differences I could see in the store (mind you it is bright and not great content) is that the G25's blacks seemed a little deeper and the whites seemed to be brighter, but to my eyes, this was very subtle. I did not see any real difference in colors, both modes looked good to me.

My biggest concern is the grainy image under normal viewing. Budget wise, I can get either the 46" S2 or the 42" G25. After seeing them in the store, I am not really swayed either way if the grainy image was the result of poor content or a bad unit or cable.

Anyone else have any face time with both units and care to chime in on where my very hard earned $1000 is better spent?
post #24 of 2271 Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckb1978 View Post

I went to a local retailer today and got a few minutes to play around with the 42 and 46 s2's and g25's side by side.

The first thing I noticed was that the s2 did look very grainy on every mode except for vivid and cinema. Not sure what the deal with this is, but it was very noticeable to me. Mind you that the tv's were showing the in-store promo video. I did not look for this on the G25 for some reason, probably cause the sales people seemed annoyed that I kept playing with the settings on the TV's. So I can't confirm or deny that it is not there on the G25.

Second I noticed on both units that HDMI 3 was labeled as GAME. I assume that this input bypasses any additional processing to cut down on lag.

Finally, I compared both tv's showing the same content. The S2 was set to Cinema with default settings and the contrast set to 60. The G25 was set to the THX mode. The only real differences I could see in the store (mind you it is bright and not great content) is that the G25's blacks seemed a little deeper and the whites seemed to be brighter, but to my eyes, this was very subtle. I did not see any real difference in colors, both modes looked good to me.

My biggest concern is the grainy image under normal viewing. Budget wise, I can get either the 46" S2 or the 42" G25. After seeing them in the store, I am not really swayed either way if the grainy image was the result of poor content or a bad unit or cable.

Anyone else have any face time with both units and care to chime in on where my very hard earned $1000 is better spent?

I have the 50S2 for a week now and right out of the box the picture is great IMO. The SD cable looks very good and bluray and HD cable and other HD sources like Netflix streaming look fantastic. For what you want to spend I would go with the 50" S2 and look at 6Ave with promo code - try "couponcabin" and there are others. No tax, free shipping and i have purchased an Onkyo 805 receiver and Panny 50S2 from them and had perfect results. I too went to hhgreg, BB and other retailers and decided that once you add the delivery and tax it always adds about 15% and put me over my budget which was about 1100. Good luck with what ever you decide. I think you are the right track with Panasonic. There are good review with Samsung also, but when I went to look at them the picture looked the same as the Panny to me.

Also, if you go with the S2, you do not get Netflix streaming as you do with the G20/25 models, however I picked up a Samsung BD1600 which does have the Netflix built in and it was much less than the xtra I would have forked over to get it with the TV...and...you get a Bluray player to boot! Note: the older G10/15 do not and will not get Netflix...something about the chip cannot be upgraded.

Good luck - shopping around seems like half the fun!

Tom
post #25 of 2271 Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 PM

had my 50S2 for a week now and notice the picture is grainy on all inputs. Bluray SonyBDP350 thru HDMI, Cablevision HD DVR Sci Atlanta 8300 thru HDMI, and Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD thru component cables.

At first I thought it was interference or a ground problem in the power outlet but all those checks revealed nothing wrong.

Its pretty noticable and quite annoying. Is this a defect in my panel or is this just inherent to this TV?
post #26 of 2271 Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthy lacy View Post

had my 50S2 for a week now and notice the picture is grainy on all inputs. Bluray SonyBDP350 thru HDMI, Cablevision HD DVR Sci Atlanta 8300 thru HDMI, and Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD thru component cables.

At first I thought it was interference or a ground problem in the power outlet but all those checks revealed nothing wrong.

Its pretty noticable and quite annoying. Is this a defect in my panel or is this just inherent to this TV?

It is not inherent to the TV. I have the 50S2 and Blu-ray, HD cable etc look awesome! It is either the panel or the cables or some kind of other interference with the signal. The only time I get a grainy signal is when my internet is acting up and Netflix streaming only goes to 50% resolution. Maybe go into the TV menu and reset to the default settings, make sure no interference is behind the TV such as UPS, flourescent lights, powerlines, etc across or near the cables, use a known good HDMI cable, or try another one of the HDMI inputs. Sounds like you tried most of that already though. Not really sure what to do after that...call where you bought it from and see if they have tech support or maybe someone else who fixed the same problem will chime in.

Tom
post #27 of 2271 Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM

I'm wondering if what i'm seeing is what i have researched called "dithering." Is dithering inherent to plasma tv in this intensity? I can easily see it on my screen from six feet away while watching The Dark Knight BD.

I'm going to wait a few more weeks and see if the problem resolves itself through continued "exercise" of the panel but any more insights anyone can give me would be well appreciated.
post #28 of 2271 Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM

mouthy lacy,

I research dithering as well once you mentioned it and I believe that is what I have going on. Do your bright scenes, especially anything that is white, appear to be bouncing/moving rapidly? I can notice it from my couch and when I get close to the tv it appears like all the pixels are moving really fast and causing a blur/fuzziness. The lack of sharpness to the PQ is really bothering me and I am wondering if the G20 would even be any better in this regard. I have about 15 days left on my 30day BB return policy and I do not want to spend more money if I don't have to. Maybe there are other better options in this price range.

Another thing I notice, when watching sports, the scoreboard is fuzzy and very noticeable. On my parent Sharp LCD it is so crisp and looks so clean compared the this constant fuzziness.

Now that I noticed it once and did some research, I can't help but to notice it on everything channel and everything I do...It is getting so annoying.
post #29 of 2271 Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

And 1 to 1 seems ideal.

I am running the various outputs through my DVDO-Edge for ease of switching and to be able to have all my six inputs on a single HDMI cable.

That said, is the power in your household pretty stable and not full of noise?

I've seen other plasmas in the past with some seriously ancient household power and been amazed at how much of the noise ends up on the screen.

It's not as bad as my mom running the Blender or a snowmobile going past the house near the TV when I was a child on an old CRT--but it is pretty rough.

You mention that you have component cables. Are they shielded somewhat? Are they going past a WiFi device, a power-brick like your Xbox 360's vast (won't fit on a wall) bump or anything that could be putting out tons of interference.

I did age my panel appropriately--even though many say it isn't needed--and am running at my own eyeball's happy spot for brightness and contrast/color/et al.

With a high bandwidth 1080p source this is a very happy display (not that I wouldn't prefer the G20 series for the blacks--but that's the only real wont I'd have as I truly don't care about the slow-Viera-Cast Nonsense.) This is a display. It isn't an Interactive Device--no matter how badly the various CE crews want us to see extra value from their pokey little windows.

I'm getting very white whites, very nice skin tones, great blacks, and seriously terrific games and PC input on my S2 54".

CableVision/Jimmy Dolan's House Of Pain--certainly tries my nerves on things like Hockey--as the MPEG Macro-Blocking is a killer--but they are running so little bandwidth per channel that it ought to be a literal crime.

So far, so good on my S2. I'll be curious to see how others feel as it hits wider distribution. For the buck? This one is swell.

Rick Raymo,
Knucklehead Extraordinaire
post #30 of 2271 Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Rick Raymo,

I can't be certain that the building I live in (22 floor condo building) has stable enough power to not cause the noise but I have never had a problem with the power in any other circumstances.

I use HDMI cables and although my wireless router is nearby, it is still a few feet away from the cable that runs from the cable box to the tv. As for the PS3, the power for that is also somewhat close but not close enough to cause a problem. The HDMI cables are a little long so I have them wrapped loosely into a circle form with a tie, doubt that causes a problem.

The cable jack in the wall gets split into the cable for the tv and also into the internet modem. Maybe that causes an issue?

I can't seem to figure it out while here at work but when I get home I will move some of the wires around and see if anything changes.

Thanks for your input and I am glad to hear the S2 is capable of satisfying my needs. I just need to figure out how...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page