2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Had my 63C8000 for a month........it's dead silent. I've had my ears very close to the TV looking for it.......nothing, not a sound. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalena View Post

Even though I have passed the 14 day period (I really wanted to give the TV another go as the PQ is superb) the retailer has arranged for a brand new TV to be delivered on Tuesday (will let you know how it goes). In the event I get another buzzer its goodbye Samsung and hello Panasonic as the retailer is fine with a product swap (and i'll be prepared to pay the difference to upgrade to the Pana). Imo putting up with audible buzzing or being forced to mount the TV above head height just so you don't hear the buzz is not acceptable for a flagship model.

I look forward to hearing your experience with the new replacement set. Also, please post the build date. Thank you.
post #273 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Even though I have passed the 14 day period (I really wanted to give the TV another go as the PQ is superb) the retailer has arranged for a brand new TV to be delivered on Tuesday (will let you know how it goes).

That's funny because I'm getting my replacement 58C7000 delivered on Tuesday as well I wonder how much this buzzing issue is costing Samsung...

Quote:

In the event I get another buzzer its goodbye Samsung and hello Panasonic as the retailer is fine with a product swap (and i'll be prepared to pay the difference to upgrade to the Pana).

Just a heads up, in case you weren't already aware, the Panas do have this annoying floating black level issue which can't be fixed (prior to the Samsung 58C7000 I had the Pana 54V20 which I returned due to this problem). Also as you are probably aware having owned a Pana, the picture quality on the Samsung is much better.

Personally there's no way I could go back to Panasonic after seeing how much better the picture is on the Samsung, but that's just me
post #274 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I have a 58" C8000 with directional buzz. I noticed it immediately when I turned it on and it was scanning for channels (surely there must be legitimate non-buzzers out there as you would have to be on another planet not to notice the buzz when you first switch the TV on, either that or you just don't care).

The buzz is very directional and only noticeable from directly in front of the screen (just great for a 3D TV...) and just left of centre. Of the 5 seats in our living room, 1.5 have noticeable buzz, the others are as quiet as a mouse.

Having owned a Sony Bravia LCD, Philips LCD and Panasonic Viera plasma I'm familiar with normal electronic buzz and plasma buzz, and the Samsung is by far the loudest and imo not acceptable (FWIW the Panasonic plasma is dead quiet and the Bravia is audible because of the fan).

Even though I have passed the 14 day period (I really wanted to give the TV another go as the PQ is superb) the retailer has arranged for a brand new TV to be delivered on Tuesday (will let you know how it goes). In the event I get another buzzer its goodbye Samsung and hello Panasonic as the retailer is fine with a product swap (and i'll be prepared to pay the difference to upgrade to the Pana). Imo putting up with audible buzzing or being forced to mount the TV above head height just so you don't hear the buzz is not acceptable for a flagship model.

So did you just contact Samsung, and they contacted the retailer? And Samsung sent a tech to examine the tv? Is this free? Need to get this done asap on mine, my buzz is not directional at all, it comes from 360 degrees around the tv seemingly at the same volume.
post #275 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinZ28 View Post

So did you just contact Samsung, and they contacted the retailer? And Samsung sent a tech to examine the tv? Is this free? Need to get this done asap on mine, my buzz is not directional at all, it comes from 360 degrees around the tv seemingly at the same volume.

I contacted Samsung first to explain my problem, as I was hoping they would have a solution for this "common problem" and say something like "all we need to do is replace the power supply and it will fix the buzz". However they ran a number of tests over the phone, e.g. turn TV on, mute, does it buzz? sit in normal seat, turn volume to 10, is the buzz still audible? Very quickly they advised that audible buzz in my normal viewing location and above normal listening volume is not normal behavior and classified the TV as DOA. Samsung did advise that while they do not believe that abnormally loud buzzing is a common problem, they did acknowledge that there had been other reports of the problem. I know Samsung have got a bad rep for customer service however the guy I got on the phone was quite accommodating of the situation and did not deny there was an issue.

They gave me a reference number to give to the retailer. Even though I was over the 14 days, the retailer was most helpful and even asked if I would like a replacement of the same product or another product all together. +14 day policy is at the discretion of the retailer.
post #276 of 994 Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM

It seems like every TV I have reviewed on the AVS forum has some issue which makes it unpurchaseable. The 3 plasma makers:

Samsung's - either have loud buzzing noises and/or image retention issues.
LG - Reflective screen is comparable to a mirror in day time viewing and image retention issues.
Panasonic - potential black level issue, no real buzzing issues, no major image retention issues. BUT, the price is way too expensive...Around $3.5K for the 58 inch model with taxes(FL). 58 is the smallest screen I am considering.

And LED LCD models with the off center poor viewing picture makes it ridiculous to drop $3K on one of these TV's as well.

Main question to the pertinence of this board...it sounds like a game of chance making a Samsung purchase currently, as the buzzing sounds horrible. I don't want to even chance having this nightmare issue. I guess I will remain somewhat content with my 56 inch 2007 Sammy DLP until there seems to be overall improvements or price drops(Panny) in the plasma market. Hopefully, the 2011 models will have this issue fixed...

I'm anxious to get an upgrade, but if I'm going to drop $3K on a TV, audible buzzing and image retention is not acceptable....or LCD off angle viewing issues.
post #277 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 AM

I declined my first replacement PN63C8000 because the buzz was just as bad and my 2nd replacement unit was delivered yesterday but was damaged in shipping with a broken glass panel. Now I must wait for yet another replacement in hopes of it being delivered with no damage and less buzz.

If I don't sit center of the panel then the buzz can become somewhat tolerable with high volume but not being able to sit in the sweat spot defeats the purpose of owning the TV. I went to a Best Buy to listen to one of their demo units and couldn't really hear the buzz from the front of the panel but of course it was in huge retail environment. From the back of their unit the buzz was about the same as mine which actually wasn't as loud as their Panasonic V25 demos.
post #278 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi guys, I just pulled the trigger on 590 and it arrived today. After setting it up I could hear a noise like that of small fan in a laptop or something like that when muted or when volume is really low, is this normal?

Is this the buzz or what? Should call samsung right away?
post #279 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amidujusu89 View Post

Hi guys, I just pulled the trigger on 590 and it arrived today. After setting it up I could hear a noise like that of small fan in a laptop or something like that when muted or when volume is really low, is this normal?

Specifics: You hear it sitting how far away? Where is the buzz coming from...dead center in front, back, side? What tv volume # are you at before you can't hear the buzz?
post #280 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Quick addition to the thread. Returning a PN58C8000 due to the buzzing.

The specs:
- Manufactured: August 2010 in Tijuana Mexico (SAMEX)
- Sitting 1.5 ft from wall on a table with EMI reducers on (Wall distance / EMI reducers made no difference.)
- Bought at Best Buy / Magnolia

The noise:
- I could hear the buzzing from over 15 ft away when the sound was muted.
- I could hear the buzzing over normal volume from 10 ft away (TV set to 10 - 20 depending on source. Normal volume for 10' away.)
- Did not bother my wife. (And higher pitched noises normally do.)
- Buzzing seemed worse on blacker pictures. i.e. The HDMI1 screen with no HDMI cable plugged in.
- You could hear the buzzing very well from behind the panel or 1 ft away. In the front it radiated in all directions, but you could hear it better dead center in front of the TV
- To me it sounded like a high pitched fan noise, with one of the fan blades slightly hitting metal. Or the buzzing sound of a transformer. Not very loud, but annoying.
- The Best Buy demo 58" had the buzzing also, but it seemed less pronounced. (Plus it is noisier there.)

The resolution:
- From reviewing this thread I decided sadly - tv has a beautiful picture - not to get another 58". (Most people here said they had buzzing on 58 or 63" versions of the TV.)
- I decided to swap it for a 50" (PN50C8000). On this thread many more people report that they can hear no buzzing on the 50"
- My brother-in-law has a PN50C7000 and I could hear no buzzing further from 1 ft away on his TV. (The noise from behind the panel was quieter also.)
- Exchanged within 5 days of purchase with no issue at Best Buy. (They refunded the difference.)

I'll report back when they deliver the PN50C8000...
post #281 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:

If you do have the buzz you would sure as hell know because it is very loud and very high frequency, and can be heard over the speakers at normal volume (10). Doesn't really sound like you have that though.
post #282 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:

All Plasmas emit a slight buzz that can sound like white noise. If you have a really bad buzzer it will sound like a out door bug zapper. If your panel matches the former than you are a lucky man!
post #283 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post

Had my 63C8000 for a month........it's dead silent. I've had my ears very close to the TV looking for it.......nothing, not a sound. Love it!

I am sorry but i just don't believe you
post #284 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Specifics: You hear it sitting how far away? Where is the buzz coming from...dead center in front, back, side? What tv volume # are you at before you can't hear the buzz?

Like a high pitch fan noise and I'm sitting about 5 ft away. It's barely noticeable at normal volume but as soon as the scene goes quite I could hear the the noise a little.
post #285 of 994 Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM

There is no humming or anything like that though, so that's a plus I guess.
post #286 of 994 Old 09-19-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrok View Post

I am sorry but i just don't believe you

I dont hear any noise from mine either
post #287 of 994 Old 09-19-2010, 03:34 PM

My panel was also manufactured August 2010 in Tijuana Mexico with bad buzz. Could some of you that recently purchased a 58" or 63" model without buzz please post the this info? Thanks!
post #288 of 994 Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM

I wall mounted my panel today but the buzz was a lot worse like I thought it might be and it's already really bad to begin with.

Those with panels that are 58" or 63" with little buzz please post your manufacture info!
post #289 of 994 Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

My panel was also manufactured August 2010 in Tijuana Mexico with bad buzz. Could some of you that recently purchased a 58" or 63" model without buzz please post the this info? Thanks!

July Tijuana no buzz what so ever. Just got the TV back from repair ppl for banding that couldnt be fixed so Samsung is sending a new replacement. Will make sure to open and hook up before handing over mine. I just listened to the back of it for the first time, only for the sake of this thread.

I posted a while ago while the tv was in the shop that it didnt buzz but I also stated that I never listened to the back of it since I didnt hear anything from the front.

I read that this is a high pitch sound, and if that is the case I cant hear some higher frequencies (like dog whistle phone app). But the fiance says she dosnt hear anything either.

Since was made in same location a month prior then would guess it has nothing to do with factory but maybe some other outsource. Who knows! Samsung def knew before August so would seem that since mine is July model they arent really too concerned. Just my $.02
post #290 of 994 Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Got my replacement TV, it has exactly the same buzz. Completely unacceptable.
post #291 of 994 Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue View Post

Got my replacement TV, it has exactly the same buzz. Completely unacceptable.

who was the retailer? and what build date?
post #292 of 994 Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:

who was the retailer? and what build date?

I'm from Australia so retailer is kind of irrelevant but build date is 16th July 2010 as was the previous one. Made in Malaysia.
post #293 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 AM

Have a tech coming to check mine out on Wednesday. They asked me over the phone if I could hear the buzz if I turned the volume up to freakin 20. I wasn't home but said I doubt it if constant sound was playing.

Then asked me if it was just coming from behind the tv, and told them no I can hear it 360 degrees around the tv. So they made a service appointment.
post #294 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM

These Samsung buzzers are totally unacceptable . I have read 3,000 posts all through 2009 on the dreaded buzz and directional buzz, so much so that I avoided Samsung. I waited....and I waited... now end of 2010, and still the same old crap, more buzzers, sets being returned, tech's coming out to change components, etc etc.. granted, several guys say Mine does not buzz, but it seems that in this forum and a few others, the Samsung buzz is still a problem. Not as much as it was in 2009, but the buzzing sets are still there.

The only cure I can see for this buzzing is to buy a Panasonic. I've read, and re read Panasonic G20/25 forums, and I believe there were only about 5 or so posts with a buzzing complaint. I will also say that while the Samsung picture quality might be just a tad better, (Ive seen both) I think having peace of mind is more than worth having to sit there listening to the buzz. It bothers some more than it does other, but anything outside of the normal sound that a plasma makes is really unacceptable in my opinion. I'm pretty much set on buying the Panasonic now, this Samsung crap creeps me out, with my luck I'd buy a Samsung and I'd be so paranoid I'd be listening to every scene change, and brightness shift for the dreaded buzz.

Dont waste your time and money, Samsungs are prone to buzzing, they say its " Normal " ... Get a Panasonic... I'm going to..
post #295 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 View Post

I will also say that while the Samsung picture quality might be just a tad better, (Ive seen both)

Actually the Samsung picture quality is miles ahead of Panasonic. I say that having owned both brands. But you're right about the buzzing, it's totally unacceptable.

I just find the whole situation ridiculous. It seems one cannot buy a TV these days without it having some ridiculous design flaw. Who are these engineers designing these things? Do they have any concept of quality and consistency?
post #296 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM

All my new replacement panels have come from directly from Samsung. I am now waiting for my 3rd replacement but with little hope. The buzz from my panel also emits from front and back. The Panjob V25 at my local Magnolia has an even worse buzz and mine is already pretty damn bad. I beginning to think that those with panels with no buzz have actually just lost a significant part of their hearing frequency range.
post #297 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 PM

Hey guys, my TV only have the high pitch noise during dark scenes and not white scenes.

I called Samsung and they sent me a repair man the next day and he noticed that high pitch sound on black but then told me after taking a looking at the TV that samsung said it's part of the spec.

I'm in a deep hole now.
post #298 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue View Post

Actually the Samsung picture quality is miles ahead of Panasonic. I say that having owned both brands. But you're right about the buzzing, it's totally unacceptable.

I just find the whole situation ridiculous. It seems one cannot buy a TV these days without it having some ridiculous design flaw. Who are these engineers designing these things? Do they have any concept of quality and consistency?

U do realize that ur statement as fact, goes against every single professional expert in the industry right? Samsung can dream and try to trick and "sell" people into thinking they are the best by jacking up their colors out of the box, but the only fact is that they don't have the tech for light or color in phosphors that can match panny. They don't have the panel tech. In fact the panny black levels are FRACTIONS of sammys. And no, they do not rise. Get that one little argument out of ur arsenal. Multiple publications have measured up to 2000+ hrs with no rise. Sammy couldn't get isf cert nor could they get thx to cert any of their tv's.

Everyone knows that the pio kuros tech was years ahead of everything else. Now panny has that. They even have the guy that INVENTED plasma working with them now.

They don't even win in led. Right now LG with sony close behind are tops in led and LCD.

I have also owned both tv's (c8000 and vt25) and could really care less about this panny sammy war. But the samsung didn't even come close on any level.

Now I'm a big samsung fan. I love the galaxy s line and the super amoled display. I love their DLP tv's. I love their fridge and washer and dryer. But these days with tv's they are just OK with everything. Nothing stands out as the best.
post #299 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, my TV only have the high pitch noise during dark scenes and not white scenes.

I called Samsung and they sent me a repair man the next day and he noticed that high pitch sound on black but then told me after taking a looking at the TV that samsung said it's part of the spec.

I'm in a deep hole now.

If my next new replacement has the buzz I may consider trying the repair route but it seems there is little hope
post #300 of 994 Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post

U do realize that ur statement as fact, goes against every single professional expert in the industry right? Samsung can dream and try to trick and "sell" people into thinking they are the best by jacking up their colors out of the box, but the only fact is that they don't have the tech for light or color in phosphors that can match panny.

I don't think you know what you're talking about with regards to colour and picture accuracy. Refer to my calibration charts here. Perfect colour performance from the Samsung. And you even get this colour performance in Game mode too.

Fact: Samsung passes all deinterlacing cadence tests, Panny passes none (this actually matters a lot).
Fact: Panny applies undefeatable low pass video filtering to SD signals, blurring fine details. Samsung doesn't.
Fact: Panny cannot do gradients without noticeable posterisation. Samsung has ZERO posterisation, even under motion.

Quote:

They don't have the panel tech. In fact the panny black levels are FRACTIONS of sammys.

Samsung black levels are on par with most of the 2010 Panasonics range. I measured 0.009ftL for 60hz and 0.014ftL for 50hz. And this is stable, no floating as with the Panas. In this regard they are superior. I would take an extra 0.005ftL over a floating level any day. Also I found Samsung's screen filter to be superior to the Panny filter for daytime viewing.

Quote:

And no, they do not rise.

Not yet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page